Tsivc99
2021-07-28T07:15:27Z
Anyone know where I can find good copies of the 50's Popeye shorts online ? A lot of the copies I can find online are in bad quality, have really bad audio, or are out of sync.
Einhander
2021-07-28T18:20:46Z
The real answer is....you can't. Unless you manage to find a decent print somewhere, somehow.
The public domian ones are obviously going to be of questionable quality, but the Turner prints are not much better honestly.
However, Steve Stanchfield did scan a pretty nice print of "Insect to Injury" a while back, but I don't remember if he did any other 50's Popeyes.

Honestly your best bet is to try and wait for a potential 50's continuation of the Warner Archive sets, hopefully when this whole virus stuff is all behind us. Until then, you're just gonna have to bear with the crappy copies out there.
Tsivc99
2021-07-28T21:31:11Z
Yeah, I have the Thunderbean Popeye blu-ray. I had good rips of the Turner prints of a good few of the 50's cartoons for a while until I deleted them, and the place I got them from seems to have been pretty well scrubbed clean of them.
nickramer
2021-07-30T03:46:10Z
Have you check the Boomerang streaming service (which you get a free trial on)? They have the Popeye shorts from the '50's on there.
PopKorn Kat
2021-07-30T04:46:46Z
Originally Posted by: nickramer 

Have you check the Boomerang streaming service (which you get a free trial on)? They have the Popeye shorts from the '50's on there.

The 40s and 50s Popeye shorts on there are the Turner prints, which unfortunately don't look too great.
Gnik_LJN
2021-07-30T17:14:23Z
There's also a very high quality HD transfer of the 1950 short "Beach Peach"... somewhere. It's also part of a Thunderbean set.
Tsivc99
2021-07-31T05:34:41Z
I've seen that before, and it looks great !
Tsivc99
2021-07-31T05:40:21Z
Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat 

The 40s and 50s Popeye shorts on there are the Turner prints, which unfortunately don't look too great.

I had Boomerang at one point, but unsubscribed from it. They seemed to have given up on the app at some point, even before HBO Max came out mind you. It got to where they really weren't adding much new if ever anymore.