Celebrating Mickey on Blu-ray 10/23- Page 3 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
5 Pages<12345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mesterius  
#41 Posted : Friday, October 12, 2018 11:41:31 PM(UTC)
Mesterius

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/14/2014(UTC)
Posts: 179

Thanks: 46 times
Was thanked: 120 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Toonatic Go to Quoted Post
And before that, attached with Coco in theaters.


You mean to say the classic shorts were included with Coco's theatrical release?? Or just Olaf's Frozen Adventure?
PopKorn Kat  
#42 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2018 1:17:37 AM(UTC)
PopKorn Kat

Rank: Administration

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Administrators, Moderator, Beta Tester
Joined: 1/29/2015(UTC)
Posts: 993
Woman
United States
Location: Looney Tune Land

Thanks: 759 times
Was thanked: 306 time(s) in 229 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Toonatic Go to Quoted Post
And before that, attached with Coco in theaters.


You mean to say the classic shorts were included with Coco's theatrical release?? Or just Olaf's Frozen Adventure?


Just Olaf was attached to Coco in the United States.
thanks 2 users thanked PopKorn Kat for this useful post.
Toonatic on 10/13/2018(UTC), Mesterius on 10/13/2018(UTC)
Mesterius  
#43 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2018 2:32:41 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/14/2014(UTC)
Posts: 179

Thanks: 46 times
Was thanked: 120 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Toonatic Go to Quoted Post
And before that, attached with Coco in theaters.


You mean to say the classic shorts were included with Coco's theatrical release?? Or just Olaf's Frozen Adventure?


Just Olaf was attached to Coco in the United States.


Thanks, that's what I thought, as I never heard anything about vintage shorts. It was just a little unclear to me.
Mac  
#44 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2018 2:48:14 PM(UTC)
Mac

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/16/2014(UTC)
Posts: 136

Thanks: 26 times
Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 46 post(s)
Including classic shorts as featured bonuses is something I love to see. I honestly believe it's a way to keep classic cartoons (and therefore the characters), alive, relevant and profitable for big media companies.

...but Disney did something unfortunate with the Olaf short when it was released for digital download. The image used for the release was entirely Frozen related with a vague reference to "Six other Disney Tales". Understandably, the casual buyer was expecting 60 minutes of Frozen and Frozen-like material. The over 40 minutes of classic material came as a surprise to many and caused mixed reviews.
PopKorn Kat  
#45 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2018 1:00:19 AM(UTC)
PopKorn Kat

Rank: Administration

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Administrators, Moderator, Beta Tester
Joined: 1/29/2015(UTC)
Posts: 993
Woman
United States
Location: Looney Tune Land

Thanks: 759 times
Was thanked: 306 time(s) in 229 post(s)
I didn't notice this earlier for some reason, but this thread is straying from the topic of the Celebrating Mickey Blu-Ray. I'd recommend you guys take the Olaf's Frozen Adventure Blu-Ray discussion to a separate thread. Thanks.
thanks 2 users thanked PopKorn Kat for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 10/15/2018(UTC), TibbyH on 10/15/2018(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#46 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2018 2:49:48 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/25/2017(UTC)
Posts: 253
Man
United States

Thanks: 223 times
Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Only more than a week left until this thing comes out....only we have nothing on what the bonuses and technical specifications are! Have they been confirmed anywhere yet?
Mesterius  
#47 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2018 7:40:40 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/14/2014(UTC)
Posts: 179

Thanks: 46 times
Was thanked: 120 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WaltWiz1901 Go to Quoted Post
Only more than a week left until this thing comes out....only we have nothing on what the bonuses and technical specifications are! Have they been confirmed anywhere yet?


Actual bonus features would imply that someone involved with this release CARED... and the fairly random selection of shorts implies to me that this someone DOESN'T care. So I'm not really expecting any bonuses. Would love to be surpriced to the contrary, of course.
thanks 1 user thanked Mesterius for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 10/16/2018(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#48 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2018 8:30:43 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/25/2017(UTC)
Posts: 253
Man
United States

Thanks: 223 times
Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Four more days left to wait for this to come out.....and still nothing on what (else) is on this disc or if the shorts listed on that Best Buy website really are the ones that'll appear here. There hasn't been much publicity surrounding this compilation's release, which is ironic as the character it's honoring is both a merchandising juggernaut and arguably the most famous cartoon character ever conceived.

Regardless of whether this thing has some worthwhile material or not, I am still going to buy it in a couple of weeks. We have gone through a very long drought of classic Disney shorts - let's prove to them that these characters are way more than just corporate logos and that the audience for their shorts is not simply a niche market!

Edited by user Saturday, October 20, 2018 10:24:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked WaltWiz1901 for this useful post.
Toonatic on 10/20/2018(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 10/20/2018(UTC)
nickramer  
#49 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2018 11:12:36 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Joined: 10/16/2014(UTC)
Posts: 882

Thanks: 12 times
Was thanked: 240 time(s) in 199 post(s)
Honestly, I wish they put a bit more care in this release like have Leonard Maltin introduce each cartoon or have a short documentary about Mickey narrated by someone like Jeremy Irons.

Edited by user Sunday, October 21, 2018 11:14:14 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked nickramer for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 10/21/2018(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 10/21/2018(UTC)
Toonatic  
#50 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2018 12:54:22 PM(UTC)
Toonatic

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Joined: 9/14/2014(UTC)
Posts: 628
United States

Thanks: 132 times
Was thanked: 219 time(s) in 159 post(s)
Make this a hit seller and they will aim bigger and better. I can assure you.


Currently on Amazon at #234 in Movies & TV and #16 in Kids & Family Blu-ray Discs. If that doesn't sound like a best seller, I don't know what is.
PopKorn Kat  
#51 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2018 10:08:08 PM(UTC)
PopKorn Kat

Rank: Administration

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Administrators, Moderator, Beta Tester
Joined: 1/29/2015(UTC)
Posts: 993
Woman
United States
Location: Looney Tune Land

Thanks: 759 times
Was thanked: 306 time(s) in 229 post(s)
I’m sorry to reiterate my stance on this set again, but I feel that the idea of “buy stuff even if it turns out to be complete schlock in order to encourage sales of bigger and better stuff” has backfired too much in the past to be ignored. Trust me, I’d love to see Disney re-release new sets of their classic shorts, but not like this: cheap one-offs destined for the bargain bin with horrid color correction and every last speck of grain scrubbed away.

I’d like to let both this Blu-Ray and Porky Pig 101 to be cautionary tales to remind future forum goers not to tell companies like Disney and WB to “shut up and take my money” so quickly. I see this as the Porky Pig 101 case all over again, but to a lesser extent. (For one, this is clearly a one-off destined for the bargain bin; not an overpriced five-disc set.) They’re both the same scenario though: sets with loads of problems that fans urge others to buy anyway in the hopes that we’ll get more shorts from that studio on home video. If the Porky 101 errors were a result of just not giving a darn, Disney’s restorations funnel piles of cash into soiling their own history due to poor decisions like drawing from the original animation cels to “restore” works, scrubbing grain clean, and literally retracing animation.

To Toonatic specifically: how do you know that Disney will aim for their next product to be “bigger and better”? And don't say "trust me". Will they follow up with a properly restored Mickey Mouse set, or will they repeat their mistakes with a Celebrating Donald Blu-Ray come next year?

There’s a difference between demand for a product (good!) and indirectly telling the company that what they’re putting out is good enough (sometimes good, but sometimes bad!) Think of it this way: let’s say you buy a Crayola product that’s really cool in theory, but in reality it doesn’t work and breaks easily. Would you buy more of that same product to encourage Crayola to produce better versions of it?
In the best-case scenario, Crayola will read the reviews and fix the flaws. In the worst-case scenario, companies will funnel out absolute schlock because they know their fans will accept it.

And yes, I know with Porky 101 Beck said the mistakes on that set would not be repeated. But Disney isn’t Warner Archive. Even if Disney does put out more of its library on Blu-Ray, there’s no guarantee that they’ll fix things admittedly a vocal minority cares about (i.e., color issues). Your average consumer isn’t going to care about that stuff. Disney doesn't aim at collectors these days; only general audiences, and this isn't a release aimed at collectors.

Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe the cartoons on this set will actually have a little care put into them. But from what I’ve seen from Disney in recent years, I’m not counting on it.
thanks 5 users thanked PopKorn Kat for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 10/21/2018(UTC), Toadette on 10/21/2018(UTC), dbear on 10/21/2018(UTC), Mesterius on 10/22/2018(UTC), TibbyH on 10/22/2018(UTC)
Toonatic  
#52 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 12:26:02 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Joined: 9/14/2014(UTC)
Posts: 628
United States

Thanks: 132 times
Was thanked: 219 time(s) in 159 post(s)
Ok, you want an answer? Sales. The more sales this release makes, the more money Disney will rank in, the more they'll see there's a market. Will they do another compilation release, probably. But sometimes it will take someone inside the company to look at the sales and listen to the feedback to say "You know, people are clamoring for more classic shorts. let's `do a box set this time."

Have a little faith. This might be a resurgence Disney needs to get more back into the physical home video market (they already surprised us by releasing Gravity Falls with Shout! Factory).
dbear  
#53 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 12:42:03 AM(UTC)
dbear

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Joined: 12/14/2014(UTC)
Posts: 213

Thanks: 176 times
Was thanked: 179 time(s) in 93 post(s)
I didn't actually take a proper a look at the shorts line-up for this Blu-ray until just now, to make some observations:

  • All of the shorts on this upcoming release have had "restored" HD masters for at least 6 years now. I would be surprised if the shorts on this release end up looking any different, besides compression.

  • For the colour restorations, the TCM broadcasts and the shortened versions officially uploaded to YouTube are probably a good indicator of what to expect (again barring compression). I haven't checked all of them but I suspect some should look "OK". At best some aggressive cel dust removal but no other "fixes", at worst some of the usual heavy-handed degraining (Thru the Mirror looks spectacularly awful on the Alice in Wonderland blu-ray). I have no clue how the colour timing on these new restorations fares compared to original Tech prints

  • Again assuming these aren't any different than the Have A Laugh masters, some will probably sport the same fake recreated titles, somehow more lazily done than "fan recreations" or the real deal (shout-out to Erik!) posted online.

  • The Steamboat Willie restoration will likely be the same terribly misguided (IMHO) one they started work on way back in 2004 (!) (http://whysoblu.com/a-talk-with-disney-about-the-restoration-of-dumbo/) and made its debut on the Oswald Treasures DVD. They opted to degrain and fix at least one animation mistake but in a wishy-washy move, they added back fake-looking flicker and jitter back in.
thanks 3 users thanked dbear for this useful post.
Toadette on 10/22/2018(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 10/22/2018(UTC), PopKorn Kat on 10/22/2018(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#54 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 12:48:25 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/25/2017(UTC)
Posts: 253
Man
United States

Thanks: 223 times
Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat Go to Quoted Post
I’m sorry to reiterate my stance on this set again, but I feel that the idea of “buy stuff even if it turns out to be complete schlock in order to encourage sales of bigger and better stuff” has backfired too much in the past to be ignored. Trust me, I’d love to see Disney re-release new sets of their classic shorts, but not like this: cheap one-offs destined for the bargain bin with horrid color correction and every last speck of grain scrubbed away.

I’d like to let both this Blu-Ray and Porky Pig 101 to be cautionary tales to remind future forum goers not to tell companies like Disney and WB to “shut up and take my money” so quickly. I see this as the Porky Pig 101 case all over again, but to a lesser extent. (For one, this is clearly a one-off destined for the bargain bin; not an overpriced five-disc set.) They’re both the same scenario though: sets with loads of problems that fans urge others to buy anyway in the hopes that we’ll get more shorts from that studio on home video. If the Porky 101 errors were a result of just not giving a darn, Disney’s restorations funnel piles of cash into soiling their own history due to poor decisions like drawing from the original animation cels to “restore” works, scrubbing grain clean, and literally retracing animation.

To Toonatic specifically: how do you know that Disney will aim for their next product to be “bigger and better”? And don't say "trust me". Will they follow up with a properly restored Mickey Mouse set, or will they repeat their mistakes with a Celebrating Donald Blu-Ray come next year?

.....

And yes, I know with Porky 101 Beck said the mistakes on that set would not be repeated. But Disney isn’t Warner Archive. Even if Disney does put out more of its library on Blu-Ray, there’s no guarantee that they’ll fix things admittedly a vocal minority cares about (i.e., color issues). Your average consumer isn’t going to care about that stuff. Disney doesn't aim at collectors these days; only general audiences, and this isn't a release aimed at collectors.

Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe the cartoons on this set will actually have a little care put into them. But from what I’ve seen from Disney in recent years, I’m not counting on it.

Truer words have not been said, but I don't completely agree with the way Disney restores their shorts currently. (Going from what I've seen and read, some of them are done correctly and the only 'revisionism' done is the smoothing out of some cel dust and paint imperfections; others, unfortunately, suffer from the very issues you mentioned)
Originally Posted by: Toonatic Go to Quoted Post
Ok, you want an answer? Sales. The more sales this release makes, the more money Disney will rank in, the more they'll see there's a market. Will they do another compilation release, probably. But sometimes it will take someone inside the company to look at the sales and listen to the feedback to say "You know, people are clamoring for more classic shorts. let's `do a box set this time."

Have a little faith. This might be a resurgence Disney needs to get more back into the physical home video market (they already surprised us by releasing Gravity Falls with Shout! Factory).

I hope Disney does some new box sets of their shorts in the near-future, but I'm not completely sure they'll respond to the sales of this disc by doing that. They most likely would either keep up with releasing shorts this way or do nothing about it at all.

I'm still going to buy Celebrating Mickey late next week, but I'm going to hope for the best and not be surprised for the worst.
PopKorn Kat  
#55 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 4:12:30 AM(UTC)
PopKorn Kat

Rank: Administration

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Administrators, Moderator, Beta Tester
Joined: 1/29/2015(UTC)
Posts: 993
Woman
United States
Location: Looney Tune Land

Thanks: 759 times
Was thanked: 306 time(s) in 229 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WaltWiz1901 Go to Quoted Post
I hope Disney does some new box sets of their shorts in the near-future, but I'm not completely sure they'll respond to the sales of this disc by doing that. They most likely would either keep up with releasing shorts this way or do nothing about it at all.


Exactly. Disney will do something if they know it'll print them a lot of money.
Toonatic  
#56 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 4:53:49 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Joined: 9/14/2014(UTC)
Posts: 628
United States

Thanks: 132 times
Was thanked: 219 time(s) in 159 post(s)
They can do a dozen compilation releases for all I care so long as they keep bringing them out to home video. Celebrating Donald, a Silly Symphonies release, I'll buy each and every one of them. The more they do, the more feedback they'll get, the more they'll aim higher.


Current status of Celebrating Mickey on Amazon: #123 in Movies & TV and #9 in Kids & Family Blu-ray Discs
TibbyH  
#57 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 5:03:09 AM(UTC)
TibbyH

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Joined: 9/12/2016(UTC)
Posts: 110
United States
Location: Shhh, it's a secret

Thanks: 51 times
Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Considering Disney doesn't have the best reputation for their classic animated catalogue on Blu-ray, I'm not expecting this set to be any good.

I wouldn't be surprised if the films lack grain, look softer, and may have DVNR. It's so sad when DePatie-Freleng cartoons had better quality control on home video (thanks to the efforts of Greg Ford).
thanks 2 users thanked TibbyH for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 10/22/2018(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 10/22/2018(UTC)
PopKorn Kat  
#58 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 5:03:29 AM(UTC)
PopKorn Kat

Rank: Administration

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Administrators, Moderator, Beta Tester
Joined: 1/29/2015(UTC)
Posts: 993
Woman
United States
Location: Looney Tune Land

Thanks: 759 times
Was thanked: 306 time(s) in 229 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Toonatic Go to Quoted Post
They can do a dozen compilation releases for all I care so long as they keep bringing them out to home video. Celebrating Donald, a Silly Symphonies release, I'll buy each and every one of them. The more they do, the more feedback they'll get, the more they'll aim higher.


...inevitably with their so-called "restorations".

I'll be sticking with my decade-old Disney Treasures DVDs in the meantime.
thanks 1 user thanked PopKorn Kat for this useful post.
TibbyH on 10/22/2018(UTC)
TibbyH  
#59 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 5:17:10 AM(UTC)
TibbyH

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Joined: 9/12/2016(UTC)
Posts: 110
United States
Location: Shhh, it's a secret

Thanks: 51 times
Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Toonatic Go to Quoted Post
They can do a dozen compilation releases for all I care so long as they keep bringing them out to home video. Celebrating Donald, a Silly Symphonies release, I'll buy each and every one of them. The more they do, the more feedback they'll get, the more they'll aim higher.


...inevitably with their so-called "restorations".

I'll be sticking with my decade-old Disney Treasures DVDs in the meantime.



I would much prefer a rerelease of the Walt Disney Treasures line considering most the DVDs are out of print and are outrageously expensive. They already have the Disney Movie Club, so it's not like they'd have to ship them out to stores or rival online retail sites.

It'd be nice to have a complete set of all the Mickey, Donald, Goofy and one-shot shorts in the modern age....but I won't get my hopes up. The home video market is just a slowly dying medium with animated releases seeing the biggest effect.
thanks 2 users thanked TibbyH for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 10/22/2018(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 10/22/2018(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#60 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 6:20:04 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/25/2017(UTC)
Posts: 253
Man
United States

Thanks: 223 times
Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Toonatic Go to Quoted Post
Celebrating Donald, a Silly Symphonies release, I'll buy each and every one of them. The more they do, the more feedback they'll get, the more they'll aim higher.

This is not a very good way to make Disney consider how to release these shorts on home media. We've all been waiting for a new collector-aimed release for them for a long time, and have been met with nothing. Buying every single one of their casual fan-aimed compilations would only make them consider making more of that and nothing more.

Will I buy Celebrating Mickey? Certainly. Am I super-optimistic that they'll decide on doing something bigger afterward? Not quite.
Originally Posted by: TibbyH Go to Quoted Post
I would much prefer a rerelease of the Walt Disney Treasures line considering most the DVDs are out of print and are outrageously expensive. They already have the Disney Movie Club, so it's not like they'd have to ship them out to stores or rival online retail sites.

It'd be nice to have a complete set of all the Mickey, Donald, Goofy and one-shot shorts in the modern age....but I won't get my hopes up. The home video market is just a slowly dying medium with animated releases seeing the biggest effect.

Only that if we're talking about Blu-ray, Disney has said "no" to making any Walt Disney Treasures available on Blu-ray and hasn't bothered to re-release any of the material they did put out through that series.

(I wholeheartedly agree with what you said about the Treasures being 'outrageously expensive' - I can't even find the remaining "Silly Symphony", "Donald Duck", and "Pluto" shorts for a price I could easily afford! - and animated releases being the most vulnerable sorts of releases during this whole "streaming revolution"!)

Edited by user Monday, October 22, 2018 8:26:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked WaltWiz1901 for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 10/22/2018(UTC), TibbyH on 10/22/2018(UTC)
Users browsing this topic
Guest (2)
5 Pages<12345>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error