Warner Archive presents "Porky Pig Black and White Shorts"!- Page 14 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
14 Pages«<121314
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mesterius  
#261 Posted : Monday, January 29, 2018 2:04:57 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 86 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dbear Go to Quoted Post
Not fully understanding the question being asked but Blitz Wolf is the only Tex Avery cartoon presented in HD (not upscaled) on the Platinum blu-ray.

Are you sure about this?? I'm pretty sure I watched Blitz Wolf on that set a year ago or so, and to me it looked like upscaled SD just like the rest of the films... although, at least without the god-awful DVNR present in films like Red Hot Riding Hood.
dbear  
#262 Posted : Monday, January 29, 2018 2:35:29 AM(UTC)
dbear

Groups: Registered, Researcher

Was thanked: 142 time(s) in 77 post(s)
You be the judge:
https://imgur.com/a/TqBdT

The first 2 minutes are sourced from a softer (but colourful) element then there is very noticeable uptick in detail afterwards. I don't consider the "uncleaned" appearance bad per say. After a brief section with distracting horizontal streaks, I'd actually rate the transfer on par with the clearly non-dirt busted Tee For Two on the GC set.
thanks 1 user thanked dbear for this useful post.
Mesterius on 1/29/2018(UTC)
Mesterius  
#263 Posted : Monday, January 29, 2018 2:52:14 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

You be the judge:
https://imgur.com/a/TqBdT

The first 2 minutes are sourced from a softer (but colourful) element then there is very noticeable uptick in detail afterwards. I don't consider the "uncleaned" appearance bad per say. After a brief section with distracting horizontal streaks, I'd actually rate the transfer on par with the clearly non-dirt busted Tee For Two on the GC set.

Thanks for all the samples! That really DOES look like true HD! Have to admit, if you had only shown me the first two shots of the pigs in that batch, I would probably have still felt it was an upscaled video master. But the shots after that look great:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Damn, now I wish the LTPC set had also included the remastered and cleaned up "Dixieland Droopy". That way, we could have had one more Avery short released in true HD.
dbear  
#264 Posted : Monday, January 29, 2018 3:01:12 AM(UTC)
dbear

Was thanked: 142 time(s) in 77 post(s)
(I notice we seem to be veering off-topic and should probably move this into a catch-all Warner restoration discussion thread but continuing to digress a little...)

It's quite clear that the non T&J MGM toons blessed enough to be on the Academy Award DVD set were remastered in HD (Peace On Earth, Little Johnny Jet, The Milky Way etc.). Goodwill to Men has turned up as a Warner Archive blu-ray extra and I suspect it's the same remaster (not horrifically letterboxed in a 4x3 frame this time, I hope!) but haven't been able to confirm yet.
PopKorn Kat  
#265 Posted : Monday, January 29, 2018 3:04:14 AM(UTC)
PopKorn Kat

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Administrators, Moderator, Beta Tester
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 241 time(s) in 182 post(s)
(I notice we seem to be veering off-topic and should probably move this into a catch-all Warner restoration discussion thread but continuing to digress a little...)

I agree. Just a reminder to please keep this thread on the topic of the Porky Pig 101 set and move general Warner restoration discussion to its own thread.
thanks 1 user thanked PopKorn Kat for this useful post.
Toadette on 1/29/2018(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#266 Posted : Thursday, February 1, 2018 8:54:42 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Getting a bit back on topic, you know what would be a great idea for either Warner Archive or Warner Home Video proper to release?

Something along the lines of this.
tonyboy85  
#267 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2018 8:56:10 PM(UTC)
tonyboy85

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 20 post(s)
From the IAD Forums.

IAD Forums Thread:
"Jerry Beck on Stu's Show - 3/21/18", Post #15:
http://www.intanibase.co...-on-Stu-s-Show---3-21-18

Toonatic:
"Good news tonight! Porky 101 JUST made a profit, they're now going to look into the future, AND there will never be another Archive animation release again (let me finish!) with unrestored transfers! :D".
thanks 2 users thanked tonyboy85 for this useful post.
Daffyrocks18 on 3/28/2018(UTC), LuckyToon on 5/3/2018(UTC)
Mesterius  
#268 Posted : Wednesday, May 2, 2018 7:03:28 PM(UTC)
Mesterius

The latest post on Cartoon Research is named "What's That Title Cue?". In it, Devon Baxter writes about how Warner Brothers deleted Carl Stalling's original opening title music on many older cartoons for their Blue Ribbon reissues:

Quote:
Many animation buffs are aware of Warner Bros.’ elimination of the main titles from several of their cartoons from 1935 to 1948 under the “Blue Ribbon” banner. This practice excised the credited artists in the films, though that information can be found through easily available copyright entries. Warners also spliced the “Blue Ribbon” titles onto the original negatives when they junked the original main credit sequences. As another casualty, Carl Stalling’s music underneath the main titles was deleted.

Maybe it was this proud tradition Warner Brothers was paying tribute to when they did "Porky Pig 101".
LuckyToon  
#269 Posted : Thursday, May 3, 2018 2:31:14 AM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: tonyboy85 Go to Quoted Post
From the IAD Forums.

IAD Forums Thread:
"Jerry Beck on Stu's Show - 3/21/18", Post #15:
http://www.intanibase.co...-on-Stu-s-Show---3-21-18

Toonatic:
"Good news tonight! Porky 101 JUST made a profit, they're now going to look into the future, AND there will never be another Archive animation release again (let me finish!) with unrestored transfers! :D".

Oh good! :D

I'm glad the DVD is making money for them on the sales. I can't wait to see their future LT DVD and/or Blu Ray releases on WA once they announce them in the future.