Walt Disney Legacy Collection: Project brainstorming - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Poll Question : Which animation-related sets would you be excited for if they were released?
Choice Votes Statistics
  Mickey Mouse: The Black & White Years
36 %
  Mickey Mouse: The Color Collection
0 %
  The Chronological Donald Duck (three volumes)
18 %
  The Complete Goofy
0 %
  The Complete Pluto
0 %
  Silly Symphonies
0 %
  The Oswald the Lucky Rabbit Collection
0 %
  Walt Disney Rarities
0 %
  Alice in Cartoonland
0 %
  All of the above
45 %
  Total 11 100%
Guests can't vote. Try login or register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WaltWiz1901  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 25, 2017 11:22:53 PM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 54 post(s)
Before I start this thread, I should note that this is my first post on this forum. I have a huge interest in researching classic animation, and I was looking into joining for quite some time now.

Anyways, I thought that with the discussion about releasing the Disney shorts on Blu-ray, this would be an appropriate place for me to share with you my idea for that - the Walt Disney Legacy Collection.Mickey Mouse Donald Duck Goofy Minnie Mouse Oswald the Rabbit

I had made an article on a wiki about this, so I thought this topic would be the place to talk more about it. One thing I wanted to do was release the series on Blu-ray, with many improvements over the Walt Disney Treasures, which was the inspiration for my idea (original titles restored or recreated (more accurately) as possible, audio commentaries for shorts that deserve one that haven't yet, and more rare material being released for the first time). Additionally, the bulk of the shorts will be restored in high-definition, derived from 4K scans of the original negatives or newly restored by Steve Stanchfield. These are the sets I have considered releasing in the collection centered around shorts and classic animation:

-Mickey Mouse: The Black & White Years
-Mickey Mouse: The Color Collection
-The Chronological Donald Duck (volumes 1-3)
-The Complete Goofy
-The Complete Pluto
-Silly Symphonies
-Before Mickey: The Oswald the Lucky Rabbit Collection
-Alice in Cartoonland: The Original Alice Comedies
-Walt Disney Rarities
-Before Walt
-Song of the South
-South of the Border

Each one will be packaged in a SteelBook, coming with a booklet with liner notes about the content, two lithographs, two posters, and three other pieces relating to the set's topic.

What does anyone think? What would you like to see in these sets? Which one would you want to buy the most?
Toonatic  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 27, 2017 1:30:58 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

Groups: Registered, Researcher
United States

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 138 post(s)
I gotta say, I love it! :D

I would definitely buy the cartoon sets (for both formats).

Though I would add some things:

Mickey Mouse: The Black & White Years:
-Get A Horse (with opitional commentary by Lauren MacMullan, Dorothy McKim, Eric Goldberg, Adam Green, and Jerry Beck)
-Mickey and The Goat Man

The Chronological Donald Duck - Volume Two:
-Optional audio commentary on Clown of The Jungle with Jerry Beck

Anyway, fantastic job once again!
thanks 1 user thanked Toonatic for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 11/27/2017(UTC)
PopKorn Kat  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 27, 2017 1:38:58 AM(UTC)
PopKorn Kat

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Administrators, Moderator, Beta Tester
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 265 time(s) in 197 post(s)
I'm still reading through these as of this writing, but I like what I see! I’d snatch up the Donald sets in a heartbeat as Volume 2 of Donald’s Disney Treasures run was horribly butchered by relying on old, oversaturated VHS masters (save for the shorts restored for the On the Front Lines set).

Unfortunately, Disney themselves haven’t exactly been the best with restorations because they alter colors and end up removing film grain, so I feel Steve Stanchfield should handle the restoration side of things.

Will your hypothetical Oswald set contain the recently discovered shorts, such as “Poor Papa,” “Hungry Hobos,” and “Africa Before Dark”?

Edited by user Monday, November 27, 2017 1:40:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked PopKorn Kat for this useful post.
LuckyToon  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 27, 2017 3:22:45 AM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
I wonder if this time The Chronological Donald Duck would include the spin-offs featuring Chip N Dale, since I do enjoy those 3 cartoons as much as Donald's.

And the sets should also include the educational Goofy and Donald cartoons from the 60's, as well as more rarities that were not on the Treasure sets. Oh, and at least give the Jiminy Cricket shorts from the Mickey Mouse Club and the Ludwig Von Drake episodes from The Wonderful World of Color their own DVD releases too.
thanks 1 user thanked LuckyToon for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 27, 2017 5:22:44 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Toonatic Go to Quoted Post
I gotta say, I love it! :D

I would definitely buy the cartoon sets (for both formats).

Though I would add some things:

Mickey Mouse: The Black & White Years:
-Get A Horse (with opitional commentary by Lauren MacMullan, Dorothy McKim, Eric Goldberg, Adam Green, and Jerry Beck)
-Mickey and The Goat Man

The Chronological Donald Duck - Volume Two:
-Optional audio commentary on Clown of The Jungle with Jerry Beck

Anyway, fantastic job once again!

Get a Horse! was already released on the Walt Disney Animation Studios Short Films Collection, which was loosely targeted at the same demographic as these sets. I had initially planned it to be in the set, but nixed it because of that and how off it would be among the dominant amount of entirely black-and-white shorts (the short switches to three-dimensional color animation halfway in). I ironically decided to put How to Hook Up Your Home Theater on The Complete Goofy for different reasons despite that short being on both the Short Films Collection and the first Have a Laugh! DVD; you can't have a "complete Goofy" without it.

Anyways, good commentary idea! I had completely no idea about that when I was thinking of what to put on the Donald set.
WaltWiz1901  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 27, 2017 5:48:52 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: LuckyToon Go to Quoted Post
I wonder if this time The Chronological Donald Duck would include the spin-offs featuring Chip N Dale, since I do enjoy those 3 cartoons as much as Donald's.

And the sets should also include the educational Goofy and Donald cartoons from the 60's, as well as more rarities that were not on the Treasure sets. Oh, and at least give the Jiminy Cricket shorts from the Mickey Mouse Club and the Ludwig Von Drake episodes from The Wonderful World of Color their own DVD releases too.

1. The solo Chip n' Dale shorts will be on the Rarities set. They would've gone great with the Donald set (the third volume in particular, since all three of those cartoons were released during the period that volume covers), but I thought placing them, the Figaro shorts, the Humphrey shorts, and the Winnie the Pooh featurettes on Rarities would help give it some "star power" to boost sales (I, similarly, decided to release Mickey B&W, Donald Volume 1, and Song of the South in the first wave to see how well they would sell to benefit the rest of the line, since they are some of the most requested titles).

2. Those will be released on DVD, but as part of the Walt Disney Treasures (if The Simpsons season sets could continue after three years in hiatus, why can't the Treasures?). This collection will also feature the Jiminy Cricket shorts and Von Drake episodes, but on Blu-ray only (the entire collection will be exclusive to Blu-ray, which would avoid the issue of having no (valuable) bonus material at all on DVD); I had already been thinking about releasing those on both collections!
thanks 1 user thanked WaltWiz1901 for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 11/27/2017(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 27, 2017 6:05:31 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat Go to Quoted Post
I'm still reading through these as of this writing, but I like what I see! I’d snatch up the Donald sets in a heartbeat as Volume 2 of Donald’s Disney Treasures run was horribly butchered by relying on old, oversaturated VHS masters (save for the shorts restored for the On the Front Lines set).

Unfortunately, Disney themselves haven’t exactly been the best with restorations because they alter colors and end up removing film grain, so I feel Steve Stanchfield should handle the restoration side of things.

Will your hypothetical Oswald set contain the recently discovered shorts, such as “Poor Papa,” “Hungry Hobos,” and “Africa Before Dark”?

It will! (since Hungry Hobos was unfortunately trapped on the digital copy of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and not on the Blu-ray and DVD versions, it would be great to finally have it on physical media for the first time)

I also agree with you on using Steve Stanchfield to restore some of the shorts and original titles to those which have been restored already, as he has done an excellent job on the Blu-rays he's released (he could do an excellent job with the shorts Disney hasn't made 4K scans of, as well as putting back in or recreating the original titles to those that, with some reliable research, could be recreated in such a convincing manner that you could barely tell it wasn't a true original!).

What other bonus features could be considered for the sets that I haven't considered to think of yet? What other shorts should feature commentaries and who (else) would be featured on those commentaries?

Edited by user Monday, November 27, 2017 6:07:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

PopKorn Kat on 11/27/2017(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 27, 2017 10:16:42 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

I've been working a bit on the booklet for one of the titles (that would be Mickey Mouse: The Black & White Years, not surprisingly, since I'm finding it the most interesting to work on), but some thoughts came to me:

1. On the shorts that I have already decided to put in some sets, which other ones could have an audio commentary and who would provide it? (I'm not talking about the ones that I already decided to give commentaries, I'm talking about ones that haven't been given one, but would be worthy to feature one - thank you, Toonatic, for suggesting Clown of the Jungle as one of those!)
2. The Treasures tins had a picture from one of the things inside, like a scene from one of the shorts/episodes included, poster art, promotional artwork, entirely new artwork, etc., on the front cover. What such things could be on the Legacy Collection SteelBooks? If possible, would the cover benefit from having said picture cover the entire front as opposed to being inside a square in the center of the SteelBook? (I already figured out what color the square or cover would be, so I don't need to ask that)
3. For bonus features, what else aside from those I decided on could I include on each set?
4. If there were to be Easter eggs hidden throughout the menus, what could be some of those?
5. What other replicas (artwork (lithographs and posters) and things like those you would find in a Robert Tieman Disney Treasures book, if you know what I mean) should I place inside some of the sets?

I was thinking of what else I could do to enhance my ideas, so your ideas could be appreciated.
Toonatic  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 28, 2017 9:38:33 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

United States

Originally Posted by: WaltWiz1901 Go to Quoted Post
thank you, Toonatic, for suggesting Clown of the Jungle as one of those!)

Much oblige. ^_^

2. The Treasures tins had a picture from one of the things inside, like a scene from one of the shorts/episodes included, poster art, promotional artwork, entirely new artwork, etc., on the front cover. What such things could be on the Legacy Collection SteelBooks? If possible, would the cover benefit from having said picture cover the entire front as opposed to being inside a square in the center of the SteelBook? (I already figured out what color the square or cover would be, so I don't need to ask that)

Well I would make, in the very least for the cartoon releases, in the style of the Signature covers featuring one character on the left or right side of the cover. To be a little specific for Mickey, Steamboat Willie Mickey for the Black and White Collection and The Band Concert Mickey for the Color Collection.

3. For bonus features, what else aside from those I decided on could I include on each set?

Well for the Oswald set, I was thinking of:

-"From Walt to Lantz: The Evolution of Oswald" a look at the 3 men (Walt Disney, Robert Winkler, and Walter Lantz) and their own take on Oswald
-"Oswald: The Walter Lantz Years" 5 Oswald shorts by Walter Lantz (all in the Public Domain and restored and remastered): Mechanical Man, Making Good, The Plumber, The Quail Hunt, and Beach Combers
-Alternate music soundtrack for Trolley Troubles
-Lantz reissue soundtrack options for The Ocean Hop and The Mechanical Cow
-"Oswald Comes Home" 2007 featurette
-2013 Oswald Holiday Greeting Card
-Bonus Mickey Mouse (2013) short: Canned
WaltWiz1901  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 28, 2017 10:37:53 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

thank you, Toonatic, for suggesting Clown of the Jungle as one of those!)

Much oblige. ^_^

Well I would make, in the very least for the cartoon releases, in the style of the Signature covers featuring one character on the left or right side of the cover. To be a little specific for Mickey, Steamboat Willie Mickey for the Black and White Collection and The Band Concert Mickey for the Color Collection.

Well for the Oswald set, I was thinking of:

-"From Walt to Lantz: The Evolution of Oswald" a look at the 3 men (Walt Disney, Robert Winkler, and Walter Lantz) and their own take on Oswald
-"Oswald: The Walter Lantz Years" 5 Oswald shorts by Walter Lantz (all in the Public Domain and restored and remastered): Mechanical Man, Making Good, The Plumber, The Quail Hunt, and Beach Combers
-Alternate music soundtrack for Trolley Troubles
-Lantz reissue soundtrack options for The Ocean Hop and The Mechanical Cow
-"Oswald Comes Home" 2007 featurette
-2013 Oswald Holiday Greeting Card
-Bonus Mickey Mouse (2013) short: Canned

1. Your idea for the animation sets' covers sounds awesome; not only would they stand out when compared to the Treasures, but they also remind me a bit about things like the Criterion Collection. (I also approve of using Mickey in Steamboat Willie on The Black & White Years cover and The Band Concert on The Color Collection cover; pretty clever idea!)
2. Excellent bonus feature ideas for The Oswald Collection! Now why didn't I get back to thinking of more bonuses for that set?

Now, can anyone help me with the rest of the questions?
1. What other shorts can have audio commentaries (aside from the ones I chose, of course) and who would provide them?
2. If the sets were to have Easter eggs hidden in the menus, which ones could there be?
3. What other lithographs, posters, and replicas could each set have (aside from the ones I thought of)?
Toonatic on 11/29/2017(UTC)
Toonatic  
#11 Posted : Thursday, November 30, 2017 11:18:16 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

United States

Some ideas for commentaries:

-Duck Pimples with John Kricfalusi (provided he likes 40's Disney shorts)
-The Nifty Nineties with Leonard Maltin
-The Little Whirlwind with J.B. Kaufman
-Mickey's Birthday Party with Leonard Maltin and Jerry Beck
-Mickey and The Seal with Jerry Beck
-The Simple Things with Leonard Maltin and Jerry Beck
-The Prince and The Pauper with George Scribner, Roger Allers, Burny Mattinson, and Bill Farmer
-Donald's Diary with J.B Kaufman
-How to Have an Accident at Work with Leonard Maltin
-How To Sleep with Mark Kausler
-Tummy Trouble with Rob Minkoff, Frank Marshall, Gary K. Wolf, and Charles Fleischer
-Vincent with Tim Burton
-Fun with Mr. Future with Darrell Van Citters

Also one change, it would make sense for your Mary Poppins release to have a 7.1 soundtrack like the 50th anniversary did. ;) PS. Looking forward to what else you plan to add there.
Blob55  
#12 Posted : Thursday, November 30, 2017 7:59:56 PM(UTC)
Blob55

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I think the BW Mickey cartoons should be released with their proper titles and intros, as well as "Just Mickey" getting retitled to "Fiddling Around".
thanks 1 user thanked Blob55 for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 12/1/2017(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#13 Posted : Friday, December 1, 2017 2:19:42 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Some ideas for commentaries:

-Duck Pimples with John Kricfalusi (provided he likes 40's Disney shorts)
-The Nifty Nineties with Leonard Maltin
-The Little Whirlwind with J.B. Kaufman
-Mickey's Birthday Party with Leonard Maltin and Jerry Beck
-Mickey and The Seal with Jerry Beck
-The Simple Things with Leonard Maltin and Jerry Beck
-The Prince and The Pauper with George Scribner, Roger Allers, Burny Mattinson, and Bill Farmer
-Donald's Diary with J.B Kaufman
-How to Have an Accident at Work with Leonard Maltin
-How To Sleep with Mark Kausler
-Tummy Trouble with Rob Minkoff, Frank Marshall, Gary K. Wolf, and Charles Fleischer
-Vincent with Tim Burton
-Fun with Mr. Future with Darrell Van Citters

Also one change, it would make sense for your Mary Poppins release to have a 7.1 soundtrack like the 50th anniversary did. ;) PS. Looking forward to what else you plan to add there.

First off, all of the commentary ideas you listed are great. I didn't think of those when I was compiling those sets, but now I will. (Hearing John Kricfalusi do a commentary on Duck Pimples does sound interesting, though.....)

I had forgotten that the Mary Poppins Blu-ray came with a 7.1 soundtrack. I had originally thought it had a "plain" 5.1 soundtrack, but I did know it didn't have the original theatrical audio (which was three-track(?) stereo-surround, which was represented on DVD as a standard 2.0 track as opposed to my idea's 3.0).
WaltWiz1901  
#14 Posted : Friday, December 1, 2017 2:57:17 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Blob55 Go to Quoted Post
I think the BW Mickey cartoons should be released with their proper titles and intros, as well as "Just Mickey" getting retitled to "Fiddling Around".

That is exactly what will be done on The Black & White Years. After all of the mistakes the various releases of those shorts made, it's time to use the original titles, recreate the ones that haven't been found yet more accurately, and, yes, fix the "retitled" issue. (Is it just me, or would both Steve Stanchfield and YouTuber CDCB2 be able to do some legit recreations?)

As for the aspect ratios (I have heard that some have been (mostly mildly) cropped), the 1920-1930 shorts should be in a letterboxed 1.20:1, the 1930-1932 shorts (and any television content aside from those filmed in widescreen) should be in 1.33:1, and most shorts from 1932-1978 should be in 1.37:1 (the shorts filmed or screened in wider aspect ratios, like 1.66:1/1.78:1 and CinemaScope, can remain).
The audio could also vary as well (I didn't list either when making the articles for most of the first four waves; new stereo soundtracks could be used for silents, the 1928-1974 shorts can remain mono, the 1978-1990 shorts can remain stereo, and the CinemaScope and 1990-2008 shorts should be approximately 5.1-7.1.

What (other) collectible lithographs, posters, and replicas could be included packed in with the sets?
zurk  
#15 Posted : Monday, December 4, 2017 10:03:26 AM(UTC)
zurk

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

1. What other shorts can have audio commentaries (aside from the ones I chose, of course) and who would provide them?
2. If the sets were to have Easter eggs hidden in the menus, which ones could there be?
3. What other lithographs, posters, and replicas could each set have (aside from the ones I thought of)?

Well, as for the Easter eggs, maybe something like clickable Mickey Mouse ears as a nod to the "hidden Mickeys" scattered throughout the Disney parks.

Edited by user Monday, December 4, 2017 10:03:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

WaltWiz1901  
#16 Posted : Monday, December 4, 2017 10:12:54 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: zurk Go to Quoted Post

Well, as for the Easter eggs, maybe something like clickable Mickey Mouse ears as a nod to the "hidden Mickeys" scattered throughout the Disney parks.

Those graphics are fine for the Mickey sets, as they would fit in with the theme of those discs (which are filled with a lot of his cartoons).

What bonus material could be hidden behind them, however?
Bradskey  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, December 6, 2017 3:53:13 AM(UTC)
Bradskey

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Not to nitpick but Disney used the "Legacy Collection" 10 years ago for a series of True Life Adventures nature shorts released on DVD. Wouldn't necessarily preclude using it here, its just not new.
WaltWiz1901  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, December 6, 2017 5:02:33 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Bradskey Go to Quoted Post
Not to nitpick but Disney used the "Legacy Collection" 10 years ago for a series of True Life Adventures nature shorts released on DVD. Wouldn't necessarily preclude using it here, its just not new.

The full name for the previous series was Walt Disney's Legacy Collection. Although you're not wrong (the "'s" is the only thing that differentiates the names of the collections), the purpose of and the content on the Blu-rays are more extensive and different than the DVD Legacy Collection (which was a test to see if the "True-Life Adventures" were worthy of a release on the level of a Walt Disney Treasures set). With the original animated shorts and multiple live-action material made during Walt's life virtually unavailable nowadays, I thought the name would stick for a successor of the Treasures because it had the right ring to it.

Back to ideas, what bonus material could be hidden in menus as Easter eggs?
PopKorn Kat  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, December 6, 2017 5:38:14 AM(UTC)
PopKorn Kat

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Administrators, Moderator, Beta Tester
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 265 time(s) in 197 post(s)

How about production art from the numerous animated shorts?
WaltWiz1901  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, December 6, 2017 5:45:16 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat Go to Quoted Post

How about production art from the numerous animated shorts?

Those will, obviously, be placed on the galleries for each related set. I was thinking about extra video or audio footage that would not be accessible from the menus or aren't on the included booklet, but are included on the discs anyway.
PopKorn Kat on 12/6/2017(UTC)