The Flintstones Complete Series Blu-ray Coming in October - Forum.
DawnShadow
2020-07-16T23:28:40Z
Complete series Blu-ray for The Flintstones coming in October:

https://www.fnac.com/a14...u-ray#int=:NonApplicable |NonApplicable|NonApplicable|14954336|NonApplicable|NonApplicable

Will likely be officially announced at Comic-con next week.
Justin Delbert
2020-07-16T23:37:51Z
They're ready to go since they've all been restored in high definition for HBO Max
DawnShadow
2020-07-16T23:39:27Z
Originally Posted by: Justin Delbert 

They're ready to go since they've all been restored in high definition for HBO Max

Unfortunately with such a low price, I can only assume they're going to cram this onto as few discs as possible and apply the DNR hard. Will probably look better on HBO Max unfortunately.

Also, a huge number of the pre-opening scenes are absent on HBO Max, I hope WHV will fix that for this release but I'm not holding my breath.
Mesterius
2020-07-20T03:52:12Z
Interesting news, but I think this topic belongs in the Television and Web Animation  section. 😉
PopKorn Kat
2020-07-20T04:34:01Z
Mesterius is right. I'm moving this thread to the appropriate section.
Blob55
2020-07-24T08:50:21Z
Originally Posted by: DawnShadow 

Unfortunately with such a low price, I can only assume they're going to cram this onto as few discs as possible and apply the DNR hard. Will probably look better on HBO Max unfortunately.

Also, a huge number of the pre-opening scenes are absent on HBO Max, I hope WHV will fix that for this release but I'm not holding my breath.

I hope it's not riddled with DVNR either. We don't get HBOMax in this country, so there's no way to watch Flintstones in HD.
DawnShadow
2020-08-05T22:35:11Z
Originally Posted by: Blob55 

Originally Posted by: DawnShadow 

I hope it's not riddled with DVNR either. We don't get HBOMax in this country, so there's no way to watch Flintstones in HD.

Confirmed today to be just 10 discs. So unfortunately expect tons of DNR and compression.
nickramer
2020-08-06T03:45:02Z
How do we know DVNR will be on it?
DawnShadow
2020-08-06T05:33:11Z
Originally Posted by: nickramer 

How do we know DVNR will be on it?

I can't imagine them trying to cram it onto 10 discs without their favourite handy tool...
nickramer
2020-08-06T20:10:46Z
Sounds like jumping to conclusions, in my opinion.
DawnShadow
2020-08-06T20:46:12Z
We can all dream that it’s going to be great and somehow magically work on 10 discs, but the reality is, the grain isn’t going to survive with bitrates that low, so it’s either tons of compression and no DNR, or tons of compression as well as DNR. And the compression is going to look bad regardless, the DNR could even help it honestly. It’s not a good thing, but if they’re going to use disturbingly low bitrates, which they are, it’s probably better for them to remove the grain on purpose than have the compression do it even more poorly.
Lee B
2020-11-02T19:01:38Z
No one's talking about this set now that it's out? I guess I'll start.

My very early impressions are that the set is pretty good overall. I've only gotten halfway through disc 1, but those early episodes look nice to my eyes. I find the audio to be fairly low, and I've had to raise the volume on my stereo pretty loud to hear them. Ordinarily that wouldn't be such a big deal, but when the Warner Bros. Television logo hits at the end of each episode, it's so much louder it almost blows me off my couch. If you're going to tack that clip on the end of each episode, why not at least match the audio levels? Not a huge problem, but a little annoying for five seconds at the end of each episode.

As you have probably heard by now, there is an audio issue with one episode, "The Big Bank Robbery", which is missing the music and effects track. Warner's has already started a replacement program, so it's not a life changing problem. For the record, that episode has been screwed up for a while. When MeTV first started carrying The Flintstones, that episode was really strange, it had the audio issue with no music and effects, and the video was really washed out and over exposed looking. Very odd, but I've seen that they've since replaced that one with a fixed version, which I imagine matches up with whatever's on HBOMax. (I may have checked that episode out on Max, but I honestly can't remember at this moment.)

The packaging was a little annoying. I bought mine at Target, and when I gently rocked the box back and forth to see if anything was loose or bouncing around, it sounded perfect. When I opened it at home, multiple discs were actually loose in the box and one hub was broken. I saw some mention of those issues over at the Blu-ray forum as well, so I have to assume it's somewhat widespread. For better or worse, one of the discs that was loose was number 1, which has to be replaced for that audio issue anyway.

Prior to release, a number of people were grousing about how many episodes were being crammed onto a disc, but the half a disc I've watched didn't seem to be suffering any picture issues because of it. Perhaps down the road someone who knows better will point out some failings on that front, but I don't see them. I will say this much though...they've put around 17 episodes on a single disc, while Warner Archive's about-to-be-released Blu for Josie and the Pussycats spreads 16 episodes across TWO discs, so there's probably been SOME potential loss of quality for The Flintstones, whether someone like myself can tell or not. If 17 episodes on a single disc offered no sacrifice or drop in quality whatsoever, WAC wouldn't have used two for Josie. Such is life. (Josie has started shipping from the WB Shop.)

From what I've seen, the episodes DO include the little preview clips at the top of each show. I haven't watched enough to verify that all 166 episodes have 'em though. And someone else pointed out that the Season 1 closing credits are the same for each episode, making the credits information as regards things like who animated any specific episodes useless.

So the set isn't a home run, but it's pretty good overall. Would it have turned out better if WAC had handled the entire thing, without having to pass it off to Warner Home Video? Probably, but we'll never know. With the rise of streaming services and the decline of physical media, this is probably the best (and perhaps LAST) release we're going to get for this content. If you're a Flintstones fan like I am, you'll probably be pretty happy with it.

nickramer
2020-11-03T05:06:56Z
So does the set carry the bonus features from the previous releases or is it really bare bones?
Toonatic
2020-11-05T00:03:55Z
Extras are present and accounted for!

https://www.blu-ray.com/...ies-Blu-ray/1241/#Review 

And so everyone is aware, episode 17 is missing music. Luckily, Warner is doing a replacement program:

https://twitter.com/bill...1320810729998479361?s=21 
Blob55
2020-11-30T17:47:12Z
I wish they'd release the later Flintstones series on Blu-Ray, but they don't seem to be anywhere near as popular.