Popeye the Sailor: The 1940s Vol. 1 (Warner Archive Collection) - December...- Page 8 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
15 Pages«<678910>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Toonatic  
#141 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 2:11:53 PM(UTC)
Toonatic

Groups: Registered, Researcher
United States

Was thanked: 228 time(s) in 165 post(s)
DVD edition is en route to my house! :)
Zachary  
#142 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 2:47:05 PM(UTC)
Zachary

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Beta Tester
United States

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 45 post(s)
The title windowboxing in question is always an addition in the video realm to cater to viewers using overscan-laden CRT and flatscreen TVs (yes, some flatscreens do it too, deliberately). I wish they'd either windowbox the whole film or not do it at all, as the partial windowboxing alters the original "feel" of the film by shrinking the size of certain footage compared to the rest. Though full windowboxing still degrades the experience for those using overscan-free equipment who would benefit from the increased resolution of leaving the film at the full video frame size. Frankly, TVs with forced overscan are in general a lousy way of viewing films, as the cropping compromises the intentions of the filmmakers in composing each shot (that hasn't been windowboxed adequately). I'd avoid using such equipment for the purpose whenever possible.

(In the case of Steve's sets in particular, I think the windowboxing often has to do with transfers being done directly at the final resolution (e.g. 1080p), with Steve then "tidying up" the edges by matting them a bit. That's different; I'd rather have that than for him to upscale the video.)

As for the cropping of films in general, it's true that some cropping can sometimes be desirable, such as when the negative contains more picture information than was intended to be seen, as Steve's print of Rio demonstrates. But I've seen numerous instances of common cropped presentations apparently being too cropped, with, for instance, parts of the credits/titles butting up to, and sometimes ending up slightly outside, the edge(s) of the frame. I doubt that was the intention when the footage was composed. On the other hand, when viewing transfers of material with round corners (including common Technicolor prints with hard-matted frame edges) that show the entire frame, sometimes the composition actually looks more or less spot on. Steve's approach may sometimes show more picture information than would properly be visible, but I'd rather err on the side of showing a little too much picture than not enough.

Edited by user Thursday, December 6, 2018 2:55:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Zachary for this useful post.
dbear on 12/6/2018(UTC)
dbear  
#143 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 5:41:07 PM(UTC)
dbear

Was thanked: 203 time(s) in 104 post(s)
My order from WowHD has shipped :)
kazblox  
#144 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 6:42:20 PM(UTC)
kazblox

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 52 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DevonB Go to Quoted Post
Believe it or not, I've been told requesting the rounded corners on a film element during a scan is met with some skepticism: "Why would you want those?"

Would a older time period projector actually show them? I've been told that aperture plates tend to cut those off.

Case in point, here's a reference shot of what I presume is an original 35mm release element of a Gandy Goose title, 'Spring Fever', being projected on a drive-in projector stand:
Quote:
UserPostedImage

Corners completely cropped.

Edited by user Friday, December 7, 2018 12:48:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

dbear  
#145 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 7:15:01 PM(UTC)
dbear

Not the projector lens but the "aperture plate" ;) http://www.sprocketschool.org/wiki/Aperture_plates

As stated on the website linked above, specifications set by SMPTE in theory should have standardised what exactly is masked off a print at a specific aspect ratio. Whether this happened, in practice, in terms of possible variation of apeture plates from cinema to cinema is something I'll have to defer to the experts.

The point being is that nowadays you can scan the entire image area on a print with some or all of the sprocket holes and soundtrack area showing. This would, again in theory, be useful in simulating how much image area would have been masked by a projector aperture plate, thereby resulting in an image of what would have been seen in a cinema under ideal SMPTE specs.

It gets interesting when you get into the widescreen era and beyond when you have heaps of image information, animation or otherwise, that would have never been seen theatrically but are actually on the prints themselves. For whatever reason, original 35mm release prints of The Jungle Book were not "hard-matted" with "rounded corners" unlike older features. So you do see a lot of dead space or oddities like ends of cells and BGs or occasional in-camera masks.

(If I can digress a little further from Popeye, an interesting thing to note is original 35mm prints of Jungle Book also have a hair less information on the sides compared to the official Blu-ray restoration, so the supposedly "cramped" framing on the Blu-ray is actually slightly more opened up than what a release print would look projected, assuming no cinema was projecting in the "old" Academy ratio in 1967...)

Edited by user Thursday, December 6, 2018 7:20:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked dbear for this useful post.
Mac on 12/8/2018(UTC)
kazblox  
#146 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2018 12:47:49 AM(UTC)
kazblox

United States

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 52 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dbear Go to Quoted Post
Not the projector lens but the "aperture plate" ;) http://www.sprocketschool.org/wiki/Aperture_plates

It's a long time since I've read up on projectors!
Toonatic  
#147 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2018 1:52:19 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

United States

Blu-ray is back up for pre-order on Amazon!

Current rank is #1,032 in Movies & TV and #403 in Movies & TV > Blu-ray respectively.
Mesterius  
#148 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2018 2:07:33 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Was thanked: 168 time(s) in 75 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Toonatic Go to Quoted Post
Blu-ray is back up for pre-order on Amazon!

Current rank is #1,032 in Movies & TV and #403 in Movies & TV > Blu-ray respectively.

FINALLY! The DVD is still unavailable though, but I suppose they're still waiting to get that version back in stock.

Can't believe this has taken almost two weeks. If I didn't know any better, I'd think the bosses of Amazon.com DIDN'T have a strong personal interest in supporting the future of classic animation on home video.
ToonFan  
#149 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2018 2:24:13 AM(UTC)
ToonFan

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I received the DVD edition yesterday and watched it last night. It is a burned disc, but it looks great.
Leviathan  
#150 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2018 4:49:32 AM(UTC)
Leviathan

United States

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 9 post(s)
If you can, I'd really like to see screenshots.
thanks 3 users thanked Leviathan for this useful post.
dbear on 12/7/2018(UTC), Jason Todd on 12/7/2018(UTC), Ken Layton on 12/7/2018(UTC)
dbear  
#151 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2018 4:52:37 AM(UTC)
dbear

Originally Posted by: Leviathan Go to Quoted Post
If you can, I'd really like to see screenshots.

Ditto!
Einhander  
#152 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2018 5:18:17 AM(UTC)
Einhander

United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Going slightly off topic here, but why are the second and third volumes of the DVD series so outrageously expensive? Is it because they are out of print? And if so, why would WHV keep only vol 1 in print, but not the others?

Seeing the price of both volumes makes me glad I picked up vol 2 at my local FYE for $8.

Edited by user Friday, December 7, 2018 5:19:20 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mesterius  
#153 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2018 7:01:12 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: Einhander Go to Quoted Post
Going slightly off topic here, but why are the second and third volumes of the DVD series so outrageously expensive? Is it because they are out of print? And if so, why would WHV keep only vol 1 in print, but not the others?

Seeing the price of both volumes makes me glad I picked up vol 2 at my local FYE for $8.

Yes, it's because they are out of print. This has been talked about in another thread on the forum. I would guess Warner has simply printed fewer copies of Vols. 2 and 3 than of Vol. 1, and that's why they have now gone out of print. It's probably been years now since new copies were printed of any of the three volumes.

Edited by user Friday, December 7, 2018 7:05:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

raginggoodfella  
#154 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2018 8:04:45 AM(UTC)
raginggoodfella

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Is it really worth getting the blu ray over the dvd for this collection?
ToonStar95  
#155 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2018 8:10:41 AM(UTC)
ToonStar95

Man
United States

Was thanked: 121 time(s) in 97 post(s)
I'm strongly considering getting the DVD version.
Einhander  
#156 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2018 8:12:26 AM(UTC)
Einhander

United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: raginggoodfella Go to Quoted Post
Is it really worth getting the blu ray over the dvd for this collection?

I mean, go ahead and buy the DVD version, do whatever you want. But when a person has seen these cartoons in nothing but crappy faded versions for a LONG time now, I think it's more than worth it to buy the Blu-Ray. You are getting these in 1080p HD and Lossless audio.
But I think the DVD will still look fine, my concern is that it is a MOD DVD-R, and those don't last very long.

Edited by user Friday, December 7, 2018 8:54:09 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked Einhander for this useful post.
Mesterius on 12/7/2018(UTC), raginggoodfella on 12/7/2018(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 12/7/2018(UTC)
Jason Todd  
#157 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2018 8:25:42 AM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Man
United States

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Einhander Go to Quoted Post
I mean, go ahead and buy the DVD version, do whatever you want. But when a person has seen these cartoons in nothing but crappy faded versions for a LONG time now, I think it's more than worth it to buy the Blu-Ray. You are getting these in 1080p HD and Lossless audio.
But I think the DVD will still look fine, it's just that it might be a MOD DVD-R, and those don't last very long.

Personally, I fully intend on buying both versions.
thanks 1 user thanked Jason Todd for this useful post.
Mesterius on 12/7/2018(UTC)
Toonatic  
#158 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2018 9:13:25 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

United States

Originally Posted by: Jason Todd Go to Quoted Post
Personally, I fully intend on buying both versions.

Ditto to that (the Blu however I'll find under the tree Christmas day).

I'm not sure what I'll get with the DVD will be an MOD disc or a replicated disc. I'll take a DVD-R sure, but Einhander is right; DVD-R don't last long. 30+, that's it.

Warner should (keep?) do(ing) this with their Archive DVDs; make the first initial 1,000 copies factory-pressed, then MOD thereafter like with Porky 101.
Mesterius  
#159 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2018 9:24:12 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Are you guys kidding? I'd say it's an absolute no-brainer to buy the Blu-ray edition if you have BD-friendly equipment. This Popeye set is apparently the first time Warner has done transfers in 4K resolution for a classic cartoon release (as opposed to 2K earlier), AND they've made it clear that they've gone back to the first-generation negatives and recombined all the color elements digitally to get the very best quality. These restorations are promising to look magnificent on 1080p Blu-ray. As long as you have a flatscreen HD TV, it will make a huge difference from the lower picture resolution and compression of the DVD format. And really, when the price difference is just two bucks, why not spring for the Blu-ray and get THAT much better of a viewing experience?
thanks 1 user thanked Mesterius for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 12/7/2018(UTC)
ToonStar95  
#160 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2018 9:57:19 AM(UTC)
ToonStar95

Man
United States

Was thanked: 121 time(s) in 97 post(s)
I have a Blu-ray player, but I can't take BD screencaps on my PC.