drmark7
2021-05-23T06:13:13Z
There is a streaming app similar to PLUTO called "Airy TV". [https://live.airy.tv] Both have "live" programming- with a grid- like cable to search. It has been a curious mix. AIRY recently added 4 new channels. One is "WINNIE'S WORLD" it seems to be a "family" channel with cartoons such as- The 60s UPA DICK TRACY cartoon, sometimes in-between a random Bugs Bunny cartoon will pop up- "Baseball Bugs" "Waikiki Rabbit" and "Box Office Bunny" have been shown, a 70s TV show "Nanny And The Professor", and SHOCKINGLY... the 1950 Walt Disney movie CINDERELLA!!! has been shown over and over. (The channel tag line is "A dream is a wish your heart makes.") The print had a more recent blue Disney logo- but had an older, 35mm film-look and was presented "widescreen" with top and bottom chopped off. I can't believe that was shown on this little indy streaming service! I did some research and found this link about those channels: [https://www.idreamitv.com/home]. Not only did it list CINDERELLA-- It also LISTS as upcoming the original Disney SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS and SLEEPING BEAUTY!!! Can these be legal showings? With many of these type of channels there is no SCHEDULE to know what is upcoming. (The grid just says "Winnie's World") You have to just keep checking back to see what is on next. Kind of like treasure hunting. And there is some if you dig!
PopKorn Kat
2021-05-23T06:58:00Z
This...doesn't sound legal. With how conservative Disney is these days with licensing their stuff out to broadcast outlets, I seriously doubt they authorized this.

I have a question: were the copies of the Looney Tunes shorts you saw recognizably Golden/Platinum Collection prints?
drmark7
2021-05-23T08:04:45Z
>>>I have a question: were the copies of the Looney Tunes shorts you saw recognizably Golden/Platinum Collection prints?

They were notably crisp. Looked nothing like public domain prints.

In the world of streaming TV... there is quite a bit of questionable stuff being shown out there.
drmark7
2021-05-26T05:38:58Z
I saw this mentioned in another post:

>>>https://www.intanibase.com/forum/Posts/t3915-Cinderella--1950--IB-tech-print
>>>I once saw a print of the 1982 reissue on eBay. The film was cropped into a non-
>>>anamorphic "scope" format and had the early-1980s Buena Vista logo at the front.

I believe that is the type of print they are showing. It has the 1980s blue Buena VIsta logo and is shown cropped to widescreen.
Mesterius
2021-05-26T23:07:21Z
I'm looking at Cinderella right now... the quality looks like an upscaled VHS rip. Clearly not even remotely legal.
drmark7
2021-06-08T06:45:02Z
Can't believe the number of Warner Brothers cartoons that have just started appearing on these various "live" streaming services this past month. Prior to this- it has been mainly endless public domain stuff. Now these same outlets are showing such titles as "Ballot Box Bunny", "Rabbit Hood" "Hareway to the Stars" "Beanstalk Bunny" and "Transylvania 6-5000"- in a variety of print quality and aspect ratios. The best being razor sharp "pillar box" original aspect ratio with nothing missing top or bottom. (Full "ears and feet"!) Other ones look fuzzy 3rd generation tape and are altered to fit the rectangular modern screen. With the HBO and Me-TV deals- I can't imagine these are being licensed to these little "Kartoon Carnival" streaming shows. I do remember back in the 70s that WB toons were on many local stations. MH
drmark7
2021-06-09T04:46:53Z
I caught another DISNEY offering today on a streaming channel- "Funnybone" from [simultv.com] They showed the "Headless Horseman" section of Disney's ICHABOD AND MR. TOAD. As an in-between "filler" type segment after a movie. Processed to look widescreen- but looked pretty good.
drmark7
2021-06-16T07:30:21Z
Today Kartoon Circus showed "What's Opera Doc?" in what looked like a sharp, letterboxed print and Disney's Cinderella is showing on multiple of those Simultv streaming channels. I found another report on Simultv which says: Upcoming: “Selected Disney Movies like Cinderella, Pinocchio and Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland” Is there any way these could actually be licensed?

http://rcm.katapy.com/SIMULTV/about 

They go on and on about building up their digital libraries. "We have secured extensive library of over 4500+ foreign and domestic Video-On-Demand (VOD) titles."
SuperMuppet64
2021-06-17T09:29:50Z
they're not licensed. it's that simple.
drmark7
2021-06-23T05:14:04Z
More stuff discovered surfing these streaming channels... They showed an hour of SNAFU cartoons on one of the kids channels! (LOL) Lots of cartoons with racial elements going unedited. Now I'm seeing Terrytoons on a regular basis- they looked taped from earlier TV broadcasts- once or twice a Viacom logo appeared at the end. Too often stretched to fit the new widescreen era. There was a wartime Gandy Goose with a lot of Hitler references and an early Mighty Mouse with the red costume. Also some UPA cartoons: Gerald McBoing Boing and Fox and Crow (both orchestra related.) Some silent(?) Felix the Cat cartoons (Tulips Time, Pedigreed) with crude sound and music. Haven't seen Terry or UPA cartoons on TV in decades. I love the Terrytoons music.
drmark7
2021-07-01T04:43:16Z
>>>(...Not only did it list CINDERELLA-- It also LISTS as upcoming the original Disney SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS and SLEEPING BEAUTY!!! Can these possibly be licensed, legal showings?)

Sure enough... this week they have started showing Walt Disney's SLEEPING BEAUTY. Multiple times so far. On the children's "Winnie Channel" (AIRY.TV streaming) Hideous print. Image missing on all 4 sides. And with some kind of weird grid of dots over it. It ended with a modern Walt Disney logo that was so cut off you could barely see the Disney name.

Earlier this week they showed MYSTERY OF THE APPLEGATE TREASURE/Hardy Boys from The Mickey Mouse Club!

I would like to get to the bottom of how they are doing this. Certainly dodging copyright issues- yet rather publicly. MH
drmark7
2021-07-20T05:48:47Z
The showings of CINDERELLA and SLEEPING BEAUTY have been evasive the past week or two. Has Disney finally caught on? But the latest, strangest thing I've seen on the AIRY streaming service was that they showed a few TV clips from THE BANANA SPLITS and then showed THE BANANA SPLITS in HOCUS POCUS PARK but it was ALTERED and completely re-dubbed to make it about a quest for the Splits to get to COMIC-CON! And they re-used various bits of HB Hoyt Curtin background music as it's soundtrack. Especially the piece I call, "Pixie and Dixie Running Music."