Warner Archive presents "Porky Pig Black and White Shorts"!- Page 8 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
14 Pages«<678910>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LuckyToon  
#141 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 11:30:39 AM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Man
United States

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
I do have a feeling that the future Looney Tunes DVDs Warner Archive will also contain new-to-DVD titles taken from interpositives as well since it's a cheaper way to release the cartoons on DVD (if the Porky Pig 101 succeeds on its sales on WB Shop). This would mean we will never see the original opening and closing rings to some of the post-1948 Looney Tunes cartoons remastered on DVD (this includes "Knights Must Fall" from 1949).

Not unless I said too soon.
tonyboy85  
#142 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 11:51:47 AM(UTC)
tonyboy85

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat Go to Quoted Post
Bad news, folks, there are no plans to fix the errors on the set. From Jerry Beck himself (I got this from Orange Mo from the Looney Tunes Wiki):
Quote:

I'm afraid there are no plans to do disc replacements on Porky 101.

Porky Pig 101 was designed and advertised solely as a comprehensive collection of the black & white Porky Pig Looney Tunes cartoons, which it is. Because we had to pull elements from disparate sources within the company, we acknowledge some elements sourced have replaced opening or closing music cues. The contents of the cartoons themselves are as complete as possible, having been either digitally restored or transferred from 35mm nitrate fine-grain prints.

The bottom line: We know the prints here aren't "perfect", nor can compare to the kind of restoration work, done off the original negs (that Warner put into the previous Golden Collections), but there are about 60+plus cartoons on this set the company would never have put out before, nor ever will again.

If we are lucky and the sales figures are good, this sort of thing, using lesser film elements unrestored, will not happen again.

I think Warner Archive's "Porky Pig 101"
is just a "unique" DVD,

& as Jerry Beck said about this DVD:
"If we are lucky and the sales figures are good, this sort of thing, using lesser film elements unrestored, will not happen again.".

& also,

Keep buying "Porky Pig 101",
& the classic cartoons on Blu-ray (& DVD)
can have a good-&-great future,
via Warner Archive & Turner's TCM Vault Collection.
thanks 2 users thanked tonyboy85 for this useful post.
Kristjan on 9/26/2017(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 9/26/2017(UTC)
wundermild  
#143 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 4:25:12 PM(UTC)
wundermild

Norway

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I think we have to wait until the copyright expires and the films become public domain. Then, Thunderbean can do a proper restoration job on them. Just hold your breath until 2038 when "Confusions of a Nutzy Spy" is due... [insert Sonny Bono smiley here]
VoiceTalentBrendan  
#144 Posted : Tuesday, September 26, 2017 11:32:06 PM(UTC)
VoiceTalentBrendan

Man
United States

Was thanked: 90 time(s) in 71 post(s)
not likely. Warners would probably lobby the copyright office for copyright renewals.
Cool_Cat  
#145 Posted : Wednesday, September 27, 2017 12:38:34 AM(UTC)
Cool_Cat

Italy

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Guys, today I watched again the Fine Tooning special feature and after I saw the operator getting rid of the mold on Elmer's Candid Camera, I wanted to give it a try too.

I downloaded the demo of a film restoration software and I loaded in Tee for Two which was left uncleaned in the Blu Ray. It's really painstaking but the final result is amazing.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Now, if Porky the Wrestler was dirty and shaky as Thad said, I'll give it a try but it'll take me a while. It's not as easy as color correcting.
thanks 3 users thanked Cool_Cat for this useful post.
Toadette on 9/27/2017(UTC), PopKorn Kat on 9/27/2017(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 9/27/2017(UTC)
Kristjan  
#146 Posted : Wednesday, September 27, 2017 1:01:33 AM(UTC)
Kristjan

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: VoiceTalentBrendan Go to Quoted Post
not likely. Warners would probably lobby the copyright office for copyright renewals.

You sure, Disney wont beat them to it.

I would think that better bet would be if someone came up with enough money to buy these libraries.
TibbyH  
#147 Posted : Wednesday, September 27, 2017 9:04:24 AM(UTC)
TibbyH

United States

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Just got my set this afternoon and have been finally been able to sit down and enjoy it after work.

I have to say, so far I'm more pleased with the set than I expected to be. Yes, of course, the audio and visual inconsistencies are a bummer, but regardless it's been a fun watch so far. My copy is most likely a DVD-R version considering the purple-tan color on the back of the discs (oddly enough my UPA Jolly Frolics set has the same disc color).

Keeping in mind the issues, I'd still highly recommend the set and it's another proud addition to my ever expanding Looney Tunes collection. Porky Pig

(Let's hope Warner Archive learns from their previous mistakes and delivers us an even better collection)
thanks 1 user thanked TibbyH for this useful post.
VoiceTalentBrendan on 9/27/2017(UTC)
Cool_Cat  
#148 Posted : Wednesday, September 27, 2017 5:48:46 PM(UTC)
Cool_Cat

Italy

Just received the set. Thad was DEFINITIVELY too harsh with his review, this set didn't deserve so much bashing.

But anyway, it feels like to save time they threw in the raw scans with absolute no digital work. It makes me wonder at this point why did they even bother remastering them when the 80s masters look cleaner. But at least they should be scanned in 2K so there's an hope to see some on Blu Ray.

Now this is how Injun Trouble for an example is supposed to look like:

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

And this is the removal of dirt. I DVNRed the titles because there isn't motion but it still couldn't remove that big spot you see in the upper picture so I had to manually get rid of it. Very painstaking as you can see.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

That's not all folks. If you own the Porky set and want me to digitally restore them ask me privately and I will. I'm having too much fun :P
thanks 1 user thanked Cool_Cat for this useful post.
SuperMuppet64 on 9/27/2017(UTC)
SuperMuppet64  
#149 Posted : Wednesday, September 27, 2017 6:31:30 PM(UTC)
SuperMuppet64

Man
United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 21 post(s)
looks alright, but i noticed in the second image injun joe's white outlining looks like it's almost been erased
Kristjan  
#150 Posted : Wednesday, September 27, 2017 7:03:27 PM(UTC)
Kristjan

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Cool_Cat Go to Quoted Post
Just received the set. Thad was DEFINITIVELY too harsh with his review, this set didn't deserve so much bashing.

But anyway, it feels like to save time they threw in the raw scans with absolute no digital work. It makes me wonder at this point why did they even bother remastering them when the 80s masters look cleaner. But at least they should be scanned in 2K so there's an hope to see some on Blu Ray.

Now this is how Injun Trouble for an example is supposed to look like:

See original post above

And this is the removal of dirt. I DVNRed the titles because there isn't motion but it still couldn't remove that big spot you see in the upper picture so I had to manually get rid of it. Very painstaking as you can see.
See original post above

That's not all folks. If you own the Porky set and want me to digitally restore them ask me privately and I will. I'm having too much fun :P

It was evident in Thad's review very early on that it was just set out to bash the set as much he possible could. Not very professional if you ask me. Hes been called out by many for doing so on Facebook. I knowledge there exist something like called constructive criticism Thad's review is unfortunately none of that.

Now when your done restoring why don't mail the result to warner my they did be interested in your work. :P

Edited by user Wednesday, September 27, 2017 7:04:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Cool_Cat  
#151 Posted : Wednesday, September 27, 2017 7:37:54 PM(UTC)
Cool_Cat

Italy

You see, the problem is I had to copy the disc data on my PC (I always do that anyway because I hate switching between discs), but WB wouldn't really be happy about that.
LuckyToon  
#152 Posted : Wednesday, September 27, 2017 10:19:56 PM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

I hope the prints of the cartoons taken from this DVD won't overshadow the common copies found online (you know the ones that have the correct opening and closing themes, and opening music cues). Since I would like to do the corrections myself in the future, which will take me a while to get a video editing software, something to record from a DVD or Blu Ray player to a computer, and an 8-12GB laptop (my laptop I currently own is only 4GB which is too small and not enough room to add those 2 softwares which takes up more than 4GB).

Edited by user Wednesday, September 27, 2017 10:20:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked LuckyToon for this useful post.
VoiceTalentBrendan on 10/7/2017(UTC)
Cool_Cat  
#153 Posted : Thursday, September 28, 2017 3:40:08 AM(UTC)
Cool_Cat

Italy

Guys really thanks a lot for appreciating the work I've done on these shorts to make them look better. This is Jeepers Creepers:

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

If anyone is interested I have Picador Porky and Porky's Hired Hand with their original opening cues from Boomerang Italy. Also, 3 other shorts from the set aired on RaiDue in Italy with the correct theme, I hope next time I'll visit their archives they'll let me capture at least the audio from their PC considering how I don't have them in that version right now.
thanks 4 users thanked Cool_Cat for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 9/28/2017(UTC), dbear on 9/28/2017(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 9/28/2017(UTC), Toadette on 9/29/2017(UTC)
tonyboy85  
#154 Posted : Friday, September 29, 2017 6:02:44 AM(UTC)
tonyboy85

The DVD "Porky Pig 101" is delivered to my home on 9/25/2017.
After that day, I checked all of it's discs, & the bottoms of
these discs are silver, & that means this is a factory-pressed DVD!
thanks 1 user thanked tonyboy85 for this useful post.
VoiceTalentBrendan on 9/29/2017(UTC)
videofindersTV  
#155 Posted : Friday, September 29, 2017 9:32:35 AM(UTC)
videofindersTV

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Didn't know you were on here, Cool_Cat!
Nice work on the film dirt removal. What software did you use?
Also, I've been working on deflickering some of the shorts. Here's my demo:
https://streamable.com/qh0iu
I just started with VirtualDub. I await to see the day I try AviSynth!
Anyways, good luck on your restorations, Cool_Cat.
thanks 3 users thanked videofindersTV for this useful post.
Toadette on 9/29/2017(UTC), PopKorn Kat on 9/29/2017(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 9/29/2017(UTC)
tonyboy85  
#156 Posted : Friday, September 29, 2017 12:38:49 PM(UTC)
tonyboy85

FACT:

The bottoms of the DVD-Rs are Purple only.

Remember this, OK?
thanks 2 users thanked tonyboy85 for this useful post.
LuckyToon on 9/29/2017(UTC), PopKorn Kat on 9/29/2017(UTC)
LuckyToon  
#157 Posted : Friday, September 29, 2017 12:52:51 PM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: tonyboy85 Go to Quoted Post
FACT:

The bottoms of the DVD-Rs are Purple only.

Remember this, OK?

OK, and I also forgot to say that my copy is a press-release, since the discs are silver.
Cool_Cat  
#158 Posted : Friday, September 29, 2017 1:09:09 PM(UTC)
Cool_Cat

Italy

I used the demo of DIAMANT Dustbuster + which is really high end software.

The demo won't let me export the video, while the full version is 6000 euros for Dustbuster + and 18000 for the full Film Restoration Suite (which also has stabilize, deflicker filters).

The image adjusting was done in Vegas Pro. Before you try it out there's an important thing to know...
thanks 1 user thanked Cool_Cat for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 9/29/2017(UTC)
LuckyToon  
#159 Posted : Saturday, September 30, 2017 4:21:08 PM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

I wonder if the sales of Porky Pig 101 on WB Shop are going good. Remember collectors, keep buying the DVD if you want to see more classic Looney Tunes on complete DVD sets released by Warner Archive.
thanks 4 users thanked LuckyToon for this useful post.
Kristjan on 9/30/2017(UTC), PorkyPigfan90 on 10/1/2017(UTC), Biff-Stew on 10/1/2017(UTC), Daffyrocks18 on 3/28/2018(UTC)
VoiceTalentBrendan  
#160 Posted : Sunday, October 1, 2017 7:27:33 AM(UTC)
VoiceTalentBrendan

Man
United States

Was thanked: 90 time(s) in 71 post(s)
Is it ok if I buy the DVDs in October?