mellongraig93
2021-07-22T19:21:12Z
At this time of year it's a summer visit from the King of All Things Cartoons, and the last in Chatsworth (as next season it will move to Pine Mountain Club and be pre-recorded). Nevertheless, here's the description for this show:

"Jerry's back for his annual summer visit as well as appearing on the penultimate edition of "Stu's Show" for season 15. Topics this time out will include his reviews of "Space Jam 2", "Luca", and "Boss Baby 2", plus thoughts on upcoming animated feature releases. He'll also have the latest news in print media and streaming (including both our comments on HBO MAX's "Jellystone"), and as always, we'll be screening three classic cartoons for your viewing pleasure, plus we'll read your e-mails!"

https://www.stusshow.com/ 

I wished we could take calls again like the old days... but something cool will happen next season as well in addition to the e-mail segment if only more people would become a VIP...
Leviathan
2021-07-23T21:51:02Z
No mention at all of home video, not even for Thunderbean. This'll be fun.
nickramer
2021-07-24T05:07:23Z
I don't think that sarcastic comment was called for. Besides, I'm sure there might be a little DVD/Blu-Ray news from Steve (there always is) and perhaps, wishfully, a surprise release.
Kristjan
2021-07-31T03:58:26Z
Originally Posted by: nickramer 

I don't think that sarcastic comment was called for. Besides, I'm sure there might be a little DVD/Blu-Ray news from Steve (there always is) and perhaps, wishfully, a surprise release.

I agree, but what can you expect from the usual suspects.

There always some news when it comes to Thunderbean and Steve so I think we can count on it maybe the long awaited Flip the frog set will be finally annonced for shipping, and I also wonder if they will have him come on the show like last time.

I also wonder if we get any news on the Puppetoons front from Arnold Lebovit is such fun guy to listen to.

Now what can we expect from elsewhere...

1. Disney shorts...don't hold your breath, but considering the finally finished putting every traditional animated features (I'm not counting DTV features) on Blu-ray by doing Disney Movie club exclusive release of The THE BLACK CAULDRON using the exact same copy that was restored/remastered for Disney plus. Which makes me hope they do an Blu-ray re-release of Sword in the Stone considering what kind of horrible disaster the original blu-ray was use the superior copy thats on Disney plus, whether they do retail release or Disney movie club exclusive I don't mind ether way. What I find intresting since Blu-ray was thing that Disney has been more than happy to put out the animated features on blu-ray but they have done next to nothing with the classic shorts. I know lot of managment has changed since the WDT series was being released but there must be someone still at the company awere of it success with collectors for most part. SO I do wonder why they haven't just thought of redoing WDT series as Disney Movie Club blu-ray releases.

2. Mintz/Screen Gems/Columbia - Don't hold your breath on any news on home media releases. If we see anything in future I think our only hope hings on if someone manages to licence the entry library an can do it a justice.

3. Paramount (Fleischer%Famous excluding the Popeyes&Superman) - Don't hold your breath on any news on home media releases. If we see anything in future I think our only hope hings on if someone manages to licence the entry library an can do it a justice. They would be dealing with at least 2-3 companies.

4. Terrytoons - Don't hold your breath on any news on home media releases. If we see anything in future I think our only hope hings on if someone manages to licence the entry library an can do it a justice.

5. Walter Lanz Studio - I think Jerry mentioned last time when he was on Stu show (it could also have been few episodes back), that something was brewing with Universal regarding possible blu-ray release of the Lantz cartoons. Whehter Jerry will annonce something now or next time who know or if anything will happen at all. But I would expect at max that they would be redoing the previous DVDs as Blu-ray so the sets will then mostly only featuring the 1940s and 1950s cartoons like the original DVDs did, so I think we shouldn't expect to see much if any of the 1930, 1960s and 1970s cartoons appart form what we have already seen on DVD.

6. UPA - The entry theatrical library is on DVD, with few expectations, there was never blu-ray release. I don't know why considered that blu-ray had been on the market for few years by then and was still gaining grounds over DVDs. Without knowing the inner workings of those licencing deals its impossible to know whether or not it was TCM & Shout Factory own decision to do DVD only releases in both cases or if Columbia demanded much more in licencing fee if they were going to do them on blu-ray. Which ever the case one thing is clear if we are ever going to see the UPA's theatrical shorts on blu-ray similar licencing deald to that of TCM & Shout Factory would need to happen. Columbia are obviously not going release those on blu-ray and nether are Dreamworks Classics who are probably currents owners of those UPA theatrical cartoons that were not distributed by Columbia.

7. Warner Bros.
a). Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies - Considering that they have at this point restored/remastered in HD x number of LT/MM cartoons that have not seen light of day on blu-ray release of the LT/MM cartoons so fair. Some some of those restorations/remastering dates back to the golden collections and if I understood correctly HD copies were prepered as early as second or the thrid volume of the golden collections and they have done so which each DVD/Blu-ray release since, but thats not all folks they have also remastered/restored bunch of cartoons that so fair have not seen light or day on any home video and were first released on HBO Max or MeTV or Amazon Prime or (Itunes? or Boomerang?) so you would think at this point there wouldn't be too much cost of creating the blu-rays and release those shorts that have already been restored on blu-ray considering they basicly just did that with that Bugs Bunny 80th anniversary collection. I think they could fill quite few blu-rays disc without much problem even if they are still ca. 150-20 cartoons (depending on how you count) short of restoring/remastering everything in the LT/MM library. SO I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry has been keeping mum about future releases in this regard if he mentions nothing on the show then lets hope he gets asked in the emails he might spill some been and hopefully when he is on in december can confirm some actual news if news haven been broken between now and then. With that said I would like to know whats the end goal with these current restorations/remastering have the finally figured out that they are better of restoring the entry library of LT/MM cartoons or is the goal just to restore/remaster everything non controversal so they wont touch up on any cartoons featuring indians and with black characters or will they remaster/restore them like they did with the Censored 11 but wont release them?. Will they attempt to restore/remaster chartoons with damaged master elements such as Beanstalk Bunny?

b) MGM cartoons. I wouldn't be too surprised if whe heard some news whats happening with the Tex Avery vol 3 and I think that should warp up the Tex Avery MGM cartoons, it will be intresting to see whether they will release the the two most controversal Avery cartoons on this disc, Half-Pint Pigmy & Uncle Tom's Cabana. There have been reports that they have been restoring/remastering (maybe not Warner Archive but someone at the Warners) the Barney Bear & Happy Harmonies cartoons and probably? some other miscellaneous (including Captain and the Kids, Count Screwloose, Droopy cartoons not by Avery) cartoons MGM cartoons (I don't know for sure), and then finally then there is the never ending situation/fiasco with Tom and Jerry Golden Collection vol 2 and the Mouse Cleaning & Casanova Cat when those two are actually far as i'm concerned not the worst examples of racisim in Tom and Jerry I actually find His Mouse Friday being worse than both yet the warner censors are more than happy to that cartoon to be released without problem, that just show how non-logical those studio censors are. Its shame thus we are seeing all the non-controversal cartoons that were supposed to be on that set released in some other form. Which makes me wonder why didn't they just move on to Volume 3? The scope cartoons are non-controversal (appart form possibly being boring?) and would probably look great in HD while they try to resolve this problem with volume 2. The sets don't rely have to come out in chronological order as long as you can put the discs in chronological orders in your DVD vallet or the volumes on your shelf if you like to keep the case.

c) Paramount (Popeye and Superman only) - Some fans have called for them to do the Fleischer Popeye cartoons in HD but I doubt that will happen as I don't think they created HD masters of the Popeye cartoons when they were putting the Fleischer Popeye cartoons on DVD. Maybe they will have change of heart at somepoint at minimum you would have liked to see color Specials in HD (so its kind shame that all three weren't included on that Thunderbean blu-ray, if anyone know why only two of them were included please let me know) They have done the 1940s cartoon in stunning HD so they are now left with only 62 Popeye cartoons from 1950s yet to be remastered/restored, thus I would like to think that It wouldn't take many blu-ray disc to get it done probably only 3. If each disc contains 20/21 cartoons. Of course it will cost some dollars to get these all done and they don't own the character trademark so you got to wonder what will happens with the 1950s Popeye cartoons, which ever is going to happen next for those cartoons hopefully Jerry will have some info. I think we will see those on Blu-ray at some point if not now maybe next year or the year after.
I don't think I need to mention the Superman cartoons considering they are in public domain, but Warners have released them on DVD both invidually and as bonus with Christopher Reeves films first on DVD and then blu-ray. But when ported over to Blu-ray they were not upgraded to HD, thus Warner is jet to make proper blu-ray release of the 1940s Superman cartoons. When that will happen who knows, and I doubt that Jerrry will annonce such release while on Stu Show. In the mean time i think you can find some pretty great fan restorations online.

d) Hanna-Barbera Loopy De Loop - Don't be surprised if you see this appear on Blu-ray at some point as Warners are pretty obsessed with obsecure Hanna-Barbera stuff. Concider that Jerry's not fan from what I have managed to gather thus I think we should expect Jerry to annonce on Stu Show a blu-ray release of Loopy De Loop cartoons.
Mesterius
2021-07-31T13:46:29Z
Originally Posted by: Kristjan 

Originally Posted by: nickramer 

I agree, but what can you expect from the usual suspects.

That's pretty ironic considering the "usual suspects" around these parts are you and nickramer.
S. C. MacPeter
2021-07-31T16:51:56Z
Don’t count Fleischers and Terrytoons out of the picture yet, Rockin’ Pins has gotten the rights to some copyrighted Fleischer shorts from Paramount and have scanned some elements to 2K and 4K with elements from the LOC. Not sure about Terrytoons but along with licensing the first merchandise of the characters in DECADES they intend to eventually begin restoring the shorts too
fulano7
2021-07-31T18:41:41Z
Considering the current state of WarnerMedia and Warner Archive, apart from Thunderbean and Leibovit releases, I'm not excited at all. The fact is: Warner Archive ended.

I've watched the second Avery for the first time (via Jack Sparrow) last week, and the DVNR is much more distracting than I thought it would be. In a blu-ray.com thread, people are saying vol. 3 production has been suspended. So if volume 3 ever happens, it will probably be the last, and as we know there is no enough disk space for all 27 remaining cartoons. If vol. 3 get released, they almost certainly will omit the 2 worst un-PC shorts; besided that, math is their friend in regards to other un-PC cartoons - there are 5 more of them, plus Blitz Wolf, allowing a very convenient amount of 19 or 20 non-controversial, family-friendly (? featuring violence, sexism and adult humor, that is) shorts to be included in volume 3.

There are probably no plains to release old or new LT/MM restorations on bluray. Barney Bear or Tom and Jerry Golden Collection vol. 2 happening via WAC is very unlikely because of the reason mentioned in the first paragraph. Happy Harmonies weren't remastered at all. Also, that rumor about WB phasing out physical media actually makes sense in the long term, I mean, they may keep releasing mainstream stuff on bluray in the next 5 years or so, but the distributors' focus in entirely on streaming platforms from now on. The only hope for vintage material - pieces of History being treated as an outdated depiction of society as if life were a software programmed by the media - is to license everything to boutique labels...

Disney = nothing; Paramount = nothing;

PERHAPS Universal or Sony have some plan to their classic cartoon libraries. UPA is done in HD and featured as bonus on Columbia Classics, Universal has a good chunk of Lantz material done in HD and ready to release, too (Kino Lorber?). But I'd never hold my breath for that.
I always come to TTTP in Exile in the hope of finding news about Warner announcing Tex Avery Collection.
raginggoodfella
2021-07-31T22:22:24Z
Originally Posted by: fulano7 

Considering the current state of WarnerMedia and Warner Archive, apart from Thunderbean and Leibovit releases, I'm not excited at all. The fact is: Warner Archive ended.

I've watched the second Avery for the first time (via Jack Sparrow) last week, and the DVNR is much more distracting than I thought it would be. In a blu-ray.com thread, people are saying vol. 3 production has been suspended. So if volume 3 ever happens, it will probably be the last, and as we know there is no enough disk space for all 27 remaining cartoons. If vol. 3 get released, they almost certainly will omit the 2 worst un-PC shorts; besided that, math is their friend in regards to other un-PC cartoons - there are 5 more of them, plus Blitz Wolf, allowing a very convenient amount of 19 or 20 non-controversial, family-friendly (? featuring violence, sexism and adult humor, that is) shorts to be included in volume 3..

Why can’t 27 cartoon shorts fit on a blu ray? Plus if Warner screws up the pitch of the cartoons like they have done in the past, they easily can fit the rest of his MGMs plus some other Tex Avery un-pc cartoons from his time with Warner Brothers.
nickramer
2021-08-01T04:24:35Z

I've watched the second Avery for the first time (via Jack Sparrow) last week, and the DVNR is much more distracting than I thought it would be. In a blu-ray.com thread, people are saying vol. 3 production has been suspended. So if volume 3 ever happens, it will probably be the last, and as we know there is no enough disk space for all 27 remaining cartoons. If vol. 3 get released, they almost certainly will omit the 2 worst un-PC shorts; besided that, math is their friend in regards to other un-PC cartoons - there are 5 more of them, plus Blitz Wolf, allowing a very convenient amount of 19 or 20 non-controversial, family-friendly (? featuring violence, sexism and adult humor, that is) shorts to be included in volume 3.

There are probably no plains to release old or new LT/MM restorations on bluray. Barney Bear or Tom and Jerry Golden Collection vol. 2 happening via WAC is very unlikely because of the reason mentioned in the first paragraph. Happy Harmonies weren't remastered at all. Also, that rumor about WB phasing out physical media actually makes sense in the long term, I mean, they may keep releasing mainstream stuff on bluray in the next 5 years or so, but the distributors' focus in entirely on streaming platforms from now on. The only hope for vintage material - pieces of History being treated as an outdated depiction of society as if life were a software programmed by the media - is to license everything to boutique labels...

Disney = nothing; Paramount = nothing;

PERHAPS Universal or Sony have some plan to their classic cartoon libraries. UPA is done in HD and featured as bonus on Columbia Classics, Universal has a good chunk of Lantz material done in HD and ready to release, too (Kino Lorber?). But I'd never hold my breath for that.

Geez, do you have be extremely pessimistic? Somehow, I have the feeling there will be a release being announce very soon. It may be Waners or it may not be. We just have to wait and see.

SuperMuppet64
2021-08-02T22:44:17Z

Considering the current state of WarnerMedia and Warner Archive, apart from Thunderbean and Leibovit releases, I'm not excited at all. The fact is: Warner Archive ended
Disney = nothing; Paramount = nothing

Warner Archive is still around. Only thing is Warner killed off its human element: the podcast. Paramount released one newly-restored short as a special feature on a Blu-ray.

Originally Posted by: S. C. MacPeter 

Don’t count Fleischers and Terrytoons out of the picture yet, Rockin’ Pins has gotten the rights to some copyrighted Fleischer shorts from Paramount and have scanned some elements to 2K and 4K with elements from the LOC. Not sure about Terrytoons but along with licensing the first merchandise of the characters in DECADES they intend to eventually begin restoring the shorts too

I'm gonna need a source for those statements.
mellongraig93
2021-08-03T18:34:43Z
As most of you know, there's good news and bad news about the future of Stu's Show. The good news is Stu's Show will continue for Season 16 (which was announced on March 31) and will be in HD, but the bad news is that Stu's Show will no longer be live on Wednesdays after the August 18th show (the show after Jerry Beck's appearance on August 4th), which is disappointing but understandable given the connection isn't fast enough in Pine Mountain Club. If it wasn't for the VIPs supporting the show, Stu's Show would have ended after this season.

Basically future appearances of Jerry Beck on Stu's Show going forward with animation news will now be recorded either on the weekends (Saturday or Sunday) or if it's a news oriented show, Monday or Tuesday - and these recordings will be flexible instead of being a fixed 4 pm Pacific time slot before the general public gets it at the usual time. As far as e-mails for the general public, those would have to be sent in no later than Saturday morning prior to the recording (or the day whenever the recording is).

But if you are a VIP (hopefully more should become a VIP before the new season starts sometime in October), you can take part in the live session recordings via Zoom by sending a request to Stu and you can ask a question to the guest that way in the final segment. And on top of that, you will get the show the minute it's uploaded and available before the general public.

Speaking of e-mails, tomorrow is the day to send questions/comments to Jerry Beck but keep them brief if you can.
Leviathan
2021-08-03T23:40:32Z
Originally Posted by: SuperMuppet64 

I'm gonna need a source for those statements.

I don't know if this is exactly proof per se, but they posted this recently.

https://twitter.com/Rock...atus/1422375570134863877 

EDIT: They also worked out some kind of deal with Paramount to sell merch with images from copyrighted shorts.

https://twitter.com/Rock...7665260555702275/photo/1 
mellongraig93
2021-08-04T22:59:31Z
Listen live right here as we get set and ready to go:

https://iframe.dacast.com/b/92970/c/447572 
mellongraig93
2021-08-04T23:14:23Z
Cheryl Chase is also in the Chatsworth studio as well today (although off camera), and that show two years ago is playing on the Stu's Show 24/7 channel. Hopefully Stu will do a one-on-one interview with her next season when the show moves up to Pine Mountain Club.

Jerry is going to move as well, though not far away (this is right now at the moment when he's not teaching).

These moves are definitely painful to be honest and it takes a lot of work to move everything from one place to another.

Little news is coming... later in the show, but huge congrats to Jerry on his recent news accomplishments which is big news.
mellongraig93
2021-08-04T23:45:47Z
Movie reviews are coming up next! Space Jam 2, Luca, and Jellystone are on the list, plus The Mitchells vs. the Machines.

Stu mentioned about what he was going to do for next season and he said he'll do some shakedown broadcasts just to test the feed and see if it works before the new season on October 13 (which will tape around the weekend), which is also Show #600. Also there was more Jerry Beck plugs before going to the break.

Encanto, Turning Red, and The Addams Family 2 are also being shown as part of this segment (and yeah trying to keep it at 2 hours show length wise when there's so much to talk about is tough).
mellongraig93
2021-08-05T00:32:48Z
Speaking of books and Luca in general, Jerry Beck's got a book on that, plus Darkwing Duck and the Animator's Survival Kit (4 parts) all via Amazon.

Rant alert coming on Jellystone! To be honest though IMDb is giving this so far a 7.3/10 (I guess Stu is in the minority).
mellongraig93
2021-08-05T00:50:26Z
Boy he really let it out on Jellystone right there, but it's opinion... nevertheless it's home video time.

News (since this moves fast I might have missed a few):
-Thunderbean - Steve Stanchfield finally completed
-Rainbow Parade coming out among others
-Steve will continue with home video content given Warner won't do it

On smaller companies:
-DVD/Blu-ray is sort of dead, but something is happening, new things coming out in December though Jerry will be cautious on what he says, new project in September not from Warner Bros but from another studio, remastered

Oh, Stu gave it away, oh well...
2021-08-05T00:57:06Z
An "interesting project" (famous character of the 40s-60s, not from Warner Bros.) will be released in September.
Otherwise, no big home video news this time, check back in December.
DawnShadow
2021-08-05T00:59:52Z
Originally Posted by: Kristjan 

5. Walter Lanz Studio - I think Jerry mentioned last time when he was on Stu show (it could also have been few episodes back), that something was brewing with Universal regarding possible blu-ray release of the Lantz cartoons. Whehter Jerry will annonce something now or next time who know or if anything will happen at all. But I would expect at max that they would be redoing the previous DVDs as Blu-ray so the sets will then mostly only featuring the 1940s and 1950s cartoons like the original DVDs did, so I think we shouldn't expect to see much if any of the 1930, 1960s and 1970s cartoons appart form what we have already seen on DVD.

So it sounds like this is indeed happening and very soon.
mellongraig93
2021-08-05T01:05:20Z
From the looks of it this show could end in under 3 hours, which hasn't happened in quite some time. The classic cartoons are showing as of now.