audio on release prints of early Looney Tune/Merrie Melodie titles - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kazblox  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2018 6:33:13 AM(UTC)
kazblox

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 34 post(s)
I have noticed years back that the nitrate elements that exist on Steve Stanchfield's clip reels of various cartoons for 'Mr. and Mrs. is the Name' and 'Viva Buddy' use a variable density audio strip printed onto the film.

Previously, I had thought that Warner Bros. and First National had always used R.C.A.'s "Photophone" system, based on variable area, for sound on film alternatives to Vitaphone; at least through the mid-'30s, from what I have known from other sources. But this does not appear to be the case?

Back when I was more naive, I had thought that these were reprints with rerecorded soundtracks; but the more I tried to think on that statement, the more that sounded absurd. The only time that ever happened was with the opposite case, if memory serves me; for example, 'Steamboat Willie', a Disney title, the Cinephone variable density track was rerecorded on R.C.A. Victor equipment to a variable area track for future elements.

The short clip of the nitrate element for 'Hollywood Steps Out' that do show up tacked onto one of Stanchfield's reels do use an actual variable area track.

Edited by user Wednesday, September 19, 2018 6:48:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified