Cartoon Network Has HD Tom and Jerry Masters For Select Shorts?- Page 2 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ToonStar95  
#21 Posted : Friday, November 10, 2017 8:11:26 PM(UTC)
ToonStar95

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Joined: 9/30/2014(UTC)
Posts: 518
Man
United States

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 112 time(s) in 89 post(s)
Most Looney Tunes I see on Boomerang are still TV prints, but I saw some restored versions of A Mouse Divided, Napoleon Bunny-part and Knighty Knight Bugs recently.
thanks 1 user thanked ToonStar95 for this useful post.
VoiceTalentBrendan on 11/11/2017(UTC)
User is suspended until 6/14/2292 4:56:53 PM(UTC) LuckyToon  
#22 Posted : Saturday, November 11, 2017 4:08:39 AM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/14/2014(UTC)
Posts: 509
Man
United States

Thanks: 33 times
Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ToonStar95 Go to Quoted Post
Most Looney Tunes I see on Boomerang are still TV prints, but I saw some restored versions of A Mouse Divided, Napoleon Bunny-part and Knighty Knight Bugs recently.


Same with PAL only prints of certain cartoons, but they did recently air NTSC prints of "Odor of the Day" (1948) and "Design for Leaving" (1954), but they are non-remastered prints.
Toonatic  
#23 Posted : Saturday, November 11, 2017 2:27:30 PM(UTC)
Toonatic

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Joined: 9/14/2014(UTC)
Posts: 593
United States

Thanks: 116 times
Was thanked: 200 time(s) in 147 post(s)
A Mouse Divided was actually a 1998 dubbed print without the "This Version" byline.
Mesterius  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, November 14, 2017 2:56:07 PM(UTC)
Mesterius

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/14/2014(UTC)
Posts: 151

Thanks: 34 times
Was thanked: 90 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Cool_Cat Go to Quoted Post
It looks like the Pan & Scan and 16:9 cropped versions are the same they air in the UK but with a big difference, all the shorts are unedited.

Then again, it's probably not good news because all the shorts which do not have HD masters (like Mouse for Sale) will never air again.


Come again? Why would the 1955 Tom and Jerry short Mouse For Sale not have an HD master?
Cool_Cat  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, November 14, 2017 5:17:30 PM(UTC)
Cool_Cat

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/28/2015(UTC)
Posts: 165
Italy

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Because the Golden Collection Volume 2 included the shorts up to Posse Cat. The rest of the Academy Ratio shorts are not restored yet.
Mesterius  
#26 Posted : Wednesday, November 15, 2017 3:50:25 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/14/2014(UTC)
Posts: 151

Thanks: 34 times
Was thanked: 90 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Cool_Cat Go to Quoted Post
Because the Golden Collection Volume 2 included the shorts up to Posse Cat. The rest of the Academy Ratio shorts are not restored yet.


You're wrong -- ALL of the Hanna-Barbera Tom and Jerry shorts have been restored in high definiton by this point. Evidence for this has been observed and mentioned frequently by many members of this forum over the last few years.

You have to realize the following: Warner Brothers are no longer restoring content like this just for a tentative Blu-ray edition. Tom and Jerry is one of their evergreen franchises. They have restored the entirety of the old theatrical T&J library to have HD remasters ready for any broadcaster etc. who might want them.

In this day and age, high-definition restoration of library content is being done as an investment for the future as much as for any specific release. There will always be a value in having the original Tom and Jerry shorts available in HD.
User is suspended until 6/14/2292 4:56:53 PM(UTC) LuckyToon  
#27 Posted : Wednesday, November 15, 2017 4:35:33 AM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/14/2014(UTC)
Posts: 509
Man
United States

Thanks: 33 times
Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Cool_Cat Go to Quoted Post
Because the Golden Collection Volume 2 included the shorts up to Posse Cat. The rest of the Academy Ratio shorts are not restored yet.


You're wrong -- ALL of the Hanna-Barbera Tom and Jerry shorts have been restored in high definiton by this point. Evidence for this has been observed and mentioned frequently by many members of this forum over the last few years.

You have to realize the following: Warner Brothers are no longer restoring content like this just for a tentative Blu-ray edition. Tom and Jerry is one of their evergreen franchises. They have restored the entirety of the old theatrical T&J library to have HD remasters ready for any broadcaster etc. who might want them.

In this day and age, high-definition restoration of library content is being done as an investment for the future as much as for any specific release. There will always be a value in having the original Tom and Jerry shorts available in HD.


Well if that's the case, then I'm hoping if by the time they now feel comfortable releasing the censor 2 cartoons in remastered quality, then we will see the remaining remastered T&J cartoons on home video as part of the Warner Archive collections.
Cool_Cat  
#28 Posted : Wednesday, November 15, 2017 3:57:31 PM(UTC)
Cool_Cat

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/28/2015(UTC)
Posts: 165
Italy

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Mesterius you're wrong on that one.

I watch Tom and Jerry shorts on the RSI La 1 channel which always gets the most up to date masters (they even had the Deitch shorts all remastered only 3 months after the DVD came out) and the shorts from Hic Cup Pup to Pecos Pest were the old masters.

If they actually bothered to remaster them in the last year (and I doubt it), I've never seen those versions anywhere.
Mesterius  
#29 Posted : Saturday, November 18, 2017 12:04:17 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/14/2014(UTC)
Posts: 151

Thanks: 34 times
Was thanked: 90 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Cool_Cat Go to Quoted Post
Mesterius you're wrong on that one.

I watch Tom and Jerry shorts on the RSI La 1 channel which always gets the most up to date masters (they even had the Deitch shorts all remastered only 3 months after the DVD came out) and the shorts from Hic Cup Pup to Pecos Pest were the old masters.

If they actually bothered to remaster them in the last year (and I doubt it), I've never seen those versions anywhere.


Well, damn... it appears you're right! :O

In my mind I felt certain I had seen samples of remastered Tom and Jerry cartoons from the entire Hanna-Barbera run... but looking into it, I couldn't find evidence of a single remastered cartoon in the Academy aspect ratio from that short, 15-film period you mention.

I think because the unremastered films constitute such a short period (April 1954-November 1955), I have just assumed in my mind that the films inbetween all the HD samples I've seen had also gotten restored. Especially since four of the films within this period have seen remasterings in their Cinemascope versions -- so that leaves only 11 Hanna-Barbera T&J shorts which have never been restored in any format. Considering the small number, I'm still surpriced that Warner hasn't just said already, "well, let's get these restored too so that we have the entire classic library available in HD". But I guess they haven't.

(Speaking of which: I would really love to see the Academy-formatted versions of those four films mentioned above restored as well -- watching them, it feels obvious to me that they were designed in Academy ratio first, even though they were produced in two separate versions which even differ in details like background paintings. But what is the likeliness these days of some T&J films getting a DOUBLE restoration? Sigh.)

In any case: sorry, my mistake. (And I'm REALLY disappointed with Warner Brothers right now.)
Users browsing this topic
2 Pages<12
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error