Walt Disney Legacy Collection: Project brainstorming- Page 2 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Poll Question : Which animation-related sets would you be excited for if they were released?
Choice Votes Statistics
  Mickey Mouse: The Black & White Years
36 %
  Mickey Mouse: The Color Collection
0 %
  The Chronological Donald Duck (three volumes)
18 %
  The Complete Goofy
0 %
  The Complete Pluto
0 %
  Silly Symphonies
0 %
  The Oswald the Lucky Rabbit Collection
0 %
  Walt Disney Rarities
0 %
  Alice in Cartoonland
0 %
  All of the above
45 %
  Total 11 100%
Guests can't vote. Try login or register.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PopKorn Kat  
#21 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2017 5:17:23 AM(UTC)
PopKorn Kat

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Administrators, Moderator, Beta Tester
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 246 time(s) in 184 post(s)
I feel Dave Bossert should do a few commentaries, perhaps for the Oswald shorts.
thanks 2 users thanked PopKorn Kat for this useful post.
VoiceTalentBrendan on 12/7/2017(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 12/7/2017(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#22 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2017 5:46:25 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat Go to Quoted Post
I feel Dave Bossert should do a few commentaries, perhaps for the Oswald shorts.

Dave Bossert is definitely going to be involved with Oswald, as one of the shorts listed in the commentary section, Empty Socks, features a commentary by him and the booklet is half-written by him.

As for original titles, many shorts that did not include them on the Treasures will retain them here. Can anyone here give me some ideas to use or locate original titles for these sets?
thanks 1 user thanked WaltWiz1901 for this useful post.
VoiceTalentBrendan on 12/7/2017(UTC)
PopKorn Kat  
#23 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2017 5:57:25 AM(UTC)
PopKorn Kat

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Administrators, Moderator, Beta Tester
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 246 time(s) in 184 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WaltWiz1901 Go to Quoted Post
As for original titles, many shorts that did not include them on the Treasures will retain them here. Can anyone here give me some ideas to use or locate original titles for these sets?

This person called Erik has a channel with plenty of original and alternate titles for Disney shorts.
thanks 3 users thanked PopKorn Kat for this useful post.
VoiceTalentBrendan on 12/7/2017(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 12/7/2017(UTC), Mac on 1/10/2018(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#24 Posted : Thursday, December 7, 2017 8:17:53 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat Go to Quoted Post

This person called Erik has a channel with plenty of original and alternate titles for Disney shorts.

Neat! Those are pretty good candidates for inclusion in the sets.

What other bonus features could be included that I haven't thought of yet?
WaltWiz1901  
#25 Posted : Monday, January 8, 2018 8:19:44 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Gosh, it's been quite some time since I told you all about this idea. (With the 90th anniversary of Mickey Mouse coming up very soon, it's almost time something like this gets discussed further or, better yet, gets planned at the actual Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment later this year!)

Anyways, I've been thinking about what to do with the Legacy Collection (namely, promoting it and making consumers more aware of it). While the Treasures were barely advertised at all (the first wave of those got a promo on some Disney DVDs, but that's the only thing I can recall about that), the advertising for the Legacy sets needs to improve, and there's only a couple of things I could think about that topic (maybe a promo, but that's it).

What advertising could the Legacy Collection have?
Mac  
#26 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 1:20:29 AM(UTC)
Mac

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 28 post(s)
I like the ideas! Since we're dreaming here, what would make these make-believe sets perfect, for me, wouldn't be the inclusion of recreated titles (I'd rather see reissue titles if the originals don't exist), however, there would be a hugely expensive and exhaustive world-wide search for prints in collections, archives and museums and around the world to find even the tiniest pieces of lost footage. Also there wouldn't just be commentaries by the top experts, the sets would be overseen by them to ensure they're as perfect as possible. In my world, the sets wouldn't be seen as just a commercial release, but a way of sharing the results of a major research and restoration effort.

Some extras I would like to see and hear would be:
• Vintage contemporary records and song recordings featuring songs and characters from the cartoons or songs that were just about the characters.
• Deleted scenes and alternate versions (such as the original ending to "The Night Before Christmas", the extra scenes in "The Wise Little Hen", the alternate version of "The Castaway").
• Alternate titles including foreign versions and some home movie prints.
• Unfinished cartoons, perhaps presented as storyboards and using the current voice talent performing the characters.
• Documentaries relating to specific years and characters which look not just at the animated cartoons, but how the the characters were being used in other media such as in comics books and radio.
thanks 1 user thanked Mac for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 1/10/2018(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#27 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 2:50:13 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Mac Go to Quoted Post
I like the ideas! Since we're dreaming here, what would make these make-believe sets perfect, for me, wouldn't be the inclusion of recreated titles (I'd rather see reissue titles if the originals don't exist), however, there would be a hugely expensive and exhaustive world-wide search for prints in collections, archives and museums and around the world to find even the tiniest pieces of lost footage. Also there wouldn't just be commentaries by the top experts, the sets would be overseen by them to ensure they're as perfect as possible. In my world, the sets wouldn't be seen as just a commercial release, but a way of sharing the results of a major research and restoration effort.

Some extras I would like to see and hear would be:
• Vintage contemporary records and song recordings featuring songs and characters from the cartoons or songs that were just about the characters.
Deleted scenes and alternate versions (such as the original ending to "The Night Before Christmas", the extra scenes in "The Wise Little Hen", the alternate version of "The Castaway").
Alternate titles including foreign versions and some home movie prints.
Unfinished cartoons, perhaps presented as storyboards and using the current voice talent performing the characters.
• Documentaries relating to specific years and characters which look not just at the animated cartoons, but how the the characters were being used in other media such as in comics books and radio.

Although I can see why you don't like recreated titles (they do, however, better reflect the time and era the body of the short was made), many of them will either be included as bonuses or, if easy to figure out, be placed onto the main short (the reissues, where necessary, will be among the "alternate titles" you listed).

About the restored missing scenes and reconstructions of unfinished cartoons, I was absolutely thinking about those when compiling each set!
Mac  
#28 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 11:58:19 PM(UTC)
Mac

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 28 post(s)
It's true, fake titles better evoke the period of the orginals, but I hate the confusion that re-created titles create, especially when there are so many surprises to be found in original release prints. I guess a good compromise would be to include fake titles, but mention which ones in the booklet!

Also, a massive thank you to PopKorn Kat for posting the link to Erik's YouTube channel. What excellent research and generous sharing. I love how thorough the information is about what print the footage comes from etc. My favourite discoveries I've seen and heard on the page so far are 'Mickey's Steam-Roller' with the original music and 'Trick or Treat' with the animated title card and the more atmospheric feel as the camera pans from title to title (revealing more details in the background).
WaltWiz1901  
#29 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 2:36:51 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Mac Go to Quoted Post
It's true, fake titles better evoke the period of the orginals, but I hate the confusion that re-created titles create, especially when there are so many surprises to be found in original release prints. I guess a good compromise would be to include fake titles, but mention which ones in the booklet!

Also, a massive thank you to PopKorn Kat for posting the link to Erik's YouTube channel. What excellent research and generous sharing. I love how thorough the information is about what print the footage comes from etc. My favourite discoveries I've seen and heard on the page so far are 'Mickey's Steam-Roller' with the original music and 'Trick or Treat' with the animated title card and the more atmospheric feel as the camera pans from title to title (revealing more details in the background).

That, of course, would be a great compromise. (Another compromise would be to splice the existing original titles, like those that have been shared and recently found, onto the current scans in circulation at the studio, which are, predictably, taken from the more accessible reissue prints)

I can see why there's so much confusion about how accurate fake title sequences are. While making one may be fine for when the real original is lost and can otherwise be easily recreated, there are also many cases where the results turn out to be incredibly wrong, especially with the information that we have received in recent years and the carelessness of the current restoration team at the Walt Disney Company.
WaltWiz1901  
#30 Posted : Saturday, February 24, 2018 5:57:22 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

It's been quite some time since I "worked" on what to put on the Legacy Collection....maybe I should go back and continue finalizing the unfinished sets.

Apparently.....
-Whatever existing deleted scenes that were not included on the prints used for the Treasures restorations (and, in many cases, restored even further in 4K) will be bonuses on their respective shorts' sets)
-The alternate titles that Mac suggested I add will, obviously, be foreign release titles (example: Camping Out/Troubles), home movie prints, and (of course) reissue titles for whatever shorts exist with their original title sequences
-For cartoons that do not exist with original title sequences, the bulk of them will (to remain consistent with the ones that do) be recreated to a bigger extent than what was done for the 4K restorations and (for The Black & White Years) the LaserDisc and DVD sets of black-and-white Mickey shorts - whatever cannot be properly recreated will be left untouched, and the included booklets will indicate what shorts have these titles
-If a cartoon exists with its original opening, but had it recreated when restored to a 4K scan, the titles will be spliced into the current scans and cleaned up to match the quality of the main short
-New ideas for bonuses include vintage song/record recordings, reconstructed unfinished cartoons, and documentaries looking at characters and series in specific years and mediums (thank you, Mac, for coming up with these ideas)
-The posters, lithographs, and keepsakes for the (currently planned) fourth wave's animation sets (The Oswald Collection and Donald V3) haven't been considered - can any of you help out?
-The shorts that would go on Rarities have been decided, but not the bonuses and commentaries - does anyone here have some ideas for me?
-I'm considering shifting the order of when each set gets released; I have a feeling that with the way I currently have it at, the line would be dead only a couple of waves in
-The commentaries that Toonatic suggested for me will be included alongside the ones I decided to include; I forgot to edit my article to include them months ago
-Out of the ideas I originated, the Pluto, Alice, and Before Walt sets haven't been started yet - does anyone have ideas on what new bonuses could go on each one?
WaltWiz1901  
#31 Posted : Wednesday, March 7, 2018 5:09:57 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

So......I have indeed decided to move the order of each Blu-ray's release around.

-Wave 1 - B&W Mickey (same as former plan), Silly Symphonies
-Wave 2 - Donald V1 (having Goofy's set as the anchor for this wave wouldn't work as much as using Donald - the latter is more popular and way more marketable)
-Wave 3 - Color Mickey (same as former plan), Goofy
-Wave 4 - Donald V2, Oswald (same as former plan)
-Wave 5 - Donald V3, Rarities (same as former plan)
-Wave 6 - Pluto, Alice Comedies (same as former plan)
-Wave 7 - Before Walt (same as former plan), Live-Action Rarities (this isn't a real animated set, but it could serve as a companion to the more marketable and appealing animated Rarities)

Now, here's what I need help with:
-I completed what would go on the main program of the Pluto set, but aside from stuff lifted from the Treasures, I'm low on things to include that were not on either of his Treasures sets. What new bonuses should be included, and what shorts could feature audio commentaries?
-My mother is thinking of getting me a phone for my birthday, and when I do get one, I was just thinking about getting a DeviantArt account on it and making tentative covers for each set. What shorts should be represented on each animation set's cover? (Toonatic already gave me two ideas - The Black & White Years would have a scene from Steamboat Willie and The Color Collection would have a scene from The Band Concert)
-Are there any other bonus feature ideas for Rarities? At best, what posters, lithographs, and keepsakes should go into that set?
nickramer  
#32 Posted : Thursday, March 8, 2018 6:18:44 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Groups: Registered, Researcher

Was thanked: 188 time(s) in 154 post(s)
For Pluto, you could put in the Disneyland episode "Pluto's Day" (1956), although most of the cartoons featured in that episode would already be on the Blu-Ray. As for commentaries, what about ones for the two cartoons that Barks co-storyboard: "Bone Trouble" and "The Army Mascot"?

Edited by user Thursday, March 8, 2018 6:20:20 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked nickramer for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 3/8/2018(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#33 Posted : Thursday, March 8, 2018 10:22:55 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: nickramer Go to Quoted Post
For Pluto, you could put in the Disneyland episode "Pluto's Day" (1956), although most of the cartoons featured in that episode would already be on the Blu-Ray. As for commentaries, what about ones for the two cartoons that Barks co-storyboard: "Bone Trouble" and "The Army Mascot"?

Those both seem like good ideas to put on Pluto, as well as the episode "The Coyote's Lament" (he appears in that episode, according to a "what-if" article I pulled up recently).

However, I need help with what the covers (or SteelBooks) of each set would look like. Toonatic gave me two ideas for what Mickey's covers would be like (the first wave's black-and-white set would obviously represent Steamboat Willie, while the full-color set two waves in would represent The Band Concert), but I'm not sure on what the Donald, Goofy, Pluto, Oswald, and Rarities sets would feature on their covers (I'm leaning on using multiple cartoons for the Silly Symphony set's cover). What shorts - or any other thing, like comics or poster art - would each of those sets' covers represent (there's three volumes of Donald, so remember that when you come up with ideas)?
WaltWiz1901  
#34 Posted : Sunday, June 10, 2018 8:32:40 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Wow, it seems like there's nothing new about Disney shorts on Blu-ray (nope, the Peter Pan re-release, from what I've read, has no bonus cartoons). I really hope they announce something in the next couple of months.......

Anyways, here are some thoughts I had about the Legacy Collection recently:
-The collection could be expanded from four to six titles per wave; approximately two of them could be cartoon-related, one or two could have some stuff involving Walt Disney's television anthology series or another one of his shows, and two of them could be movies that were released around the time he was alive and are not part of the Signature Collection lineup
-There could be two versions of each set released; one could have just the SteelBook, lithographs, posters, and one of the other memorabilia pieces, and another could be a boxed set with not only all of that, but more memorabilia, a certificate of authenticity, and 4K UHD discs for some of the more popular titles
-I still can't figure out what shorts the following sets' packaging could represent; can any of you here help me out?
*The Chronological Donald Duck (volume one, 1937-1943)
*The Chronological Donald Duck (volume two, 1944-1950)
*The Chronological Donald Duck (volume three, 1951-1967)
*The Complete Goofy
*The Complete Pluto
*Before Mickey: The Oswald the Lucky Rabbit Collection
*Alice in Cartoonland: The Original Alice Comedies
Toonatic  
#35 Posted : Friday, June 15, 2018 6:50:00 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

United States

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 121 post(s)
Wow, it seems like there's nothing new about Disney shorts on Blu-ray (nope, the Peter Pan re-release, from what I've read, has no bonus cartoons). I really hope they announce something in the next couple of months.......

Me too. I mean, this is both Mickey's and the studio's 90th birthday, it's time.

I've also made a group to help get the shorts on DVD and Blu-ray:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2044548252469908/

That's not important though.

-The collection could be expanded from four to six titles per wave; approximately two of them could be cartoon-related, one or two could have some stuff involving Walt Disney's television anthology series or another one of his shows, and two of them could be movies that were released around the time he was alive and are not part of the Signature Collection lineup
-There could be two versions of each set released; one could have just the SteelBook, lithographs, posters, and one of the other memorabilia pieces, and another could be a boxed set with not only all of that, but more memorabilia, a certificate of authenticity, and 4K UHD discs for some of the more popular titles
-I still can't figure out what shorts the following sets' packaging could represent; can any of you here help me out?
*The Complete Goofy
*The Complete Pluto

I do it like this:

-The Donald Duck Collection Volume 1: 1937-1943
-The Donald Duck Collection Volume 2: 1944-1950
-The Donald Duck Collection Volume 3: 1951-1967
-Goofy: The Complete Collection
-Pluto: The Complete Collection
-Oswald: The Commemorative Edition

Alice should stay the same.

What's more:
-I really do feel the Legacy Collection should still have a DVD counterpart containing the shorts with the new restored and remastered transfers and a selection of the Blu-ray extras. I know you already explained to me, but still.
-When will Mary Poppins get an update (which again, mind you, should have 7.1 sound instead of 6.1. :P)
thanks 1 user thanked Toonatic for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 6/15/2018(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#36 Posted : Friday, June 15, 2018 8:32:32 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Toonatic Go to Quoted Post

Me too. I mean, this is both Mickey's and the studio's 90th birthday, it's time.

I've also made a group to help get the shorts on DVD and Blu-ray:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2044548252469908/

That's not important though.

*The Complete Goofy
*The Complete Pluto

I do it like this:

-The Donald Duck Collection Volume 1: 1937-1943
-The Donald Duck Collection Volume 2: 1944-1950
-The Donald Duck Collection Volume 3: 1951-1967
-Goofy: The Complete Collection
-Pluto: The Complete Collection
-Oswald: The Commemorative Edition

Alice should stay the same.

What's more:
-I really do feel the Legacy Collection should still have a DVD counterpart containing the shorts with the new restored and remastered transfers and a selection of the Blu-ray extras. I know you already explained to me, but still.
-When will Mary Poppins get an update (which again, mind you, should have 7.1 sound instead of 6.1. :P)

Those new titles sound good to me! The question is, what specific shorts could some of the front covers represent? (You said before that Mickey's covers would have elements from Steamboat Willie (black-and-white) and The Band Concert (color))

Although having DVD versions wouldn't hurt, I would rather re-release most of the Treasures (sans tin and certificate of authenticity) than release a more bare-bones version. Yes, all of them were released as limited editions, but releasing them again without the more special components would be a good alternative for people who both don't have a Blu-ray player and or missed out on the Treasures the first go-round.

And about Mary Poppins' 7.1 track........I almost completely forgot about it. I'll get down to editing it soon.
Toonatic  
#37 Posted : Friday, June 15, 2018 11:04:04 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

United States

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 121 post(s)
Well for Donald, I go with this order:

-Volume 1: Standard Outfit
-Volume 2: WWII/Army Outfit
-Volume 3: Donald's Diary attire (albeit in red)
-Goofy: tie between Standard Outfit and Goofy and Wilbur attire
-Pluto: Standard
-Oswald: Standard
-Alice: ?

Do what you want for the DVD releases, it's your project and I won't interfere, but my suggestion still stands. But like I said, your project.
thanks 1 user thanked Toonatic for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 6/15/2018(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#38 Posted : Saturday, June 16, 2018 12:01:53 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Toonatic Go to Quoted Post
Well for Donald, I go with this order:

-Volume 1: Standard Outfit
-Volume 2: WWII/Army Outfit
-Volume 3: Donald's Diary attire (albeit in red)
-Goofy: tie between Standard Outfit and Goofy and Wilbur attire
-Pluto: Standard
-Oswald: Standard
-Alice: ?

Do what you want for the DVD releases, it's your project and I won't interfere, but my suggestion still stands. But like I said, your project.

Nice cover ideas, but it still needs some work. Here's what I was thinking of doing:
-Donald Volume 1: I'm still not sure what I could do for this volume's cover, or what short it could resemble
-Donald Volume 2: Donald squaring off against Chip and Dale (as much as I like having him in an army outfit, there's only one wartime short on volume 2: Commando Duck. Most of the other cartoons are on the first volume, and also on a special wartime set; maybe we could use the army outfit Donald on the latter's cover?)
-Donald Volume 3: Donald's Diary (same as your idea)
-Goofy: various different scenes of Goofy doing different sports
-Pluto: again, not yet sure what cartoon his front cover could resemble a scene from
-Oswald: I'm pretty sure using a design similar to one of his promotional posters, as opposed to one of his shorts, would work for once

Still, about the DVDs, my idea (nearly) still stands; anything that has been covered on DVD already on the Treasures will be reissued that way as part of that label. The only things that will have a DVD version here will be stuff that haven't been looked over in the Treasures series. What do you think about my cover ideas? What could the other two covers look like (look above if you don't get what I meant)?
WaltWiz1901  
#39 Posted : Sunday, June 17, 2018 12:03:45 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Okay, here's what the front covers for all of the animated Legacy Collection sets will look like. I think I figured out what the covers for some of the titles I couldn't decide on will look like; anyways, thank you, Toonatic, for coming up with some of them:
-Mickey Mouse: The Black & White Years: A scene from Steamboat Willie (we can all guess which one)
-Mickey Mouse: The Color Collection: A scene from The Band Concert
-The Donald Duck Collection: Donald with Daisy and his nephews
-The Donald Duck Collection: Volume Two: Donald, Chip, and Dale squaring off
-The Donald Duck Collection: Volume Three: A scene from Donald's Diary
-The Complete Goofy: Goofy doing various different sports
-The Complete Pluto: Mickey and Pluto playing together
-Silly Symphonies: A collage of most of the characters from the shorts included inside
-Walt Disney on the Home Front: Donald in an army outfit and Pete barking him orders
-Oswald the Lucky Rabbit: The Commemorative Edition: Something similar to this poster
-Walt Disney Rarities: Same as the Silly Symphony set, but with different characters
-Alice in Cartoonland: The Original Alice Comedies: Something similar to this poster

What does anyone think?