Are the Popeye DVD Sets Out of Print? - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jason Todd  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 28, 2018 4:44:29 AM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I tried looking for the collector-oriented, official Warner Home Video-released Popeye the Sailor DVD sets on WB Shop, but had no luck. The only places I can seem to find them listed are Amazon and eBay. I bought my copy of Volume 1 a few months ago, at a pretty reasonable price, but Volumes 2 and 3 are EXCEEDINGLY expensive! Did Warner only produce a limited run of copies when they originally released these sets?
Gasmask Ted  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 29, 2018 9:01:40 PM(UTC)
Gasmask Ted

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Must be out of print. The Amazon third party selers must have competing algortithms that are spiraling the price. There appears to be a reaosnably priced copies on eBay (volume 3 at least; there's at least one new copy for $35); other copies on eBay appear to be taking the algorithm spiral.
Bradskey  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 30, 2018 2:59:40 AM(UTC)
Bradskey

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I think a lot of Warner stuff has been in a long process of going out of print, with bits of it being brought back with the MOD program. There was also a limited edition of the first volume in a nice tin as I recall, probably OOP for a long time. Unless its something literally nobody cares about I find Amazon Marketplace prices for this kind of stuff to be absurd and much better deals to be had on eBay.
thanks 1 user thanked Bradskey for this useful post.
Mark The Shark on 2/2/2018(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 30, 2018 3:50:57 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Bradskey Go to Quoted Post
I think a lot of Warner stuff has been in a long process of going out of print, with bits of it being brought back with the MOD program. There was also a limited edition of the first volume in a nice tin as I recall, probably OOP for a long time. Unless its something literally nobody cares about I find Amazon Marketplace prices for this kind of stuff to be absurd and much better deals to be had on eBay.

There was yet again another limited edition tin made, this time including all three volumes as opposed to just the first set. That set, compared to the version you mentioned, goes for astronomical prices compared to the only first volume tin I can remember seeing on eBay.
Jason Todd  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 30, 2018 4:24:08 PM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Man
United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 11 post(s)
What I find strange is that I got Volume 1 on eBay for twenty-something bucks. From what I've seen, eBay offers copies of Volume 2 at nearly four times that amount, and Volume 3 runs at over a hundred-and-fifty-something dollars. That's beyond ridiculous.
WaltWiz1901  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 10:12:25 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jason Todd Go to Quoted Post
What I find strange is that I got Volume 1 on eBay for twenty-something bucks. From what I've seen, eBay offers copies of Volume 2 at nearly four times that amount, and Volume 3 runs at over a hundred-and-fifty-something dollars. That's beyond ridiculous.

Don't give up yet. There still may be some good deals on Amazon, elsewhere on eBay, or, if you're lucky, a store like FYE.

In comparison to this issue, the later sets in the Walt Disney Treasures line go for insane prices anywhere you can find them.......literally, they're not easy to purchase for a reasonable price.
Mark The Shark  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 2, 2018 12:45:34 AM(UTC)
Mark The Shark

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WaltWiz1901 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Jason Todd Go to Quoted Post

Don't give up yet. There still may be some good deals on Amazon, elsewhere on eBay, or, if you're lucky, a store like FYE.

In comparison to this issue, the later sets in the Walt Disney Treasures line go for insane prices anywhere you can find them.......literally, they're not easy to purchase for a reasonable price.

We had/have an FYE, not really near me but within a half hour drive. I used to go in there periodically and sometimes pick stuff up. I stopped in there a few weeks ago and it was a culture shock. The store is completely reorganized and rearranged (they even moved to a different spot in the mall) and they seem to be going down the same road as Blockbuster in their decline, selling candy, books and stuff. The DVD selection was "streamlined," I guess is how I would describe it. So I wouldn't count on FYE. Too bad though, it was nice while it lasted.

That's a bummer about the Popeye volumes going out of print. Glad I got them. Probably doesn't bode well for additional volumes. I wonder if that has to do with the license from King Features expiring?