Little Quacker (ORIGINAL TITLES)- Page 5 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
4 Pages«<34
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kristjan  
#81 Posted : Saturday, September 30, 2017 3:17:41 PM(UTC)
Kristjan

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Toadette Go to Quoted Post
The GC2 transfers are airing on European stations, which are where most online screenshots of them are coming from.

Does anyone know of european releases using these transfers?
LuckyToon  
#82 Posted : Saturday, September 30, 2017 4:18:41 PM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Man
United States

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Toonatic Go to Quoted Post
Excuse me if this was already asked but does the GC transfer for Texas Tom have its original titles?

No unfortunately. Little Quacker is the only pre-1951 Tom & Jerry cartoon with its original opening titles remastered for GC Vol. 2.
User is suspended until 10/18/2045 7:30:21 AM(UTC) ParamountCartoons  
#83 Posted : Saturday, September 30, 2017 9:20:14 PM(UTC)
ParamountCartoons

United States

Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LuckyToon Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Toonatic Go to Quoted Post
Excuse me if this was already asked but does the GC transfer for Texas Tom have its original titles?

No unfortunately. Little Quacker is the only pre-1951 Tom & Jerry cartoon with its original opening titles remastered for GC Vol. 2.

I know it was eliminated but didn't they find the original nitrate to Mouse Cleaning and then scrap it for a remaster for the reissue titles only for it to be censored on the set?

SuperMuppet64  
#84 Posted : Saturday, September 30, 2017 10:25:28 PM(UTC)
SuperMuppet64

Man
United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 21 post(s)
all i ever remember hearing is that nitrate elements for mouse cleaning were found and they were gonna be used in golden collection volume 2. but yknow then the set never happened. funny how the warner legal department is terrified of mouse cleaning and casanova cat yet they had no problem with releasing his mouse friday on google play
thanks 1 user thanked SuperMuppet64 for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 9/30/2017(UTC)
User is suspended until 10/18/2045 7:30:21 AM(UTC) ParamountCartoons  
#85 Posted : Saturday, September 30, 2017 11:36:54 PM(UTC)
ParamountCartoons

United States

Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SuperMuppet64 Go to Quoted Post
all i ever remember hearing is that nitrate elements for mouse cleaning were found and they were gonna be used in golden collection volume 2. but yknow then the set never happened. funny how the warner legal department is terrified of mouse cleaning and casanova cat yet they had no problem with releasing his mouse friday on google play

Actually, foreign Cartoon Network channels aired a remastered reissue print of MOUSE CLEANING.So who knows if WB actually wanted to bother remastering the nitrate.
Jesus46537  
#86 Posted : Sunday, October 1, 2017 12:56:43 AM(UTC)
Jesus46537

Peru

Well, now back to the topic of the original titles of Little Quacker. It is strange that they have used the original titles for this short. It's great but why they did not do the same thing with The Hollywood Bowl, the original titles were better than the current one:

The actual remastered MGM logo:

PopKorn Kat  
#87 Posted : Sunday, October 1, 2017 1:26:45 AM(UTC)
PopKorn Kat

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Administrators, Moderator, Beta Tester
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 251 time(s) in 188 post(s)
Hate to break it to you, but that's a recreation of the original titles.

The original original titles can be found here: http://intanibase.com/fo...riginal-Titles#post15012
SuperMuppet64  
#88 Posted : Sunday, October 1, 2017 5:36:18 AM(UTC)
SuperMuppet64

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: ParamountCartoons Go to Quoted Post
Actually, foreign Cartoon Network channels aired a remastered reissue print of MOUSE CLEANING.So who knows if WB actually wanted to bother remastering the nitrate.

well just because it was a nitrate doesnt necessarily mean it would have the original titles. could be possible mgm was still using nitrate elements when reissuing. could be wrong
Jesus46537  
#89 Posted : Sunday, October 1, 2017 6:19:37 AM(UTC)
Jesus46537

Peru

Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat Go to Quoted Post
Hate to break it to you, but that's a recreation of the original titles.

The original original titles can be found here: http://intanibase.com/fo...riginal-Titles#post15012

Both are the same.

Jesus46537  
#90 Posted : Sunday, October 1, 2017 6:24:03 AM(UTC)
Jesus46537

Peru

Originally Posted by: SuperMuppet64 Go to Quoted Post

well just because it was a nitrate doesnt necessarily mean it would have the original titles. could be possible mgm was still using nitrate elements when reissuing. could be wrong

I Find a possible remastering of Mouse Cleaning:

http://www.intanibase.co...ID=3486#page=screenshots

But I can not assure you if it's the real one.

Casanova Cat I can not find it anywhere :/

PopKorn Kat  
#91 Posted : Sunday, October 1, 2017 6:36:38 AM(UTC)
PopKorn Kat

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Administrators, Moderator, Beta Tester
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 251 time(s) in 188 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jesus46537 Go to Quoted Post

lol I sent in those shots :P

Yes, they're the real thing, yes they're from an IB Tech print, but they're from a reissue print. They're from a Blu-Ray offered here on the forums by Thunderbean that was called "Tons of Toons."

Edited by user Sunday, October 1, 2017 6:37:08 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jesus46537  
#92 Posted : Sunday, October 1, 2017 9:22:07 AM(UTC)
Jesus46537

Peru

Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat Go to Quoted Post

lol I sent in those shots :P

Yes, they're the real thing, yes they're from an IB Tech print, but they're from a reissue print. They're from a Blu-Ray offered here on the forums by Thunderbean that was called "Tons of Toons."

I see, great contribution, I'm surprised that you have put a Popeye short with good quality, seriously there should be a collection with the shorts remastered (Same as Looney Tunes, Betty Boop and Tom and Jerry).

New Bugs Bunny Tom Cat Popeye Betty Boop
SuperMuppet64  
#93 Posted : Sunday, October 1, 2017 10:35:06 AM(UTC)
SuperMuppet64

Man
United States

Actually, foreign Cartoon Network channels aired a remastered reissue print of MOUSE CLEANING.

oh by the way if anyone has screenshots or proof of this, please show them off..really wanna see how the print looks
Cool_Cat  
#94 Posted : Sunday, October 1, 2017 8:02:03 PM(UTC)
Cool_Cat

Italy

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Ok so this is the story. Polka Dot Puss was mostly planned to be released on the first Golden Collection along with Mouse Cleaning (and probably The Little Orphan and Hatch Up Your Troubles which were digitally cleaned from the previous WB Academy Awards remasters), but due to controversies surrounding Mouse Cleaning they probably decided to stop up to Professor Tom and leave all the problems releasing the controversial short on the second volume.

My assumption is due to the fact the color correction on Polka Dot Puss is almost identical to the ones featured in the first Golden Collection, unlike the later darker remasters.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Now, this is an assumption. I haven't seen yet the remaster of Mouse Cleaning (if it exists). I'm 90% sure the remaster of Casanova Cat doesn't exist because I remember seeing a promo on Super RTL where they used the older print.
thanks 5 users thanked Cool_Cat for this useful post.
Toadette on 10/1/2017(UTC), dbear on 10/1/2017(UTC), SuperMuppet64 on 10/1/2017(UTC), PopKorn Kat on 10/1/2017(UTC), Jesus46537 on 10/2/2017(UTC)
Mesterius  
#95 Posted : Monday, October 2, 2017 3:47:08 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Was thanked: 86 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post
SuperMuppet64 you're right, maybe the tape was like this.

The "tape"? ;)

Yes, the tape of the short :s

Exactly my point. The source element for this theatrical short is not a video tape -- it's a film reel. You think they are remastering them in high definition from old video masters?
thanks 1 user thanked Mesterius for this useful post.
Jesus46537 on 10/2/2017(UTC)
Mesterius  
#96 Posted : Monday, October 2, 2017 4:04:05 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Was thanked: 86 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Cool_Cat Go to Quoted Post
Now, this is an assumption. I haven't seen yet the remaster of Mouse Cleaning (if it exists). I'm 90% sure the remaster of Casanova Cat doesn't exist because I remember seeing a promo on Super RTL where they used the older print.

Casanova Cat is most definitely restored -- in fact, the ENTIRE Hanna-Barbera theatrical Tom and Jerry library has clearly been restored by this point.

When it comes to Casanova Cat in particular, we have to remember that Warner Bros only decided to chicken out and cut the two shorts from Golden Collection Vol. 2 at the very last moment. All the while the set was being put together, the plan was to include them. Jerry Beck himself confirmed this in a February 7, 2013 comment on the Blu-ray.com forum, posted right after Warner's censorship became known:

Quote:
Until a week ago, as far as I knew, MOUSE CLEANING and CASANOVA CAT were to be included in the set. They were indeed restored. The liner notes were written.

thanks 3 users thanked Mesterius for this useful post.
Toadette on 10/2/2017(UTC), PopKorn Kat on 10/2/2017(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 10/2/2017(UTC)
SuperMuppet64  
#97 Posted : Monday, October 2, 2017 6:26:49 AM(UTC)
SuperMuppet64

Man
United States

on the subject of remasters, collections, and transfers, ive recently thought about a potential retooling to turn golden collections volumes 1 and 2 into one four-disc set.
this set would aim to fix the problems with volume 1 and what would be volume 2.
ive thought about mentioning or emailing these ideas to jerry beck, but...
1. im chicken
2. it sets very unrealistic expectations

disc 1 and 2 would contain the first 40 tom and jerry shorts, and would fix these issues:
  • the shorts Puss n' Toots, The Bowling Alley Cat, Sufferin' Cats, The Lonesome Mouse, The Zoot Cat, The Million Dollar Cat, Puttin' on the Dog, Mouse Trouble, Quiet Please, and The Milky Waif are all from non-technicolor sources, and all MGM cartoon logos have been replaced with a 60s title instead. new transfers from proper tech sources should be used.
  • the dvnr in Yankee Doodle Mouse's opening scene should be fixed from the original raw scan. transfer from wbhe academy awards set.
  • Tee for Two has lots of little dirt and specs all over the film. otherwise it looks pretty darn nice.
  • Puss Gets the Boot is taken from a non-technicolor source, and despite how good it looks, i feel a tech source should be scanned instead. "an mgm cartoon" lacks "in technicolor" notice and skips straight ahead to the rudy ising credit instead of crossfading.
  • numerous shorts have an issue where it looks as if in some scenes the film was put through a strange filter or was traced. the lines usually become a solid black, and it also affects shadow effects badly. these can likely be fixed by doing a new cleanup from the raw scans. i feel this has something to do with noise reduction. (kinda looks like someone's using the sony vegas "black restore" effect!) here's an example from Solid Serenade. note the brick wall.

UserPostedImage

• The Truce Hurts has some very strange contrasting on tom. the color separation looks as if it isn't actually there. this isn't the case in the turner print or the 60's print. Old Rockin' Chair Tom has a bit of a similar case, but is far better overall.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

• Polka Dot Puss and Mouse Cleaning will be included on the second disc. latter restored from nitrate elements.

one last note is that butch's white outlines might be subject to dvnr in Trap Happy, i'm not entirely sure of this however.

discs 3 and 4 would contain the second batch of 40 tom and jerry shorts. golden collection vol. 2 has less issues with image and moreso with color.
  • general color contrast corrections might need to be taken on a good amount of shorts. Cueball Cat, Fit to be Tied, Jerry and Jumbo, and Puppy Tale are some examples of shorts that look really damp. there might be more.
  • Heavenly Puss and Jerry's Diary are awful-looking non-tech transfers with fake-out technicolor mgm logos at the beginning pulled from other shorts! a new tech scan for both of these is needed.
  • Love That Pup has rather shaky film but excellent color.
  • Jerry's Cousin's title needs to be properly centered. VERY nitpicky complaint i know, but something interesting to note about this short is that the title cards are not matted like the rest of the film. part of the background's painting ending should be shown in the 4-perf projection area. transer from wbhe academy awards set. the rest of the cartoon is properly centered.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

this post was very long, and honestly it kinda feels like a ramble, might've even missed some details. but i just wanted to write this stuff down...i feel a set like this could totally make a buy worth it, though we can only dream on. whenever warner finally musters up some courage to release mouse cleaning and casanova cat...

Edited by user Monday, October 2, 2017 6:28:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jesus46537  
#98 Posted : Monday, October 2, 2017 8:47:29 AM(UTC)
Jesus46537

Peru

Originally Posted by: Cool_Cat Go to Quoted Post
Ok so this is the story. Polka Dot Puss was mostly planned to be released on the first Golden Collection along with Mouse Cleaning (and probably The Little Orphan and Hatch Up Your Troubles which were digitally cleaned from the previous WB Academy Awards remasters), but due to controversies surrounding Mouse Cleaning they probably decided to stop up to Professor Tom and leave all the problems releasing the controversial short on the second volume.

My assumption is due to the fact the color correction on Polka Dot Puss is almost identical to the ones featured in the first Golden Collection, unlike the later darker remasters.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

You are right, because in Vol. 1 Tom has been colored in gray, while in Vol. 2 in blue. Polka-Dot Puss and Mouse Cleaning was the exception, I always suspected that those two shorts were going to be in Vol. 1.

The Little Orphan, Hatch Up Your Troubles, Jerry's Cousin and Johann Mouse also happens the same but it is because they were from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Academy Awards Animation Collection.
Jesus46537  
#99 Posted : Monday, October 2, 2017 8:57:14 AM(UTC)
Jesus46537

Peru

SuperMuppet64 Jerry's Cousin titles will be centered:

Cool_Cat  
#100 Posted : Monday, October 2, 2017 6:52:38 PM(UTC)
Cool_Cat

Italy

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 36 post(s)
I'm gonna be super nit picky but you know... I love Tom and Jerry shorts so I have the right to be so :P

-The DVNR was not only on The Yankee Doodle Mouse but on many of the transfers from the Spotlight Collection/Academy Awards set (similarly to what happened to the BD clean up of The Dover Boys in a couple scenes). Examples:

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

-The sound on the new GC1 transfers was obviously sourced from older masters (some being the Turner prints and some the Cartoon Moviestars ones), and they have been heavily filtered so they sound very muffled, especially Trap Happy. It would have been better if they didn't touch the sound at all just because in this way they made it sound worse. The sound quality on the previous DVD transfers and the GC2 ones instead is excellent most of the time. They obviously re scanned the audio track.

-The shorts with the 60s lion simply need to be re scanned from a Tech source in order to look better. On Heavenly Puss and Jerry's Diary they plastered the MGM card from Love that Pup. Both are from non Tech sources and look terribly bad.

-Tee for Two was not digitally cleaned up. I'm cleaning it up myself to test the software, and I've already made the first 30 seconds look perfect, so it shouldn't be impossible.

-Most of the GC2 transfers have bad color/contrast correction. Exceptions being Little Quacker, The Dog House and Two Little Indians.
thanks 3 users thanked Cool_Cat for this useful post.
SuperMuppet64 on 10/2/2017(UTC), Toadette on 10/2/2017(UTC), PopKorn Kat on 10/2/2017(UTC)