Warner Archive presents "Porky Pig Black and White Shorts"!- Page 13 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
14 Pages«<11121314>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WaltWiz1901  
#241 Posted : Tuesday, December 19, 2017 2:31:52 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ToonStar95 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mark The Shark Go to Quoted Post

On the second volume, a few of the shorts are preceded by a disclaimer saying the intro music for that particular cartoon is lost.

Well, those shorts were from 1929. A few Silly Symphonies of the era began silent also, so I guess those shorts ("When the Cat's Away" and "The Jazz Fool") had their titles silent to begin with.

The title cards for both shorts mentioned were silent from the beginning; there's no need to guess whether or not they had any music playing over them.

The replacement music for the Mickey Mouse shorts were, in some cases, done before they were released on the Treasures (it wasn't until the release of both volumes that this became a full-blown issue); because of most of the original negatives being thrown out or sold to collectors outside the studio, the people working on the restorations on the Exclusive Archive Collection LaserDisc (which serves as the backbone to what would be the first volume of the Treasures' black-and-white Mickey sets) and the DVDs themselves had very little resources to use while recreating the missing cards. Consequently, most of the material used contain multiple errors not present on other prints:
*The wrong music being heard over the titles (most of these stem from prints made for television broadcasts; The Steeple-Chase, which is one of the shorts affected, features the same flaw on its colorized version)
*Acceptable to shoddy work on the recreated titles (the lack of Columbia and United Artists' names on the first volume is semi-understandable, as at the time, Disney couldn't gain the rights to feature either company on their recreated titles; the UA titles on the second volume were sourced from the sloppy 1974 reissue titles by mistake)

Edited by user Tuesday, December 19, 2017 4:14:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

WaltWiz1901  
#242 Posted : Monday, December 25, 2017 10:43:53 PM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

This Christmas, I woke up to find this set among a couple of the things under the tree.

I didn't receive either pressed or burned DVD-R discs; instead, I got DVD+Rs. When I have the time, I'll put some of the discs in and try going through it in chronological order.

Before you blast me, this is the first Looney Tunes DVD I have, so the music changes won't be as noticeable as many of you think. I did have some gift cards on my list, so I could use them to find some more.
Jason Todd  
#243 Posted : Monday, January 15, 2018 7:25:09 PM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Man
United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I just looked on WB Shop. Porky 101 is currently the top best-seller in the category of Made-to-Order DVD titles.

Methinks the sales figures look pretty promising, thus far.
WaltWiz1901  
#244 Posted : Monday, January 15, 2018 11:03:02 PM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Jason Todd Go to Quoted Post
I just looked on WB Shop. Porky 101 is currently the top best-seller in the category of Made-to-Order DVD titles.

Methinks the sales figures look pretty promising, thus far.

So it is.......you're right, they are promising!

What other DVDs (or possibly even Blu-rays) could we get as a result of this?
Jason Todd  
#245 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 3:23:17 AM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: WaltWiz1901 Go to Quoted Post

I don't know, but boy, am I anxious to find out!

Whatever it is, Jerry and Stu did say--when the set was announced--that we're gonna want it. They, of course, both stated they were sworn to secrecy; totally understandable, but I definitely hope it's worth the wait.
Mark The Shark  
#246 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 10:14:32 AM(UTC)
Mark The Shark

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 9 post(s)

Whatever it is, Jerry and Stu did say--when the set was announced--that we're gonna want it. They, of course, both stated they were sworn to secrecy; totally understandable, but I definitely hope it's worth the wait.

The Bugs Bunny Show. (Probably not.)

Tex Avery.

Jonathan Wilson  
#247 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 1:27:50 PM(UTC)
Jonathan Wilson

Man
United States

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mark The Shark Go to Quoted Post

The Bugs Bunny Show. (Probably not.)

Tex Avery.

The Tex Avery set seems to be the one Jerry has been hinting at the most..
LuckyToon  
#248 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 2:05:33 PM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Man
United States

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
A Tex Avery DVD set is one that I want so bad, as long as they use uncensored prints of the cartoons.
SuperMuppet64  
#249 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 4:55:29 PM(UTC)
SuperMuppet64

Man
United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 21 post(s)
forget a tex avery dvd set, i want a tex avery blu-ray set
Jason Todd  
#250 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 1:05:03 PM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: SuperMuppet64 Go to Quoted Post

It should be released on both formats. Remember, not everybody has a Blu-ray player.
thanks 1 user thanked Jason Todd for this useful post.
Daffyrocks18 on 3/28/2018(UTC)
LuckyToon  
#251 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2018 5:06:26 PM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: SuperMuppet64 Go to Quoted Post

It should be released on both formats. Remember, not everybody has a Blu-ray player.

True
nickramer  
#252 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2018 12:10:36 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Was thanked: 200 time(s) in 164 post(s)
I'm hoping a certain prime time show will be on Warner Archives anyway despite not all elements have been found in color.
Cool_Cat  
#253 Posted : Saturday, January 20, 2018 2:49:06 AM(UTC)
Cool_Cat

Italy

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 36 post(s)
You see, the problem with a Tex Avery set is the fact the original negatives are lost for most of the shorts. WB used to release the transfers not fully cleaned on DVD, and then they completely cleaned them up for the BD releases.

The remastered version of Blitz Wolf (which is in HD on the LTPC Volume 2, but not cleaned up) has so much dirt and vertical scratches it would take a lot of time to fully clean it, and I noticed the same scratches are present on the two older transfers. Just to give you the idea, it took me 7 hours to clean just the first cut of Tee for Two (which was left uncleaned on BD for some reason).

So, a proper Tex Avery set would be really expensive (and I bet they'll do the same mistake not using Technicolor sources for some short). It could happen just because they fear about low sales they'll go with the lazy route and release the 90s remasters, which do look very good but there's the DVNR problem in many of them.

Then another problem. Try dealing with the legal department about all the blackface gags, considering how many are more "offensive" (if you want to say so..) than the ones seen on the Tom and Jerry shorts.

I'm sorry about being so pessimistic. But anyway, I apologize for the lack of inactivity, I've been kinda busy. I'll try to mess around with the Porky shorts to make them look better again.
WaltWiz1901  
#254 Posted : Saturday, January 20, 2018 3:20:10 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Cool_Cat Go to Quoted Post
You see, the problem with a Tex Avery set is the fact the original negatives are lost for most of the shorts. WB used to release the transfers not fully cleaned on DVD, and then they completely cleaned them up for the BD releases.

The remastered version of Blitz Wolf (which is in HD on the LTPC Volume 2, but not cleaned up) has so much dirt and vertical scratches it would take a lot of time to fully clean it, and I noticed the same scratches are present on the two older transfers. Just to give you the idea, it took me 7 hours to clean just the first cut of Tee for Two (which was left uncleaned on BD for some reason).

So, a proper Tex Avery set would be really expensive (and I bet they'll do the same mistake not using Technicolor sources for some short). It could happen just because they fear about low sales they'll go with the lazy route and release the 90s remasters, which do look very good but there's the DVNR problem in many of them.

Then another problem. Try dealing with the legal department about all the blackface gags, considering how many are more "offensive" (if you want to say so..) than the ones seen on the Tom and Jerry shorts.

I'm sorry about being so pessimistic. But anyway, I apologize for the lack of inactivity, I've been kinda busy. I'll try to mess around with the Porky shorts to make them look better again.

Do the HD restorations you mentioned have DVNR, too?! (Here's hoping none of the shorts on the supposedly "coming soon" set have that issue)
nickramer  
#255 Posted : Saturday, January 20, 2018 11:12:29 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Was thanked: 200 time(s) in 164 post(s)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Warner Archive department separate from the regular home video department? We did get some politically incorrect material on the Porky set.

Edited by user Saturday, January 20, 2018 11:13:05 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LuckyToon  
#256 Posted : Saturday, January 20, 2018 2:40:52 PM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: nickramer Go to Quoted Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Warner Archive department separate from the regular home video department? We did get some politically incorrect material on the Porky set.

I was thinking that too.
bodek610  
#257 Posted : Sunday, January 28, 2018 5:20:51 PM(UTC)
bodek610

Poland

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Wait a minute, did the Tex Avery shorts release restored on Looney Tunes Platinum Collection, Volume 2 or only "Blitz Wolf" was released restored once again?
TibbyH  
#258 Posted : Sunday, January 28, 2018 10:15:32 PM(UTC)
TibbyH

United States

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bodek610 Go to Quoted Post

Wait a minute, did the Tex Avery shorts release restored on Looney Tunes Platinum Collection, Volume 2 or only "Blitz Wolf" was released restored once again?

To my knowledge, the cartoon was first restored on the 15 Winners, 26 Nominies set then upscaled for the Platinum Collection Vo. 2 release.
dbear  
#259 Posted : Sunday, January 28, 2018 10:31:02 PM(UTC)
dbear

Was thanked: 148 time(s) in 80 post(s)
Not fully understanding the question being asked but Blitz Wolf is the only Tex Avery cartoon presented in HD (not upscaled) on the Platinum blu-ray.
Mesterius  
#260 Posted : Monday, January 29, 2018 2:02:20 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 35 post(s)

Ummmm... you do realize that Warner Brothers has faced this problem with pretty much EVERY remastered cartoon set they've ever released, right? These old films need to be cleaned up, regardless of whether first-generation negatives exist or not. Many of the Looney Tunes cartoons on the Golden/Platinum sets would probably look as bad as that copy of Blitz Wolf if Warner hadn't restored them.

I don't think the 90s "remasters" look that good; but, in any case, there most definitely ARE versions of all of them without the DVNR.

And I don't think "Tee For Two "is really uncleaned on the T&J Golden Collection. It looks heavier on the grain than many other prints... but still MILES better than the unrestored Tex Avery prints.