RareSox
2021-11-11T14:55:06Z
This is going to come across as somewhat of a vent but, Toon in with Me isn't exactly the same for me. Granted, stereotyping is wrong and it still is today, but I specifically remembered that Bill specifically stated during October 19th's episode, after airing Hare Ribbin, and I quote, "Just to remind you that cartoons during the 1940s and 1950s were originally targeted at an adult audience, and were shown before an theatrical film, alongside other shorts and newsreels."

I bring this up because a few shorts that first aired on Toon in with Me or Saturday Morning Cartoons that once aired unedited, started airing edited, but I think it's only the Indian/Chinese stereotyping. Blackface, I can understand, but these cartoons with those Chinese stereotypes aired uncut before. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm out of touch, or the censors were very stubborn with stereotyping this week.

It kinda boggles with my head a bit, but that's just my opinion.
MTGM
  • MTGM
  • Advanced Member
2021-11-12T00:17:24Z
To give what RareSox said some more context, Bad Luck Blackie, Car of Tomorrow, and Bugs' Bonnets all aired on Toon In with Me this week edited despite airing unedited (or in the case of Car of Tomorrow, with one less edit) in the past. They removed the Chinese gag from Bad Luck Blackie even though that cartoon has aired on the network probably 4 times prior to this week and has been unaltered each time, the Native American car gag was removed from Car of Tomorrow despite being retained during a Saturday Morning Cartoons airing months ago (Chinese car gag was still gone), and Bugs' Bonnets had a very obvious (and somewhat hilarious) edit. During the pilgrim and Indian gag between Elmer and Bugs, the screen zooms in on Elmer's face and the audio gets muted for a few seconds before it returns to normal during the next scene. This cartoon was unaltered when it first aired back in May.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

I assume all of these inconsistencies with what's allowed mainly depend on who's overseeing what and on which day. I'm not defending the stereotypes themselves, I'm just expressing confusion mainly because MeTV airs a lot of programs with similar material in them (primarily those Westerns), and yet the cartoons are constantly being examined with an ultra-observant eye and having scenes edited during reruns despite being untouched whenever they first appeared on the network. This same mentality is likely why the Tom and Jerry cartoons with the maid character, the earlier Speedy Gonzales cartoons, and "The Prowler" episode of the Flintstones seem to be put off limits despite not being that bad overall.
S. C. MacPeter
2021-11-12T05:04:43Z
Well this is a family show, not something like ToonHeads. It appears originally MeTV wasn't checking what was already censored in the copies Warner gave them (I think they mostly began checking after they aired I Tawt a Puddy Kat uncensored) which is why things have shown up censored and uncensored. Except for the gag in Little Quacker, we have these copies uncut elsewhere and quite honestly, I am fine with these edits if it means more people will watch, be happy, and be interested. Still doesn't excuse them in some cases of showing cartoons with the maid, later ones like "Framed Cat", "Puss Button Kitty", and particularly "Saturday Evening Puss" should be perfectly fine for air, and the latter has been used in promos, so they have it!
RareSox
2021-11-12T13:07:41Z
You fellas do make a valid point. If they wanted to air Saturday Evening Puss, the only thing I would see them cutting out is Mammy's face with her running up across the road from the Frontline. Everything else semes fine as it is.

After all, we do keep getting glimpses of clips from Saturday Evening Puss and even Dog Trouble airing in clip form during the start of The Tom and Jerry Show block on Saturday Morning Cartoons.

I guess it's the inconsistencies that MeTV is going through.

We'll just have to see how The Little Orphan is treated tomorrow, although the blackface gag is likely a red flag that MeTV will likely cut. I'll be around to see it before I get a haircut tomorrow, so we'll just see how that rolls out.
raginggoodfella
2021-11-13T13:29:15Z
Originally Posted by: RareSox 

You fellas do make a valid point. If they wanted to air Saturday Evening Puss, the only thing I would see them cutting out is Mammy's face with her running up across the road from the Frontline. Everything else semes fine as it is.

After all, we do keep getting glimpses of clips from Saturday Evening Puss and even Dog Trouble airing in clip form during the start of The Tom and Jerry Show block on Saturday Morning Cartoons.

We'll just have to see how The Little Orphan is treated tomorrow, although the blackface gag is likely a red flag that MeTV will likely cut. I'll be around to see it before I get a haircut tomorrow, so we'll just see how that rolls out.

MeTV could show “Saturday Evening Puss” version with the white teenage girl replacing Mammy instead of doing their own editing.
RareSox
2021-11-14T13:54:03Z
Originally Posted by: raginggoodfella 

MeTV could show “Saturday Evening Puss” version with the white teenage girl replacing Mammy instead of doing their own editing.

To be honest, all they really need to do is just use the redub from the 2000s. They've shown the restored version during the opening scene to The Tom and Jerry show on MeTV. Although the redubbed soundtrack sounds more likely than what you said. I'll keep it in mind though.
nickramer
2021-11-15T15:27:56Z

To be honest, all they really need to do is just use the redub from the 2000s. They've shown the restored version during the opening scene to The Tom and Jerry show on MeTV. Although the redubbed soundtrack sounds more likely than what you said. I'll keep it in mind though.

Yeah, but a lot of people weren't too happy with the redubs if I recall.
RareSox
2021-11-17T17:17:22Z
If that's the case, either the original cut or none at all. I'll take either, besides the redraw.

And I'm not joking, it's only my opinion. Whatever makes MeTV happy. Although we could always ask MeTV to run a Tom and Jerry short featuring Two-Shoes in the Viewer's Choice.
2021-11-18T02:45:51Z
Does anyone know where i can find a good quality version of the 1960 cartoon “Horse Hare”. Digital or physical media would be fine. Please contact me at todays777@aol.com

nickramer
2021-11-26T18:53:24Z

Late replay, but "The Little Orphan" was shown last week and both scenes were edited (though, Two-Shoes was shown for a split second).
RareSox
2021-11-27T02:25:36Z
Why do I get the feeling that MeTV will start to resort to unrestored Turner dubs? I'm not even joking with this one. It's been happening a lot lately.
S. C. MacPeter
2021-11-27T23:48:06Z
Because that's what WB gave them, you have a very odd hate boner for them and I can't any say otherwise because you've made countless jokes about them in the past. Calm down
RareSox
2021-11-28T13:13:43Z
My apologies then. I guess this is the kind of package they had to work with. I can't really blame them for this.
RareSox
2021-11-29T13:06:35Z
Just got done posting today's episode in a server. In case you've missed it, the show was centered around money.

FOUR DOLLAR BILL
Today's shorts:

Heir-Conditioned (WB, 1955) Sylvester and Elmer Fudd
Daffy Dilly (WB, 1948) Daffy Duck
Robin Goodhood (DePatie-Freleng, 1970) Roland and Rattfink
Grin and Share It (MGM, 1957) Droopy
Honey's Money (WB, 1962) Yosemite Sam

Grin and Bear It is aired cropped, as per usual. Besides that, nothing really much of worth, unless you really like Daffy Dilly. But besides that, it's the usual schedule that you'd expect from Toon in with Me, with mentions of His Bitter Half and Hare Trimmed thrown in.
kintutoons32
2021-11-30T02:47:09Z
Originally Posted by: MTGM 

Those Were Wonderful Days restored screenshots.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
First time I ever watched this cartoon but I like it for the fact that it ends with the Fearless Fred knockoff being inflicted with pain. That's poetic justice.

Does anybody know where I can find a full copy of this? I’m planning on doing screenshots for it.
Roxen Trail
2021-12-01T06:34:15Z
Originally Posted by: kintutoons32 

Those Were Wonderful Days restored screenshots.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
First time I ever watched this cartoon but I like it for the fact that it ends with the Fearless Fred knockoff being inflicted with pain. That's poetic justice.

Does anybody know where I can find a full copy of this? I’m planning on doing screenshots for it.

You will have to get in contact with MihaiChetreanu17 on YouTube and ask him on Gmail. He has a folder containing all "Looney Tunes" shorts restored by WB for MeTV airings (minus the ones from MeTV+'s "Sunday Night Cartoons" block) that I cannot share here, as that would be against his wishes and is obviously against this website's rules. The short you mention and seek of is available in that folder!
Roxen Trail
2021-12-01T07:04:57Z

To give what RareSox said some more context, Bad Luck Blackie, Car of Tomorrow, and Bugs' Bonnets all aired on Toon In with Me this week edited despite airing unedited (or in the case of Car of Tomorrow, with one less edit) in the past. They removed the Chinese gag from Bad Luck Blackie even though that cartoon has aired on the network probably 4 times prior to this week and has been unaltered each time, the Native American car gag was removed from Car of Tomorrow despite being retained during a Saturday Morning Cartoons airing months ago (Chinese car gag was still gone), and Bugs' Bonnets had a very obvious (and somewhat hilarious) edit. During the pilgrim and Indian gag between Elmer and Bugs, the screen zooms in on Elmer's face and the audio gets muted for a few seconds before it returns to normal during the next scene. This cartoon was unaltered when it first aired back in May.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

I assume all of these inconsistencies with what's allowed mainly depend on who's overseeing what and on which day. I'm not defending the stereotypes themselves, I'm just expressing confusion mainly because MeTV airs a lot of programs with similar material in them (primarily those Westerns), and yet the cartoons are constantly being examined with an ultra-observant eye and having scenes edited during reruns despite being untouched whenever they first appeared on the network. This same mentality is likely why the Tom and Jerry cartoons with the maid character, the earlier Speedy Gonzales cartoons, and "The Prowler" episode of the Flintstones seem to be put off limits despite not being that bad overall.

I would like to add to MTGM's post here, as he doesn't have MeTV+'s "Sunday Night Cartoons" block! Though I must have mentioned this already (maybe?), but I will just say it again just cause.

"Doggone Cats" aired partially with the scene of Wellington the Dog acting like a Chinese peasant edited; the trashcan lid lands on his head before it cuts to his mistress, which is in contrast to how Cartoon Network, Boomerang, and the WB edited it, where they removed the entire scene, ending only at his mistress yelling at him to come to her. Seriously, it is choppy, let me tell you, perhaps a little more obvious than the edit on "Ain't That Ducky" (I don't know which one's more obvious at this point). Stereotyping IS wrong, but they should at LEAST edit cartoons with more caution and reasonability...

Also, with that out of the way, I want to talk about something else that is on my mind (I cannot make multiple comments, so I have to continue with my reply on this post; sorry about this, MTGM).

It kind of surprises me how MeTV has yet to be given DFE's other theatrical series, such as "The Ant and the Aardvark" (the company's third most popular series, behind "The Pink Panther" and "The Inspector" cartoons; this one is the one that baffles me THE most), "Tijuana Toads", "The Blue Racer", "Hoot Kloot", and "The Dogfather". Not sure about those later "Pink Panther" cartoons from 1970-80, "Misterjaw" and "Crazylegs Crane" though, as most of those are made-for-television; it might be possible MeTV might get all of those as well later into the future, but keep in mind that this is only food for thought and hasn't been proven yet. Given the fact that they have aired post-classic era "Looney Tunes" shorts, as well as "Roland and Rattfink" cartoons from the 1970s on the channel, I can expect most, if not almost all of these series to further join the lineup as well. Stereotypes to note: "Tijuana Toads" is likely going to air, as they have already touched the Speedy Gonzales shorts. I'm pretty sure "The Blue Racer" shorts featuring the Japanese Beetle (maybe, unlike Mammy Two-Shoes in "Tom and Jerry") and the shorts with Native Americans in "Hoot Kloot" (I kind of forgot how many) will likely not be an issue, as they have aired "Roland and Rattfink" shorts with American Indian stereotypes with no problems.

Another thing to note is that it has been one or two months now since "Pantry Panic" has aired on MeTV, and they have yet to air any more public domain "Woody Woodpecker" shorts. Hopefully, like how S.C MacPeter has stated, more public domain stuff will likely join the lineup later. It would be nice to see "Niagara Fools" air on the network!
nickramer
2021-12-01T20:54:31Z
Actually, "Pantry Panic" is the only Woody Woodpecker cartoon that is PD. They have to get Universal's permission and agreement to air any more Lantz shorts.
RareSox
2021-12-02T11:49:03Z
Originally Posted by: nickramer 

Actually, "Pantry Panic" is the only Woody Woodpecker cartoon that is PD. They have to get Universal's permission and agreement to air any more Lantz shorts.

Universal is very stingy with it's IP, especially with cartoons, but it isn't impossible in the slightest. A few months ago, we saw the Screwball Collection release to moderate success among cartoon lovers, for what I know. The best thing we can do is try to convince Universal to restore their classic cartoons in some way shape or form, but the majority of the prints will probably come from the 2007 restorations.

That doesn't mean that Woody becoming a regular on Toon in with Me isn't impossible, as stated earlier. Whatever works for Universal's business should be noted. We've saw the woodpecker enter cult status, so we might've caught Universal's attention in some way, shape, or form. But it's going to be a long road ahead before we see the boid get onto the station. Still nice to see him back in the spotlight in some form though!
Leviathan
2021-12-02T15:51:19Z
Actual cool news; the debut of a Color Classic, restored from the neg with Paramount's blessing.

It airs next Monday at 8 PM EST as part of the Super Colossal Cartoon Christmas block.

https://cartoonresearch....re-in-dreamland-to-metv/ 

UserPostedImage