MeTV launching "Toon In With Me" and "Saturday Morning Cartoons" in 2021- Page 7 - Forum.
S. C. MacPeter
2021-01-18T18:52:47Z
I'm guessing we can expect these to come to HBO Max eventually. I mean, Mouse on 57th street, and Hobo Bobo were already guesses of mine (if my way of guessing is correct it's 100% happening eventually)
S. C. MacPeter
2021-01-19T15:57:07Z
Take note! One of the hardest to find WB shorts (and a personal favorite) "Aqua Duck" is airing February 2nd. It's most likely gonna be a new transfer, it'll look better then any print you can find as of yet, that's for certain
Cool_Cat
2021-01-20T19:53:35Z
I saw some recordings from MeTV (because I'm from Italy), and while they are using new unseen transfers for some shorts (Hobo Bobo looks fantastic), I have some major complaint about the audio quality.

They run one of those multiband compression filters which are generally used in ads to make them sound louder, but in this case it totally destroys the integrity of the audio. For an example take the dancing scene in Bugs Bunny Rides Again.
tashlinfan44
2021-01-20T20:25:25Z
I’d like to chime in about Señor Droopy.

Obviously, the colors on this transfer are eerily similar to the shorts that Warners restored back when they somewhat cared – you can see these darker looking transfers on the Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Volumes 2 & 3, the Mouse Chronicles set, and on the transfers done for the unreleased set of Tom and Jerry Golden Collection Volume 2 (Heavenly Puss, anyone?). This is no coincidence, or so some think.

At least a few people, Thad included, have surmised that these darker restorations (Daredevil Droopy and the aforementioned Señor) were done back in 2010-2012, along with these other darker looking prints. Obviously, they are not up to the standards of other restorations that we had seen from WB at the time, so they were ultimately shelved but are now being used for TV airing.

Thad: if you are seeing this, do you want to chime in or elaborate?
Mesterius
2021-01-20T22:30:55Z
Originally Posted by: tashlinfan44 

Obviously, the colors on this transfer are eerily similar to the shorts that Warners restored back when they somewhat cared – you can see these darker looking transfers on the Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Volumes 2 & 3, the Mouse Chronicles set, and on the transfers done for the unreleased set of Tom and Jerry Golden Collection Volume 2 (Heavenly Puss, anyone?). This is no coincidence, or so some think.

At least a few people, Thad included, have surmised that these darker restorations (Daredevil Droopy and the aforementioned Señor) were done back in 2010-2012, along with these other darker looking prints. Obviously, they are not up to the standards of other restorations that we had seen from WB at the time, so they were ultimately shelved but are now being used for TV airing.

Where has Thad said he thinks the darker-looking Avery HD transfers were done as early as 2012? I know he's said he thinks they were done a few years ago... but that far back? I thought they were done for Warner's overall preservation project of their library, which from my impression began a few years ago (see for instance the Little Rural Riding Hood raw scan on the Summer Stock Blu-ray), as well as for HBO Max.

For the record: I personally don't think it's correct that the bad-color restorations using auto-cleanup color flattening started as early as 2010. Many of the restorations seen in 2011's Tom and Jerry Golden Collection Volume 1 were done directly for that set, around 2010-11, and they look gorgeous color-wise. (Except for the ten cartoons sourced from lower-quality CRI prints, but that's a different matter altogether.)

Nor do I think it's true that Warner has shelved all these transfers because they are not up to the usual standards. If that was correct, Avery Volume 2 wouldn't have been released in the state it was.
tashlinfan44
2021-01-20T22:34:20Z
Originally Posted by: Mesterius 

Originally Posted by: tashlinfan44 

Where has Thad said he thinks the darker-looking Avery HD transfers were done as early as 2012?

Private Facebook group.
Cool_Cat
2021-01-21T16:59:56Z
There’s no way those transfers like Senor Droopy were made in 2012. At best they were made an year ago when they needed new HD masters for streaming services.

The “darker” 2012 transfers, such as those from the second Golden Collection, started to be shown on broadcast, mostly in Europe. For an example on the Swiss public broadcaster sometimes they got those as early as possible, with Canary Row airing before the 3rd Platinum Collection came out and the Gene Deitch shorts airing only 3 months after the DVD release.

These new transfers instead (like Senor Droopy), other than not looking the same, were never shown on TV outside of MeTV. Of course in both cases they used a LUT (a color correction preset) and called it a day, so the colors are bad.

This new “dark” batch only includes MGM cartoons, and uses heavy DNR too sadly. As for Tom and Jerry it includes the academy ratio cartoons from Hic Cup Pup to Pecos Pest, excluding Baby Butch, Downhearted Duckling and Design on Jerry, which are instead part of the “photoshopped titles” batch, and look way better.

EDIT: A major difference between the 2012/2015 transfers and the new ones is this time around they lazily grabbed the audio from old broadcast masters, with barely any post production involved.
MTGM
  • MTGM
  • Advanced Member
2021-01-21T19:35:49Z
Checked the channel guide on my cable box to find out what tomorrow's schedule is (because the 7am Friday schedules on MeTV's website aren't working properly for whatever reason). The description was pretty vague but the characters mentioned by name were Bugs, Marvin the Martian, Popeye, and Tom & Jerry. If anything interesting airs tomorrow (like a new restoration) I'll report back here.
nickramer
2021-01-21T19:53:20Z
Both "Blue Cat Blues" and "One Droopy Knight" were both shown pan and scan today, I believed. Please feel free to correct me.
MTGM
  • MTGM
  • Advanced Member
2021-01-21T20:47:35Z
Originally Posted by: nickramer 

Both "Blue Cat Blues" and "One Droopy Knight" were both shown pan and scan today, I believed. Please feel free to correct me.

You are correct. Also, it seems that they fixed the audio leveling issues with Blue Cat Blues (at least on this copy), so the music and vocals don't overpower the sound effects like they do on the Spotlight Collection and the Boomerang streaming service.
S. C. MacPeter
2021-01-22T05:08:16Z
Originally Posted by: MTGM 

Checked the channel guide on my cable box to find out what tomorrow's schedule is (because the 7am Friday schedules on MeTV's website aren't working properly for whatever reason). The description was pretty vague but the characters mentioned by name were Bugs, Marvin the Martian, Popeye, and Tom & Jerry. If anything interesting airs tomorrow (like a new restoration) I'll report back here.

if you still haven't got it working, it's listed as being:
HARE-WAY TO THE STARS (1958), A GREAT BIG BUNCH OF YOU, INSECT TO INJURY, THE SOLID TIN COYOTE, ADVANCE AND BE MECHANIZED
S. C. MacPeter
2021-01-22T05:12:11Z
It should be noted on Friday Catty Cornered airs, perhaps a new HD restoration? "Could be"
raginggoodfella
2021-01-22T19:46:18Z
Originally Posted by: MTGM 

Originally Posted by: nickramer 

You are correct. Also, it seems that they fixed the audio leveling issues with Blue Cat Blues (at least on this copy), so the music and vocals don't overpower the sound effects like they do on the Spotlight Collection and the Boomerang streaming service.

I thought the music in BLUE CAT BLUES was overpowering the vocals. At least they didn’t cut out the “sad” ending. Anybody notice the dvnr on the spiked mallet in ONE DROOPY KNIGHT?
Bradskey
2021-01-22T20:59:11Z
Wow, A Great Big Bunch of You, going WAY back. Think they'll air any Bosko or Foxy & pals?
Cool_Cat
2021-01-22T21:20:48Z
Blue Cat Blues uses a bad audio mix on both the Turner version and the HD one, it sounds very similar to TV of Tomorrow. This cartoon was aired by accident with the music/effects track on an European channel, and the same problem is there. Older dubs do not show that problem though.

The original optical track was used in the older version (found in one of the Cartoon Moviestars tapes), it sounds way more muffled but the sound effects and voices are heard as intended.

MeTV's audio multiband compression doesn't help in that case either. They really should turn that off, all it does is destroy the dynamics to make the audio sound louder.
S. C. MacPeter
2021-01-22T21:30:41Z
Originally Posted by: Bradskey 

Wow, A Great Big Bunch of You, going WAY back. Think they'll air any Bosko or Foxy & pals?

There was a spot on TV with "Hop and Go", and one with "Shake your Powder Puff", their definitely planning to air the odder B&W shorts.
(I also swore I saw a "What's my Lion" clip without it looking like ass and in HD)
https://twitter.com/Dere...1341112204008050694?s=20 

HOP AND GO
Mario500
2021-01-22T22:25:59Z
(wishes to know about the voices (specifically their provider or providers) of what I had believed to had been an certain movie named "A Great Big Bunch of You" broadcast as part of what I had believed to had been the "Toon In With Me" mentioned at the beginning of this discussion this Friday)
S. C. MacPeter
2021-01-23T05:24:25Z
Is there a copy of Carrotblanca in HD? It appears MeTv is airing it the 6th, so if it isn't, it might be soon!
Mesterius
2021-01-23T13:57:19Z
Originally Posted by: S. C. MacPeter 

Is there a copy of Carrotblanca in HD? It appears MeTv is airing it the 6th, so if it isn't, it might be soon!

According to the IAD's listing , it was released on the 70th anniversary Casablanca Blu-ray. This review says it's in SD on there, however: https://bluray.highdefdi...198/casablanca_70th.html 
HeySteve
2021-01-23T14:19:57Z
"Tortoise Wins by a Hare" aired with an edit that is different than we're used to seeing. The ending gag survived intact, but if you look closely at the newspaper scene, one of the newspaper's headlines has the word "Japs" blurred out.