Sources of weird end titles from Public Domain prints of cartoons - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Daffyrocks18  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 1, 2018 2:01:29 AM(UTC)
Daffyrocks18

Groups: Registered
Man
Romania

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hello!

So everybody has seen faded, unremastered and splicy transfers of many cartoons, which are taken from Public Domain VHS and DVD releases. And while doing so, you probably have noticed that some particular shorts come with some end titles, which actually don't belong to those cartoons at all. And that's because of the print being very old, and also because of the damaged master which made some elements being deteriorated and thus cut out from the film reel. A very good example is this old print of "Spinning Mice", which has that exotic "The End" title card whose origin I really don't know.

So that's why I have today created this thread, because I would like to know from where all these weird spliced in end titles from unremastered PD cartoons actually come from (it can very well be another old cartoon, or an old live-action movie as well). I did see a lot of these instances, and they just grew the curiosity out of me Angel

I hope there is someone who at least knows some of these title cards' origins.

So without further ado, let's go!

First, I would like to know about the following:
  • The exotic title from "Spinning Mice", which I already sent the link to you of
  • This pink end title from "Merry Kittens"
  • This angular variant from "Parrotville Old Folks"
  • This weird intro and end titles from the Van Beuren's Tom and Jerry short "Hook & Ladder Hokum", which was renamed "A Fireman's Life" for home video and old TV releases I know these may come from the 70s redrawn print of this cartoon, which were ultimately grayscaled (seeing that farm background "The End" title whuch was present on many 70s redrawn black-and-whites), but I am not that sure.
  • This end title from the Comicolor short "Little Black Sambo", which apparently comes from a B&W cartoon, but I don't know which one

That's all which comes to my mind as of this moment. Again, I really hope you can help me :)

Remember that this thread is for everyone, so if you are also curious about these weird end titles and want to find out the origins to any of them, feel free to ask right in this thread :)
  • "WOO HOO! WOO HOO! WOO HOO-HOO-HOO-HOO!!!!"
    thanks 1 user thanked Daffyrocks18 for this useful post.
    Paul Thrussell on 4/3/2018(UTC)
    OutOfOdor  
    #2 Posted : Sunday, April 1, 2018 7:18:36 AM(UTC)
    OutOfOdor

United States

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 27 post(s)
    The "Fireman's Life" print comes from a bootleg cartoon package distributed by a company that went by the name of Astra TV. Not sure where that end title with the sun came from, though, possibly a titling service. Tom Stathes could give you some more info on the company, he's got a lot of these bootleg prints.
    "With all respect to the great mousetrap."- Popeye, "The Spinach Overture" (1935)
    thanks 1 user thanked OutOfOdor for this useful post.
    Daffyrocks18 on 4/1/2018(UTC)
    Daffyrocks18  
    #3 Posted : Sunday, April 1, 2018 10:19:42 PM(UTC)
    Daffyrocks18

Man
    Romania

Ok thanks, now what about the other ones I mentioned ? :)

Also, I suppose the Astra TV cartoon package aired the shorts in black-and-white, and not colorized or redrawn. Is that right?

Edited by user Sunday, April 1, 2018 10:23:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"WOO HOO! WOO HOO! WOO HOO-HOO-HOO-HOO!!!!"
    OutOfOdor  
    #4 Posted : Monday, April 2, 2018 7:35:58 AM(UTC)
    OutOfOdor

United States

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 27 post(s)
    Originally Posted by: Daffyrocks18 Go to Quoted Post

Also, I suppose the Astra TV cartoon package aired the shorts in black-and-white, and not colorized or redrawn. Is that right?

Yup, here's an example of one of their bootleg prints:

Also, sorry, but I can't help you with the other end titles.

Edited by user Monday, April 2, 2018 7:36:33 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"With all respect to the great mousetrap."- Popeye, "The Spinach Overture" (1935)
    thanks 1 user thanked OutOfOdor for this useful post.
    Daffyrocks18 on 4/3/2018(UTC)
    Daffyrocks18  
    #5 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2018 3:55:51 AM(UTC)
    Daffyrocks18

Man
    Romania

Originally Posted by: OutOfOdor Go to Quoted Post
    Originally Posted by: Daffyrocks18 Go to Quoted Post

Yup, here's an example of one of their bootleg prints:

Also, sorry, but I can't help you with the other end titles.

Oh, I see there reused music from Van Beuren shorts like "Spinning Mice", "Merry Kittens", "Cupid Gets His Man" and "Parrotville Old Folks". I also heard these reused stock musics on the 70s Radio & Television Packagers Redrawn shorts (check "bumbumdbear" 's Youtube channel)

Anyways, it's okay if you can't help me with the others.... But I really hope someone else can! Angel

"WOO HOO! WOO HOO! WOO HOO-HOO-HOO-HOO!!!!"