Beauty and the Beast 35mm - Help needed - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
titanic  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2017 1:47:01 AM(UTC)
titanic

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hello.
I'm not sure if something like this is permitted here (i didn't see anything in the rules), but if you feel it's not right, please remove the thread.

So, you all animation fans know about the Disney "restoration" process of its classic animation films, and of course Beauty and the Beast couldn't escape that fate!
Along with the degraining* many colors were radically altered from its original theatrical presentation in the DVD/Bluray releases.

Someone has bought a good looking 35mm print (in Italian language) and we're looking for funds to help scan and preserve this gorgeous film.
(of course the English audio will be added in the scan)

You can read more info and see pictures here:
http://originaltrilogy.com/topi...5mm-Help-Needed/id/49105

*Of course Beauty and the Beast was a CAPS film, and the bluray is supposed to use the original computer files, but still it's different from its theatrical presentation with the grain that in my opinion gives life to the film.

Edited by user Tuesday, February 21, 2017 1:53:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked titanic for this useful post.
Valeyard on 2/28/2017(UTC), MichaelWatts1990 on 8/13/2018(UTC)
ToonStar95  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 9:31:21 AM(UTC)
ToonStar95

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Man
United States

Was thanked: 116 time(s) in 92 post(s)
Yeah, there's a certain magic in watching film. I once attended a 35mm fest of Mickey cartoons (B&W and color) and it felt great!
thanks 2 users thanked ToonStar95 for this useful post.
MichaelWatts1990 on 8/13/2018(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 8/14/2018(UTC)
Valeyard  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 9, 2017 10:34:37 AM(UTC)
Valeyard

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi guys. As titanic is aware, I've been busy buying up other Disney prints. BATB is just the beginning, and I'm hoping in the future to locate and scan an English language version so that we can preserve the film from start to finish including audio from film elements.

The film grain is a rather minor omission in the case of this film. Animations like BATB which were created digitally have less film grain on their theatrical prints than an ordinary 35mm feature because they film-out straight to the inter-negative which is then used to strike prints. They skip at least 2 generations of film, and the film they use is of a finer grain than camera film since it doesn't need to be able to shoot 24fps in real-time and can make use of higher quality longer exposure film. For that reason, CAPS animations are quite a bit sharper on film than previous Disney animated features.

With that said, no home video release is faithful to the look of the original. BATB is one of the most altered Disney films in terms of its look on home video. But no classic Disney animation looks right on Bluray, even though some are pretty close, and I hope to help to preserve the 35mm experience for all these classic films.

If anyone is interested in helping to preserve this film, please get in contact!
thanks 1 user thanked Valeyard for this useful post.
MichaelWatts1990 on 8/13/2018(UTC)
The Valeyard  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 8, 2017 7:28:46 AM(UTC)
The Valeyard

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Hi guys, as you may be aware I don't need additional funding anymore for this project, at least not until I find a second print to scan or something like that!

Scanning is currently underway, here are some screenshots (top is from the scan, middle the Bluray, and bottom the BD WIP stream). Thanks go to Avatar_Emil_Borg for the BD screencaps, and dbear for the WIP screencaps. Enjoy:

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users thanked The Valeyard for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 11/8/2017(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 11/8/2017(UTC), hombredesilla on 11/10/2017(UTC), MichaelWatts1990 on 8/13/2018(UTC), Nicholas DS on 8/19/2018(UTC)
MichaelWatts1990  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2018 5:11:56 AM(UTC)
MichaelWatts1990

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I saw these pictures on originaltrillogy.com and again here. I would be very interested in offering my assistance in restoring Disney's Beauty and the Beast, (a feat which I had vainly attempted to do with footage from the official Blu-Ray and DVD releases for roughly 7 years now).

Here's what I was able to do with the scans you have provided so far:
https://drive.google.com...nEPcUDNV8eJhF0uZAh8zRC8_

I also agree with your statement about the "magical" quality of a filmprint. I have my own theory for how this works, but it is far too technical and long-winded for me to type it out here.

If you would like to contact me about this or other films you'd like to try and restore, you can email me at: michaelwatts1990@ yahoo.com

I also have a page on Facebook where I have shared my opinions of many of Disney's restorations over the years, which you can view here:
https://m.facebook.com/S...374112568/?ref=bookmarks
MichaelWatts1990  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 15, 2018 3:05:08 AM(UTC)
MichaelWatts1990

United States

Here are some scaled-down versions of the aforementioned pictures:

thanks 1 user thanked MichaelWatts1990 for this useful post.
Nicholas DS on 8/19/2018(UTC)
Steve Stanchfield  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2018 2:08:32 AM(UTC)
Steve Stanchfield

Was thanked: 447 time(s) in 133 post(s)
Really nice scans, Vale! This looks almost identical to an original release print I may or may not own, or at least not admit to owning! I may or may not own the first theatrical version of Aladdin too, before the soundtrack changes.

My experience with Original Trilogy was less than stellar-- and the attitude of folks there sometimes. What happened with another title (and all the disparaging comments about me and sharing without permission by some people) has led me to be a little less willing these days, sadly!
thanks 4 users thanked Steve Stanchfield for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 8/16/2018(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 8/16/2018(UTC), MichaelWatts1990 on 8/31/2018(UTC), The Valeyard on 10/5/2018(UTC)
MichaelWatts1990  
#8 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2018 11:41:12 PM(UTC)
MichaelWatts1990

United States

Actually, that last set of images were posted by me. I would love to work with anyone who has original prints of Disney films that can be restored. You can email me whatever you're willing to share at michaelwatts1990@yahoo.com