The Calico Dragon (1935) - original MPPDA card - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dbear  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 2, 2018 6:01:46 AM(UTC)
dbear

Groups: Registered, Researcher

Was thanked: 146 time(s) in 79 post(s)
Just acquired a nice low-fade Super 8mm print of this cartoon in decent condition with seemingly complete original lab leaders. The leaders have all sorts of film geekery stuff scrawled onto it such as MGM LABS INC., "CRI FLAT" and a 2/28/84 date.

But probably of more interest to folks here, it has this neat little curio before the MGM lion missing from my DVD-sourced copy:

UserPostedImage

Also curiously, on the DVD copy the title card fades to black prematurely. On the print, the title remains on screen for a few seconds after the rest of the title card fades out. More in line with other entries in the series.

UserPostedImage
thanks 6 users thanked dbear for this useful post.
VoiceTalentBrendan on 2/2/2018(UTC), Toadette on 2/2/2018(UTC), PopKorn Kat on 2/2/2018(UTC), Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead on 2/2/2018(UTC), Zachary on 2/2/2018(UTC), Daffyrocks18 on 3/22/2018(UTC)
Daffyrocks18  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2018 1:25:58 AM(UTC)
Daffyrocks18

Groups: Registered
Man
Romania

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Wow wow.

Great find, my body. Dancing

I never knew MGM cartoons used to have MPPDDA cards before the logo. So Walt Disney used them, WB did, Paramount/Fleischer Studios did, now we need to find out if Terrytoons, Columbia and Walter Lantz also used them.

Anyways, about the separate "The Calico Dragon" stand-alone title card, the reason it got removed from the DVD print is because it's the same remaster made by Turner for Cartoon Network, which for some reason (maybe because someone over there at the editing got drunk or something Drool ) has the opening titles fading out earlier than usual, before the rest of the titles fade out to the single cartoon name title card (you know that every Turner print of MGM/Looney Tunes shorts with the borders around them all have that artificial fade in and out, which is done a few seconds before or after the original fade happened). This particular title card can also be found on the Laserdisc print of this short, which can be seen on Dailymotion (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xwvmoo)

Edited by user Thursday, March 22, 2018 1:29:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"WOO HOO! WOO HOO! WOO HOO-HOO-HOO-HOO!!!!"
Justin Delbert  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2018 3:54:56 AM(UTC)
Justin Delbert

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Daffyrocks18 Go to Quoted Post
Wow wow.

I never knew MGM cartoons used to have MPPDDA cards before the logo. So Walt Disney used them, WB did, Paramount/Fleischer Studios did, now we need to find out if Terrytoons, Columbia and Walter Lantz also used them.

Columbia did use it

I also recall a TCM airing of The Lost Chick. It too had that title card. As did To Spring, it was on the Attack of the 30's Characters (but strangely was not on Technicolor Dreams and Black and White Nightmares). I wonder why so many films at that time did that?
Daffyrocks18  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2018 8:57:58 PM(UTC)
Daffyrocks18

Man
Romania

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Justin Delbert Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Daffyrocks18 Go to Quoted Post
Wow wow.

Columbia did use it

I also recall a TCM airing of The Lost Chick. It too had that title card. As did To Spring, it was on the Attack of the 30's Characters (but strangely was not on Technicolor Dreams and Black and White Nightmares). I wonder why so many films at that time did that?

Oh, I missed that. Sorry

"WOO HOO! WOO HOO! WOO HOO-HOO-HOO-HOO!!!!"