Advanced Search Capabilities - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
eutychus  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 8, 2017 6:05:54 AM(UTC)
eutychus

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Administrators, Moderator, WebsiteAdmin
Man
United States

Was thanked: 316 time(s) in 229 post(s)
I'm just about ready to install a page for advanced searches. Before I do, I wanted to get everyone's ideas for how you would like me to implement it. Thanks!
PopKorn Kat  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 8, 2017 6:29:23 AM(UTC)
PopKorn Kat

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Moderator, Beta Tester
Woman

Was thanked: 198 time(s) in 161 post(s)
Currently, you can only search the titles of cartoons. I’d like to see options to search these as well:
  • Character names
  • Artist names. I’d also like to take this opportunity to address an issue with the search. Apparently the search only processes titles as they are inputted into the system and not how they actually appear. So for example, if I search “the milky way” I’ll get no results. On the other hand, just “milky way” gets three results. Same for “milky way, the.” Might wanna fix that. So I fear that searching for artist names might conjure up the same problems. Most people would search “Chuck Jones,” not “Jones, Chuck.”
  • Studio names
  • Series names
  • Television series listings (i.e., The Bugs Bunny Show)

There should be an option to search all of these at once and exclude some from results (i.e., if you wanted character names and cartoon names only).

I imagine it being implemented similar to the (hard-to-find) search page on Fandom/Wikia sites. If you go to any Wikia/Fandom-hosted wiki, type something in the searchbar, and click on the little blue arrow instead of clicking Enter, you’ll go there. Then, click on “Advanced” in the upper-right corner and you’ll find a slew of options that show which namespaces you can search. For example, you can search for everything, only search talk pages, etc.
thanks 1 user thanked PopKorn Kat for this useful post.
eutychus on 3/9/2017(UTC)
eutychus  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 9, 2017 6:35:26 AM(UTC)
eutychus

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Administrators, Moderator, WebsiteAdmin
Man
United States

Was thanked: 316 time(s) in 229 post(s)
Can you give me a specific example of what you might want to search for? It seems unnecessary to search for a character or artist since you can just look them up in the indexes. Or am I missing something?
PopKorn Kat  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 9, 2017 7:38:36 AM(UTC)
PopKorn Kat

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Moderator, Beta Tester
Woman

Was thanked: 198 time(s) in 161 post(s)
Yeah, the index already exists and one can just use the “Find” command. Good point. The main reason I suggested this feature was to make things easier. :P

As for what I might want to search for, I might want to search for every film Chuck Jones directed, or every person with the name “chuck,” but again, I can use the index.