Random Looney Tunes Thoughts- Page 5 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
6 Pages«<3456>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead  
#81 Posted : Saturday, April 22, 2017 11:06:53 AM(UTC)
Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/3/2015(UTC)
Posts: 129

Thanks: 39 times
Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: speedy fast Go to Quoted Post

I've recently noticed that two of the three Looney Tunes specials to consist of brand-new shorts - Bugs Bunny's Looney Christmas Tales and Bugs Bunny's Busting Out All Over - don't feature Daffy Duck at all. I feel he should have at least been in Bugs Bunny's Christmas Carol, perhaps with the other characters who get to be carolers. As the second most important Looney Tunes character, he should have appeared in the Christmas special.

But then again, Bugs Bunny doesn't appear at all in Daffy Duck's Easter Egg-Citement, and Daffy appears in all three shorts in that (while the two Bugs Bunny specials have a Road Runner cartoon each). Perhaps they did that to make up for the lack of Daffy in those specials (as well as giving Daffy another special with Daffy Duck's Thanks-for-Giving Special, which also did not feature Bugs Bunny in any way).

Seems like the two Bugs Bunny specials have sort of a structure. They both have one cartoon with Bugs and one of his long-running foes (Yosemite Sam, Elmer Fudd), though Bugs Bunny's Christmas Carol also feels more like a big all-stars crossover short as well, and they both have one cartoon pairing Bugs with one of his more popular foes who didn't appear in many classic shorts (Tasmanian Devil, Marvin the Martian), AND both specials include a new Road Runner cartoon. Though one special has the Road Runner cartoon in the middle while the other closes with it (I feel Soup or Sonic should have been in the middle of Bugs Bunny's Bustin' Out All Over instead of the end - and the ending of the first short, with a baby Coyote chasing a baby Road Runner, would have made for a great segue into the Road Runner short). And to compare things further, both specials contain one Bugs Bunny short (not counting Bugs Bunny's Christmas Carol) to contain a cameo by a classic character (Speedy Gonzales in The Fright Before Christmas, and Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote in Portrait of the Artist as a Young Bunny - and in addition to the baby versions, that short also has a cameo by the regular adult version of Wile E. Coyote).

And to take things a step further, both made-for-TV Marvin the Martian shorts from 1980 also feature a large monster character who wasn't in many classic shorts (with Gossammer in the Duck Dodgers sequel and The Abominable Snow Man in Spaced-Out Bunny), and in both shorts the monster characters are given their names (with Gossammer becoming the monster's official name, while the Abominable Snow Man would never be called Hugo again, but then again, he didn't go on to appear in merchandise or later Looney Tunes productions like Gossammer would), and ironically, Marvin the Martian was not referred to by name in either of those shorts (and he was named by 1979, his name appears on his portrait in The Bugs Bunny-Road Runner Movie).

And with Bugs Bunny's Bustin' Out All Over, are the wrap-arounds really necessary? They could have just shown the three shorts without Bugs' introductions (especially since the cartoons don't have title cards). The Bugs Bunny segments all seem to have the same setting anyways. The wrap-arounds in the other two specials feel more necessary.

And it's interesting how Bugs Bunny's Bustin' Out All Over is meant to be a spring special, when one of the shorts takes place on the last day of school before Summer vacation (which, depending on what part of the world it is, could be either the end of Spring or the start of Summer).

Not to mention the all-new specials were NOT made by the WB cartoon studiooo prope i..e, they were made by the brtanche doff Jones and DF studios, while two those two and the in-house WB studio al did the cut and paste shorts that mixed full or incomplete old shorts with new film to tell a "complete story". ;)
nickramer  
#82 Posted : Saturday, April 22, 2017 11:17:23 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Joined: 10/16/2014(UTC)
Posts: 732

Thanks: 12 times
Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 135 post(s)
Originally Posted by: speedy fast Go to Quoted Post

I've recently noticed that two of the three Looney Tunes specials to consist of brand-new shorts - Bugs Bunny's Looney Christmas Tales and Bugs Bunny's Busting Out All Over - don't feature Daffy Duck at all. I feel he should have at least been in Bugs Bunny's Christmas Carol, perhaps with the other characters who get to be carolers. As the second most important Looney Tunes character, he should have appeared in the Christmas special.




To be honest, I didn't noticed that Daffy wasn't in the Christmas special until you mentioned it. I guess the duck must've been on migration duty that night.

Edited by user Sunday, April 23, 2017 1:31:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Looney Turtles  
#83 Posted : Saturday, April 22, 2017 5:04:49 PM(UTC)
Looney Turtles

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/5/2016(UTC)
Posts: 45
United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: speedy fast Go to Quoted Post

Today, a thought came through my head. The answer is probably no, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, back when the Looney Tunes shorts were airing on TNT, TBS, and Cartoon Network, were there any scenes that were cut on one of those channels that were left uncut on the other channels?


That reminds me, I really miss the days when Looney Tunes were airing on all kinds of channels. At one point, they were airing on the three channels you mentioned, plus Nickelodeon, ABC and The WB, all at the same time.
Feel free to check out my new Looney Tunes board here: http://s15.zetaboards.co...ooney_Tunes_Board/index/
speedy fast  
#84 Posted : Sunday, April 23, 2017 11:23:18 AM(UTC)
speedy fast

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Joined: 1/4/2017(UTC)
Posts: 95
United States

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

For about a year, I've noticed that with most of the characters, there seems to be a certain style for the titles of their cartoons.

Pretty much every Bugs Bunny cartoon title has the words "bunny", "hare", or "rabbit" (or "wabbit", if Elmer Fudd co-stars), if it doesn't have Bugs Bunny's name in the title. And there's three titles that are variations of his catch phrase (with one of them being "What's Up, Doc?").

Pretty much all Daffy Duck cartoon titles either have his name or some word relating to a duck. It could be "duck", or a variation of the word "quack". Though very few Bugs and Daffy titles have this (instead, usually, just having a "style guide word" for what's used in Bugs Bunny titles). Other exceptions include The Impatient Patient, Thumb Fun, Boobs in the Woods, Dime to Retire, and many of the Daffy and Speedy cartoons (many of which have more to do with the plot).

Most Road Runner cartoon titles include puns on words involving speed. Occasionally, Road Runner or Coyote will be in the title (though there doesn't seem to be a "style guide" for Bugs and Coyote cartoon titles, aside from having a rabbit-like word), and a few have some variant of the word "beep". Some of the post-1964 Road Runner cartoon titles (Chasers on the Rocks, Boulder Wham, Sugar and Spies) are exceptions.

Pepe le Pew titles tend to either be an odor-based pun or involve some kind of French word. Meanwhile, most Speedy Gonzales cartoon titles (before Speedy began teaming up with Daffy Duck) have some kind of Mexican word in the title (Cat-Tails for Two is an exception). A number of Speedy shorts (especially in the Daffy and Speedy era) have words like "mouse", "mice", or "rodent".

Nearly all Tweety cartoon titles include a word relating to a bird (if not a variation on Tweety's name, usually used as a pun) or a cat. Likewise, many Sylvester cartoons (with or without Tweety) have a cat-based word (Kitty Kornered, Catty Cornered, Trip for Tat, Claws for Alarm). Some exceptions regarding Sylvester cartoons include Speedy Gonzales, Crowing Pains, Pop 'Im Pop, The Wild Chase, and Heir Conditioned (though many of these titles do involve certain words associated with the titles of cartoons with other characters).

Most Foghorn Leghorn cartoon titles have words relating to roosters or chickens, sometimes a pun on crowing, sometimes an egg-related pun, and a good number of them also include the word "Leghorn" (like Broken Leghorn, Leghorn Swoggled, The Leghorn Blows at Midnight, A Fractured Leghorn, and of course, The Foghorn Leghorn). Some exceptions include Walky Talky Hawky, Banty Raids, Fox Teror, The High and the Flighty, Little Boy Boo, and the three cartoons with the weasel (though most of those titles involve the animal that the antagonist is).

However, Porky Pig and Elmer Fudd cartoons generally don't have a "style guide". Closest thing would be their names being in the titles (and during the late-1930s, it was common for Porky's name to be in the title, but it was also just as common for his name to not be in the title), or some of Elmer Fudd's cartoon with Bugs titles having rabbit spelled as wabbit. Of course exceptions are made depending on if they co-star Bugs, Daffy, Sylvester, or another character who typically has a certain thing in the titles (though it seems like there's quite a few Daffy and Porky cartoons to avoid the words often used in Daffy Duck cartoon titles). On a similar note, there's not really any kind of words/terms used in the titles of Yosemite Sam cartoons. Very few of them do not feature Bugs, but there's usually not any additional words for the Bugs and Sam shorts, and there's nothing in common with the titles of the two Yosemite Sam cartoons that do not feature Bugs.
speedy fast  
#85 Posted : Tuesday, April 25, 2017 10:45:05 AM(UTC)
speedy fast

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Joined: 1/4/2017(UTC)
Posts: 95
United States

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

The first home video collection to contain full, uncut WB shorts was the A Night at the Movies series, where each video focused on a year and included a feature film, Looney Tunes short, and other things to represent the movie theater-going experience.

But I feel like the concept of theming it by year would have worked better for a Looney Tunes video collection (maybe that should have been the concept for The Looney Tunes Video Show instead of just being a random selection of shorts).I have a feeling that Warner Home Video would have avoided volumes for 1930-1943, as that'd only be black and white cartoons (while Warner did release a few B&W shorts on the Golden Jubilee, I doubt they would want to release videos made up entirely of black and white shorts, and I think it's obvious WB wouldn't have released redrawn colorized shorts... maybe after the computer colorized versions were made), and maybe 1965-1969.

They could have maybe done two waves of videos, one for 1948-1953, another one for 1954-1960, and maybe a wave for 1961-1964 (and maybe beyond).

If not one of the early Looney Tunes home video collections, maybe it could have come out between the last Golden Jubilee tapes and the first Cartoon Cavalcade tapes. After the Golden Jubilee, Warner Home Video was making its Looney Tunes releases less for collectors, but still had a bit of a collectors quality to the tapes for a while. Warner was also starting to only include six cartoons on its releases (and then put out two collectiosn of five-cartoon releases before going back to six per tape), they could have selected six cartoons from a given year. It would have been a nice break from most video collections spotlighting a single major character (making it difficult to get one-shots and secondary characters whose filmographies weren't big enough to get their own video on video). This also would have been a novel idea in 1990 when Warner was celebrating Bugs Bunny's 50th birthday. MGM/UA put out a Bugs Bunny video collection in honor of the celebration, and at the time Warner Bros. was actually distributing MGM/UA Home Video releases. Perhaps the two companies could have planned a couple "by year" Bugs Bunny comilations, MGM/UA could put out a collection of videos spotlighting 1940-1948 (well, 1940 would have to have shared with 1941, as there's not many Bugs shorts from that year), and then Warner Home Video could have put out a slightly different Bugs Bunny collection for the years 1949-1964.

Of course a collection of videos themed around a particular year would not be done now, unless they managed to leave the year out of the title (and with that it'd feel more like a random "all stars" compilation), since Warner Bros. no longer wants to draw attention to what years its animated properties are from. But if Warner Home Video was to make such a collection, using only shorts that have already been remastered, I wonder how many years there are where less than 15 shorts have been remastered (not counting 1930 or 1969, as a lot less than 15 were released those years. I'm guessing 1967 and 1968 would be out of the question as well).

A few other video series that would have been interesting in the VHS era:
*A Warner Home Video "Bugs Bunny" collection, similar to MGM/UA's collection, but for post-1948 cartoons (one idea would be one revolving around Bugs Bunny as a celebrity, with such cartoons as What's Up, Doc?, This is a Life?, Person to Bunny, His Hare-Raising Tale, and A Star is Bored or Blooper Bunny).
*A Daffy Duck collection, similar to MGM/UA's Bugs Bunny collection (maybe even with titles paralelling the Bugs Bunny series).
*A "Bugs and Enemies" collection, spotlighting Bugs' encounters with various enemies (like "Bugs and Elmer", "Bugs and Sam", "Bugs and Daffy", maybe also "Bugs and Taz", "Bugs and Marvin", and "Bugs and Coyote", which all would have been the majority of their encounters).
*A "supporting characters collection", focusing on characters with very few shorts. As I said earlier, many of Warner Home Video's releases had either five or six shorts, and many of the characters with single-digit filmographies have less than six shorts (and when it comes to the post-1948 package, many have less). Perhaps volumes spotlighting Ralph Wolf and Sam Sheepdog, Marvin the Martian, Tasmanian Devil, Rocky and Mugsy, The Goofy Gophers. Charlie Dog, The Three Bears, Witch Hazel, maybe also Cool Cat and Merlin the Magic Mouse, with five cartoons per volume. And in cases where a character wasn't in enough cartoons (or wasn't in enough that Warner Bros. still held the rights to), fill it up with a one-shot or two.
*A "duos collection" (heck, this would be great for a DVD/Blu-ray release as well), with videos focusing on Bugs and Daffy, Bugs and Elmer, Bugs and Yosemite Sam, Daffy and Porky, Sylvester and Tweety, and Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote (and maybe Daffy and Speedy, Sylvester and Speedy, and Wolf and Sheepdog)
Looney Turtles  
#86 Posted : Wednesday, April 26, 2017 5:40:00 PM(UTC)
Looney Turtles

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/5/2016(UTC)
Posts: 45
United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 13 post(s)
The Cool Cat short "3 Ring Wing-Ding" is airing on May 1st (or technically, 2nd) on the 1 AM feed. They aired this last year during the time several rare shorts were shown. I'm shocked it's airing again.
Feel free to check out my new Looney Tunes board here: http://s15.zetaboards.co...ooney_Tunes_Board/index/
LuckyToon  
#87 Posted : Wednesday, April 26, 2017 11:55:34 PM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Joined: 12/14/2014(UTC)
Posts: 481
Man
United States

Thanks: 30 times
Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Looney Turtles Go to Quoted Post
The Cool Cat short "3 Ring Wing-Ding" is airing on May 1st (or technically, 2nd) on the 1 AM feed. They aired this last year during the time several rare shorts were shown. I'm shocked it's airing again.


Does this mean they are once again deciding to air the now rarely seen on TV Looney Tunes cartoons? I hope, since they need to start airing more like what they did before. It's already getting repetitive seeing the same cartoons on TV countless times.
Looney Turtles  
#88 Posted : Thursday, April 27, 2017 10:09:48 AM(UTC)
Looney Turtles

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/5/2016(UTC)
Posts: 45
United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LuckyToon Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Looney Turtles Go to Quoted Post
The Cool Cat short "3 Ring Wing-Ding" is airing on May 1st (or technically, 2nd) on the 1 AM feed. They aired this last year during the time several rare shorts were shown. I'm shocked it's airing again.


Does this mean they are once again deciding to air the now rarely seen on TV Looney Tunes cartoons? I hope, since they need to start airing more like what they did before. It's already getting repetitive seeing the same cartoons on TV countless times.


I don't know. They are still mostly airing the same shorts, but seem to be airing the rarer ones on a sporadic basis, with "Holiday for Drumsticks" (which recently aired again) and now this.

Feel free to check out my new Looney Tunes board here: http://s15.zetaboards.co...ooney_Tunes_Board/index/
nickramer  
#89 Posted : Thursday, April 27, 2017 8:26:38 PM(UTC)
nickramer

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Joined: 10/16/2014(UTC)
Posts: 732

Thanks: 12 times
Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 135 post(s)
Maybe they'll add some new shorts in the rotation when they are added in the Boomerang streaming service.
Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead  
#90 Posted : Thursday, April 27, 2017 9:29:57 PM(UTC)
Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/3/2015(UTC)
Posts: 129

Thanks: 39 times
Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: speedy fast Go to Quoted Post

For about a year, I've noticed that with most of the characters, there seems to be a certain style for the titles of their cartoons.

Pretty much every Bugs Bunny cartoon title has the words "bunny", "hare", or "rabbit" (or "wabbit", if Elmer Fudd co-stars), if it doesn't have Bugs Bunny's name in the title. And there's three titles that are variations of his catch phrase (with one of them being "What's Up, Doc?").

Pretty much all Daffy Duck cartoon titles either have his name or some word relating to a duck. It could be "duck", or a variation of the word "quack". Though very few Bugs and Daffy titles have this (instead, usually, just having a "style guide word" for what's used in Bugs Bunny titles). Other exceptions include The Impatient Patient, Thumb Fun, Boobs in the Woods, Dime to Retire, and many of the Daffy and Speedy cartoons (many of which have more to do with the plot).

Most Road Runner cartoon titles include puns on words involving speed. Occasionally, Road Runner or Coyote will be in the title (though there doesn't seem to be a "style guide" for Bugs and Coyote cartoon titles, aside from having a rabbit-like word), and a few have some variant of the word "beep". Some of the post-1964 Road Runner cartoon titles (Chasers on the Rocks, Boulder Wham, Sugar and Spies) are exceptions.

Pepe le Pew titles tend to either be an odor-based pun or involve some kind of French word. Meanwhile, most Speedy Gonzales cartoon titles (before Speedy began teaming up with Daffy Duck) have some kind of Mexican word in the title (Cat-Tails for Two is an exception). A number of Speedy shorts (especially in the Daffy and Speedy era) have words like "mouse", "mice", or "rodent".

Nearly all Tweety cartoon titles include a word relating to a bird (if not a variation on Tweety's name, usually used as a pun) or a cat. Likewise, many Sylvester cartoons (with or without Tweety) have a cat-based word (Kitty Kornered, Catty Cornered, Trip for Tat, Claws for Alarm). Some exceptions regarding Sylvester cartoons include Speedy Gonzales, Crowing Pains, Pop 'Im Pop, The Wild Chase, and Heir Conditioned (though many of these titles do involve certain words associated with the titles of cartoons with other characters).

Most Foghorn Leghorn cartoon titles have words relating to roosters or chickens, sometimes a pun on crowing, sometimes an egg-related pun, and a good number of them also include the word "Leghorn" (like Broken Leghorn, Leghorn Swoggled, The Leghorn Blows at Midnight, A Fractured Leghorn, and of course, The Foghorn Leghorn). Some exceptions include Walky Talky Hawky, Banty Raids, Fox Teror, The High and the Flighty, Little Boy Boo, and the three cartoons with the weasel (though most of those titles involve the animal that the antagonist is).

However, Porky Pig and Elmer Fudd cartoons generally don't have a "style guide". Closest thing would be their names being in the titles (and during the late-1930s, it was common for Porky's name to be in the title, but it was also just as common for his name to not be in the title), or some of Elmer Fudd's cartoon with Bugs titles having rabbit spelled as wabbit. Of course exceptions are made depending on if they co-star Bugs, Daffy, Sylvester, or another character who typically has a certain thing in the titles (though it seems like there's quite a few Daffy and Porky cartoons to avoid the words often used in Daffy Duck cartoon titles). On a similar note, there's not really any kind of words/terms used in the titles of Yosemite Sam cartoons. Very few of them do not feature Bugs, but there's usually not any additional words for the Bugs and Sam shorts, and there's nothing in common with the titles of the two Yosemite Sam cartoons that do not feature Bugs.

I read this last night, very good point about what you said..some of the Goofy Gophers and the entire 3 Bears series had tittles relating to the character types..

Looney Turtles  
#91 Posted : Friday, April 28, 2017 11:42:44 AM(UTC)
Looney Turtles

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/5/2016(UTC)
Posts: 45
United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nickramer Go to Quoted Post
Maybe they'll add some new shorts in the rotation when they are added in the Boomerang streaming service.


Well, they've already added "Holiday for Drumsticks" to the Boomerang stream service. I wonder if they would do the same for "3 Ring Wing-Ding".
Feel free to check out my new Looney Tunes board here: http://s15.zetaboards.co...ooney_Tunes_Board/index/
LuckyToon  
#92 Posted : Friday, April 28, 2017 10:26:03 PM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Joined: 12/14/2014(UTC)
Posts: 481
Man
United States

Thanks: 30 times
Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Looney Turtles Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: nickramer Go to Quoted Post
Maybe they'll add some new shorts in the rotation when they are added in the Boomerang streaming service.


Well, they've already added "Holiday for Drumsticks" to the Boomerang stream service. I wonder if they would do the same for "3 Ring Wing-Ding".


As well as the remaining W7 cartoons, if they feel the need to include all the Cool Cat and Merlin the Magic Mouse cartoons on the stream.
nickramer  
#93 Posted : Friday, April 28, 2017 10:39:07 PM(UTC)
nickramer

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Joined: 10/16/2014(UTC)
Posts: 732

Thanks: 12 times
Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 135 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Looney Turtles Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: nickramer Go to Quoted Post
Maybe they'll add some new shorts in the rotation when they are added in the Boomerang streaming service.


Well, they've already added "Holiday for Drumsticks" to the Boomerang stream service. I wonder if they would do the same for "3 Ring Wing-Ding".


What about the '40's cartoons they teased on their Facebook page ("The Great Piggy Bank Robbery", "Racketeer Rabbit") that have yet to appear on their streaming service?
speedy fast  
#94 Posted : Saturday, April 29, 2017 11:41:37 AM(UTC)
speedy fast

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Joined: 1/4/2017(UTC)
Posts: 95
United States

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead Go to Quoted Post

I read this last night, very good point about what you said..some of the Goofy Gophers and the entire 3 Bears series had tittles relating to the character types..



I was mostly talking about main character shorts, but many of the lesser-seen characters had some sort of style for their titles.

Ralph Wolf and Sam Sheepdog cartoon titles usually involved sheep.

Marc Anthony and Pussyfoot cartoons all had some form of cat in the title ("Feed the Kitty", "Kiss Me Cat", "Feline Frame-Up").

Inki's name was in the titles of all but the first Inki cartoons.

All Tasmanian Devil cartoons had the word "devil" in the title.

speedy fast  
#95 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2017 3:22:03 AM(UTC)
speedy fast

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Joined: 1/4/2017(UTC)
Posts: 95
United States

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

I've recently thought up a theory about Daffy Duck's hatred/rivalry of Bugs Bunny.

At the end of Porky Pig's Feat, which came out almost a decade before the first cartoon to star both Bugs and Daffy, Daffy refers to Bugs Bunny as his hero and is all positive about him. This is a huge contrast with his attitude about Bugs several years later, but it actually makes a bit of sense.

Daffy Duck saw Bugs as a hero, so when he was locked up in a hotel, he expected Bugs to be able to help him and Porky out. However, he was disappointed to find that Bugs was also locked up in the same hotel, unable to escape. Although they were eventually able to get out (or maybe this is a continuity where they stayed there until death), Daffy had become disillusioned that his hero could not help him. At the time, Daffy was more child-like, and would eventually act more like an adult later on. Being a hero-worshiping "child" who got his spirits broken by his own hero probably made him bitter over him, perhaps making him care that Bugs Bunny had more popularity and star power than him. With that, he'd really hate it when Bugs got top billing over him, and whenever it's duck season, Daffy would not only change the signs, but specifically make it rabbit season. Notice that he's not just content with changing the signs, but by making sure Elmer Fudd actually shoots Bugs (and in two of the "hunters trilogy" cartoons, Daffy manages to lure Bugs out of his hole right as Elmer is on his way to shoot).

Also, notice how in The Scarlett Pumpernickle, Bugs is not included. This is noted in the audio commentary that the title character is the only character suitable for Bugs to play, but also that Bugs is too competent for the role. In addition to that and the fact that this short came before Rabbit Fire,it could be said that Daffy did NOT want Bugs to be in his big movie (and therefore didn't imagine Bugs in any role).

It's a good-sounding theory.
thanks 1 user thanked speedy fast for this useful post.
Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead on 5/9/2017(UTC)
speedy fast  
#96 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2017 9:23:07 AM(UTC)
speedy fast

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Joined: 1/4/2017(UTC)
Posts: 95
United States

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I decided to figure out how many cartoons of each main Looney Tunes character has yet to be remastered.

Bugs Bunny - 47 out of 180 cartoons

Daffy Duck - 50 out of 130 cartoons

Porky Pig - 70 out of 160 cartoons (not counting reanimated/revoiced footage from Muchos Locos)

Elmer Fudd - 18 out of 63 cartoons (of course I'm not counting the Egghead cartoons as Elmer Fudd cartoons)

Yosemite Sam - 14 out of 35 cartoons

Road Runner - 15 out of 40 classic cartoons

Wile E. Coyote - 18 out of 45 classic cartoons

Foghorn Leghorn - 13 out of 29 classic cartoons (including cameo in False Hare)

Speedy Gonzales - 28 out of 45 cartoons

Sylvester - 41 out of 103 classic cartoons

Tweety - 22 out of 42 cartoons

I was only counting cartoons made before 1969. I didn't count All This and Rabbit Stew (which reportedly has been remastered, just unreleased) or the Bugs and Daffy cartoons that have only been released on DVD in widescreen (so before you ask why I noted 47 Bugs Bunny cartoons when The Bugs Bunny Video Guide's "Finish The Wabbit" campaign lists 60, that's why... though I didn't count the two Private Snafu cartoons where Bugs makes cameos, those likely won't be remastered for a Warner Home Video release... then again, I also wouldn't expect Any Bonds Today to be remastered, but am counting it among the unreleased shorts since The Bugs Bunny Video Guide has it on that list)

Also, with the Sylvester and Tweety cartoons, I did not count the cartoons that were restored for the Japanese I Love Tweety DVDs, as I don't know whether those restorations fit Warner Home Video's current criteria/standards for remastering. But if they do qualify as being "remastered", then change the above to 36 out of 103 Sylvester cartoons and 7 out of 42 Tweety cartoons (as 15 of the 30 cartoons spread across the three DVDs have not been released in the states).

Edited by user Tuesday, May 9, 2017 9:25:25 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead  
#97 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2017 12:01:36 PM(UTC)
Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/3/2015(UTC)
Posts: 129

Thanks: 39 times
Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: speedy fast Go to Quoted Post

I've recently thought up a theory about Daffy Duck's hatred/rivalry of Bugs Bunny.

At the end of Porky Pig's Feat, which came out almost a decade before the first cartoon to star both Bugs and Daffy, Daffy refers to Bugs Bunny as his hero and is all positive about him. This is a huge contrast with his attitude about Bugs several years later, but it actually makes a bit of sense.

Daffy Duck saw Bugs as a hero, so when he was locked up in a hotel, he expected Bugs to be able to help him and Porky out. However, he was disappointed to find that Bugs was also locked up in the same hotel, unable to escape. Although they were eventually able to get out (or maybe this is a continuity where they stayed there until death), Daffy had become disillusioned that his hero could not help him. At the time, Daffy was more child-like, and would eventually act more like an adult later on. Being a hero-worshiping "child" who got his spirits broken by his own hero probably made him bitter over him, perhaps making him care that Bugs Bunny had more popularity and star power than him. With that, he'd really hate it when Bugs got top billing over him, and whenever it's duck season, Daffy would not only change the signs, but specifically make it rabbit season. Notice that he's not just content with changing the signs, but by making sure Elmer Fudd actually shoots Bugs (and in two of the "hunters trilogy" cartoons, Daffy manages to lure Bugs out of his hole right as Elmer is on his way to shoot).

Also, notice how in The Scarlett Pumpernickle, Bugs is not included. This is noted in the audio commentary that the title character is the only character suitable for Bugs to play, but also that Bugs is too competent for the role. In addition to that and the fact that this short came before Rabbit Fire,it could be said that Daffy did NOT want Bugs to be in his big movie (and therefore didn't imagine Bugs in any role).

It's a good-sounding theory.


And the strange team of Daffy/Speedy.
As Mr.Semaj once said:

Mr.Semaj:
Two ironies from the Angry & Speedy series were:

1) One of the aforementioned causes behind the series' conception to
fulfill a TV distribution order. But due to incredibly low morale in entertainment,
they didn't want the series after all. (Money well spent...)

2) Daffy being one of the few mainstream Looney Tune characters who hadn't yet retired,
when he was perhaps the character in most need of retirement.

(hope you don';t mind the quote,Mr.S It's from the old TTTP/GAC forum)

Cool_Cat  
#98 Posted : Wednesday, May 10, 2017 7:13:24 PM(UTC)
Cool_Cat

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/28/2015(UTC)
Posts: 157
Italy

Thanks: 4 times
Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Fresh Hare has been restored, I saw a clip in one of the special features (now I'm too lazy to find it again :P).

I believe it was not released because of... you know why.
speedy fast  
#99 Posted : Saturday, May 13, 2017 3:27:39 AM(UTC)
speedy fast

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Joined: 1/4/2017(UTC)
Posts: 95
United States

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Cool_Cat Go to Quoted Post
Fresh Hare has been restored, I saw a clip in one of the special features (now I'm too lazy to find it again :P).

I believe it was not released because of... you know why.


That kind of thing also happens in Southern Fried Rabbit, which was released on DVD (though it's cut from the corresponding Spotlight Collection volume).

Between Wile E. Coyote's first and second animated appearances, he appeared in a Looney Tunes comic book story with Henery Hawk, where he is named Kelsey Coyote (he wouldn't be named Wile E. until his second animated appearance) and talks. What I wonder is, in that story, did he have his "super genius" personality, or was he written like an entirely different character?

Edited by user Saturday, May 13, 2017 3:29:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nickramer  
#100 Posted : Thursday, May 18, 2017 9:13:09 PM(UTC)
nickramer

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Joined: 10/16/2014(UTC)
Posts: 732

Thanks: 12 times
Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 135 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Cool_Cat Go to Quoted Post
Fresh Hare has been restored, I saw a clip in one of the special features (now I'm too lazy to find it again :P).

I believe it was not released because of... you know why.


Wasn't that officially released on one of the TCM DVDs?
Users browsing this topic
6 Pages«<3456>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error