The Actual Fate of the Pre-1951 MGM Cartoon Negatives- Page 2 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SuperMuppet64  
#21 Posted : Friday, November 17, 2017 4:16:38 AM(UTC)
SuperMuppet64

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 21 post(s)
steve's print of mouse cleaning is anything but dark. it's very bright and vivid
i think something that should be noted is that film color timing (is that what it is?) probably wasnt always consistent back then. i dont know but ive seen two different ib tech prints of texas tom. steve's print has a much warmer bluer tom but another print that's shown up on youtube has grey colors closer to the turner version.
thanks 1 user thanked SuperMuppet64 for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 11/17/2017(UTC)
User is suspended until 6/14/2292 4:56:53 PM(UTC) LuckyToon  
#22 Posted : Friday, November 17, 2017 6:15:53 AM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Cool_Cat Go to Quoted Post
The Turner versions were also taken from good material, but in some cases they have a very poor color correction, like for an example the color balance on Sleepy Time Tom being way too blue.

Many of the Turner prints of the post-1945 T&J cartoons (along with The Midnight Snack and Puss 'n' Toots) are blue.
Zachary  
#23 Posted : Friday, November 17, 2017 5:02:46 PM(UTC)
Zachary

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Beta Tester
United States

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jason Todd Go to Quoted Post
Also, aside from the recreated '60s title card used in the Golden Collection print of Puss Gets the Boot abruptly cutting to the credit sequence, did anyone else notice a slight jump splice in the scene where Tom (Jasper) prances after Jerry (just before using the ink jar to fool the mouse into thinking he's running into his mouse hole)? Though the restoration looks nothing short of amazing, it should be noted that Warner chose a pretty splicey print to work with, which is unfortunate.

I disagree on it looking "nothing short of amazing". Compare the opening titles to the titles of other MGM cartoons of the period that have been available in masters from good prints, which are a brilliant blue color, and also note how dark the floor is in places, even to the point of blackness. It's an improvement over the print used for the old Turner TV master (aside from the replaced opening card), but it still belongs in the same category as the other inferior elements on the set.

By the way, I've seen Jerry Beck cite the 1978 George Eastman House fire in the past as the one that claimed most of the MGM cartoon negatives. I've yet to see a credible source for the assertion that the 1967 MGM vault fire was responsible. I strongly suspect that's just someone's idiotic assumption that got around and became "common knowledge". Kinda like the dubious assertion that the reissue changes were not made to the original negatives.

Edited by user Friday, November 17, 2017 5:03:41 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Zachary for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 11/18/2017(UTC)
Paul Thrussell  
#24 Posted : Saturday, November 18, 2017 2:11:53 AM(UTC)
Paul Thrussell

Canada

Originally Posted by: SuperMuppet64 Go to Quoted Post
steve's print of mouse cleaning is anything but dark. it's very bright and vivid
i think something that should be noted is that film color timing (is that what it is?) probably wasnt always consistent back then. i dont know but ive seen two different ib tech prints of texas tom. steve's print has a much warmer bluer tom but another print that's shown up on youtube has grey colors closer to the turner version.

Yeah, afaik because of the complexity of the dye-transfer process there was often quite a lot of variation in color between IB prints (and even between reels), although this improved as the years went by. Typically the best ones went to the more prestigious venues in major cities.