Warner Archive presents "Porky Pig Black and White Shorts"!- Page 9 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
14 Pages«<7891011>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TibbyH  
#161 Posted : Sunday, October 1, 2017 9:51:52 PM(UTC)
TibbyH

Groups: Registered, Researcher
United States

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Are we allowed to submit screenshots from Porky Pig 101 or are they too poor quality to be acceptable?
raginggoodfella  
#162 Posted : Thursday, October 5, 2017 11:18:20 AM(UTC)
raginggoodfella

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
With the exception of Porky the Wrestler cartoon, are all the shorts unedited/uncut?
Justin Delbert  
#163 Posted : Thursday, October 5, 2017 11:31:47 AM(UTC)
Justin Delbert

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: raginggoodfella Go to Quoted Post
With the exception of Porky the Wrestler cartoon, are all the shorts unedited/uncut?

Absolutely!!!!

As for the screen shots that would be an admin to decide, but if it were me, I'd say yes (they look great for the most part)
thanks 1 user thanked Justin Delbert for this useful post.
raginggoodfella on 10/5/2017(UTC)
Mesterius  
#164 Posted : Friday, October 6, 2017 8:47:07 PM(UTC)
Mesterius

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Justin Delbert Go to Quoted Post

Absolutely!!!!

All of them are not "unedited" when a handful have the wrong opening audio edited in, effectively ruining the beginning of the films (as we can see examples of in Thad's review). And several others are missing the first few seconds, too.
thanks 4 users thanked Mesterius for this useful post.
Toadette on 10/6/2017(UTC), PopKorn Kat on 10/6/2017(UTC), dbear on 10/7/2017(UTC), raginggoodfella on 10/7/2017(UTC)
raginggoodfella  
#165 Posted : Saturday, October 7, 2017 2:04:59 AM(UTC)
raginggoodfella

I don't know why Thad received some hostile reactions to his review. His review is honest. The cutting of the Rossini's William Tell overture (Lone Ranger's theme) is really really annoying. I was gonna buy it on AMAZON.com in spite of the "fake" discs, but after reading Thad's review, I think I'll pass.

Edited by user Saturday, October 7, 2017 2:05:38 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked raginggoodfella for this useful post.
Mesterius on 10/7/2017(UTC)
SuperMuppet64  
#166 Posted : Saturday, October 7, 2017 2:45:29 AM(UTC)
SuperMuppet64

Man
United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 21 post(s)
honest eh
thad seemed more like a raging bull to me
and as an annoyance certain edited title cards is i dont see it as a reason to immediately turn down the set
thanks 1 user thanked SuperMuppet64 for this useful post.
Kristjan on 10/7/2017(UTC)
Mesterius  
#167 Posted : Saturday, October 7, 2017 4:05:53 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 38 post(s)
I don't know why Thad received some hostile reactions to his review. His review is honest. The cutting of the Rossini's William Tell overture (Lone Ranger's theme) is really really annoying. I was gonna buy it on AMAZON.com in spite of the "fake" discs, but after reading Thad's review, I think I'll pass.

Originally Posted by: SuperMuppet64 Go to Quoted Post
honest eh
and as an annoyance certain edited title cards is i dont see it as a reason to immediately turn down the set

Have you seen the video embeds in Thad's review, comparing the original versions of the films to the DVD releases? Those audio edits are beyond criticism.

"Edited title cards" doesn't describe the problem properly either, especially when the misplaced audio continues running into the film itself – as exemplified in Thad's comparisons.

I, too, think Thad got way too much flack for his review. Yeah, it may sound angry in parts,but that's clearly because Thad honestly felt angry about how the films were treated. His review is utterly honest.
thanks 4 users thanked Mesterius for this useful post.
Toadette on 10/7/2017(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 10/7/2017(UTC), Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead on 10/7/2017(UTC), dbear on 10/7/2017(UTC)
TibbyH  
#168 Posted : Saturday, October 7, 2017 6:09:30 AM(UTC)
TibbyH

United States

Do we know how well the set has been selling?
Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead  
#169 Posted : Saturday, October 7, 2017 9:36:07 AM(UTC)
Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: SuperMuppet64 Go to Quoted Post
honest eh

Have you seen the video embeds in Thad's review, comparing the original versions of the films to the DVD releases? Those audio edits are beyond criticism.

"Edited title cards" doesn't describe the problem properly either, especially when the misplaced audio continues running into the film itself – as exemplified in Thad's comparisons.

I, too, think Thad got way too much flack for his review. Yeah, it may sound angry in parts,but that's clearly because Thad honestly felt angry about how the films were treated. His review is utterly honest.

Agreed.
SuperMuppet64  
#170 Posted : Saturday, October 7, 2017 9:40:21 AM(UTC)
SuperMuppet64

Man
United States

Have you seen the video embeds in Thad's review, comparing the original versions of the films to the DVD releases?

to be honest i hadnt checked the review's page since a few days after it was first posted, looks like he recently edited it to add in this stuff. that or i didnt see the videos the first time Anxious

Edited by user Saturday, October 7, 2017 9:46:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nickramer  
#171 Posted : Saturday, October 7, 2017 10:45:40 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Was thanked: 221 time(s) in 183 post(s)
Honestly, I feel like the restorations on the Thunderbean releases have spoiled some folks rotten. Jerry said there weren't going to be restored and/or perfect. Did you guys expected these to be gold plated or something? I feel like you guys are criticizing Jerry too hard. I really wish he'd add a comment about this set on Thad's blog. I (or "this idiot" as Thad would call me) also feel like he blew Jerry's friendship. Heck, I don't think this is as big of problem as the Columbia House Woody Woodpecker set that had a lot of censored TV prints. I don't recall you guys being so harsh on that (Of course, Thad was still in elementary (or middle school) when those came out).

Edited by user Saturday, October 7, 2017 11:01:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked nickramer for this useful post.
VoiceTalentBrendan on 10/7/2017(UTC), Kristjan on 10/7/2017(UTC)
Thad Komorowski  
#172 Posted : Saturday, October 7, 2017 1:11:50 PM(UTC)
Thad Komorowski

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I hate misinformation. I can't find the old posts at the moment but my memory is that most of us, especially Jon Cooke and I (who co-ran the Lantz site at the time), were very critical of Universal's lazy decision to only supply transfers of the half-hour syndicated shows to Columbia House for their Woody set—and we were also met with the same "be glad with what you got" from many. Fortunately, it led to Jerry programming the two mass market 75-cartoon collections a few years later that had most of the best Lantz cartoons fully intact. (Sadly, the first set has a fair number of cartoons rendered unwatchable by DVNR; thanks to our "whining", it didn't happen—at least to that degree—on the second set.) Oh, and I was in high school when the Columbia House set came out. :)
thanks 4 users thanked Thad Komorowski for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 10/7/2017(UTC), Toadette on 10/7/2017(UTC), dbear on 10/7/2017(UTC), Mesterius on 10/8/2017(UTC)
Kristjan  
#173 Posted : Saturday, October 7, 2017 5:36:56 PM(UTC)
Kristjan

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
AH, the Columbian House DVDs, IF we are being honest those set had the ultimate deal breaker censored toons. Although I wasn't a were of those until after the fact, since those came only out at some short of mail order only in US as I don't live in US.

But if the original opening closing titles were the deal breaker then I suspect most DVD/blu-ray sets (if not all) belongs in the trash bin.

As for DVNR lets not forget another common enemy interlacing. But thanks to VLC media player you can correct the later somewhat though, but you will have to change some settings in the player. Although you then be required to watch the DVD on your PC/Laptop.

Kristjan  
#174 Posted : Saturday, October 7, 2017 5:45:43 PM(UTC)
Kristjan

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)

hum, there such thing as constructive criticism, but unfortunately Thad's review only comes of as unfair smear on Jerry Beck....
Originally Posted by: nickramer Go to Quoted Post

Jerry said there weren't going to be restored and/or perfect. Did you guys expected these to be gold plated or something? I feel like you guys are criticizing Jerry too hard. I really wish he'd add a comment about this set on Thad's blog. I (or "this idiot" as Thad would call me) also feel like he blew Jerry's friendship.

Edited by user Sunday, October 8, 2017 3:51:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Thad Komorowski  
#175 Posted : Saturday, October 7, 2017 7:15:03 PM(UTC)
Thad Komorowski

I'm not sure how to make any sense of that. Or how to make sense of writing reviews about books you haven't read, have no interest in reading, and about subjects you don't care about. The criticism is against the studio for putting out a massive set of material it has no intention of revisiting in a time frame that obviously precluded proper quality control and preserved the cartoons in a compromised state that was completely unnecessary.

Edited by user Saturday, October 7, 2017 7:39:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Thad Komorowski for this useful post.
Mesterius on 10/8/2017(UTC)
TibbyH  
#176 Posted : Saturday, October 7, 2017 11:18:56 PM(UTC)
TibbyH

United States

Were the opening title mistakes made on this release specifically or was it the interpositive prints they used.

If it's the later, why would they even make these mistakes in the first place?
thanks 1 user thanked TibbyH for this useful post.
LuckyToon on 10/7/2017(UTC)
SuperMuppet64  
#177 Posted : Sunday, October 8, 2017 12:04:15 AM(UTC)
SuperMuppet64

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: TibbyH Go to Quoted Post
Were the opening title mistakes made on this release specifically or was it the interpositive prints they used.

If it's the later, why would they even make these mistakes in the first place?

it sounds like they were added in for this release, which i found really odd. if the original sound was in the prints, i find it strange they would go ahead and replace it. personally, i overlooked this problem because i was only interested in watching the cartoons themselves, but i suppose im understanding why these sound edits arent very practical in the long run.
lots of mixed feelings going on here
nickramer  
#178 Posted : Sunday, October 8, 2017 1:46:03 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Was thanked: 221 time(s) in 183 post(s)
Well, I know Jerry felt a little hurt from that review considering how much he helped Thad in the past. I'm also pretty hurt for being dragged into that article and being referred as an idiot. That was uncalled for and I didn't even leave a comment on the damn blog.

Edited by user Sunday, October 8, 2017 1:47:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked nickramer for this useful post.
Kristjan on 10/8/2017(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 10/8/2017(UTC)
raginggoodfella  
#179 Posted : Sunday, October 8, 2017 5:40:32 AM(UTC)
raginggoodfella

Without quoting the Warner cheerleader directly--If Warner Home Video continues to release poor products, then they should include some gold. At least, I might get my money's worth. And I thank Thad again for an honest review. Check out his clips of the unf**ked openings vs Warner's messed up openings.
thanks 1 user thanked raginggoodfella for this useful post.
VoiceTalentBrendan on 10/8/2017(UTC)
Thad Komorowski  
#180 Posted : Sunday, October 8, 2017 6:54:17 AM(UTC)
Thad Komorowski

This thread or its participants weren't on my radar until last night (I almost never read this forum). The comments I called idiotic were all relayed to me directly. If you happened to have made similar comments, I hadn't read them at the time of my writing, so it's strictly coincidental.