Boomerang Streaming Thread - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ToonStar95  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 12, 2017 1:53:04 AM(UTC)
ToonStar95

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Man
United States

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 62 post(s)
I'm happy to say that the Boomerang streaming service has launched online. I just subscribed on the monthly plan and I've already found a few surprises.

In the "Movies" section, I found a 1990 special about Tom and Jerry's 50th anniversary made for TBS. And the Droopy section has shorts made for The Tom and Jerry Comedy Show and Droopy, Master Detective (though the CinemaScope shorts are still in pan-and-scan, sigh).

I checked out a few Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry shorts, and they vary in quality; some look great and come from restored DVD prints, while others are from common TV prints.

Anyway, it has some pretty cool stuff you don't see often anymore. Who knows what else will be there in whenever in the time ahead.
thanks 1 user thanked ToonStar95 for this useful post.
VoiceTalentBrendan on 4/12/2017(UTC)
nickramer  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 12, 2017 9:54:36 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 135 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ToonStar95 Go to Quoted Post
I'm happy to say that the Boomerang streaming service has launched online. I just subscribed on the monthly plan and I've already found a few surprises.

In the "Movies" section, I found a 1990 special about Tom and Jerry's 50th anniversary made for TBS. And the Droopy section has shorts made for The Tom and Jerry Comedy Show and Droopy, Master Detective (though the CinemaScope shorts are still in pan-and-scan, sigh).

I checked out a few Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry shorts, and they vary in quality; some look great and come from restored DVD prints, while others are from common TV prints.

Anyway, it has some pretty cool stuff you don't see often anymore. Who knows what else will be there in whenever in the time ahead.

Is the 50th Anniversary special the one John Goodman hosted and give a sneak peek at "Tom and Jerry Kids"? I always wanted to see that.
ToonStar95  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 12, 2017 11:12:34 AM(UTC)
ToonStar95

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: nickramer Go to Quoted Post
Is the 50th Anniversary special the one John Goodman hosted and give a sneak peek at "Tom and Jerry Kids"? I always wanted to see that.

Yep, that's it.

And as for more recent fare, The Life and Times of Juniper Lee is finally being shown in its original HD format.
LuckyToon  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 12, 2017 4:27:29 PM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Great to hear about this, but are the classics and old school stuff cropped in widescreen, or do they just use black boarders on the sides? Just want to know.

And I thought so that they would include many of the classics and old school stuff that's been off the air for years since. Anyways, I wonder if the Popeye section use the same recreated titles versions that CN and Boomerang use to air, since I do prefer those prints (except for the ones with special openings that replace the opening fanfares with the regular Popeye theme).
ToonStar95  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 12, 2017 8:42:06 PM(UTC)
ToonStar95

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: LuckyToon Go to Quoted Post
And I thought so that they would include many of the classics and old school stuff that's been off the air for years since. Anyways, I wonder if the Popeye section use the same recreated titles versions that CN and Boomerang use to air, since I do prefer those prints (except for the ones with special openings that replace the opening fanfares with the regular Popeye theme).

They are presented in their original aspect ratios, though the MGM CinemaScope shorts are still pan-and-scan.

As for Popeye, they don't use the recreated titles; their prints of Big Bad Sindbad and Ancient Fistory have AAP titles.
LuckyToon  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 13, 2017 1:32:04 PM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Since not all of the Looney Tunes were remastered and released on DVD and Blu Ray, this means you will stumble across the Turner prints of most pre-1948 cartoons, as well as most TV prints of the post-1948 cartoons (both the NTSC and PAL prints) that have yet to be remastered.
Cool_Cat  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 17, 2017 12:27:18 AM(UTC)
Cool_Cat

Groups: Registered
Italy

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Do you guys think this service will be released in other countries?

I'd really like to have it here after 7 years of no Looney Tunes on Boomerang.
LuckyToon  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 17, 2017 8:53:21 AM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Cool_Cat Go to Quoted Post
Do you guys think this service will be released in other countries?

I'd really like to have it here after 7 years of no Looney Tunes on Boomerang.

It depends on if the streaming service in america succeeds or not. It just launch recently, so I don't know if it was a success.
Toonatic  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 2:52:02 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

United States

Was thanked: 137 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Good thing Jerry told us about this service first hand, because we did something, and Boomerang apparently listened. :) Thanks Boomerang.

It would be nice to know if there are any unreleased home video shorts that have first time remastered prints. I can say this; a friend of mine said that the transfers for the Tom and Jerry shorts found on the still delayed Volume 2 Golden Collection are there (plus Little Quacker with it's original titles!!!) and all the Chuck Jones shorts remastered and in their original full screen! :D
craigoman8  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 3:37:40 AM(UTC)
craigoman8

I'll be joining up when I can get it on my ROKU and/or my Amazon to watch it through my television. Being an older guy, I'm not up on getting it the other ways. Boomerang is supposed to be available on those two outlets soon, I understand (I hope). It will be nice to see some classic stuff on TV again. -Craig
nickramer  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 11:05:34 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Originally Posted by: Toonatic Go to Quoted Post
Good thing Jerry told us about this service first hand, because we did something, and Boomerang apparently listened. :) Thanks Boomerang.

It would be nice to know if there are any unreleased home video shorts that have first time remastered prints. I can say this; a friend of mine said that the transfers for the Tom and Jerry shorts found on the still delayed Volume 2 Golden Collection are there (plus Little Quacker with it's original titles!!!) and all the Chuck Jones shorts remastered and in their original full screen! :D

You sure they listened to us? Are some shorts still cropped in fake widescreen (besides the cropped widescreen MGM shorts)?
rodineisilveira  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, April 19, 2017 10:17:38 PM(UTC)
rodineisilveira

Man
Brazil

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

The Boomerang streaming service is also avaliable here in Brazil and Latin America.

HeySteve  
#13 Posted : Saturday, April 22, 2017 8:47:50 AM(UTC)
HeySteve

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I previewed the opening intros for all the Popeye shorts and these are all "raw" off the shelf transfers from the Turner vault. That means that those dreaded AAP titles are everywhere.

"Assault and Flattery" and "A Haul in One" have original titles because that is the only way they exist. "She-Sick Sailors", "Shape Ahoy", "Abusement Park", "All's Fair at the Fair" and "Alpine for You" have original titles because Turner has had original copies since the 1980's. All the rest of the Popeye shorts are AAP versions.

Also, "Moving Aweigh" and "Mess Production" both appear to be time-compressed.

Personally, I prefer the AAP versions over the ones that used to air on Cartoon Network and Boomerang. If you are going to restore the open/close to these cartoons, you might as well do it the right way. What the Turner people did was not the right way. It was very lazy. All they did was take the open/close from Popeye cartoons that had original titles and plastered them over the AAP titles on other Popeye shorts. Often times, they weren't even close in picking what would've been the correct open/close titles. If you aren't going to do it right, just leave the AAP titles alone.
thanks 1 user thanked HeySteve for this useful post.
Mark The Shark on 12/22/2017(UTC)
Looney Turtles  
#14 Posted : Saturday, April 22, 2017 5:09:33 PM(UTC)
Looney Turtles

United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I'm probably going to be subscribing to this soon. But like someone else said, I can't wait for them to add this to Rokus.
Feel free to check out my new Looney Tunes board here: http://s15.zetaboards.co...ooney_Tunes_Board/index/
LuckyToon  
#15 Posted : Sunday, April 23, 2017 10:52:44 PM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: HeySteve Go to Quoted Post
I previewed the opening intros for all the Popeye shorts and these are all "raw" off the shelf transfers from the Turner vault. That means that those dreaded AAP titles are everywhere.

"Assault and Flattery" and "A Haul in One" have original titles because that is the only way they exist. "She-Sick Sailors", "Shape Ahoy", "Abusement Park", "All's Fair at the Fair" and "Alpine for You" have original titles because Turner has had original copies since the 1980's. All the rest of the Popeye shorts are AAP versions.

Also, "Moving Aweigh" and "Mess Production" both appear to be time-compressed.

Personally, I prefer the AAP versions over the ones that used to air on Cartoon Network and Boomerang. If you are going to restore the open/close to these cartoons, you might as well do it the right way. What the Turner people did was not the right way. It was very lazy. All they did was take the open/close from Popeye cartoons that had original titles and plastered them over the AAP titles on other Popeye shorts. Often times, they weren't even close in picking what would've been the correct open/close titles. If you aren't going to do it right, just leave the AAP titles alone.

I thought so, but what about "We're On Our Way To Rio"? Since I have seen and heard the cartoon's original opening and closing titles to the cartoon online before.

Edited by user Sunday, April 23, 2017 10:53:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

speedy fast  
#16 Posted : Monday, April 24, 2017 11:42:01 AM(UTC)
speedy fast

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

Yep, that's it.

Recently I was looking in my copy of the 1995 Video Movie Guide and saw a summary for this (the guide was pretty negative about it) and thought it sounded interesting, but when searching for more info online couldn't find anything (not even a video cover - I wonder if this really was released on video like the book says; the same book also has a summary for the 1990 What's Up, Doc? special, but I've otherwise never seen anything that confirms that was released on video as a main program).

Originally Posted by: Toonatic Go to Quoted Post

I thought the Chuck Jones shorts were originally produced in widescreen.
ToonStar95  
#17 Posted : Monday, April 24, 2017 1:00:59 PM(UTC)
ToonStar95

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: speedy fast Go to Quoted Post
I thought the Chuck Jones shorts were originally produced in widescreen.

They were technically produced in fullscreen, but they were "open-matte", which allowed them to be screened in theaters with the top and bottom blocked off and shown in widescreen without losing important information.
nickramer  
#18 Posted : Monday, April 24, 2017 8:11:28 PM(UTC)
nickramer

Recently I was looking in my copy of the 1995 Video Movie Guide and saw a summary for this (the guide was pretty negative about it) and thought it sounded interesting, but when searching for more info online couldn't find anything (not even a video cover - I wonder if this really was released on video like the book says; the same book also has a summary for the 1990 What's Up, Doc? special, but I've otherwise never seen anything that confirms that was released on video as a main program).

Why would a video movie guide review specials that weren't available on video? It doesn't make sense.

Edited by user Monday, April 24, 2017 8:12:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mario500  
#19 Posted : Monday, April 24, 2017 9:12:37 PM(UTC)
Mario500

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 18 post(s)

Why would a video movie guide review specials that weren't available on video? It doesn't make sense.

Did you mean a type of medium for storing video?
speedy fast  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, April 25, 2017 1:49:56 AM(UTC)
speedy fast

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mario500 Go to Quoted Post

Did you mean a type of medium for storing video?

No, I'm talking about an annual reference book series, Video Movie Guide (which was renamed DVD Movie Guide in later years), written by Mick Martin and Marsha Porter, which ran from 1986-2007. It had entries on various home video releases. In the past, there have been other annual book series that do this (the main differences are that each year adds more titles, usually movies and videos that were not available the previous years), such as the Golden Receiver Movie Guide and Leonard Maltin's Video Movie Guide. By the 2000s, I think many of the video guide collections changed to just focus on movies, no longer listing video releases of television shows, animated shorts, specials, and direct-to-video series. I've never seen a Leonard Maltin book that included non-movies that were on video (I have the editions from 2001 and 2004, which both refer to it as "Leonard Maltin's Video-Movie Guide", though I read that they droped the "video" part of the title later on) so I don't know if it ever did include those other things, but I've seen a 1993 edition of the Golden Receiver book which did and the 2004 edition which only has entries on movies. Hmm, I should check and see if, once the focus was exclusively on movies, they included entries on made-for-video and made-for-television films that had been released on video.

I liked the books better when they had entries on anything that was on video, especially entries on various Looney Tunes videos (in fact, a few months ago, I started a thread about my own observations and nitpicks regarding the Video Movie Guide's entries on various Looney Tunes titles), when it's just movies it's not as fun.