44 new WB restorations - Forum.
tashlinfan44
2020-08-10T02:17:05Z
https://www.hbomax.com/s...es:GXozhGwOz77DCYwEAABBA 

See that link? Yeah, well go to it, and you see images of 44 newly restored WB cartoons. Full list:

Goofy Geer
The Queen Was in the Parlor
I Wish I Had Wings
A Great Big Bunch of You
The Organ Grinder

I Like Mountain Music
Beauty and the Beast
Mr. and Mrs. Is the Name
Billboard Frolics
The Cat Came Back
Let It Be Me
Bingo Crosbyana
Boulevardier from the Bronx
Egghead Rides Again
I Only Have Eyes for You
Ain't We Got Fun
Dog Daze
The Lyin' Mouse
Busy Bakers
Ceiling Hero
Good Night Elmer
Elmer's Pet Rabbit
The Crackpot Quail
Snowtime to Comedy
Bug Parade
Saddie Silly
The Cagey Carney
Hop, Skip, and a Chump
The Bird Come C.O.D.
Dog Tired
Ding Dog Daddy
From Hand to Mouse
Behind the Meatball
Cracked Quack
Dr. Jekyll's Hyde
Double or Mutton
Don't Axe Me
Mouse Placed Kitten
Fastest With The Mostest
Devil's Feud Cake
D'Fightin Ones
Fystic Mystic
Buggin By A Bee

Yes, this is legendary. Jerry Beck sez - “ Yes - we are working on them [new restorations] at Warner Bros. They will eventually, I hope, show up on HBO Max. “

So yeah. I’ve alerted Thad Komorowski and Devon Baxter, and neither one of them knew. So, news to all of us!

Thoughts?
Jason Todd
2020-08-10T03:17:21Z
I’m beyond thrilled to see this bit of news. Many of those listed, I haven’t seen in years.
PopKorn Kat
2020-08-10T04:13:38Z
This is amazing news, and I believe you, but I have HBO Max myself and I'm just getting a listing of every single Looney Tunes short on the HBO Max service, and I can't find images of any of the shorts listed.

EDIT: Apparently I've only been able to see these images when logged out for some reason...
tashlinfan44
2020-08-10T04:24:16Z
Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat 

This is amazing news, and I believe you, but I have HBO Max myself and I'm just getting a listing of every single Looney Tunes short on the HBO Max service, and I can't find images of any of the shorts listed.

EDIT: Apparently I've only been able to see these images when logged out for some reason...

Yeah, HBO Max plans to drop more on the 18th, so hopefully they’ll show up soon. I contacted them about it and they said they apologize that they’re not on there and they’ll try to add them soon.

To everyone else: I was puzzled as to why masterpieces like The Unruly Hare have been left untouched, but cartoons like Bingo Crosbyana were restored. I reached out to Jerry Beck and this is what he says:

“ It's more of a "complete restoration of our corporate assets project"... Don't get too excited. There are no plans to put them on DVD or blu ray. And many will NOT be on HBO Max. Some will.... There are no plans to release them to the public in any way shape or form. The project is bigger than the cartoons - they are restoring everything: TV series, live shorts, Feature Films... ”
FoxInAFix
2020-08-10T08:09:45Z
You forgot Hamature Night in your list!
MTGM
2020-08-10T11:56:33Z
Most of those screenshots look amazing. I just hope they sound as good as they look. Warner has a tendency skip out on proper audio restoration when you least expect it.
Ian L.
2020-08-10T12:55:18Z
...I'm not seeing anything when I click that link, just the already existing list of cartoons currently available.
tashlinfan44
2020-08-10T14:16:06Z
Originally Posted by: Ian L. 

...I'm not seeing anything when I click that link, just the already existing list of cartoons currently available.

Check again! it works for all of us.

As for the rest o’ ya, more Beck news. He’s begging Warners to put them out on home video, as they aren’t planning to put them out. It all depends on the sales of the Bugs set.
vdubdavid
2020-08-10T14:37:47Z
Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat 

To everyone else: I was puzzled as to why masterpieces like The Unruly Hare have been left untouched, but cartoons like Bingo Crosbyana were restored. I reached out to Jerry Beck and this is what he says:

“ It's more of a "complete restoration of our corporate assets project"... Don't get too excited. There are no plans to put them on DVD or blu ray. And many will NOT be on HBO Max. Some will.... There are no plans to release them to the public in any way shape or form. The project is bigger than the cartoons - they are restoring everything: TV series, live shorts, Feature Films... ”

Good grief, that's incredible! The lack of release plans notwithstanding, this is most welcome news. I can only hope that the people doing the restorations have been given the time and resources to perform the job to the best of their ability.

Please, please, PLEASE don't let this just be a bunch of quickie jobs to simply give us what we (mostly) already had. If there are scenes or titles that can be reinstated or errors stemming from past 'restorations', fixing those errors will earn my undying gratitude. And that goes for everything, not just the cartoons!
Ian L.
2020-08-10T15:24:45Z
Originally Posted by: tashlinfan44 

As for the rest o’ ya, more Beck news. He’s begging Warners to put them out on home video, as they aren’t planning to put them out. It all depends on the sales of the Bugs set.

Could you post a screengrab? I have tried that link while both logged in and logged out of HBO Max and the result is the same.
FoxInAFix
2020-08-10T15:32:10Z

Jerry really is our lord and savior.

Btw I counted 51 first time restorations, plus some 're-do's' like Big House Bunny and Bird in a Bonnet.

Complete list (by Jon Cooke):
S1 Ep 10 - Goopy Geer
S1 Ep 12 - The Queen Was in the Parlor
S1 Ep 14 - I Wish I Had Wings
S1 Ep 15 - A Great Big Bunch of You
S1 Ep 17 - The Organ Grinder
S1 Ep 18 - I Like Mountain Music
S1 Ep 22 - Beauty and the Beast
S1 Ep 28 - Mr and Mrs is the Name
S1 Ep 34 - Billboard Frolics
S2 Ep 14 - The Cat Came Back
S2 Ep 18 - Let It Be Me
S2 Ep 21 - Bingo Crosbyana
S2 Ep 24 - Boulevardier From the Bronx
S3 Ep 14 - I Only Have Eyes For You
S3 Ep 15 - Ain't We Got Fun
S3 Ep 17 - Egghead Rides Again
S3 Ep 20 - Dog Daze
S3 Ep 23 - The Lyin' Mouse
S4 Ep 18 - The Penguin Parade
S4 Ep 20 - Cinderella Meets Fella
S4 Ep 23 - The Mice Will Play
S5 Ep 16 - Hamateur Night
S5 Ep 18 - Robin Hood Makes Good
S5 Ep 22 - Dangerous Dan McFoo
S5 Ep 28 - The Curious Puppy
S6 Ep 17 - Busy Bakers
S6 Ep 22 - Ceiling Hero
S6 Ep 25 - Good Night Elmer
S7 Ep 20 - Elmer's Pet Rabbit
S7 Ep 21 - The Crackpot Quail
S7 Ep 26 - Showtime for Comedy
S7 Ep 27 - The Bug Parade
S7 Ep 28 - Saddle Silly
S7 Ep 29 - The Cagey Canary
S8 Ep 24 - Hop, Skip and a Chump
S8 Ep 25 - The Bird Came C.O.D.
S8 Ep 26 - Dog Tired
S8 Ep 32 - Ding Dog Daddy
S10 Ep 23 - From Hand to Mouse
S10 Ep 25 - Behind the Meatball
S12 Ep 10 - The Goofy Gophers
S14 Ep 26 - Bad Ol' Putty Tat
S15 Ep 22 - Big House Bunny
S16 Ep 15 - Big Top Bunny
S16 Ep 25 - Early to Bet
S17 Ep 22 - Bird in a Guilty Cage
S17 Ep 27 - Cracked Quack
S18 Ep 15 - Easy Peckins
S19 Ep 25 - Dr. Jerkyl's Hide
S20 Ep 29 - Double or Mutton
S22 Ep 25 - Bugsy and Mugsy
S23 Ep 10 - A Bird in a Bonnet
S23 Ep 16 - Don't Axe Me
S24 Ep 18 - Baton Bunny
S25 Ep 12 - Fastest With the Mostest
S26 Ep 12 - D' Fightin' Ones
S28 Ep 9 - Devil's Feud Cake
S30 Ep 24 - Fistic Mystic
S30 Ep 30 - Bugged By a Bee
S31 Ep 24 - Cock-a-Doodle Duel
tashlinfan44
2020-08-10T15:44:06Z

Could you post a screengrab? I have tried that link while both logged in and logged out of HBO Max and the result is the same.

Here ya go! The 1937 selections!

https://ibb.co/FJzRDg0 
fulano7
2020-08-10T16:56:25Z

Very good news, I'm positively surprised and actually excited that such a preservation project exists!

Gradually, the video streaming platforms are becoming more or less a Spotify of movies, and I think it's excellent. Most of the recording companies (Sony, Universal...) have similar projects of restoring their archives (LPs, rare singles that otherwise wouldn't be released on CD etc.) and putting on the platform.

The major film distributors like Warner, sooner or later, will do the same thing with their library. The next major step is to make the material available to the public, but it isn't simple. Movies are different from music, and USA are in political turmoil. Many subjects and imagery are being banned of mainstream release by some major companies that somehow are very involved in and committed to a political agenda. I don't think we'll get Song of the South, All This and Rabbit Stew anytime soon... But at least, everything is being preserved.
I always come to TTTP in Exile in the hope of finding news about Warner announcing Tex Avery Collection.
Leviathan
2020-08-11T00:35:51Z
The single biggest issue with classic cartoon restorations was that they were only done with home video in mind and every release had to turn a profit. That's why it took Porky 101 and Popeye from the WAC to sell for restorations to resume.

If there's an internal mandate for restoring these things divorced from home video, I REALLY doubt that WAC and WHV won't be allowed to make use of them. Especially since the existing WAC discs have proven to be strong sellers.

I hope this means that we'll get proper restoration of those botched Porky Pigs from Porky 101.

Mesterius
2020-08-11T04:10:51Z
Originally Posted by: Leviathan 

The single biggest issue with classic cartoon restorations was that they were only done with home video in mind and every release had to turn a profit. That's why it took Porky 101 and Popeye from the WAC to sell for restorations to resume.

If there's an internal mandate for restoring these things divorced from home video, I REALLY doubt that WAC and WHV won't be allowed to make use of them. Especially since the existing WAC discs have proven to be strong sellers.

I hope this means that we'll get proper restoration of those botched Porky Pigs from Porky 101.

Considering what we've already heard about cartoon shorts restored directly for HBO Max, I'm sceptical whether or not these will really be full-fledged restorations. I'd rather not see more restorations with flattened, off-looking colors.
speedy fast
2020-08-11T05:21:29Z

I wonder if they're really restoring everything, or if it's more them making digital back-up copies of everything. Are the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies restorations going to be done the same way as the restorations had been for most of the past DVD titles?
tashlinfan44
2020-08-11T15:25:58Z
Originally Posted by: speedy fast 

I wonder if they're really restoring everything, or if it's more them making digital back-up copies of everything. Are the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies restorations going to be done the same way as the restorations had been for most of the past DVD titles?

They MIGHT be restoring everything, although they might not be releasing it all. The restorations will most likely be the same as the restorations from the past, yes.
Mesterius
2020-08-11T16:25:12Z

Originally Posted by: speedy fast 

They MIGHT be restoring everything, although they might not be releasing it all. The restorations will most likely be the same as the restorations from the past, yes.

But what's making you assume that? The HD transfers that have already been released on HBO Max have had quite a few problems.
Leviathan
2020-08-11T17:23:37Z
Hush, Mesterius. You're the biggest downer here.

The screenshots leaked seem to have grain and imperfections, and the colors look on par with the newer Popeye and Tex Avery restorations.
Mesterius
2020-08-11T19:04:56Z
Originally Posted by: Leviathan 

Hush, Mesterius. You're the biggest downer here.

The screenshots leaked seem to have grain and imperfections, and the colors look on par with the newer Popeye and Tex Avery restorations.

Okay, THAT'S good. Back when this thread was started, I couldn't see any of the screenshots, since the preview site on HBO Max is apparently only viewable to U.S. residents. But someone posted some snapshots on Cartoon Research's Facebook group , and I agree those framegrabs look better than the MGM restorations etc. that others have already talked about.