Random Looney Tunes Thoughts- Page 3 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
6 Pages<12345>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Blob55  
#41 Posted : Wednesday, March 22, 2017 1:21:14 AM(UTC)
Blob55

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Does anyone know why WB won't release the rest of the LTMMs you can't buy on DVD/Blu-Ray, online? I'm sick of watching them at 240p!
LuckyToon  
#42 Posted : Wednesday, March 22, 2017 7:22:27 AM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Man
United States

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Blob55 Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone know why WB won't release the rest of the LTMMs you can't buy on DVD/Blu-Ray, online? I'm sick of watching them at 240p!

It's because WB has no restoration budget for to remaster the remaining Looney Tunes cartoons for DVD and/or Blu Ray releases. This happened because the Looney Tunes home video releases from 2012 and 2013 (Mouse Chronicles,Super Stars Porky and Sylvester & Hippity Hopper, and Platinum Collection volumes 2 & 3) didn't sell well.

And it doesn't help that Wabbit is getting low ratings on the episodes that were aired exclusively on Boomerang (a channel which not that many people own).

But now that Boomerang will soon be launching an online streaming service, lets hope that the remaining un-aired episodes of Wabbit, as well as the upcoming second season "New Looney Tunes" will see the light, and will earn WB more money for the restoration budget.
Mario500  
#43 Posted : Wednesday, March 22, 2017 8:20:07 PM(UTC)
Mario500

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LuckyToon Go to Quoted Post

But now that Boomerang will soon be launching an online streaming service, lets hope that the remaining un-aired episodes of Wabbit, as well as the upcoming second season "New Looney Tunes" will see the light, and will earn WB more money for the restoration budget.

What did you mean by "second season 'New Looney Tunes' "?

Edited by user Wednesday, March 22, 2017 8:21:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

speedy fast  
#44 Posted : Wednesday, March 22, 2017 9:07:52 PM(UTC)
speedy fast

United States

Yeah, the Facebook page for The Bugs Bunny Video Guide has expressed hope that the Boomerang streaming service will allow for more cartoons to be restored. I'm also hoping that the release of Space Jam 2 will allow/motivate Warner to remaster more cartoons (anybody know when Space jam 2 is expected to come out?). I know that Warner Bros. was remastering more Popeye cartoons and planning a new Popeye release when that CGI movie comes out, but then postponed work on that release until they knew if the movie was still going to be made (and I think it was later announced that Sony still plans to move forward with that film).

A promo for the Boomerang streaming service shows clips from remastered cartoons. I wonder if it'll only show remastered shorts or if it'll also show the same off-the-shelf copies used for Cartoon Network and Boomerang (even if they do remaster more cartoons, I don't think they'd remaster EVERY needed cartoon that they are willing to show right away).

Ten years ago, Warner Bros. made Looney Tunes shorts available as part of its in2tv service. Anybody know whether the cartoons featured that were remastered were the remastered versions or off-the-shelf copies? I know it did include cartoons that were on DVD, but I only bothered to watch cartoons that were not yet on DVD.
LuckyToon  
#45 Posted : Thursday, March 23, 2017 12:54:06 AM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Mario500 Go to Quoted Post

That's the second season of Wabbit, but with a title change. It will no longer be called Wabbit since Porky and Daffy were added to the un-aired season 1 episodes, with their own episodes not featuring Bugs Bunny.
thanks 1 user thanked LuckyToon for this useful post.
Mario500 on 3/23/2017(UTC)
LuckyToon  
#46 Posted : Thursday, March 23, 2017 1:02:21 AM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: speedy fast Go to Quoted Post

I'm also hoping that the release of Space Jam 2 will allow/motivate Warner to remaster more cartoons (anybody know when Space jam 2 is expected to come out?). I know that Warner Bros. was remastering more Popeye cartoons and planning a new Popeye release when that CGI movie comes out, but then postponed work on that release until they knew if the movie was still going to be made (and I think it was later announced that Sony still plans to move forward with that film).

I don't know if Space Jam 2 will ever happen, since the predicament on the film is scheduled to start production soon hasn't happened yet.

But I will tell you that the CGI Popeye film was cancel just so Sony Pictures Animation can make the notorious upcoming EMOJI MOVIE!!.d'oh!
nickramer  
#47 Posted : Thursday, March 23, 2017 1:46:11 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Was thanked: 178 time(s) in 147 post(s)
About the cartoons on the Boomerang stream, according to a reliable source, the cartoons will NOT be the restored DVD/Blu-Ray prints. It will be the same prints that Cartoon Network/Boomerang has on hand. I just want to forewarn you if Jerry mentions this on "Stu's Show".
Mario500  
#48 Posted : Thursday, March 23, 2017 6:24:50 AM(UTC)
Mario500

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 18 post(s)

That's the second season of Wabbit, but with a title change. It will no longer be called Wabbit since Porky and Daffy were added to the un-aired season 1 episodes, with their own episodes not featuring Bugs Bunny.

It sounded like a separate program or series in my mind.

Edited by user Thursday, March 23, 2017 6:26:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

speedy fast  
#49 Posted : Thursday, March 23, 2017 10:45:04 AM(UTC)
speedy fast

United States

I wonder how feasible it would be to put Lumber Jack Rabbit on a 3D Blu-Ray in its 3D form. The short has been remastered, but would it require too much more work to put it in 3D, like having to remaster it a second time to put it in 3D, or would converting it to 3D be as cheap/easy as, say, converting an old film to 3D?

For the past year, I've thought it would be cool if Warner Home Video would put out a special 3D Blu-ray release (though I don't have a 3D Blu-ray player) of all the Looney Tunes shorts made in 3D. Lumber Jack Rabbit, Marvin the Martian in the Third Dimension, and all of the CGI shorts. I wonder how long that would last. And as ideal bonus features (especially if Marvin the Martian in the Third Dimension is presented as the main attraction), it could include the specials Bugs Bunny in Outer Space and Bugs Bunny's Lunar Tunes.
LuckyToon  
#50 Posted : Thursday, March 23, 2017 11:56:47 PM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

It sounded like a separate program or series in my mind.

Don't ask why they changed the name since WB Animation is responsible for the name change.
LuckyToon  
#51 Posted : Friday, March 24, 2017 12:04:51 AM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: nickramer Go to Quoted Post
About the cartoons on the Boomerang stream, according to a reliable source, the cartoons will NOT be the restored DVD/Blu-Ray prints. It will be the same prints that Cartoon Network/Boomerang has on hand. I just want to forewarn you if Jerry mentions this on "Stu's Show".

Well that sucks, this will mean the streaming service will mostly have the same PAL prints of the post-1948 cartoons that CN and Boomerang aired since. And I bet it will also have the same shelf Turner prints of not only the Tom & Jerry cartoons, but also the Turner prints of the Barney Bear, Droopy, and Tex Avery directed MGM cartoons. So don't expect all the cartoons uncensored, since most of them will have the same censorships as seen on CN and Boomerang back in the day.

Edited by user Friday, March 24, 2017 12:08:36 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

speedy fast  
#52 Posted : Friday, March 24, 2017 11:59:43 AM(UTC)
speedy fast

United States

According to a goldenagecartoons.com Facebook post, not only will the Boomerang app use off-the-shelf cartoons, but they will also all be cropped into widescreen. Everything on the app will be presented as widescreen (not just the shorts).

Edited by user Friday, March 24, 2017 12:02:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LuckyToon  
#53 Posted : Friday, March 24, 2017 8:22:51 PM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

According to a goldenagecartoons.com Facebook post, not only will the Boomerang app use off-the-shelf cartoons, but they will also all be cropped into widescreen. Everything on the app will be presented as widescreen (not just the shorts).

Man, they just care about fitting them to 16:9 instead of just simply adding black boarders on the sides. Can't they realize that cropping whatever in widescreen takes away the picture? It makes them look like crap (just as much as the first 2 Super Stars DVD releases, and the Chuck Jones Tom & Jerry Complete Set).
nickramer  
#54 Posted : Sunday, March 26, 2017 9:46:32 PM(UTC)
nickramer

Was thanked: 178 time(s) in 147 post(s)

Man, they just care about fitting them to 16:9 instead of just simply adding black boarders on the sides. Can't they realize that cropping whatever in widescreen takes away the picture? It makes them look like crap (just as much as the first 2 Super Stars DVD releases, and the Chuck Jones Tom & Jerry Complete Set).

I didn't know the latter set was cropped. Where'd you hear that?
LuckyToon  
#55 Posted : Sunday, March 26, 2017 11:56:49 PM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: nickramer Go to Quoted Post

I didn't know the latter set was cropped. Where'd you hear that?

Yep they were cropped, and this was during 2009, up to 2011 when WB wanted to crop the mid-50's and 60's cartoons since they thought that's how they were shown in theaters at the time when they were released. It's true, since making animation in widescreen at that time was so difficult due to the wider space you have, so they made them in fullscreen, and the theaters would crop them to fit the widescreen.

I heard about this since I saw reviews and screenshots of those DVD releases containing crop widescreen versions of those cartoons on the internet.
Cool_Cat  
#56 Posted : Monday, March 27, 2017 5:15:02 PM(UTC)
Cool_Cat

Italy

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Those shorts in the Super Stars DVDs were not just cropped in 16:9, but they did a Pan & Scan in 16:9. Pretty much they moved the position of the video at every scene.

And also, the Boomerang streaming service will mostly not be cropped. Only one video on their Facebook page was, but that doesn't mean anything.

In any case, if anyone wants rare shorts contact me privately. This channel here in Italy has more variety than Boomerang USA.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Edited by user Friday, March 31, 2017 1:46:31 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

speedy fast  
#57 Posted : Thursday, March 30, 2017 8:55:03 AM(UTC)
speedy fast

United States

At the beginning of Design for Leaving, when Daffy gets Elmer onto a bus, the back of the bus says "Duluth Express Non-Stop", and Elmer gets a ride home from a truck with "Duluth" written on it. But is there any significance to Duluth? I'm guessing maybe it's out of town from where Elmer lives (possibly even making him miss work), but they never say where Elmer lives, and since he clearly gets home on the same day, before nighttime (in fact it's still daytime outside at the very end), it obviously wasn't too far away.

It's also interesting that Elmer had to hitch a ride home, why not just take a bus back (unless he didn't have any money.... but did Daffy give money to the bus driver when he put Elmer on the bus?).

Also, it says "non-stop", but obviously it did stop at Elmer's house, and there should have been other bus stops (that Elmer could get off on), if the bus didn't need rest stops.
LuckyToon  
#58 Posted : Thursday, March 30, 2017 11:55:30 AM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Cool_Cat Go to Quoted Post
In any case, if anyone wants rare shorts contact me privately. This channel here in Italy has more variety than Boomerang USA.

Yeah, it's not fair that Boomerang isn't airing as much variety of the classic Looney Tunes anymore. And it's even worse that the cartoons are only having re-runs on Boomerang and not Cartoon Network now a days.

Anyways, it's good that the Italian channel there airs many classic Looney Tunes that have yet to be released on DVD and/or Blu Ray in america, but the only minor issues are that they are in a different language (Italy language in this case), and not every cartoon is in NTSC, since the European countries always pitch up the soundtrack for the PAL region (although they sometimes air only sped up versions that retain their original pitch).
Cool_Cat  
#59 Posted : Friday, March 31, 2017 12:33:37 AM(UTC)
Cool_Cat

Italy

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Actually they have English audio except in some cases on that channel on the second audio track.

Then again, Boomerang Italy is absolute trash. Luckily FTA channels are good.

Edited by user Friday, March 31, 2017 12:40:24 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

speedy fast  
#60 Posted : Friday, March 31, 2017 4:09:25 AM(UTC)
speedy fast

United States

Yeah, it seems like for the last few years, whenever I've watched Looney Tunes on Cartoon Network (which hasn't been often), it seems like they've only played cartoons with Bugs, Daffy, Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote, Foghorn Leghorn, and maybe Sylvester and Tweety. On New Years 2016, there was a big Looney Tunes marathon, and those seemed to be the only characters included (well, I think it did show a few solo Sylvester cartoons, and the only Tweety cartoons I recall were Carrotblanca and Superior Duck, cartoons where he's not the star). No Porky without Daffy, no Elmer without Bugs or Daffy, no Speedy or Pepe le Pew (except for in Carrotblanca, of course), no minor characters or one-shots.