The IAD Sound Effects Discussion Thread- Page 2 - Forum.
Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead
2020-05-02T21:31:38Z
Originally Posted by: TheKingofCartoons 

What about the Paramount Fleischer/Famous Studios sound effects from 1929 to 1967. They were pretty old, very rare, and so really hard to find these days. I'm talking about the boings, splashes, twangs, and other sound effects done by Jack Mercer, the voice of Popeye who also did the engine motor sputtering, running and whirring all the time. I know Mel Blanc did that one as well in Looney Tunes cartoons. I wonder if the Jack in the Box in the Noveltoons opening from 1943 would've had the boing sound effect when he comes out and opens the letters with a slide up harmonica sound effect that say "Noveltoon" on it? Is there anything that people might want to do to find various sound effects from the Paramount Fleischer/Famous Studios library? Where can i find them?

THanls. Very good. I'd mentiond those in my last post. Mercer didn't do a lot, Merice Manne did,too. Mel Blanc did a lot of effercts in Looney Tunes-i.e., WB and Hanna-Barbera cartoons (incl.that Scooby-Doo Meddlin' Kids ripoff called Speedy Buggy).
2020-05-09T12:11:09Z
You're right, Maurice Manne was a sound effects editor that produced a lot of sound effects during the golden age of animation in Fleischer and Van Beuren cartoons in the 30's and 40's. Maybe someone should start a petition to release a CD copy of all the sound effects done by Maurice Manne from the Paramount Fleischer/Famous Studios and Van Beuren cartoon library. How about that? We could use them in animated cartoons in the future with these old Maurice Manne cartoon sound effects from more than a 100 years ago in the 30's and 40's.
Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead
2020-05-28T17:10:10Z
Noticed that this site was haivng problems, but thankfully online, still logged..in..yes I agree with your comment..!
wiley207
2020-05-28T22:10:15Z
It kind of stinks that the only way the classic Treg Brown bomb falling whistle sound effect can be used in a modern Looney Tunes project is if they get DigiPost.TV to do the post-production audio services. But they don't. Instead they just save DigiPost for the serious DC Comics stuff, and instead go with Audio Circus or Advantage Audio or whatever for the Looney Tunes stuff, so we instead get Hanna-Barbera's "shell screaming whine down" sound effect or whatever, including unfortunately in the new "Looney Tunes Cartoons" revival, which largely sounds a lot more like the Nicktoons that Horta Editorial did the sound editing for in the 90s (mostly like the first two seasons of "Ren and Stimpy" and "Rocko's Modern Life," "The Angry Beavers" and "CatDog.") I'm pretty sure whoever the uncredited sound editor is at Warner Bros. Sound doing these cartoons used to work for Horta Editorial or Hacienda Post or something.
In fact, speaking of DigiPost.TV, I saw an episode of "Goof Troop" they worked on, "As Goof Would Have It." The studio wasn't credited (back when they were called Monterey Post), but Russell Brower and Robert Hargreaves were the credited sound editors, and while it generally used Cartoon Trax sound effects that were typical of "Goof Troop", there were also several WB sound effects as well, INCLUDING the bomb-falling whistle (when Pete fell into a manhole.) It was pretty unusual hearing Monterey/DigiPost work on a Disney show; then again, it seemed "Goof Troop" had so many sound editorial teams involved. The main ones were Horta Editorial, Advantage Audio, and Rich Harrison's team (their sound effects were so startlingly different by this time, using very few Hanna-Barbera sound effects and nothing from Jay Ward/Bullwinkle, instead numerous Cartoon Trax and Series 6000 "The General" sounds), and then there's "As Goof Would Have It" by Monterey Post and "Hallow-Weenies" by EFX Systems, and I think Roy Braverman may have done an episode as well. So the sound effects were very inconsistent for just one show!

BTW, on the same topic, here are my favorite sound effects libraries that I love to use...
my libraries
Yep, the Cartoon Trax/Disney, Hanna-Barbera and Warner Bros. libraries, naturally!
2020-05-29T10:20:06Z
Yeah, i wish Paramount could release a full CD set of all the old sound effects produced by Maurice Mann from Van Beuren and Fleischer/Famous Studios cartoons during the 1930's and 1940's. Do you think we should start a petition on that one? I bet we want to hear sound effects from Fleischer cartoons we've watching like Betty Boop and Popeye. We love to hear the Fleischer/Famous splash sound effect from Gulliver's Travels (1939), the weird whistle wobbling sound effect from Color Classics to Noveltoons which sounds like Mutt and Jeff cartoon as heard in Westward Whoa, some swishing and whizz sound effects from Little Lulu and Superman 1940's cartoons, and the "clink-cl-kl-kl-kl-kl-kl" chain sound effect, along with the saw buzzing, the light clicks, cuckoo whistles, train whistles from 1940's Fleischer/Famous cartoons, and others. Did you know that over hundreds of Fleischer/Famous cartoons in the 30's and 40's had the same sound effetcs done by Maurice Mann who worked at the sound department at Fleischer/Famous Studios making sound effects for Popeye, Superman, and Gulliver's Travels? Well, I have. I heard a lot of really good sound effects from Fleischer cartoons which sound way too different than the Looney Tunes and Hanna Barbera sound effects. But i do believe that these sound effects from Fleischer/Famous Studios cartoons in the 30's and 40's are really hard to rip on software and online nowadays and they are really hard to find. I wish if there is a campaign to release CD sets of Fleischer/Famous Studios sound effects as well as other CD sets of other obscure sound effects from Van Beuren and Terrytoons cartoons from the 30's to the 50's. Won't that be really interesting to see? I bet it would. We might want to start a petition and/or campaign to release CD sets of old sound effects from the cartoons studios of Van Beuren, Terrytoons, and Fleischer/Famous Studios during the 30's and 40's.

However, here are 2 examples of sound effects you might want to hear before we start anything.
The Terry Splash - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zzClxWf0o4 
The Fleischer Squeak noise (Ya know, the one that Pipo Monkey makes from Ape Escape?) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQPgJHbZZNE 

So what do you think of that?
Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead
2020-06-13T05:04:01Z
Originally Posted by: TheKingofCartoons 

Yeah, i wish Paramount could release a full CD set of all the old sound effects produced by Maurice Mann from Van Beuren and Fleischer/Famous Studios cartoons during the 1930's and 1940's. Do you think we should start a petition on that one? I But i do believe that these sound effects from Fleischer/Famous Studios cartoons in the 30's and 40's are really hard to rip on software and online nowadays and they are really hard to find. I wish if there is a campaign to release CD sets of Fleischer/Famous Studios sound effects as well as other CD sets of other obscure sound effects from Van Beuren and Terrytoons cartoons from the 30's to the 50's. Won't that be really interesting to see? I bet it would. ?

Hnmmm:) and those lasted thru the fifties, winding up on FELIX..the WONDERFUL CAT!

Ken Layton
2020-06-14T16:41:33Z
Don't forget some of the Paramount/Famous sound effects not only were heard in Joe Oriolo's Felix the Cat tv cartoons, but also in The Mighty Hercules, Milton the Monster, and Batfink.
OutOfOdor
2020-06-14T20:33:45Z
Originally Posted by: wiley207 

It kind of stinks that the only way the classic Treg Brown bomb falling whistle sound effect can be used in a modern Looney Tunes project is if they get DigiPost.TV to do the post-production audio services. But they don't. Instead they just save DigiPost for the serious DC Comics stuff, and instead go with Audio Circus or Advantage Audio or whatever for the Looney Tunes stuff, so we instead get Hanna-Barbera's "shell screaming whine down" sound effect or whatever

You said it, brother! I think the only time, in recent years, I've heard the classic WB bomb drops in anything "cartoony" was in Tom and Jerry Tales! They should've used whoever edited the Shiver Me Whiskers! DTV movie for that, as that used an abundance of the classic MGM effects.

including unfortunately in the new "Looney Tunes Cartoons" revivalwhich largely sounds a lot more like the Nicktoons that Horta Editorial did the sound editing for in the 90s (mostly like the first two seasons of "Ren and Stimpy" and "Rocko's Modern Life," "The Angry Beavers" and "CatDog.") I'm pretty sure whoever the uncredited sound editor is at Warner Bros. Sound doing these cartoons used to work for Horta Editorial or Hacienda Post or something.

I've felt the same thing. Although the SFX editor is pretty good, I've heard a great volume of classic WB sounds in these [and a few newer Russell Brower stuff like my personal favorite of his, the SINGLE ELECTRONIC CHIME RING], but, yeah, it sounds a lot more like Rocko than a classic WB 'toon. I honestly don't mind the usage of Disney SFX as, as some of you know, Disney SFX did show up in a few classic WB and DFE cartoons, most notably the cat fight sound, which goes back to the mid-30s and Pluto's Judgement Day!

They really should've gotten DigiPost to do these, indeed, although Skywalker Sound would be alright with me as well, as they've got a number of old WB sounds that I don't think are on any of the Sound Ideas or Hollywood Edge libraries bearing WB effects.

It's just really jarring hearing some of Horta Editorial's custom effects like the fiddle scrape and the splats (which actually came from Disney - which is definitely the case, as they show up in The Great Mouse Detective) in a classic WB revival. At least it's better than Robert Duran's work on Wabbit/New Looney Tunes, although I appreciate how he used a wider variety of sounds than what Advantage usually used at the time - I've even heard a "poing" from Sound Ideas' Series 4000 library in one of these, and I don't think Advantage uses that library too much!

As for how the HBO Max Looney Tunes SHOULD sound IMO: I hate to brag, but look no forward than this "enhancement" of one of the Format Films-produced Road-Runner shorts I did sometime back "correcting" the SFX:
https://drive.google.com...FYoU5Fh/view?usp=sharing 
I think I did an alright job here making better use of the classic WB sounds (for the most part), but I'll let you decide for yourself.

In fact, speaking of DigiPost.TV, I saw an episode of "Goof Troop" they worked on, "As Goof Would Have It." The studio wasn't credited (back when they were called Monterey Post), but Russell Brower and Robert Hargreaves were the credited sound editors, and while it generally used Cartoon Trax sound effects that were typical of "Goof Troop", there were also several WB sound effects as well, INCLUDING the bomb-falling whistle (when Pete fell into a manhole.) It was pretty unusual hearing Monterey/DigiPost work on a Disney show; then again, it seemed "Goof Troop" had so many sound editorial teams involved. The main ones were Horta Editorial, Advantage Audio, and Rich Harrison's team (their sound effects were so startlingly different by this time, using very few Hanna-Barbera sound effects and nothing from Jay Ward/Bullwinkle, instead numerous Cartoon Trax and Series 6000 "The General" sounds), and then there's "As Goof Would Have It" by Monterey Post and "Hallow-Weenies" by EFX Systems, and I think Roy Braverman may have done an episode as well. So the sound effects were very inconsistent for just one show!

Interesting - that very well might be a good reason to check out Goof Troop on Disney Plus!
Incidentally, how was Advantage in those days? The only early Advantage project I've seen would be the '93 Pink Panther revival with Matt Frewer (the less said about that voice the better, if they decided to make the Panther talk, couldn't they get Rich Little to do him, or at least get somebody to do that faux-Brit voice used in "Pink Ice" and "Sink Pink"???), and the editing from Paca Thomas isn't very memorable to me IMO, although I do like how he used that one gunfire sound for scrambling feet. (I've also seen a Super Mario World which they did, but nothing too memorable there, just some H-B sounds and the authentic Mario game SFX).

BTW, on the same topic, here are my favorite sound effects libraries that I love to use...
my libraries
Yep, the Cartoon Trax/Disney, Hanna-Barbera and Warner Bros. libraries, naturally!

Nice selection, and I seem to remember you saying somewhere else that you've got Rocky and Bullwinkle library as well! I'd mention what my personal SFX library while editing 'toons might be like, but that's the subject of a whole 'nother post!
"With all respect to the great mousetrap."- Popeye, "The Spinach Overture" (1935)
wiley207
2020-06-17T18:52:13Z
Originally Posted by: OutOfOdor 

I think the only time, in recent years, I've heard the classic WB bomb drops in anything "cartoony" was in Tom and Jerry Tales! They should've used whoever edited the Shiver Me Whiskers! DTV movie for that, as that used an abundance of the classic MGM effects.

Yeah, I think I MIGHT have also heard it in an episode of "Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated," but I could be wrong. An episode might have instead just used H-B's "Shell Screaming Whine Down" and I just misremembered it.
As for "Shiver Me Whiskers," I believe that had the sound editing done by Jason Freedman and Jesse Aruda at Glenwood Editorial. That would've fit better with "Tom and Jerry Tales," instead of essentially being a "Looney Tunes" revival that only has Tom and Jerry...

They really should've gotten DigiPost to do these, indeed, although Skywalker Sound would be alright with me as well, as they've got a number of old WB sounds that I don't think are on any of the Sound Ideas or Hollywood Edge libraries bearing WB effects.

Good choices, or maybe Glenn Oyabe would've been a good choice, as he'd generally mostly use WB sound effects in anything cartoony, even in "What's New, Scooby-Doo?" (Which also used a small selection of H-B sound effects used in a repetitive manner, just like the late 1960s Warner-Seven Arts cartoons!)

Incidentally, how was Advantage in those days?

Lately I had been watching "Scooby-Doo and Guess Who," and unlike most of the other Scooby-Doo stuff they've done, there's a LOT of classic H-B sound effects, including ones I've never heard Advantage Audio use before. I think it may be attributed to how Advantage Audio has been bringing in some new sound designers and editors. But it does also use several of those typical modern Sound Ideas and Hollywood Edge effects and some of Advantage Audio's usual custom sounds (for example editor Shaun Cunningham seems more keen on using Advantage Audio's own falling whistles instead of the H-B one), along with several WB sound effects, including ones not being used in "Looney Tunes Cartoons!" (Nothing rare or unique, just WB sounds that are already on the Sound Ideas Warner Bros. set that we've yet to hear in "Looney Tunes Cartoons," such as the famous junk crash.) In one episode, "Too Many Dummies," a couple of times I heard one of those classic Disney Castle Thunder sound effects (the one on the Sound Ideas H-B library, like Disney used in many of their animated features and shorts from the early 80s up until after "The Great Mouse Detective!") Before this the only other times I've heard Advantage Audio use it was in a couple of "TUFF Puppy" episodes. Now if only they could use it in one of the many Disney shows they work on, like in that newer "Mickey Mouse" series of shorts...
But it would be even more interesting if that Disney/H-B thunder effect showed up in "Looney Tunes Cartoons!" After all, Warner Bros. Sound used it before in "Happiness is a Warm Blanket, Charlie Brown!"
OutOfOdor
2020-06-23T17:45:57Z
Since we've been talking about the SFX of Fleischer and Famous Studios, I guess I'd add something to the conversation myself. For one thing, I've viewed the Famous/Fleischer effects as an East Coast counterpart to the Hanna-Barbera and Jay Ward effects, as a good number of animation studios used them a lot. Some of their original effects are really quite fine, my personal favorites being their wacky guitar sproings and a gulping sound often used for Popeye the Sailor. That weird slide whistle whirl is also pretty nice. Some of their sounds actually came from Warner Bros., like one of their car skids and several ricochets. It would be nice if more of their SFX were available on some professional SFX library - copies of them probably still exist, I bet. There's another sound I quite like from Famous Studios, a little string instrument boing heard at 3:08 in this "Stuffy Durma" cartoon from Hal Seeger's studio:
https://youtu.be/zVH5sUpyFZg 
"With all respect to the great mousetrap."- Popeye, "The Spinach Overture" (1935)
Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead
2020-07-05T06:13:50Z
Originally Posted by: Ken Layton 

Don't forget some of the Paramount/Famous sound effects not only were heard in Joe Oriolo's Felix the Cat tv cartoons, but also in The Mighty Hercules, Milton the Monster, and Batfink.

Absoultely Correct, and in TTV. They had a distorted couple of Hanna-Barbera dash and return sounds (like in "Casper's Cartoon Show"). Also some WB as some one said..
wiley207
2020-10-17T20:51:23Z
So apparently from what I've seen, DigiPost.TV has recently shut down operations. So far they only worked on one DC Comics animated movie earlier this year ("The Phantom Stranger"), and afterward nothing else. Any subsequent DC Comics-related projects have just used Atlas Oceanic Sound & Picture/Sound Rebels, who's also working on the "Animaniacs" revival. I guess DigiPost was unable to thrive on just working on DC Comics animated movies, especially since WBA was increasingly more satisfied with Atlas Oceanic/Sound Rebels, Advantage Audio and Warner Bros. Sound, and I would assume the COVID-19 pandemic also had a big part to play in the closure.
So much for hoping they would've gotten Robert Hargreaves back for the "Animaniacs" revival, unless he begins working at Atlas Oceanic/Sound Rebels, or maybe he could work for Warner Bros. Sound and get involved with "Looney Tunes Cartoons" and such, and hopefully he'll bring copies of those rare WB sound effects that are not on the Sound Ideas Warner Bros. CD set...
OutOfOdor
2020-10-18T17:29:21Z
A real pity, Zak. I liked the SFX work in Tiny Toons and Animaniacs (among other things), and it's a shame that the DigiPost studio is probably out of business. Hopefully Robert moves to Warner Bros. Sound and takes his library with him - that way the HBO Max Looney Tunes could sound more like the classic cartoons.