Coca-Cola Cartoon Commercials - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
twbf  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2016 7:07:27 PM(UTC)
twbf

Groups: Registered
Canada

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I collect Coca-Cola commercials and have recently expanded into Coca-Cola's animated shorts, probably made for the movies. These cartoons are thinly disguised as entertainment, but are really entertaining commercials. Can anyone set me straight on these releases or add information.

I also have three one-second cartoon clips from the Coca-Cola Museum in Atlanta that indicate more of these commercials were made - not necessarily by Minitoons or Walter Lantz. This is what I think I know:

... from 1940 - Minitoons/Cartoon Films, Ltd.

- "Pebble Punch"

There is also a test sketch of the Coca-Cola Sprite Boy on Minitoons-marked paper. I wonder if this indicates another cartoon that may or may not have been planned or made?

... from 1948 - Walter Lantz Productions

CC-A "The Mountain Flower" (English version is lost), but it is available in French as "La Fleur des Montagnes"
CC-B "Fisherman's Luck" (lost)
CC-C "Pirate's Treasure" (English version is lost), but it is available in French as "La Chasse Au Trésor" and the French version is available with Portuguese sub-titles as "A Caça Ao Tesouro"
CC-D "The Three Pigs" (English version is lost), but is available (recently found) in Italian as "I Tre Porcellini"

CC-E "The Wise Little Woodchopper" (lost)
CC-F (title unknown)
CC-G "The Gallant Tailor" (English version is lost), but is available in French as "Le Vaillant Tailleur"
CC-H "Aladdin's Lamp" (lost)
CC-I (title unknown)
CC-J (title unknown)
CC-K "Pancho's Rainbow" (English version is lost), but it is available (recently found) in Italian as "L'arcobaleno di Pancho"
CC-L "Jack And The Beanstalk" (lost)
CC-M "The Town Mouse And The Country Mouse" (lost)

"The Old Woman In The Shoe" (lost) is either CC-F, CC-I, or CC-J
"The Woodland Symphony" (lost) is either CC-F, CC-I, or CC-J

This would indicate that there MAY be another lost title OR one of the CC ids was not used.

... and from 1953 - Walter Lantz Productions

CC-1 "The Lion And The Mouse"
CC-2 "Ali Baba And The Thieves"
CC-3 "The Fox And The Grapes"
CC-4 "The Grasshopper And The Ants"
CC-5 "The Hound And The Rabbit"
CC-6 "Symphony Night"
CC-7 "The Tortoise And The Hare"
CC-8 "Little Red Riding Hood"

There are indications that another 1953 title, "Little Big Game Hunter" was produced or planned.

There are script translations for the 1953 commercials in French, Italian, Arabic, Afrikaans, Dutch-Flemish, Portuguese, and Spanish. It is probable that similar translations were given to the 1948 commercials, as well, since we already have some in French and Italian.

So, can anyone shed some light on these? Are the ones indicated as lost really lost? Were other Coca-Cola cartoons made by other studios? I found my copies on the internet, but am in the process of finding them in higher quality.

Thanks,

Brad

Edited by user Saturday, December 10, 2016 12:20:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

twbf  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2016 11:27:47 PM(UTC)
twbf

Canada

Hmmm...I was in the middle of responding to a reply here about stop-motion and I guess that reply was removed. Anyway, I know that stop-motion was used on a few Coke TV commercials, but I have found little evidence for this process in theatrical commercials EXCEPT for snack bar commercials for Coca-Cola and a few Italian commercials.

Anyway, here are the screen grabs of three characters from three different unidentified Coca-Cola cartoon commercials. Does anyone know where these are from?

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

I suspect that the first two are from the fifties or early sixties, while the third unknown is probably from the nineties or 21st century. All of these grabs are from a video taken by a cell-phone at the Coca-Cola Museum in Atlanta.

Brad

Edited by user Sunday, June 26, 2016 1:50:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nickramer  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 26, 2016 10:27:11 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Groups: Registered, Researcher

Was thanked: 189 time(s) in 155 post(s)
Regarding stop-motion, I know Art Clokey did some Coca-Cola commercials shortly before or after he did "Gumbasia". Unfortunately, none of have shown up on the Internet yet.
thanks 1 user thanked nickramer for this useful post.
twbf on 6/26/2016(UTC)
twbf  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2016 12:43:30 AM(UTC)
twbf

Canada

This stop-motion Coke ad is from 1953. Was this done by Art Clokey? Looking at the production summary, it looks like the above is only half the commercial.

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Monday, June 27, 2016 6:37:14 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nickramer  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2016 11:55:09 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Groups: Registered, Researcher

Was thanked: 189 time(s) in 155 post(s)
That looks like his style all right.
Gasmask Ted  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2016 8:05:04 PM(UTC)
Gasmask Ted

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I have a cel from the Little Red Riding Hood ad
http://tag.rubberslug.co...v_info.asp?ItemID=283675
thanks 1 user thanked Gasmask Ted for this useful post.
twbf on 6/27/2016(UTC)
twbf  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2016 7:39:40 PM(UTC)
twbf

Canada

Of the original 1948 Lantz cartoon commercials, only 5 have been found, I believe. Sadly, there are only foreign copies in French and Italian...no English language. Does anyone here know about English language versions of these 1948 cartoons? Do they still exist? Did Minitoons or other production companies make other Coca-Cola cartoon commercials?

P.S. If you know of anyone who might have the answers to my questions, please let me know. Thanks so much.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Edited by user Thursday, June 30, 2016 3:40:49 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Kretes96  
#8 Posted : Friday, July 1, 2016 3:58:38 AM(UTC)
Kretes96

Poland

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: twbf Go to Quoted Post

UserPostedImage

I suspect that the first two are from the fifties or early sixties, while the third unknown is probably from the nineties or 21st century. All of these grabs are from a video taken by a cell-phone at the Coca-Cola Museum in Atlanta.

That dog character from the last screencap is actually Barky from "Bad Dog" (a 1998 Canadian cartoon series made by Cinegroupe for Fox Kids).

thanks 1 user thanked Kretes96 for this useful post.
twbf on 7/1/2016(UTC)
twbf  
#9 Posted : Friday, July 1, 2016 4:37:56 AM(UTC)
twbf

Canada

Thanks so much....I concur, this is Barky from Bad Dog. So, why did Coca-Cola include a one-second clip of this in their Museum promo? Very strange....Makes me suspect, now of the other two images. From what I can see, in that Museum promo, Coca-Cola only included one segment from one of their 1953 Lantz-made cartoons (The Hound And The Rabbit) and ignored all of the 1948 cartoons.

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Saturday, July 2, 2016 10:39:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

User is suspended until 10/18/2045 7:30:21 AM(UTC) ParamountCartoons  
#10 Posted : Friday, July 1, 2016 5:41:33 AM(UTC)
ParamountCartoons

United States

Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Uhh....maybe he appeared in a Coke commercial or was originally sponsored in Canada by their country's Coca-Cola division.

Maybe he started out in commercials?
twbf  
#11 Posted : Friday, July 1, 2016 6:28:08 AM(UTC)
twbf

Canada

Yes, all of those are definite possibilities. The available video (10 minutes from a cell phone pointed at the theater screen) indicates that all the clips and scenes are from Coca-Cola animated commercials throughout the years (although, I did spot one Sprite clip). The focus of the video, though, is from the past 10 years. There is nothing from the '40s and barely anything from the '50s, except for that Hound and the Rabbit clip.

I will continue to dig for the answer to that Barky dog clip.

UPDATE: Found out that the cartoon series is based on a "screensaver" "Bad Dog" by Afterdark.

In Season 1 Episode 26, second cartoon, there is a reference to Coke, "No Cure For A Bad Dog" - Mr. Potanski has hiccups after drinking a Coke. Since I don't have access to this cartoon series, I can only guess if this is the connection.

Edited by user Saturday, July 2, 2016 11:37:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

twbf  
#12 Posted : Monday, July 18, 2016 10:05:52 PM(UTC)
twbf

Canada

I have just discovered a new Universal Pictures Coca-Cola cartoon commercial with a copyright of 1958. The cartoon in question is in German. In English, it is called The Hunter. The animation is rather crude, but it MIGHT be that 1953 Walter Lantz Production, "The Little Big Game Hunter." The 1958 copyright date is strange, because of the Coca-Cola Theme music that is used in the cartoon. This musical piece (used from 1930 to 1956, inclusively, for anything Coca-Cola) was totally dropped in April 1956 when the Coca-Cola advertising was taken over by McCann-Erickson. Also, I believe that the "live" portion at the end was added later and this might be why it has the 1958 copyright. The stand-up fox illustration at the end is so different from the cartoon fox.

The other thing about this cartoon is that it is horribly transferred with an obviously dirty lens or something in the projector and it has been captured on an angle by a hand-held cellphone by someone. Lots of jerkiness with poor audio. BUT, this has to be rare, in my opinion.

PLEASE, if you know anything about this, let's discuss it here.

Edited by user Wednesday, July 20, 2016 5:09:05 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked twbf for this useful post.
VoiceTalentBrendan on 7/18/2016(UTC)
twbf  
#13 Posted : Saturday, July 23, 2016 5:46:38 PM(UTC)
twbf

Canada

I asked the gentleman who posted The Hunter on YouTube if he had the top of the canister for the commercial. He does and this is what it looks like....please, can someone here provide any details about this? I now believe that this is a Walter Lantz production. Can anyone confirm this?

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Saturday, July 23, 2016 6:07:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

PopKorn Kat  
#14 Posted : Saturday, July 23, 2016 10:43:43 PM(UTC)
PopKorn Kat

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Administrators, Moderator, Beta Tester
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 246 time(s) in 184 post(s)
"Musical Miniatures" was a series of Walter Lantz cartoons released in the 1940s. They were musically-themed and there were only four of them. And no, they weren't commercials for anything. Just standalone theatrical shorts.

The fact that the title was used overseas for Coca-Cola commercials is new to me.
twbf  
#15 Posted : Saturday, July 23, 2016 10:58:09 PM(UTC)
twbf

Canada

So, did Universal produce their own cartoons or did they sub them out to other production companies? I know the quality of the cartoon presented here is absolutely horrible, but does it look like it might be a Walter Lantz cartoon? The thing that bugs me about this particular 1958 cartoon commercial is the old Coke themed music no longer used from 1956 onward and the added out of place live action at the end. Thanks, Brad

Edited by user Thursday, July 28, 2016 1:51:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

twbf  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, August 3, 2016 11:47:08 PM(UTC)
twbf

Canada

I was wondering if anyone can give me any leads to experts about these advertising cartoons? About a month ago, I did try to contact a couple of big names here and on the Cartoons Research forum, but I've not received any replies yet. Thanks! Brad
twbf  
#17 Posted : Friday, September 9, 2016 6:03:54 PM(UTC)
twbf

Canada

Was wondering if anyone here can steer me towards someone who might have more information on these Coca-Cola advertising cartoons? Thanks, Brad
User is suspended until 10/18/2045 7:30:21 AM(UTC) ParamountCartoons  
#18 Posted : Friday, September 9, 2016 7:58:30 PM(UTC)
ParamountCartoons

United States

Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Try United States Library of Congress Coca-Cola section.

(PM Steve Stanchfield of Thunderbean for more details);;;;;;;

Edited by user Friday, September 9, 2016 7:59:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

twbf  
#19 Posted : Friday, September 9, 2016 11:34:12 PM(UTC)
twbf

Canada

Thanks, previously, I have been to the LOC site and have contacted one of their researchers. Also, I did PM Mr. Stanchfield about a month ago.
PopKorn Kat  
#20 Posted : Saturday, September 10, 2016 11:44:59 PM(UTC)
PopKorn Kat

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Administrators, Moderator, Beta Tester
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 246 time(s) in 184 post(s)
Here's another Coca-Cola commercial. Definitely not Lantz: