Casanova Cat (ORIGINAL TITLES FOUND!!!)- Page 2 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bodek610  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2018 2:03:08 AM(UTC)
bodek610

Groups: Registered
Poland

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LuckyToon Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: bodek610 Go to Quoted Post
Little Quacker, 1950 has its original opening title card restored (it is available via Amazon Prime Video Germany and YouTube for $1,99.

It's also on Vimeo and Dailymotion to watch for free.

That user who uploaded that original version got this short from me and I got from other person.
User is suspended until 6/14/2292 4:56:53 PM(UTC) LuckyToon  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2018 4:18:36 AM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post
It should be mentioned though that Puss Gets the Boot and The Night Before Christmas always had their original titles, so those aren't exactly modern finds.

Except the remastered DVD release of Puss Gets the Boot is an early 60's reissue print. Although most of the presentation of the original opening titles are there, the only exception is the "MGM Cartoon" title card. Since it's been recreated and doesn't have the red "In Technicolor" byline in the title.

I can prove it by comparing both the Turner print and the remastered DVD print.

Original MGM Cartoon Title Card
UserPostedImage

Reissue MGM Cartoon Title Card
UserPostedImage

Edited by user Tuesday, March 6, 2018 4:19:43 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked LuckyToon for this useful post.
Jonathan Wilson on 3/19/2018(UTC)
Mesterius  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2018 5:40:23 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post
It should be mentioned though that Puss Gets the Boot and The Night Before Christmas always had their original titles, so those aren't exactly modern finds.

Except the remastered DVD release of Puss Gets the Boot is an early 60's reissue print. Although most of the presentation of the original opening titles are there, the only exception is the "MGM Cartoon" title card. Since it's been recreated and doesn't have the red "In Technicolor" byline in the title.

I can prove it by comparing both the Turner print and the remastered DVD print.

Original MGM Cartoon Title Card
UserPostedImage

Reissue MGM Cartoon Title Card
UserPostedImage

Interesting. I'm assuming it has been documented that the "In Technicolor" title card is the older version, then? (It certainly makes sense, since the MGM cartoons had switched fully to color only very recently.)

This makes me wonder what the original source for the Turner TV print was. Was it simply a different CRI safety print -- which, for whatever reason, wasn't used to remaster the cartoon for DVD and Blu-ray? Also, I guess this should mean that the unrestored "Classic Collection" PAL DVD release includes the "In Technicolor" version.
Jason Todd  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2018 8:44:16 AM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Man
United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I want to learn how to digitally restore the correct title sequences to Puss Gets the Boot myself. The cartoon itself doesn't need any additional restoration (Warner's print of that short looks good enough, in my opinion), but the weird, obvious 1960s television dupe titles bother me.
User is suspended until 6/14/2292 4:56:53 PM(UTC) LuckyToon  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2018 10:17:21 PM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jason Todd Go to Quoted Post
I want to learn how to digitally restore the correct title sequences to Puss Gets the Boot myself. The cartoon itself doesn't need any additional restoration (Warner's print of that short looks good enough, in my opinion), but the weird, obvious 1960s television dupe titles bother me.

Not to worry, I did it already just now. I actually took the MGM Cartoon title from "Piece on Earth" (1939) and restored the title in the way how it was shown in Puss Gets the Boot. I used Photoshop to remaster it.

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Tuesday, March 6, 2018 10:20:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked LuckyToon for this useful post.
Jonathan Wilson on 3/19/2018(UTC)
Mesterius  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2018 11:26:35 PM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: Jason Todd Go to Quoted Post

Not to worry, I did it already just now. I actually took the MGM Cartoon title from "Piece on Earth" (1939) and restored the title in the way how it was shown in Puss Gets the Boot. I used Photoshop to remaster it.

UserPostedImage

But it's not 100% accurate. "Puss Gets the Boot" is from 1940, while "Peace on Earth" is from 1939. So the Roman numerals for the copyrighted year are different. In your fan-edited framegrab from Peace on Earth it says MCMXXXIX (1939), while the original title card for Puss Gets the Boot says MCMXL (1940). You can see it in this video, which is sharp enough to read the numerals.
bodek610  
#27 Posted : Wednesday, March 7, 2018 12:28:14 AM(UTC)
bodek610

Poland

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
This should look better, but it isn't perfect at all.

Puss Gets the Boot

Edited by user Wednesday, March 7, 2018 12:31:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Thad Komorowski  
#28 Posted : Wednesday, March 7, 2018 12:35:55 AM(UTC)
Thad Komorowski

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Puss Gets the Boot is sourced from the TV neg. I've had film prints of those cartoons with the big bold MGM logo redone to remove the Technicolor credit, which then jumpcuts to further in the cartoon's credits. Unlike with the other T&Js sourced from TV negs, Boot is still a significant upgrade from the old copies.
thanks 3 users thanked Thad Komorowski for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 3/7/2018(UTC), SuperMuppet64 on 3/7/2018(UTC), Jason Todd on 3/7/2018(UTC)
Mesterius  
#29 Posted : Wednesday, March 7, 2018 2:41:04 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: Thad Komorowski Go to Quoted Post
Puss Gets the Boot is sourced from the TV neg. I've had film prints of those cartoons with the big bold MGM logo redone to remove the Technicolor credit, which then jumpcuts to further in the cartoon's credits. Unlike with the other T&Js sourced from TV negs, Boot is still a significant upgrade from the old copies.

Ah, so it's sourced from the same kind of TV print used to remaster the ten inferior-looking cartoons on T&J Golden Collection Volume 1, in other words. That explains why the reference to Technicolor was removed (to quote your review from back then, "because there was no intention of these versions ever replicating it").

I'll agree about the quality of the "Boot" print -- the colors on the restored Blu-ray look good enough that I could have easily believed it was real Technicolor. Plus, it doesn't have the obviously-out-of-place 60s MGM lion in the start -- I guess this print was struck at an earlier time?

Edited by user Wednesday, March 7, 2018 2:43:18 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Daffyrocks18  
#30 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 2:30:46 AM(UTC)
Daffyrocks18

Man
Romania

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Thad Komorowski Go to Quoted Post
Hey, guys. To end speculation, I was the buyer. The print is just OK—obviously a modern reduction dupe from a turning 35mm element, and it looks like there were some printing errors after the titles (causing the misframing one of you noted) in the first minute. It's a cool curio for the original credits/font style for a cartoon that is not-one-of-my-favorites, but probably useless for restoration purposes, since Warners won't work from 16mm (as Steve and I have reported in the past) and especially since it's one of the two titles that's kept the second T&J set in unreleased hell. Oh well!

Oh. Then I hope you will be nice enough to upload the original titles to your Youtube channel Angel
"WOO HOO! WOO HOO! WOO HOO-HOO-HOO-HOO!!!!"
Matteen  
#31 Posted : Friday, August 3, 2018 1:23:41 AM(UTC)
Matteen

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hey everyone! I found an original print of the Tom Cat and Jerry cartoon "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Mouse."

Here is the website:
https://www.ebay.com/itm...p;_trksid=p2047675.l2557
thanks 1 user thanked Matteen for this useful post.
Jason Todd on 8/3/2018(UTC)
Jason Todd  
#32 Posted : Friday, August 3, 2018 2:11:43 AM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Man
United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Matteen Go to Quoted Post
Hey everyone! I found an original print of the Tom Cat and Jerry cartoon "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Mouse."

Here is the website:

I think it's amazing that so many more Tom and Jerry cartoons exist in prints that retain the original titles than any of us were previously aware of...

Edited by user Friday, August 3, 2018 2:12:31 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mesterius  
#33 Posted : Friday, August 3, 2018 2:21:18 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: Matteen Go to Quoted Post

Here is the website:

Damn, only in black and white. And it looks just like the original title card shot which can be seen in Thad's online MGM filmography too:

whataboutthad.com

eBay

I wonder if we'll ever see this title card in color.