Popeye the Sailor: The 1940s Vol. 1 (Warner Archive Collection) - December...- Page 15 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
15 Pages«<131415
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dbear  
#281 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2018 7:01:27 AM(UTC)
dbear

Groups: Registered, Researcher

Was thanked: 203 time(s) in 104 post(s)
We can always wait and see what we get if they get as far as to restoring “Big Bad Sindbad” ;)

There seems to be a nice colour copy of that cheater on YouTube, albeit stretched and DNRed.
DevonB  
#282 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2018 7:08:12 AM(UTC)
DevonB

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 32 post(s)
If we get a volume 2 (too early for such wishful thinking, admittedly), I wonder how Rocket to Mars would look restored, since that's a Cinecolor entry.
kazblox  
#283 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2018 7:31:42 AM(UTC)
kazblox

United States

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 52 post(s)
Note that Stanchfield's final pass scan with color correction, which will be seen on the 'Popeye in Technicolor' set of this feature depicts the picture being more green in places and vibrant as per his interpretation of what the colors looked like on release. I think the source is the same as the nitrate held at the Library of Congress....
Quote:
UserPostedImage

Edited by user Monday, December 10, 2018 7:34:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mesterius  
#284 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2018 7:36:49 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Was thanked: 168 time(s) in 75 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dbear Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: WaltWiz1901 Go to Quoted Post
(One odd, but as of now, incredibly wise authoring choice on one of my Rugrats DVDs and Steamboat Willie on The Adventures of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit was to do the same thing Anthony pointed out - pillarboxing a narrower ratio (1.33:1 on the former, 1.20:1 on the latter) within the 16:9 frame)

Uh, just curious... how exactly was that a wiser authoring choice than if those DVDs were encoded in traditional 4:3? A good TV set and player should be able to understand what aspect ratio to read the content in anyway, as long as the aspect ratio settings are treated properly.

I’d change your wording slightly and say a good TV set and player should have suitable, fully controllable options that can easily allow the user to force the player to output a correct ratio and for a TV to display that ratio without any overscan and pillarboxing where required. Rather than shrugging and saying any stretching/cropping “just happens”.

Actually, that's exactly what I meant, though maybe I didn't word it clearly enough. Shortly after I bought my own HDTV, I made certain that the aspect ratio was set to the mode that allows DVDs (and Blu-rays) to be read fully in the correct image proportions AND not have any of the picture cropped away. This means that, for example, the 2007-2008 Popeye DVDs from Warner have their menus displayed in 16:9, but as soon as I start playing one of the actual cartoons, the aspect ratio switches to 4:3.

Originally Posted by: dbear Go to Quoted Post
Many HDTVs even today seem to have rather disastrous “default” settings with oversharpening, motion smoothing and aspect ratio distortion, all of which should be switched off of course for viewing any film-originated content. More power to you if you can afford to get it fully professionally calibrated to eliminate any vagarity that what you see on your TV is as close to what the mastering folks intended.

I feel lucky in that regard because I have been fairly happy with the default settings that my HDTV came with (even after comparing with various alternate viewing modes that it offers). I have seen some absolutely terrible examples of the opposite, though.

Edited by user Monday, December 10, 2018 7:42:25 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Lee B  
#285 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2018 8:57:25 AM(UTC)
Lee B

United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 5 post(s)
If you want to drive yourselves even crazier, compare the images to the backgrounds at Heritage:

https://comics.ha.com/it...012417&lotPosition=0|1

https://comics.ha.com/it...012417&lotPosition=0|0

Edited by user Monday, December 10, 2018 8:58:17 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Lee B for this useful post.
dbear on 12/10/2018(UTC)
kazblox  
#286 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2018 9:16:04 AM(UTC)
kazblox

United States

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 52 post(s)
Note for Sindbad cels and backgrounds, you're going to have to apply not just luminosity and color timing changes to reflect Technicolor but also a key layer effect to increase contrast but compromise saturation.

'Spinach Packin' Popeye' was likely made from when Technicolor labs started operating without the layer. Then again, it might be 1947, but most sources say 1944 as the final year that the K record was finished. It's safe to say that the remaster of 'Spinach Packin' Popeye' assumes no key layer is applied.

Hence, to compare Sindbad cels and backgrounds to the latter cartoon, you'll just perhaps need to change only color curves and luminosity.

I'm not sure whatever materials 'Spinach Packin' Popeye' might have sourced for Sindbad, perhaps dupe negatives.

Edited by user Monday, December 10, 2018 9:18:47 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

PopKorn Kat  
#287 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2018 9:18:50 AM(UTC)
PopKorn Kat

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Administrators, Moderator, Beta Tester
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 329 time(s) in 240 post(s)
I was considering stepping in here earlier because the topic kept shifting to the aspect ratio of Toonatic's television screen, but I let it slide because posts right after went back to the topic of the Popeye the Sailor: The 1940s Vol. 1 set. After talking with a friend about it, I think it's time to take action.

From now on, I ask that the topic of Toonatic's television screen, his HDTV, etc. be dropped from this conversation once and for all. Please keep this thread on the topic of the new Popeye Blu-Ray/DVD set and topics relating to it, such as the restoration of the shorts. Thank you.
thanks 3 users thanked PopKorn Kat for this useful post.
Ken Layton on 12/10/2018(UTC), TibbyH on 12/10/2018(UTC), Lee B on 12/10/2018(UTC)
Toonatic  
#288 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2018 3:15:47 PM(UTC)
Toonatic

Groups: Registered, Researcher
United States

Was thanked: 228 time(s) in 165 post(s)
I AM watching these shorts as they were intended. They're just full screen shorts that are coincidentally filling my TV. I can set the player to 16:9 and I would get the same result. I know because I've watched Frosty's Winter Wonderland on a widescreen TV upstairs where the DVD player is set to 16:9; same result. Basically I AM watching the full screen version either way, just without the bars.

If I played the DVD say in my room where I have a CRT TV (yes, I still have one of those and have no need to upgrade), same result; full screen.

I want to point out there's nothing wrong with the video playback on the DVD, I want to make that clear.

Edited by user Monday, December 10, 2018 3:17:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified