Restoration Sources Thunderbean Typically Works With for Their Releases - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jason Todd  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 22, 2017 5:02:18 PM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I'm fairly new to the group of cartoon fans that buy Thunderbean's DVDs and Blu-rays, and I've been curious about the sources which Mr. Stanchfield and his team typically restore from. Have they ever restored a cartoon from its original camera negative, or do they usually just use whatever copies (be it sixteen or thirty-five millimeter fine grain or nitrate prints) they have access to?
bort  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 22, 2017 6:26:56 PM(UTC)
bort

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 11 post(s)
The public domain and "special" discs are typically transferred from old 16/35mm prints that Steve finds. Sometimes these are taken from old 16mm home movie re-releases (Castle Films or Official Films). Other times, he is able to get well-preserved original elements though a licensing agreement with an external collection (e.g. Blackhawk Films), resulting in transfers that look really great (such as the Private Snafu and Willie Whopper sets).

I believe the transfers themselves are typically done on a Shadow Telecine attached to a Da Vinci 2K color corrector, at a company called Ringside Creative in Michigan.
thanks 3 users thanked bort for this useful post.
Jason Todd on 12/23/2017(UTC), Donstre on 12/23/2017(UTC), curiouser1228 on 12/28/2017(UTC)
Steve Stanchfield  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 24, 2017 10:05:04 PM(UTC)
Steve Stanchfield

Was thanked: 446 time(s) in 133 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bort Go to Quoted Post
The public domain and "special" discs are typically transferred from old 16/35mm prints that Steve finds. Sometimes these are taken from old 16mm home movie re-releases (Castle Films or Official Films). Other times, he is able to get well-preserved original elements though a licensing agreement with an external collection (e.g. Blackhawk Films), resulting in transfers that look really great (such as the Private Snafu and Willie Whopper sets).

I believe the transfers themselves are typically done on a Shadow Telecine attached to a Da Vinci 2K color corrector, at a company called Ringside Creative in Michigan.

Thanks Bort! You've made my life easy and got a good amount of the details already!

A good amount of the time we do take stuff to Ringside here; they've got a really good Shadow that's really like a Spirit (that's doing true HD\, having been souped up beyond the usual specs). We also do scans in 2k and 4k/ 5k for many of the films now, and we generally do those scans on a Lasergraphics scanner. Those scans have astonishing quality, and that was we can give a digital master back to the archives in film quality. It's also more expensive, and I have to travel to do them... so Detroit is good for a lot of reasons, although not too many people are doing Telecine around here these days.

These days, generally, if we're working from 35mm camera neg for an archive, it's almost always scanned by us in 5k, handling the Nitrate and working with the archive. We're going through elements at the archives and determining the best material to scan, often scanning multiple copies to get the most complete and best results.

If you have any other questions I'll always try to answer!

Edited by user Sunday, December 24, 2017 10:08:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 7 users thanked Steve Stanchfield for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 12/25/2017(UTC), Donstre on 12/25/2017(UTC), Jason Todd on 12/25/2017(UTC), dbear on 12/25/2017(UTC), Toadette on 12/25/2017(UTC), treadwell on 12/27/2017(UTC), curiouser1228 on 12/28/2017(UTC)
Jason Todd  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 25, 2017 5:13:41 PM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Man
United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Thank you, Steve! And I must say, as a young fan/collector of classic animated material, I really appreciate you continuing to restore and release cartoons that the rest of society no longer has any interest in.
thanks 1 user thanked Jason Todd for this useful post.
curiouser1228 on 12/28/2017(UTC)