How did you come to be a fan of classic animation? - Forum.
fulano7
  • fulano7
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2020-03-26T16:20:11Z
Many of us had the first contact with classic animation during childhood. If that's the case, sometimes there are fond memories about certain cartoons and characters.

Even if the first contact was during adolescence or adulthood, there was probably a path of discovery and fascination about many aspects of classic animation, which is interesting to share =)

I grew up watching Disney feature-length movies in VHS, and the Looney Tunes on TV in the peak of Space Jam's popularity.

Specifically the Tweety and Sylvester "Stars of Space Jam" VHS was the one I watched the most.

However I didn't became a classic animation enthusiast until I watched (also on TV) a bunch of Woody Woodpecker cartoons years later. The television channel was decaying and was using the Lantz cartoons as schedule fillers. The desperate strategy to boost viewer ratings was actually very successful and granted Woody regular airing from dec-2006 to apr-2019!! "Niagara Fools" became a national favorite. The crowd in São Paulo Campus Party cheered loudly when the short was screened in the events!

The bunch of Woody cartoons included many 40s classics like "The Barber of Seville". This short made me remember just how great classic animation is. I started to research about Lantz, came to know the now defunct GAC website, Lantz Cartune Encyclopedia, Columbia Crow's Nest, Dave Mackey's animation page etc.

After I watched the Avery cartoons featured in "The 100 Greatest Cartoons", couldn't stop watching more and more Avery. And it became more difficult to rewatch Lantz. Not just because the Woody dubbed voice is better than Grace's sped up voice, but because the Lantz shorts seemed much slower, lame and sloppy in comparsion. I still have the fondest memories though.

The LT/MM cartoons I have the fondest memories are the 50s and 60s. They were aired more frequently in TV. That explains why I don't like the LTGC selection... It's personal, Lol. I just have the fondest memories with the 50s and 60s cartoons, many of them mediocre, while many 30s and 40s were better and more important. I actually couldn't fulfil my nostalgia in LTGC because the shorts included are the best (and the consensus is that the 40s were technically the best period of LT).
I always come to TTTP in Exile in the hope of finding news about Warner announcing Tex Avery Collection.
ToonStar95
2020-03-26T23:28:11Z
I grew up with lots of Disney tapes growing up, including Snow White, 101 Dalmatians, Robin Hood and the original 3 Winnie the Pooh featurettes. Of course, I also watched Cartoon Network back when it was still primarily a "classics" channel, and I regularly watched Bugs & Daffy, Tom and Jerry and ToonHeads.

I guess I got really serious about classic animation when I collected the Disney Treasures and LTGC sets, watching the restored shorts and the insider featurettes included within them, as well as being involved online with GAC and Toonzone Forums.
kintutoons32
2020-03-27T01:43:01Z
I must have been dropped on my head as a tyke, as for the most part anyway, I find any animation, including classic, to be more distinguishable and enjoyable than live-action.
Gnik_LJN
2020-03-27T08:07:59Z
First through Tom and Jerry bootleg bargain bin DVDs when I was in primary school. I revisited the series when I was about 13, and I found several notable art styles within different scenes. Without any research, I managed to identify the animators (Irv Spence, Mike Lah, Ken Muse, those guys) by looking at the credits and comparing different cartoons. Guess that's how then.