Thinking of taking down the site. - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
eutychus  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2018 4:20:08 PM(UTC)
eutychus

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Administrators, Moderator, WebsiteAdmin
Man
United States

Was thanked: 366 time(s) in 258 post(s)
Just not getting enough support.
Mario500  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2018 7:16:12 PM(UTC)
Mario500

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Did you mean this site (the Internet Animation Database)?
TibbyH  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2018 8:18:13 PM(UTC)
TibbyH

Groups: Registered, Researcher
United States

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 36 post(s)
It would be a real tragedy to see something we all spent countless hours maintaining go away
thanks 2 users thanked TibbyH for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 5/11/2018(UTC), Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead on 5/11/2018(UTC)
Justin Delbert  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2018 10:03:31 PM(UTC)
Justin Delbert

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I would just HATE to see this site go away. I'm trying to spread the word on Cartoon Research. I don't know if it will help though.
VoiceTalentBrendan  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2018 11:44:53 PM(UTC)
VoiceTalentBrendan

Man
United States

Was thanked: 92 time(s) in 71 post(s)
Don't give up IAD, I'm gonna help
PopKorn Kat  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 12:46:47 AM(UTC)
PopKorn Kat

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Administrators, Moderator, Beta Tester
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 195 post(s)
I 'd STRONGLY advise shutting down the site.

There's some information there that isn't available anywhere else, and the site's been good at debunking some misconceptions.
thanks 1 user thanked PopKorn Kat for this useful post.
TibbyH on 5/11/2018(UTC)
nickramer  
#7 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 1:37:52 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Was thanked: 200 time(s) in 164 post(s)
My advice: Don't do it. I really enjoy it here. And I'm sure we can get more support. Maybe I can spread the word on Twitch.
thanks 2 users thanked nickramer for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 5/11/2018(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 5/11/2018(UTC)
Jason Todd  
#8 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 2:08:28 AM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Man
United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Personally, I'd prefer it if you didn't shut it down.

I've come to like it here.
WaltWiz1901  
#9 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 2:17:08 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 51 post(s)
I've been posting here for almost six months, so it'd be a shame if I wasn't able to do so anymore.

Keep the site open - there are many things that you could fix, like the right aspect ratios for some specific shorts (lots of the 1920's sound cartoons, for example, were screened at 1.20:1), the unnecessary "extra" cartoons on many Disney LaserDiscs, many of which don't match with the topic of the disc they're listed on and are obviously taken from other individual home video releases, etc.
Toadette  
#10 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 2:57:23 AM(UTC)
Toadette

Was thanked: 227 time(s) in 190 post(s)
I hate to come off as the cynical one here, but....

The IAD and its forums have been in a prolonged state of decay for years now; by and large, the place has become a backwater largely isolated from the outside animation community. The relaxed atmosphere and civilized behavior compared to so many other forums are lovely, to be sure; yet, the truly interesting discussions are few and far between, and the most insightful folks and historians who posted on the GAC Forums (and continue to comment elsewhere) don't bother with this place unless certain threads of interest are brought to their attention. I should know—in the past I've reached out to certain folks to come back here, yet (with a number of notable exceptions) not much has come of those encounters. In that regard, I don't think trying to drum up support amongst outsiders at this point will do anything significant in the long-term.

Honestly, this development was inevitable. The blogs, Facebook, Twitter, and various other recent forms of social media are where all the real action is taking place nowadays. The rich burst of activity when the forums first began towards the end of 2011 was undoubtedly a result of GAC shutting down and the massive exodus that followed, as the former users scrambled to find out where to convene next; for all practical purposes, the IAD was just a temporary stopping point for many of those folks as they moved on to their own things.

Even so, though, the forums have been a valuable part of the lives of those who patiently bothered to stick around, and to many of us the significant discoveries and discussions that took place once in a while—to say nothing of Steve Stanchfield's Thunderbean updates and exclusive sets—were worth the long, empty stretches of a few insignificant, albeit pleasant posts. The database itself, as the successor to the old Disney Shorts website, has been a valuable resource for those who have taken the time to peruse it, and on top of that there have been quite a few dedicated contributors—including, once upon a time, yours truly—who have poured hundreds of hours of their time and resources into making it a better place, and would hate to see it all lost from a shutdown. And, of course, the site is the host of the GAC Archives.

While I don't see any real future for this website if it's kept active, at the same time it would be a massive waste if it were shuttered altogether, especially given the information and insights (and just plain fun) that have accumulated here over the years. (Indeed, just a few days ago I was telling a friend about the films available at the EYE Film Archive, which I would not have known about had that not been posted here by dbear.) At the very least, the website should be kept up as an archive, even if only as a showcase of a final valiant effort to keep the legacies of the old Disney Shorts Encyclopedia *and* GAC—both of which played such large roles in the animation community in the early 21st century—alive.
thanks 5 users thanked Toadette for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 5/11/2018(UTC), dbear on 5/11/2018(UTC), TibbyH on 5/11/2018(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 5/11/2018(UTC), Zachary on 5/11/2018(UTC)
dbear  
#11 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 3:25:16 AM(UTC)
dbear

Was thanked: 148 time(s) in 80 post(s)
Toadette has expressed my very thoughts quite eloquently, the forum has become a bit of a ghost town for a while now. I would have loved to help out more than I have on the actual database but real-life/work commitments (and various esoteric, expensive side projects) mean time has not been on my side lately. With all the effort gone into the database so far, it would be a shame to let it all go though.

And if I can veer a little off-topic for a moment, credit is where credit's due: without rbudrick inquiring about those Alice Comedies at the EYE Archives, I would have never realised how easy it was to request (or in some cases, for a pretty penny, purchase) viewing copies for research. In fact, I'm long overdue to follow up with them on a few things.
thanks 4 users thanked dbear for this useful post.
Toadette on 5/11/2018(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 5/11/2018(UTC), TibbyH on 5/11/2018(UTC), PopKorn Kat on 5/11/2018(UTC)
User is suspended until 10/18/2045 7:30:21 AM(UTC) ParamountCartoons  
#12 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 6:51:14 AM(UTC)
ParamountCartoons

United States

Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Don't do it- we love this place! If only all the (living, mostly not-banned) GAC people signed up for this place! Then we would've had fun!

Don't jump off the building IAD- we love you!
Toonatic  
#13 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 7:25:32 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

United States

Was thanked: 182 time(s) in 135 post(s)
Yeah dude, don't do it.
thanks 1 user thanked Toonatic for this useful post.
Zachary on 5/11/2018(UTC)
tonyboy85  
#14 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 2:48:01 PM(UTC)
tonyboy85

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Don't shut it down!

IAD deserves love & support!
thanks 1 user thanked tonyboy85 for this useful post.
Zachary on 5/11/2018(UTC)
Zachary  
#15 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 4:28:34 PM(UTC)
Zachary

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Beta Tester
United States

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 37 post(s)
It's somewhat strange that the classic animation community has so embraced social media to the point of abandoning traditional discussion venues to the degree it has. There are forums for various other realms of interest that are still very active and going strong.

Like I've mentioned previously, social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter are not good substitutes for a traditional open discussion forum, especially when there are discussions involved that have future value as an informative resource, such as history-related discussions. With the average discussion forum, like this one, you can freely browse and learn from discussions without needing to register. You can freely search for specific information, either through the forum's own search functions or a search engine such as Google (this also means that such information is discoverable to casual viewers through search engines). Forum and thread contents split into multiple pages as they grow, enabling one to easily browse past posts. You can register and post without needing to publicly divulge personal information, and often the most personal information you need to provide at all (for private administrative purposes) is an email address.

Good luck finding many of the "truly interesting" animation discussions on Facebook that are older than five seconds, at least as a non-member. Yes, I'm being hyperbolic here, but you get the point. The memory-munching, browser-crashing mis-feature known as "infinite scrolling" combined with all the mindless chaff one often has to sift through to find discussions of merit on a page cripples the accessibility of older content, especially on a page that receives frequent posts. The search function on pages simply hasn't worked when I've tried it, nor does Google work here as a substitute. Don't check up on the more active pages on a frequent basis and you'll easily miss out on things. The Silent Cartoon Fan Club page is somewhat sane at least, but the Cartoon Research page, for instance, is a load of crap and obviously no substitute for a forum like this.

And of course Faceborg wants you to be assimilated and hand over your personal information. Heck, I just checked the aforementioned two pages for the first time in a while and now Facebook is overlaying a dialog wanting me to sign in/register just to view them. Fortunately the web developer tools in Firefox allow me to circumvent this crap, but for how long?

Suffice to say that I'm grateful this forum exists as a comparatively intelligent place to discuss and learn about animation, alternative to the social media mess, as well as for Eutychus's efforts to keep the GAC forum archive and other pages around, and would be sad to see it go. Personally, I like the "backwater"-like environment of this forum. Less meaningless clutter from the animation fanbase at large ("chaff" like I mentioned above) is good. It would be a good place for the historians, researchers, and more insightful commentators in general to gather to partake in meaningful animation history discussions, and have their contributions actually persist as an accessible informational resource. That's really what's missing here.

As for the database itself, the goals of the project are admirable, particularly it's interest in being the "most accurate" database around, and I should spend more time contributing what information I can than I have. IMO, to stand out from the other databases, it really needs to hold firm to that stated goal of accuracy. The system of only allowing users approved by the management to add to the database is good for this, but allowing so-called "researchers" to mine information from IMDb and the like is not. Sure, it's growth, but not a good kind of growth. I'd prefer a database that has less, but more reliable, information over one that is more "complete" but less reliable. A database committed to accuracy is a worthwhile effort.

Perhaps we should all pitch in and help pay for the costs of hosting this site. That's really the enemy of personally-owned sites like this. The less of a financial burden it is on Eutychus to keep this site going, the more worthwhile it will be to him to do so in spite of any lack of success with the broader animation community.
thanks 5 users thanked Zachary for this useful post.
dbear on 5/11/2018(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 5/11/2018(UTC), Toadette on 5/11/2018(UTC), PopKorn Kat on 5/11/2018(UTC), Jason Todd on 5/12/2018(UTC)
Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead  
#16 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2018 9:20:55 PM(UTC)
Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I just hope that you can keep this growing..
LuckyToon  
#17 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2018 2:15:54 AM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
No please no! I don't want this site takin down! I like this site!

It's so helpful on its source material I can find here.
thanks 1 user thanked LuckyToon for this useful post.
Jason Todd on 5/13/2018(UTC)
eutychus  
#18 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2018 5:15:13 AM(UTC)
eutychus

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Administrators, Moderator, WebsiteAdmin
Man
United States

Was thanked: 366 time(s) in 258 post(s)
The message board section of this site is really the least of my worries. I know heading into this that the message board, as a way of internet communication, is swiftly going the way of the rotary telephone. The primary reason I set it up was so we could have some way of alerting people to what was going on with the database and any new functions we might introduce. Although Zachary makes a good point how the format makes information much easier to access, especially after a long period of time. For instance, if someone posted a model sheet for "Don Donald" a year or so ago on Facebook, try to find it now, if you can even remember where it was posted. So, I'm not so concerned about the slowness of the message board, although it would be nice if it perked up a bit.

Financially, we're doing okay. I never intended the site as a way to make money, but just to make enough to cover the web hosting services we need to use. That runs about $1000 a year which we just barely break even with the Google ads we run.

Oner of the things that's getting me down right now is the immense amount of data that I have in store to get into the database. It's really my own fault for wanting to give as wide a fount of information as we possible could, but I'm extremely backlogged with the graphics end of things (screenshots, video covers, etc.) that it's really difficult to get caught up and devote my time to other aspects of the site (such as titles we still don't have included and whatnot.) Please don't let that slow down your submissions, though.

And there is so much more that I'd love to do as well. I'd love to have capsule desciptions of television shows as well as short biographies of as many artists as possible. No one can say that I didn't have a lot of ambition for the site.

The thing that, either rightly or wrongly, got me down in the dumps the other day was when I was uploading screenshots and the thought just drifted through my mind, "Why am I doing this? Does anybody really care what we're doing here?" A lot of times it just doesn't seem like we get a lot of respect from the animation community at large. (Our announcement that we hit 3000 sets of screenshots was met pretty much with silence for the most part.) I know it's just my inner demons talking but sometimes you like to hear if you're making a difference or if all the hard work we're putting into this is catching anyone's attention. That's what I meant by not getting much support... there's just not that many people in the animation community saying "Hey ... look at what they're doing over there!"

But, as I said to someone who was starting another animation website a while back, if you're doing this for the adulation of the public, you're probably doing it for the wrong reason. So there's my hypocrisy showing a bit. So, we will soldier on with my apologies for flipping out a bit. And with my heartfelt thanks for all the hard work you guys are doing.

However, there is another aspect to this that occurred to me as I was writing this. I don't know where we will be in 20 years. 20 years agoI don't think anyone could have foreseen the direction the internet would take us. But I'm getting older, I'm going to be 63 this year, and I can't keep it up forever. I would love to see this site kept going after I get too old and feeble to do it (which should be sometime next week.) So, unless someone steps up and wants to take over eventually, this site will go down some in the future. Hopefully not the near future, though, but keep that in the back of your minds if anyone wants to learn how it all work.

And feel free to slap me if I get like this again.
thanks 9 users thanked eutychus for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 5/13/2018(UTC), TibbyH on 5/13/2018(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 5/13/2018(UTC), dbear on 5/13/2018(UTC), Jason Todd on 5/13/2018(UTC), Toonatic on 5/13/2018(UTC), Zachary on 5/13/2018(UTC), Toadette on 5/14/2018(UTC), Gasmask Ted on 5/14/2018(UTC)
Blob55  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, June 6, 2018 12:20:47 PM(UTC)
Blob55

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Oh no! D:
PopKorn Kat  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, June 6, 2018 12:47:16 PM(UTC)
PopKorn Kat

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Administrators, Moderator, Beta Tester
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 195 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Blob55 Go to Quoted Post
Oh no! D:

This thread hasn't been replied to in a while (and I believe Pat's gotten over his despair event horizon) so I'm gonna close it.
thanks 4 users thanked PopKorn Kat for this useful post.
eutychus on 6/6/2018(UTC), Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead on 6/6/2018(UTC), TibbyH on 6/8/2018(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 6/9/2018(UTC)