Fundraiser: help needed scanning some 16mm cartoon rarities! - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dbear  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 24, 2018 1:02:01 AM(UTC)
dbear

Groups: Registered, Researcher

Was thanked: 148 time(s) in 80 post(s)
Permission to post granted by eutychus (special thanks to PopKorn Kat!)

tl;dr
Have some oddball cartoon rarities I'd like to get a digital scan of, would appreciate any donations towards scanning bills in exchange for private 'unrestored' 1080p digital downloads.

long version:
Hi IADers!

Being lucky enough to have some really unusual prints come my way recently, I have decided to go ahead getting digital scans for my own private research use. They're mostly 16mm but there's also 1 35mm IB Tech and a couple Super 8 I'd like to get done as well. I've managed to secure a very reasonable rate for 2k scanning with a contact of mine. However, to speed up funding, I thought it would be nice to offer 'unrestored' 1080p HD digital copies of the scans to any cartoon fanatics here who might be interested in exchange for donating towards part of the scanning bills. I have already paid off a couple scans myself and can vouch for the quality of my contact. The only snag is the turnaround time may be slow, but hopefully aiming to get *at least* 15 shorts fully scanned by the end of the year, at latest!

I have an eclectic mix of rarities lined up for scanning: likely unused live-action reference footage for an infamous animated feature, a few rare British Tech toons from the 40s/50s (including one I cannot find *any* information about online!), a couple really nice prints starring certain favourite Golden-Age characters we all love (or hate!) and oddball foreign stuff. I won't be posting a list publicly but if you shoot me a PM, I'd be happy to send over a preliminary one (titles subject to change).

Backers will be guaranteed a private download link to HD digital copies once scans are completed and sent back to me. Beyond a quick colour correction pass, I personally won't be handling any restoration or digital clean-up but I can guarantee the prints are in generally very good condition and should be nice enough to watch 'as-is'. As mentioned previously, this may take up to the end of the year but hopefully no later! It's highly unlikely I'll have the resources to burn DVD-Rs/BD-Rs but might keep that option open if interest is significantly high.

Discounting the costs I'd be willing to allocate myself towards this "little" side project, I'm aiming to raise at least US$500. I'll be flexible with donations, though I'd suggest around $20 would be reasonable to gain access to all the scans. (EDIT: Honestly even an amount as low as $5 would be appreciated and guarantee some form of access) The campaign will be left open at least until I get to this initial target, so you also have the option of donating more than once or spreading a pledge over an extended period of time if that suits you.

PM or shoot an e-mail to teddyndrowsy (AT) gmail (DOT) com for a PayPal donation link.

Any questions, comments or suggestions, feel free to reply to this thread, PM or e-mail me :)

Donations so far: $30/$500

Edited by user Thursday, May 24, 2018 1:23:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 4 users thanked dbear for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 4/24/2018(UTC), eutychus on 4/24/2018(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 4/25/2018(UTC), SuperMuppet64 on 4/27/2018(UTC)
Kristjan  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2018 3:23:25 PM(UTC)
Kristjan

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I would be willing to back it if I knew what chartoons were involved.
dbear  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2018 3:43:01 PM(UTC)
dbear

Originally Posted by: Kristjan Go to Quoted Post
I would be willing to back it if I knew what chartoons were involved.

Sending a PM over :)

Jason Todd  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2018 8:33:18 PM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I, too, would like to know what cartoons you're thinking of.
dbear  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2018 3:41:46 AM(UTC)
dbear

Quick update: first donation received and ledger added to first post! Currently have 6 shorts sent to the scanner, I’ll be receiving a download link to compressed “dry test scan” previews of those at some point soon before I get billed. Will be happy to share them with donors privately but keep in mind, for the final scans, my scanner contact will physically clean the prints if necessary (getting rid of any surface dirt, light base scratches etc.). The colour and cropping on the previews won’t necessarily be final either.