Kino/MGM announces The Pink PantherCartoon Collection- Page 4 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
4 Pages«<234
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TibbyH  
#61 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2018 11:56:59 AM(UTC)
TibbyH

Groups: Registered, Researcher
United States

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 54 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bort Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: nickramer Go to Quoted Post
A rather nice surprise there. And no costly disc replacement service required.

The theatrical version of "Pink Outs" on Volume 3 is unrestored (there are lots of lines and other noise on the image), so it doesn't look as nice as the other cartoons, but that might actually be a good thing...

I'm watching the other cartoons on the disc now and I noticed that Kino Lorber's excessive use of automatic DNR has ruined "The Pink Quarterback". In that cartoon, Pink's co-star is a quarter (as in, the coin), but Kino's software thinks the coin is noise and erased it from a bunch of frames! The old MGM DVDs are fine.

The same issue exists in the DePatie-Freleng Collection sets. The Blue Racer short "Yokahama Mama" has the same problem as featured in Pink Quarterback.

I still think Greg Ford and his team did an excellent job remastering these otherwise forgotten and unloved cartoons, but the DNR thing is a drawback. I really don't wanna seem defensive, but I cannot stress how much better these Blu-rays are than the unrestored laugh track heavy MGM DVDs (even with the DVR problem, which mind you is an issue).

Edited by user Sunday, November 11, 2018 12:06:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mesterius  
#62 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2018 12:42:25 PM(UTC)
Mesterius

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 172 time(s) in 79 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TibbyH Go to Quoted Post

The theatrical version of "Pink Outs" on Volume 3 is unrestored (there are lots of lines and other noise on the image), so it doesn't look as nice as the other cartoons, but that might actually be a good thing...

I'm watching the other cartoons on the disc now and I noticed that Kino Lorber's excessive use of automatic DNR has ruined "The Pink Quarterback". In that cartoon, Pink's co-star is a quarter (as in, the coin), but Kino's software thinks the coin is noise and erased it from a bunch of frames! The old MGM DVDs are fine.

The same issue exists in the DePatie-Freleng Collection sets. The Blue Racer short "Yokahama Mama" has the same problem as featured in Pink Quarterback.

I still think Greg Ford and his team did an excellent job remastering these otherwise forgotten and unloved cartoons, but the DNR thing is a drawback. I really don't wanna seem defensive, but I cannot stress how much better these Blu-rays are than the unrestored laugh track heavy MGM DVDs (even with the DVR problem, which mind you is an issue).

Well, damn... I looked at bort's comparison just now, and that looks absolutely terrible.

DVD

Blu-ray

One of my favorite Panther toons ruined by DNR. Maybe not buy that volume then...

But why are they using DNR on auto-pilot to begin with? If they use it at all, they need to go back in and turn it off where it's actually doing damage instead of cleaning up.
TibbyH  
#63 Posted : Sunday, December 9, 2018 11:44:48 AM(UTC)
TibbyH

United States

Hello everyone! So I've been going through the first two volumes of the Kino Pink Panther sets and the goods news is they do not suffer from the DNR issues plagued by Volume 3.

There's a lot of great positive additions no one has mentioned yet like the fact all cartoons have their original title themes and don't have problems the MGM DVD had. So cartoons like "We Give Pink Stamps" and "The Pink Blueprint" sound like they did on their original theatrical release. Or even the fact that Super Pink has its original sound design intact and doesn't replace gun shots like in the MGM disc.

It confuses me why Volume 3 in particular seems to have extremely bad video noise issues. Previous sets had their slight hindrances, but this was something else. I can only hope Volume 4 doesn't share the same issue (fingers crossed the Pink Streaker titles will be intact)
thanks 1 user thanked TibbyH for this useful post.
Toonatic on 12/10/2018(UTC)
TibbyH  
#64 Posted : Sunday, December 9, 2018 11:59:30 AM(UTC)
TibbyH

United States

The print for "Pink Outs" used in Volume 2 was in pretty poor shape with the screen almost completely covered in film scratches. Are you sure it's not just the same print reused for Volume 3 because it has all the issues you bring up.

Edited by user Sunday, December 9, 2018 12:01:32 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Toonatic  
#65 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2018 4:40:29 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

United States

Was thanked: 228 time(s) in 165 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TibbyH Go to Quoted Post
It confuses me why Volume 3 in particular seems to have extremely bad video noise issues. Previous sets had their slight hindrances, but this was something else. I can only hope Volume 4 doesn't share the same issue (fingers crossed the Pink Streaker titles will be intact)

*ahem*
http://www.intanibase.co...oon-Collection#post24994 ;)

But yeah, maybe we should tell Kino or someone to easy up on the DNR or don't use any at all?
thanks 1 user thanked Toonatic for this useful post.
TibbyH on 12/10/2018(UTC)