Casanova Cat (ORIGINAL TITLES FOUND!!!) - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Cool_Cat  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 19, 2018 9:17:07 AM(UTC)
Cool_Cat

Groups: Registered
Italy

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Here: https://www.ebay.com/itm...ner=1#vi__app-cvip-panel

It looks like someone got it already though.
Jason Todd  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 19, 2018 1:47:11 PM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Man
United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Wow!!!

Whomever purchased that print had better be content on digitally restoring it! I wanna see Casanova Cat with the original titles intact.
LuckyToon  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 20, 2018 12:38:10 AM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Man
United States

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
A friend of mine on Facebook did show this to me days ago recently. And I was surprised.
SuperMuppet64  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 20, 2018 7:58:06 AM(UTC)
SuperMuppet64

Man
United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 21 post(s)
interestingly the main part of the film seems to be misaligned...wonder if its like that for the whole cartoon
UserPostedImage
Mesterius  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 20, 2018 8:37:23 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Awesome find. As always, the original title card looks a million times better than the reissue:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
LuckyToon  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 20, 2018 1:49:05 PM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post
Awesome find. As always, the original title card looks a million times better than the reissue

I agree.
Thad Komorowski  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 28, 2018 7:03:40 AM(UTC)
Thad Komorowski

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Hey, guys. To end speculation, I was the buyer. The print is just OK—obviously a modern reduction dupe from a turning 35mm element, and it looks like there were some printing errors after the titles (causing the misframing one of you noted) in the first minute. It's a cool curio for the original credits/font style for a cartoon that is not-one-of-my-favorites, but probably useless for restoration purposes, since Warners won't work from 16mm (as Steve and I have reported in the past) and especially since it's one of the two titles that's kept the second T&J set in unreleased hell. Oh well!

Edited by user Wednesday, February 28, 2018 7:04:49 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 9 users thanked Thad Komorowski for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 2/28/2018(UTC), dbear on 2/28/2018(UTC), eutychus on 2/28/2018(UTC), Zachary on 2/28/2018(UTC), Jason Todd on 2/28/2018(UTC), Mesterius on 2/28/2018(UTC), Jonathan Wilson on 2/28/2018(UTC), SuperMuppet64 on 3/1/2018(UTC), Paul Thrussell on 3/3/2018(UTC)
bodek610  
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 4, 2018 1:10:30 AM(UTC)
bodek610

Poland

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
https://www.ebay.com/itm...7ca27:g:7~QAAOSwIJlZ6xsQ - Well, idk how to treat this one. Because this shows, that it has 1952-1954 MGM with Tanner opening title card.
Jason Todd  
#9 Posted : Sunday, March 4, 2018 5:38:09 AM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: bodek610 Go to Quoted Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tom-Jerry-Baby-Butch-1954-Cartoon-35mm-print-80s-reprint/253192817191?hash=item3af377ca27:g:7~QAAOSwIJlZ6xsQ - Well, idk how to treat this one. Because this shows, that it has 1952-1954 MGM with Tanner opening title card.

Does the rest of the opening title sequence contain a era-accurate look to it (à la Mice Follies)? If so, you might as well get it.
Jason Todd  
#10 Posted : Sunday, March 4, 2018 5:45:05 AM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Man
United States

While we're on the subject of Tom and Jerry original titles, as I've previously brought up on earlier occasions, the original titles for The Midnight Snack, Fraidy Cat, Puss N' Toots, The Zoot Cat, Mouse Trouble, Texas Tom, and Tom and Jerry in the Hollywood Bowl are known to exist. Having said that, are these prints all in sixteen-millimeter? Or do some exist in thirty-five-millimeter copies?
bodek610  
#11 Posted : Sunday, March 4, 2018 11:52:02 PM(UTC)
bodek610

Poland

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Little Quacker, 1950 has its original opening title card restored (it is available via Amazon Prime Video Germany and YouTube for $1,99.

LuckyToon  
#12 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2018 4:09:39 AM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Little Quacker, 1950 has its original opening title card restored (it is available via Amazon Prime Video Germany and YouTube for $1,99.

It's also on Vimeo and Dailymotion to watch for free.

Edited by user Monday, March 5, 2018 4:10:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked LuckyToon for this useful post.
Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead on 3/5/2018(UTC), Daffyrocks18 on 3/12/2018(UTC)
MGMcartoonguy  
#13 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2018 5:27:53 AM(UTC)
MGMcartoonguy

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The Milky WaifTom CatJerry original titles FOUND

https://www.marktplaats....-60mtr-kleur-silent.html
thanks 2 users thanked MGMcartoonguy for this useful post.
LuckyToon on 3/5/2018(UTC), Jason Todd on 3/5/2018(UTC)
LuckyToon  
#14 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2018 9:56:32 AM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: MGMcartoonguy Go to Quoted Post

https://www.marktplaats....-60mtr-kleur-silent.html

Oh good, It's great to see this finally.
Jason Todd  
#15 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2018 6:34:55 PM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Man
United States

Wow! So The Milky Waif AND Casanova Cat exist in prints with original titles!

So that means...
Puss Gets the Boot, The Midnight Snack, The Night Before Christmas, Fraidy Cat, Puss N' Toots, The Zoot Cat, Mouse Trouble, The Milky Waif, Little Quacker, Texas Tom, Tom and Jerry in the Hollywood Bowl, and Casanova Cat are all known to exist in first-release form. Wow.

I can't help but wonder what other "original" prints of pre-1951 MGM cartoons exist that we don't know about...
Mesterius  
#16 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2018 9:13:21 PM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: Jason Todd Go to Quoted Post

So that means...
Puss Gets the Boot, The Midnight Snack, The Night Before Christmas, Fraidy Cat, Puss N' Toots, The Zoot Cat, Mouse Trouble, The Milky Waif, Little Quacker, Texas Tom, Tom and Jerry in the Hollywood Bowl, and Casanova Cat are all known to exist in first-release form. Wow.

I can't help but wonder what other "original" prints of pre-1951 MGM cartoons exist that we don't know about...

Yeah, you never know when new discoveries might turn up. It should be mentioned though that Puss Gets the Boot and The Night Before Christmas always had their original titles, so those aren't exactly modern finds.

Also, do we really know that Mouse Cleaning exists with the original titles? I'm going from memory here, but it seems to me that a lot of people (me included) simply assumed this when Jerry Beck announced, years ago in anticipation of T&J Golden Collection Vol. 1, that Warner had discovered original nitrates of a handful of Tom and Jerry titles, Mouse Cleaning included. But I recall Jerry saying at one point later – likely on Stu's Show – that even though the original nitrate for a cartoon is found, that does NOT necessarily mean it includes the original titles, as MGM would often splice the reissue titles titles directly onto the original nitrate when re-releasing a film.

I don't have a source to link to for this, but I'm pretty sure it's what Jerry said about the issue (answering me or someone else asking about the titles). If anyone remembers which Stu's Show broadcast it was from, feel free to supplement with details.

Another thing, in the case of The Milky Waif: 8mm home movies aren't really up to snuff for restoration purposes from what I know. 35mm is ideal, 16mm can also look very good... but 8mm is a pretty severe reduction of the original film quality. But of course, it's still nice to see the titles for historical purposes.

Speaking of which, somebody already bought the 8mm on Marktplaats. Might as well embed the one pic that still seems to be accessible:

UserPostedImage

EDIT: Sorry, I was wrong about the print on Marktplaats being bought. Seems it has simply been relisted: https://www.marktplaats....-60mtr-kleur-silent.html

Edited by user Monday, March 5, 2018 9:18:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead  
#17 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2018 10:23:18 PM(UTC)
Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LuckyToon Go to Quoted Post

Very good regards these cartoons' opening titles, although why die-hard fans might even WANT to watch "Little Quacker"and the other proto-Yakky Doodle T&J cartoons would be another question, and another topic.
Jason Todd  
#18 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2018 10:31:12 PM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post

So that means...

Yeah, you never know when new discoveries might turn up. It should be mentioned though that Puss Gets the Boot and The Night Before Christmas always had their original titles, so those aren't exactly modern finds.

Also, do we really know that Mouse Cleaning exists with the original titles? I'm going from memory here, but it seems to me that a lot of people (me included) simply assumed this when Jerry Beck announced, years ago in anticipation of T&J Golden Collection Vol. 1, that Warner had discovered original nitrates of a handful of Tom and Jerry titles, Mouse Cleaning included. But I recall Jerry saying at one point later – likely on Stu's Show – that even though the original nitrate for a cartoon is found, that does NOT necessarily mean it includes the original titles, as MGM would often splice the reissue titles titles directly onto the original nitrate when re-releasing a film.

I don't have a source to link to for this, but I'm pretty sure it's what Jerry said about the issue (answering me or someone else asking about the titles). If anyone remembers which Stu's Show broadcast it was from, feel free to supplement with details.

Another thing, in the case of The Milky Waif: 8mm home movies aren't really up to snuff for restoration purposes from what I know. 35mm is ideal, 16mm can also look very good... but 8mm is a pretty severe reduction of the original film quality. But of course, it's still nice to see the titles for historical purposes.

Speaking of which, somebody already bought the 8mm on Marktplaats. Might as well embed the one pic that still seems to be accessible:

UserPostedImage

EDIT: Sorry, I was wrong about the print on Marktplaats being bought. Seems it has simply been relisted: https://www.marktplaats....-60mtr-kleur-silent.html

I know the first two entries I mentioned always had their original titles. I was just making note of all the pre-1951 Tom and Jerrys that now exist with them. Also, I didn't mention Mouse Cleaning. I mentioned Mouse Trouble, which we know David Gerstein discovered a sixteen-millimeter print that contains the original title sequences back in 2010.

Edited by user Monday, March 5, 2018 10:35:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mesterius  
#19 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2018 11:51:17 PM(UTC)
Mesterius

I know the first two entries I mentioned always had their original titles. I was just making note of all the pre-1951 Tom and Jerrys that now exist with them.

Actually, the first and third entry. But yeah, I get what you mean. :)

Also, I didn't mention Mouse Cleaning. I mentioned Mouse Trouble, which we know David Gerstein discovered a sixteen-millimeter print that contains the original title sequences back in 2010.

D'oh! Sorry, my mistake! And here I went and wrote that long paragraph about Mouse Cleaning all because of a misreading.
Mesterius  
#20 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2018 11:53:38 PM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: LuckyToon Go to Quoted Post

Very good regards these cartoons' opening titles, although why die-hard fans might even WANT to watch "Little Quacker"and the other proto-Yakky Doodle T&J cartoons would be another question, and another topic.

It's a completion thing. :P Those cartoons are VERY far from my list of favorites, too... but I still want to be able to watch them (and ideally own them on Blu-ray) in restored HD.
thanks 1 user thanked Mesterius for this useful post.
Jonathan Wilson on 3/19/2018(UTC)