Warner Archive presents "Porky Pig Black and White Shorts"!- Page 14 - Forum.
Mesterius
2018-01-28T19:04:57Z
Originally Posted by: dbear 

Not fully understanding the question being asked but Blitz Wolf is the only Tex Avery cartoon presented in HD (not upscaled) on the Platinum blu-ray.

Are you sure about this?? I'm pretty sure I watched Blitz Wolf on that set a year ago or so, and to me it looked like upscaled SD just like the rest of the films... although, at least without the god-awful DVNR present in films like Red Hot Riding Hood.
dbear
2018-01-28T19:35:29Z
You be the judge:
https://imgur.com/a/TqBdT 

The first 2 minutes are sourced from a softer (but colourful) element then there is very noticeable uptick in detail afterwards. I don't consider the "uncleaned" appearance bad per say. After a brief section with distracting horizontal streaks, I'd actually rate the transfer on par with the clearly non-dirt busted Tee For Two on the GC set.
Mesterius
2018-01-28T19:52:14Z

You be the judge:
https://imgur.com/a/TqBdT 

The first 2 minutes are sourced from a softer (but colourful) element then there is very noticeable uptick in detail afterwards. I don't consider the "uncleaned" appearance bad per say. After a brief section with distracting horizontal streaks, I'd actually rate the transfer on par with the clearly non-dirt busted Tee For Two on the GC set.

Thanks for all the samples! That really DOES look like true HD! Have to admit, if you had only shown me the first two shots of the pigs in that batch, I would probably have still felt it was an upscaled video master. But the shots after that look great:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Damn, now I wish the LTPC set had also included the remastered and cleaned up "Dixieland Droopy". That way, we could have had one more Avery short released in true HD.
dbear
2018-01-28T20:01:12Z
(I notice we seem to be veering off-topic and should probably move this into a catch-all Warner restoration discussion thread but continuing to digress a little...)

It's quite clear that the non T&J MGM toons blessed enough to be on the Academy Award DVD set were remastered in HD (Peace On Earth, Little Johnny Jet, The Milky Way etc.). Goodwill to Men has turned up as a Warner Archive blu-ray extra and I suspect it's the same remaster (not horrifically letterboxed in a 4x3 frame this time, I hope!) but haven't been able to confirm yet.
PopKorn Kat
2018-01-28T20:04:14Z

(I notice we seem to be veering off-topic and should probably move this into a catch-all Warner restoration discussion thread but continuing to digress a little...)

I agree. Just a reminder to please keep this thread on the topic of the Porky Pig 101 set and move general Warner restoration discussion to its own thread.
WaltWiz1901
2018-02-01T01:54:42Z
Getting a bit back on topic, you know what would be a great idea for either Warner Archive or Warner Home Video proper to release?

Something along the lines of this .
tonyboy85
2018-03-22T13:56:10Z
From the IAD Forums.

IAD Forums Thread:
"Jerry Beck on Stu's Show - 3/21/18", Post #15:
http://www.intanibase.co...-on-Stu-s-Show---3-21-18 

Toonatic:
"Good news tonight! Porky 101 JUST made a profit, they're now going to look into the future, AND there will never be another Archive animation release again (let me finish!) with unrestored transfers! :D".
Mesterius
2018-05-02T12:03:28Z
The latest post on Cartoon Research is named "What's That Title Cue? ". In it, Devon Baxter writes about how Warner Brothers deleted Carl Stalling's original opening title music on many older cartoons for their Blue Ribbon reissues:

Quote:

Many animation buffs are aware of Warner Bros.’ elimination of the main titles from several of their cartoons from 1935 to 1948 under the “Blue Ribbon” banner. This practice excised the credited artists in the films, though that information can be found through easily available copyright entries. Warners also spliced the “Blue Ribbon” titles onto the original negatives when they junked the original main credit sequences. As another casualty, Carl Stalling’s music underneath the main titles was deleted.

Maybe it was this proud tradition Warner Brothers was paying tribute to when they did "Porky Pig 101".
LuckyToon
2018-05-02T19:31:14Z
Originally Posted by: tonyboy85 

From the IAD Forums.

IAD Forums Thread:
"Jerry Beck on Stu's Show - 3/21/18", Post #15:
http://www.intanibase.co...-on-Stu-s-Show---3-21-18 

Toonatic:
"Good news tonight! Porky 101 JUST made a profit, they're now going to look into the future, AND there will never be another Archive animation release again (let me finish!) with unrestored transfers! :D".

Oh good! :D

I'm glad the DVD is making money for them on the sales. I can't wait to see their future LT DVD and/or Blu Ray releases on WA once they announce them in the future.
Mesterius
2020-01-06T19:50:43Z
A few hours ago, Jerry Beck posted a comment  about Porky Pig 101 on his Cartoon Research Facebook page which was more substantial than I've seen before. I thought it was interesting enough to share in full here:

Quote:

By all means, discuss the set’s problems. I’ve spoken often about why the problems were there, but once more, and hopefully for the last time, let’s put it in perspective.

Once upon a time (about eight years ago), Warner Bros. locked the vaults on restoring classic cartoons and putting them out on physical media. Fans and collectors were no longer going to get any new releases. Period.

I stuck my nose in and lobbied the small Warner Archive unit to put some out – In hopes the fanbase would support the effort. After years of wrangling, the idea we came up with for Warner Archive Collection was to put something out that the studio proper would otherwise never do. In fact, Warner Archive itself would never do: A 5-disc set of all the b/w Porky Pig Looney Tunes – as complete and uncut as we could.

My thought (now proven wrong) was that the concept, the breadth and scope, the audacity of such a compilation would outweigh the problems in accomplishing this goal. The problems were that there was no budget to do this. None. We pulled the best material we could – material up to the standard of DVD specs today – which ruled out using much of what was on broadcast television in the past.

There were issues – many were actually fixed before its release, but you wouldn’t know that. Because we fixed them. But many others remained. My friend George Feltenstein himself was disappointed with the quality and determined, early on, not to allow this release on blu-ray (which was part of the original plan) .

We went ahead in hopes that the fan base would embrace the idea. That they would support our efforts to dig inside the vault. To release not only a complete set based on a character, but a set containing more politically incorrect material than the studio ever allowed before. With that support, the support of those reading this here, a whole series of restored, deep dives were planned.

Popeye 1940s was next to come in a few months… and a few others I can’t mention yet were next… but the fallout over what wasn’t on Porky - over what was - hurt the initial sales. The fan blow back, the negative PR (public relations)… only made the studio retreat on our plans.

We’ve learned a lot. The studio never put out unrestored cartoons before – and never will again. I take full responsibility (or blame) for pushing for this set. The haters are gonna hate. But I’m personally very proud of it. It was quite an accomplishment to bring it to market, warts and all. I’ve often said it was ultimately a “test of the market”. It was. We tried.

My personal thing is making complete public access to all the classic cartoons still locked in studio vaults. All the studios. This is what I’ve spent half my life doing. You win some, you lose some. You have successes, you make some mistakes.

We are crawling back to what could have been two years ago with the trickle of releases starting with Popeye 1940s last year. We have something special coming out next month (shhhhh)… I hope to regain your trust and earn your support in things to come. Yeah, Porky 101 has a few issues. Fine – point them out. Some people haven’t noticed. Let’s move on.

Leviathan
2020-01-06T22:11:27Z
He deleted the post, so keep it up for posterity.

It's really hard to move on when we don't even know what the next step is. Popeye selling well and getting near-unanimous good PR wasn't enough to keep the series from being put on hiatus. There's not even a hint that the B/W Looney Tunes will ever be revisited. Tex Avery is STILL a no-go. And we still don't know a damned thing about this supposedly wonderful, secret new release this man has been teasing and hyping for over a year now.

If this new release isn't the greatest release ever, heavy criticism is in order. Especially given the large amount of hype.
SuperMuppet64
2020-01-06T22:20:22Z
the post wasnt deleted at all
Mesterius
2020-01-06T22:27:34Z
Originally Posted by: Leviathan 

Maybe the post was taken down temporarily for whatever reason? It's up now.

It's really hard to move on when we don't even know what the next step is. Popeye selling well and getting near-unanimous good PR wasn't enough to keep the series from being put on hiatus. There's not even a hint that the B/W Looney Tunes will ever be revisited. Tex Avery is STILL a no-go. And we still don't know a damned thing about this supposedly wonderful, secret new release this man has been teasing and hyping for over a year now.

If this new release isn't the greatest release ever, heavy criticism is in order. Especially given the large amount of hype.

I didn't listen to the Stu's Show podcast, but has there really been THAT much hype from Jerry about this new release? "We are releasing something special" sounds like the normal amount of hype.
nickramer
2020-01-07T04:50:37Z
I think the release might be related to some shorts that Thad and Bob just talked about with (Mark) on their recent episode of their podcast. And I'm okay with that.
Duck Dodgers
2020-01-07T10:04:12Z

Jerry's post is there, let's see what is coming out next month.

Thad Komorowski
2020-01-07T14:02:37Z
Originally Posted by: nickramer 

I think the release might be related to some shorts that Thad and Bob just talked about with (Mark) on their recent episode of their podcast. And I'm okay with that.

I'm OK with buying restored MGM cartoons no matter who directed them.