Boomerang Streaming Thread- Page 2 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mario500  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, April 25, 2017 2:35:01 AM(UTC)
Mario500

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Originally Posted by: speedy fast Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mario500 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: nickramer Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: speedy fast Go to Quoted Post

Recently I was looking in my copy of the 1995 Video Movie Guide and saw a summary for this (the guide was pretty negative about it) and thought it sounded interesting, but when searching for more info online couldn't find anything (not even a video cover - I wonder if this really was released on video like the book says; the same book also has a summary for the 1990 What's Up, Doc? special, but I've otherwise never seen anything that confirms that was released on video as a main program).

Why would a video movie guide review specials that weren't available on video? It doesn't make sense.

Did you mean a type of medium for storing video?

No, I'm talking about an annual reference book series, Video Movie Guide (which was renamed DVD Movie Guide in later years), written by Mick Martin and Marsha Porter, which ran from 1986-2007. It had entries on various home video releases. In the past, there have been other annual book series that do this (the main differences are that each year adds more titles, usually movies and videos that were not available the previous years), such as the Golden Receiver Movie Guide and Leonard Maltin's Video Movie Guide. By the 2000s, I think many of the video guide collections changed to just focus on movies, no longer listing video releases of television shows, animated shorts, specials, and direct-to-video series. I've never seen a Leonard Maltin book that included non-movies that were on video (I have the editions from 2001 and 2004, which both refer to it as "Leonard Maltin's Video-Movie Guide", though I read that they droped the "video" part of the title later on) so I don't know if it ever did include those other things, but I've seen a 1993 edition of the Golden Receiver book which did and the 2004 edition which only has entries on movies. Hmm, I should check and see if, once the focus was exclusively on movies, they included entries on made-for-video and made-for-television films that had been released on video.

I liked the books better when they had entries on anything that was on video, especially entries on various Looney Tunes videos (in fact, a few months ago, I started a thread about my own observations and nitpicks regarding the Video Movie Guide's entries on various Looney Tunes titles), when it's just movies it's not as fun.

My question was for nickramer.

nickramer  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, April 25, 2017 4:41:38 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Groups: Registered, Researcher

Was thanked: 200 time(s) in 164 post(s)
I meant video tapes, home releases.
thanks 1 user thanked nickramer for this useful post.
Mario500 on 4/25/2017(UTC)
HeySteve  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, April 25, 2017 8:01:39 AM(UTC)
HeySteve

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LuckyToon Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: HeySteve Go to Quoted Post
I previewed the opening intros for all the Popeye shorts and these are all "raw" off the shelf transfers from the Turner vault. That means that those dreaded AAP titles are everywhere.

"Assault and Flattery" and "A Haul in One" have original titles because that is the only way they exist. "She-Sick Sailors", "Shape Ahoy", "Abusement Park", "All's Fair at the Fair" and "Alpine for You" have original titles because Turner has had original copies since the 1980's. All the rest of the Popeye shorts are AAP versions.

Also, "Moving Aweigh" and "Mess Production" both appear to be time-compressed.

Personally, I prefer the AAP versions over the ones that used to air on Cartoon Network and Boomerang. If you are going to restore the open/close to these cartoons, you might as well do it the right way. What the Turner people did was not the right way. It was very lazy. All they did was take the open/close from Popeye cartoons that had original titles and plastered them over the AAP titles on other Popeye shorts. Often times, they weren't even close in picking what would've been the correct open/close titles. If you aren't going to do it right, just leave the AAP titles alone.

I thought so, but what about "We're On Our Way To Rio"? Since I have seen and heard the cartoon's original opening and closing titles to the cartoon online before.

The original soundtrack was found and the open/close titles were faked as this short was to be featured on Cartoon Network's "The Popeye Show", but in the end it did not air. The Paramount titles were sourced from "She-Sick Sailors".

nickramer  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, April 25, 2017 8:25:38 PM(UTC)
nickramer

Rather odd that the picture linked to the Popeye selection depicts the H-B version of Popeye even though none of those cartoons are available on that page.
LuckyToon  
#25 Posted : Thursday, May 4, 2017 10:26:57 AM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
I noticed that the Tom Cat & Jerry section includes "The Tom & Jerry Kids Show", but does it include all 4 seasons of the show?

I really like to know since WB only released the first season on DVD. And all that the internet has on its copies of the later seasons are mostly Boomerang UK prints with pitched up audio.
nickramer  
#26 Posted : Saturday, May 27, 2017 9:54:58 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Season 1 (and part of season 2) of "The Flintstones" has been added to the site. Unfortunately, I don't have an account so I can't tell if they used the same time-compressed prints that the channel itself currently airs or not. Does anyone with an account know?

Edited by user Sunday, May 28, 2017 1:07:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified