New Website Beta Testing and General Updates Thread. - Forum.
eutychus
2020-06-19T18:42:32Z
We'll be using this thread the report any problems, issues, or ideas associated with the new website as we go through reworking it.

The new forum can be found here: http://3863-21905.el-alt.com/forum/ 

If you feel brave enough and want to help us out, use this link as much as possible. I'm interested in any problems or issues you have using this specific site, although it's a completely fresh copy and seems to be working pretty well so far. I've noticed some cool things with it. For one, I know someone was mentioning that you couldn't see who thanked any specific post. With the fresh copy, a pop-up appears showing who thanked you. I'd be interested in what else you might discover.

The link for the new site is here: http://3863-21905.el-alt.com 

Here you can keep track of the redo of the site as we go along and report any issues. Please do not report "Page missing" errors and pages will be added as we go thought the site.

Thanks!
eutychus
eutychus
2020-06-28T21:09:29Z
The characters section is done: http://3863-21905.el-alt...ad_characters/index.aspx 

You should be able to look at everything but you won't be able to add characters just yet. I need to do the artists section so you can add the voice artist first. Next up is the caricatures section and the the artists section.
eutychus
2020-07-07T22:11:09Z
The Music section and the Holidays section has been completed. I have added Easter as another holiday. If there are any others you can think of that should be added, let me know. Also, the music titles are now linked from the specific cartoon pages.

Comments?
eutychus
2020-08-20T09:25:53Z
I have almost finished reformatting the site to the new look, so much so that I'm planning on going live with it next Saturday. I would appreciate it if you would test out the new site both in browsing and updating so we can clean out any bugs in the system before we officially go live. The new site is here: http://3863-21905.el-alt.com/ 

Please post about any bugs or problems in this thread.

Also, I will be going back to uploading new screenshots on our regular schedule starting next Monday as well.

Thanks!
Zachary
2020-09-07T01:17:29Z
Well, I ended up missing the beta-testing period, busyness on my end having kept me away from participating much in cartoon-related things in general. Still some things worth bringing up, though.

The oversized fonts for quoted text and the forum index and thread list pages are back. I recall this specific issue was partially addressed once before; it would be nice to have it corrected (again).

Should have brought this up before: I recall at one point, one of the temporary/test copies of the forum briefly used a different style/theme from the default, with red accents in places, higher-contrast (and thus more readable) text, and used sane font sizes everywhere. What happened to that? Red coloring aside, it was considerably better than the default theme, and at least demonstrated that improving upon the defaults in these areas is possible. Gray on white text isn't exactly the most readable. I realize the unfeasibility of fixing all of the new software's suckitude, but mitigating it where it can be would be much appreciated.

A couple of bugs worth bringing up: On posts by users who do not have avatars, as well as on the user's menu (for accessing settings, etc.) in the forum header bar when logged in, instead of being rendered to the right of the placeholder avatar, the username and rank text overlap with it, as if it wasn't even there. This seems to have something to do with the placeholder avatar being a SVG (vector) image, and my suspicion is it may be specifically due to the < svg > tag in the file  having a "height" parameter but not a "width" parameter, thus confusing the browser (in my case both the unofficial XP/Vista-compatible Pale Moon build I usually use and Firefox 52.9 ESR). Modifying the file to add this might be worth trying.

Also, when accessing the site and forum via HTTPS, forum-software-driven menus (e.g. the main menu bar at the top, the "Tools" menu at the top right of posts) and tooltips (e.g. that show who "thanked" a post) are broken. Clicking the menus simply has the effect of reloading the page, or in the case of the user's menu on the forum header bar, loading the user's profile page. When accessing the site via plain HTTP, these features work correctly.

Finally, it would be nice if the classic GAC cartoon character smileys could be carried over to the new forum. I recall not all of them were carried over in the previous YAF iteration from the old Simple Machines-based IAD forum, but at least many of them were. If some traditional image-based basic smileys could also be added to provide an alternative to the deficiencies of Unicode "emoji", that would make it even better.
Toadette
2020-09-15T02:14:40Z
The old IAD Forums archive, incidentally, is now completely broken and inaccessible.
PopKorn Kat
2020-09-15T04:47:38Z
Speaking of GAC, the archived GAC sites have not been uploaded yet, and simply lead to a 404 error.

Also, clicking on the "Home" button on a forum page (like this one) has no effect, as nothing links to it.