Kino/MGM announces The Pink PantherCartoon Collection- Page 3 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Toonatic  
#41 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2018 6:08:50 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

Groups: Registered, Researcher
United States

Was thanked: 182 time(s) in 135 post(s)
All I can tell you is that one of the comments was by Hope Freleng Shaw who thinks Kino is looking into the problem.

But if you want my advice, make corrected discs exclusively for the box set, that way it will warrant more sales for the set.

Anyway, Volume 3 coming at ya September 18th!:

http://forum.blu-ray.com...4018&postcount=22565
thanks 2 users thanked Toonatic for this useful post.
VoiceTalentBrendan on 7/20/2018(UTC), TibbyH on 7/21/2018(UTC)
Mark The Shark  
#42 Posted : Saturday, July 21, 2018 10:42:32 AM(UTC)
Mark The Shark

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TibbyH Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Toonatic Go to Quoted Post
Volume 2 is now available and...there's already something wrong; the original version of Pink Outs has a laugh track. >:(

The Kino Lorber website mentions one of the bonus features is the TV version of Pink Outs. Is that the only version present in the collection?

While it is listed as "TV version," it really isn't, exactly.

The actual "TV version" of "Pink Outs" would be the original cartoon with a laugh track -- in other words, essentially the same as the "regular version" on the new disc (except it would have had TV titles).

What they are presenting as a "TV version" is actually a compilation of bumpers from the Pink Panther Show using scenes from "Pink Outs" (this is explained in the introduction on the disc). Unlike other cartoons which had segments "repurposed" as TV bumpers, in this case just about every scene in the cartoon was reused this way. So it's a novelty to have them presented in a reassembled form. I think the only difference from the original bumpers is they redubbed the audio of these segments over a nice restored version of the original cartoon (but note the occasional quick fade-in and fade-out between segments). Even on the current syndicated Pink Panther Show, most of the various bumpers look to be sourced from 16mm film prints, but the ones from "Pink Outs" seem to be in much better shape.

I am pleasantly surprised to see some of the TV show segments getting an official video release for the first time, as far as I know. I hope more will follow.
thanks 2 users thanked Mark The Shark for this useful post.
TibbyH on 7/21/2018(UTC), Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead on 7/24/2018(UTC)
Toonatic  
#43 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2018 12:16:15 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

United States

But you don't seem to understand, the theatrical version of Pink Outs never had a laugh track and was never supposed to. Even on the MGM DVD the short was laugh-track free.
thanks 1 user thanked Toonatic for this useful post.
Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead on 7/24/2018(UTC)
Mesterius  
#44 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2018 2:12:27 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 35 post(s)
All I can tell you is that one of the comments was by Hope Freleng Shaw who thinks Kino is looking into the problem.

But if you want my advice, make corrected discs exclusively for the box set, that way it will warrant more sales for the set.

Uhhh... really? So the people who choose to invest in the separate release of Volume 2 should just buy everything over again -- IF this collected box set happens at all? I think replacement discs correcting the problem immediately would be a much better solution.
thanks 2 users thanked Mesterius for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 7/23/2018(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 7/23/2018(UTC)
Toonatic  
#45 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2018 9:53:35 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

United States

It was stated a box set with all 6 volumes IS going to happen. But in this fan's humble opinion, we should have whatever needs to corrected for the set because if Kino isn't going to make replacements, the best case scenario at this point is to make corrected discs exclusively for the box set (and there have been times when studios did that before for example, the Halloween 35th anniversary edition received the REAL unaltered Mono track for the Complete Collection sets, in lossless, and had an additional commentary to boot).
Mesterius  
#46 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2018 4:50:20 PM(UTC)
Mesterius

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 35 post(s)
It was stated a box set with all 6 volumes IS going to happen. But in this fan's humble opinion, we should have whatever needs to corrected for the set because if Kino isn't going to make replacements, the best case scenario at this point is to make corrected discs exclusively for the box set (and there have been times when studios did that before for example, the Halloween 35th anniversary edition received the REAL unaltered Mono track for the Complete Collection sets, in lossless, and had an additional commentary to boot).

Where has it been stated that the box set will definitely happen? I think the last time I visited the Depatie-Freleng Facebook group, I saw a comment from someone involved with the sets (maybe Mark Arnold) saying that the sales for each separate volume still determines whether there will BE a next volume. I can't find it now -- but I'm pretty sure it was in the Volume 2 discussion thread that has now been deleted, for whatever reason. From that perspective, it feels hard to believe that a collected box set is already a given.

In any case, I don't think forcing people to buy everything over again for maybe 5% fixed or additional content is a particularly fair or good solution. I do think getting corrections in a collected box set is better than nothing, but STILL...

Edited by user Monday, July 23, 2018 5:52:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Mesterius for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 7/24/2018(UTC)
Mark The Shark  
#47 Posted : Thursday, July 26, 2018 12:12:30 AM(UTC)
Mark The Shark

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 9 post(s)
But you don't seem to understand, the theatrical version of Pink Outs never had a laugh track and was never supposed to. Even on the MGM DVD the short was laugh-track free.

Right. The laugh track would have been added for TV. So now, decades after the fact, M-G-M has all these picture elements and soundtrack elements, and in putting them together, sometimes they goof. This is why some cartoons have a laugh track on some releases and not others.

The bumpers would not have been shown back to back like that, to the point where they comprise an entire cartoon. They were maybe a minute each, in between cartoons on the Saturday morning Pink Panther show. Some used cartoon clips and others were specifically produced for the TV show.

But it's cool that they reassembled it that way. It certainly is interesting to see.

So essentially there are really three versions of "Pink Outs":

(1) Original theatrical version

(2) TV version with laugh track

(3) Reassembled bumpers version on the new disc

...and (2) had variations as well, with short TV titles, or with the original theatrical titles.

I can see how this stuff gets confused, especially decades later.

Edited by user Thursday, July 26, 2018 12:19:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Mark The Shark for this useful post.
VoiceTalentBrendan on 7/26/2018(UTC)
TibbyH  
#48 Posted : Thursday, July 26, 2018 5:16:53 AM(UTC)
TibbyH

United States

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Kino Lorber has recently announced "The DePatie/Freleng Collection Vol. 2", a six-disc repackaging of the last four DFE Blu-ray/DVD releases as well as the Crazy Legs Crane TV cartoons.

The set will be released on September 25th. https://www.facebook.com...s/posts/1866756480047917