Random Looney Tunes Thoughts- Page 6 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
6 Pages«<456
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Looney Turtles  
#101 Posted : Sunday, May 21, 2017 3:24:45 PM(UTC)
Looney Turtles

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 13 post(s)
"Big House Bunny" is going to air on the 27th, according to this: http://schedule.adultswi...5/27/17&timeZone=EST

According to my Charter, it's also airing again a few days later, so I guess it's officially being added to the rotation?
Feel free to check out my new Looney Tunes board here: http://s15.zetaboards.co...ooney_Tunes_Board/index/
nickramer  
#102 Posted : Sunday, May 21, 2017 7:58:32 PM(UTC)
nickramer

Groups: Registered, Researcher

Was thanked: 178 time(s) in 147 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Looney Turtles Go to Quoted Post
"Big House Bunny" is going to air on the 27th, according to this: http://schedule.adultswi...5/27/17&timeZone=EST

According to my Charter, it's also airing again a few days later, so I guess it's officially being added to the rotation?

I wonder if this short will be added on the Boomerang App this week among others that were teased on their Facebook page .

Edited by user Sunday, May 28, 2017 1:36:56 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

speedy fast  
#103 Posted : Sunday, May 28, 2017 10:32:31 AM(UTC)
speedy fast

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

According to The Bugs Bunny Video Guide, the reason why there was a fifth Golden Age of Looney Tunes laserdisc - five years after the fourth, which was originally intended to be the last - was because of the "dubbed versions", so Turner could recoup the costs of making those dubbed versions.

But with that in mind, I wonder why they didn't make some new VHS compilations. Perhaps some new Bugs, Daffy, and Porky compilations, maybe also an Elmer Fudd, maybe an all-stars release or two, but instead, they just put out one four-disc laserdisc set, with mostly one-shots, hardly any main characters (just a few Bugs Bunny bonus features), and pretty much the bottom of the barrel (as the fourth volume pretty much topped off everything MGM/UA felt needed to be released that the company owned and was willing to release).

A few six-volume compilation ideas, using only cartoons from Turner's pre-1948 package:

Bugs Bunny - Wabbit Trouble, What's Cookin', Doc?, The Case of the Missing Hare, Hare Trigger, Racketeer Rabbit, Baseball Bugs.
Daffy Duck - Daffy Duck in Hollywood, Duck Soup to Nuts, Yankee Doodle Daffy, Ain't That Ducky?, Daffy Duck and the Dinosaur, Nasty Quacks.
Porky Pig and Friends - Little Orphan Airdale, Tick Tock Tuckered, One Meat Brawl, I Love to Singa, Scent-Imental over You, Pigs is Pigs.
Elmer Fudd and Friends - A Corny Concerto, The Wabbit Who Came to Supper, An Itch in Time, To Duck or Not to Duck, Egghead Rides Again, The Dangerous Dan McFoo.
Sylvester and Tweety and Friends - Tweetie Pie, Birdy and the Beast, Peck Up Your Troubles, The Aristo-Cat, The Dover Boys, Hollywood Steps Out.
Foghorn Leghorn and Henery Hawk and Friends - Walky Talky Hawky, The Squakin' Hawk, The Early Worm Gets the Bird, Crowing Pains, A Day at the Zoo, Robin Hood Makes Good.
All-Stars #1 - Red Hot Ryder, A Pest in the House, Swooner Cwooner, A Tail of Two Kitties, Little Red Walking Hood, Bucineer Bunny.
All-Stars #2 - Rabbit Transit, Odor-Able Kitten, Sniffles Bells the Cat, Elmer's Pet Rabbit, Baby Bottlenect, The Coo-Coo Nut Groove.
Cool_Cat  
#104 Posted : Monday, May 29, 2017 2:19:10 AM(UTC)
Cool_Cat

Groups: Registered
Italy

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nickramer Go to Quoted Post
Wasn't that officially released on one of the TCM DVDs?

As far as I know that DVD uses the older transfer.
speedy fast  
#105 Posted : Sunday, August 6, 2017 12:10:00 AM(UTC)
speedy fast

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

Something has recently occurred to me.

The Road Runner series, under Chuck Jones' direction, rarely had any distinctive plots (just the cartoons spawned from The Adventures of Road Runner and Freeze Frame), and they lasted for many years and cartoons in spite of that.

This actually feels appropriate considering it is Wile E. Coyote's obsession to catch the Road Runner. He's been obsessively after the Road Runner for years, and we've continued to get more and more new Road Runner cartoons even if they don't add any kind of plot or running theme.

In fact, the Road Runner seems like one of those special series to keep getting more. Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote were among the few classic characters to keep going in classic cartoons after Warner Bros. shut down its animation studio in 1963. When they started making television specials comprised of new shorts, we got two Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote shorts, while the other made-for-TV cartoons starred either Bugs or Daffy, depending on who was headlining those specials. Two Road Runner cartoons that were pretty much what Chuck Jones would have given us back in the classic years (well, Freeze Frame kind of had a plot). Those Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck specials didn't bring us any brand-new, say, Sylvester and Tweety or Foghorn Leghorn cartoons. I mean, those characters did appear in some of the shorts, but they were basically crossovers/cameos, not their own shorts that didn't feature Bugs or Daffy.

And after Warner Bros. started producing new Looney Tunes shorts for theatrical releases since the 1980s, Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote seem to be among the most-used of that period. Chuck Jones gave us his last Road Runner cartoon in 1994, which feels more like the kind of short we could have gotten in the '50s or '60s than any of the other post-1988 shorts, Little Go Beep is seen as one of those great later shorts, Wizzard of Ow was the only one of the 2003 shorts that was available on DVD for a long time, and we've gotten four CGI Road Runner shorts in theaters. Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote are able to keep on going.

Of course, the fact that the cartoons are easy to produce and animate due to the Road Runner's speed (and somebody else pointed out to me that the cartoons usually don't require dialogue or voice actors) could be part of it as well.