Gnik_LJN
2021-04-23T17:45:14Z
Any credibility in this? If it's been mentioned too much or proven false I'll delete it.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
eutychus
2021-04-23T20:38:07Z
As Jerry said, "Wait and see." But if you've waited until now to start supporting physical media, then you may be part of the issue.
PopKorn Kat
2021-04-23T22:03:07Z
I’ve seen those two posts going around on social media, and people have been really reacting negatively to this news. However, while the transition away from classic 'toon physical releases is disappointing, I wouldn’t take this as a sign that they’re gonna exit from physical media, period.

Just last year, Universal and Warner Bros. announced a new joint venture called Studio Distribution Services , and already new DVD releases have begun cropping up with that brand, such as the first season of the Animaniacs reboot. So we'll definitely see new physical releases from that label. However, I wouldn't expect something on the scale of, say, the Bugs Bunny 80th Anniversary set from now on.

But what do I know? We're not employees of WarnerMedia, so who knows how this is going to unfold. Like Jerry Beck said, we're just gonna have to wait and see.
2021-04-24T00:17:59Z
I'm not that negative either. In the end the biggest victory is Warner restoring the Looney Tunes at the fastest rate they have since the Golden Collections, and perhaps even faster than that. If the entire library is fully restored and in HD, producing Blu-ray sets is relatively cheap. A complete series Blu-ray, for example, is suddenly a never-before-available item. So I'm actually optimistic, at least cautiously, that cool things could still happen.
PopKorn Kat
2021-04-24T02:53:43Z
Jerry Beck has provided clarification on his initial statement.

Here is the link to the original Facebook post where the message was sourced from. 

If the message goes down, here it is:
Quote:

Wow – I blew up the internet! It looks like a little response I made to a cartoon fan wondering if Daffy or Tweety’s anniversary would be celebrated on DVD or blu-ray has blown up and gone viral.
First of all: anyone claiming that Warner Bros. is planning to phase out DVD and Blu-ray beginning in 2022 has taken my words and blown them way way out of context.
Secondly, I do not work for Warner Bros. - I occasionally work freelance as a writer or consultant to their home video group. I know nothing about the inner workings of that department. A few days ago I was asked a few questions by anxious fans worried about the future of physical media – and unfortunately, from my point of view, I didn’t have anything new to report.
Warner’s IS restoring their classic cartoons for HBO-Max (and to air on MeTV) and its obvious that the streaming service is where the Warner cartoon library will live on for the time being. But, I repeat, I do not know anything about what’s going on concerning their Home Video department.
I do know that DVDs and blu-rays will continue to be produced, and that department still exists. All we can do is hope that they will continue to release their cartoon shorts on physical media. That’s all I know – that’s all I can say about this matter.

Leviathan
2021-04-25T01:51:43Z
I wonder if, WB will be more amenable to licensing the shorts out in the future. On the Blu-Ray.com, the Kino Lorber Insider said that Kino would like to take on the WB shorts if the rights ever became available.
2021-04-25T18:20:54Z
But that would be really stupid for WB to phase out it's home media department, so everyone will have the only choice to subscribe to HBO and plus not everyone can afford it. The last thing I want to see coming from the WAC division is the 1950's Popeye Blu-rays, as promised by them after the Tex Avery collections are finalized and released.
S. C. MacPeter
2021-04-26T17:32:40Z
As upsetting as it is, I don't think it's the end, I purely think it's an end for now, kinda like when the GC first ended or the time between Popeye 1940s and PC ending. I'll wait to truly see it end to see if classic animation will end on home media
Blob55
2021-05-02T16:16:38Z
Originally Posted by: TheCartoonMan2003 

But that would be really stupid for WB to phase out it's home media department, so everyone will have the only choice to subscribe to HBO and plus not everyone can afford it. The last thing I want to see coming from the WAC division is the 1950's Popeye Blu-rays, as promised by them after the Tex Avery collections are finalized and released.

Not to mention not all REGIONS have it. Only America gets HBO legally.
Mesterius
2021-05-05T19:13:12Z

That's really the LAST thing you wanna see? There's so much more that could be mined from the Warner and MGM cartoon archives...
2021-05-09T17:59:30Z
Originally Posted by: Mesterius 

That's really the LAST thing you wanna see? There's so much more that could be mined from the Warner and MGM cartoon archives...

Not just that, there's also Quick Draw McGraw set that was planned by WB that got canceled due to lack of source material, a possible Barney Bear set, and probably in the future, that Censored 11 set. I would really take anything. Not to mention there are a few post-1958 H-B cartoons that never showed up in the market DVD or Blu-ray wise.