Who is going to boycott the live-action Beauty and the Beast? - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
User is suspended until 10/18/2045 7:30:21 AM(UTC) ParamountCartoons  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 12, 2017 10:07:14 AM(UTC)
ParamountCartoons

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 37 post(s)
I can't stand the hype, it just needs to stop! Even my library is promoting the movie.

My friends really want to go, but I politely say no (I tell them I want to see Kong: Skull Island instead). My cousin wants to see it since the 2D 1991 film was her favorite.

A lot of nostalgia reboots really suck a lot of the time! If you want nostalgia go to youtube or window-shop on eBay (and maybe sometimes Amazon), or if you really want to yearn look in the attic/basement/storage/closet, or just simply go to a secondhand store, simple as that.

But for those who want to see it, good for them. I just don't want a Disney cash-grab shove-down against my free will.

I hope eutychus can understand my frustrations.........

VoiceTalentBrendan  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 12, 2017 10:31:32 AM(UTC)
VoiceTalentBrendan

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Man
United States

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 81 post(s)
I'm avoiding those remakes too. The only one of those I saw was Pete's Dragon (2016) it was ok.,some of my family members and I have grew up on the one from 1977.
ToonStar95  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 12, 2017 10:46:27 AM(UTC)
ToonStar95

Man
United States

Was thanked: 117 time(s) in 93 post(s)
I'm not gonna see it, just because I'm not interested. The only live-action reimagining I saw was Jungle Book.

P.S. I thought this was gonna be a homophobic thread because...you know.
nickramer  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 12, 2017 11:23:43 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Was thanked: 226 time(s) in 188 post(s)
I'm not seeing it. However, Luke, could you please not do any more unnecessary threads like this in the future? Thanks.

Edited by user Sunday, March 12, 2017 11:24:25 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mario500  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 12, 2017 7:03:10 PM(UTC)
Mario500

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I was never interested in watching this movie due to its very existence as a revised version of an movie that did not need to be retold in a revised format (I liked the original movie).
Valeyard  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 14, 2017 9:02:25 PM(UTC)
Valeyard

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Your use of terminology is interesting. By virtue of not going is boycotting?

I think it's a shame Disney stopped producing original animations, BATB was one of their very best in my humble opinion.
titanic  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 15, 2017 1:28:26 AM(UTC)
titanic

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
beauty and the beast is my favourite animation film of all time.
So, yeah, of course i'm not going!

even if it wasn't a remake, still i wouldn't go because i can't stand contemporary heavy cgi films!
nickramer  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 15, 2017 10:13:12 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Originally Posted by: Valeyard Go to Quoted Post

I think it's a shame Disney stopped producing original animations, BATB was one of their very best in my humble opinion.

For the record, John wants to do another traditional animated film, but his boss doesn't think its' will be successful. So, it's unfortunately beyond his control (wish it wasn't).

Edited by user Thursday, March 16, 2017 1:10:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Valeyard  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 15, 2017 11:04:58 AM(UTC)
Valeyard

Originally Posted by: nickramer Go to Quoted Post
For the record, Jon wants to do another traditional animated film, but his boss doesn't think its' will be successful. So, it's unfortunately beyond his control (wish it wasn't).

Did you see the movie Dream on Silly Dreamer? The corporate greed took over with Disney - they went with cheaper to produce quick to make film strategies for rapid release in an already saturated market. Churning out generic films is a proven turn-key business strategy to produce profits for investors. It's a shame they're messing with this film, and the bluray is also quite shameful. When Disney premiered the incomplete WIP version of the film at the 1991 NY Film Festival it received a standing ovation. It's one of their highest rated animations - despite all the racist and classist undertones present. It's a movie that can move grown men to tears in the theater.

It's not necessarily just the animation style that would produce a great film, that's nothing without a terrific story to go along with it. This was a story truly written for animation though, I just don't think you could pull off a live action film of this picture and still have it invoke the same range of emotions in people.
nickramer  
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 16, 2017 1:19:16 AM(UTC)
nickramer

For another on the record, John is NOT in control of the live-action films, only the animation department. If he was, he'd probably shut down production of the planned live-action "Dumbo" film ASAP. I'm sure he's not pretty happy about this strategy either, especially since "Dumbo" is his favorite animated film. But he can't gives his opinion about these decisions publicly as he'll get in trouble with the company (and I do not want that to happen). Honestly, I really think he (or anyone else in the animation department) needs to have some control overly all the Disney films in general.
Mario500  
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 16, 2017 2:08:15 AM(UTC)
Mario500

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nickramer Go to Quoted Post

For the record, John wants to do another traditional animated film, but his boss doesn't think its' will be successful. So, it's unfortunately beyond his control (wish it wasn't).

Who is this "John"?

Did you see the movie Dream on Silly Dreamer? The corporate greed took over with Disney - they went with cheaper to produce quick to make film strategies for rapid release in an already saturated market. Churning out generic films is a proven turn-key business strategy to produce profits for investors. It's a shame they're messing with this film, and the bluray is also quite shameful. When Disney premiered the incomplete WIP version of the film at the 1991 NY Film Festival it received a standing ovation. It's one of their highest rated animations - despite all the racist and classist undertones present. It's a movie that can move grown men to tears in the theater.

Were you referring to a "work-in-progress" version of the Disney company's first "Beauty and the Beast" movie?
Valeyard  
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 16, 2017 9:24:18 AM(UTC)
Valeyard

Originally Posted by: Mario500 Go to Quoted Post

Were you referring to a "work-in-progress" version of the Disney company's first "Beauty and the Beast" movie?

That's right. Hand-drawn animation is labour-intensive. And expensive if you pay your artists well, which according to Dream on Silly Dreamer is not what Disney used to do.
thanks 1 user thanked Valeyard for this useful post.
Mario500 on 3/16/2017(UTC)
nickramer  
#13 Posted : Thursday, March 16, 2017 10:04:15 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Originally Posted by: Mario500 Go to Quoted Post

Who is this "John"?

John Lasseter, the head of Walt Disney Animation and the head and founder of Pixar.

thanks 1 user thanked nickramer for this useful post.
Mario500 on 3/16/2017(UTC)
VoiceTalentBrendan  
#14 Posted : Thursday, March 16, 2017 10:19:02 AM(UTC)
VoiceTalentBrendan

Man
United States

and there is also Ed Catmull
nickramer  
#15 Posted : Friday, March 17, 2017 10:23:41 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Originally Posted by: VoiceTalentBrendan Go to Quoted Post
and there is also Ed Catmull

Yeah, I kind of over-looked that detail. This why I'm not an animation historian, folks.
VoiceTalentBrendan  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, January 23, 2018 3:12:38 AM(UTC)
VoiceTalentBrendan

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: VoiceTalentBrendan Go to Quoted Post
I'm avoiding those remakes too. The only one of those I saw was Pete's Dragon (2016) it was ok.,some of my family members and I have grew up on the one from 1977.

Update: last year my sister came for a visit, we went to Walmart she bought the Beauty and the Beast remake, went back to my place and watched it.

last week I wacthed The Jungle Book 2016 remake on Netflix.

my thoughts: Beauty and the Beast 2017 good. except for the "be our geust" musical number, I perfer the 1991 classic "be our geust over this.

as for The Jungle Book 2016...... I'm mixed about that.

all right DIsney bring on Prydain. any anouncment of scripwriters and a director?