Classics from Van Beuren studio - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gene1802  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2015 2:31:58 AM(UTC)
Gene1802

Groups: Registered

I pre ordered this latest DVD a month ago through Amazon. I thought it would be available March 15th. Do you know when it will be shipped? Thanks.
DevonB  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 27, 2015 4:07:25 AM(UTC)
DevonB

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gene1802 Go to Quoted Post
I pre ordered this latest DVD a month ago through Amazon. I thought it would be available March 15th. Do you know when it will be shipped? Thanks.

Latest word from Steve:

"I do hope Van Beuren Classics shows up this week; we have a new replicator on the project and it’s now 2 weeks late. We’ll send as soon as they show up here...the set turned out really great."
thanks 1 user thanked DevonB for this useful post.
Gossamer on 3/28/2015(UTC)
Ratso  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2015 12:32:52 PM(UTC)
Ratso

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You get the collective wrath of this forum if you complain too loudly about tardy Thunderbean releases. (Take it from me.) But Steve will eventually deliver. If everyone else is posting about it for a week and you still haven't gotten it, shoot him an email--you may have slipped though the cracks.
Steve Stanchfield  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2015 6:14:37 AM(UTC)
Steve Stanchfield

Was thanked: 388 time(s) in 117 post(s)
..... and, thanks for not coming down too hard when these things run behind! We're trying a new replicator..and 100% won't use them again- they're now winning the award for not getting the master into replication the longest. We're still hoping we'll see them this week... but have already started labeling the packages and added the bonus discs. We'll send those by themselves this week if it still isn't here, and send the set when it shows.. hopefully sooner than later (it's 2 over 2 weeks late from the replicator- promised March 12).
thanks 1 user thanked Steve Stanchfield for this useful post.
Gossamer on 4/1/2015(UTC)
Mesterius  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2015 8:37:03 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Steve Stanchfield Go to Quoted Post
..... and, thanks for not coming down too hard when these things run behind! We're trying a new replicator..and 100% won't use them again- they're now winning the award for not getting the master into replication the longest. We're still hoping we'll see them this week... but have already started labeling the packages and added the bonus discs. We'll send those by themselves this week if it still isn't here, and send the set when it shows.. hopefully sooner than later (it's 2 over 2 weeks late from the replicator- promised March 12).

Any updates on this yet?
Elvis Tangerium  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2015 3:54:20 AM(UTC)
Elvis Tangerium

United States

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Got the BDR version in the mail today with the following message from Steve:

"We're sending you this set as a BDR and DVDR, and will be sending replacement discs for each as soon as they arrive here."

thanks 1 user thanked Elvis Tangerium for this useful post.
Gossamer on 4/18/2015(UTC)
DevonB  
#7 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2015 7:06:07 AM(UTC)
DevonB

Just received the set today, so they're on their way, folks!
thanks 1 user thanked DevonB for this useful post.
Gossamer on 4/18/2015(UTC)
Ratso  
#8 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2015 8:40:31 AM(UTC)
Ratso

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Elvis Tangerium Go to Quoted Post

"We're sending you this set as a BDR and DVDR, and will be sending replacement discs for each as soon as they arrive here."

I'm confused. I got that message, too, along with the Classics Blu-ray/DVD discs in the shrink-wrapped case and the bonus discs (one each on Blu-ray and DVD). So what exactly do these imminent replacement discs replace?

Edited by user Saturday, April 18, 2015 8:42:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Paul Penna  
#9 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2015 12:41:48 PM(UTC)
Paul Penna

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ratso Go to Quoted Post

I'm confused. I got that message, too, along with the Classics Blu-ray/DVD discs in the shrink-wrapped case and the bonus discs (one each on Blu-ray and DVD). So what exactly do these imminent replacement discs replace?

The discs you got are recordable (burned) discs, not replicated (pressed). The pressed versions of the regular release (the ones in the case) will replace those when Steve receives them.
Ratso  
#10 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2015 9:06:44 PM(UTC)
Ratso

Man
United States

The pressed versions of the regular release (the ones in the case) will replace those when Steve receives them.

Got it. Thanks!

ferpme  
#11 Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2015 12:06:27 PM(UTC)
ferpme

Wow. Not really enough nice I can say about this! The Van Buren cartoons have their own catchy, quirky charm. And you will NEVER see them look better than this! Steve and the gang have made me a fan of Cubbie and Tom and Jerry like never before. Among the best sets you've turned out!! THANKS. And the bonus disc was loaded with gems as well.
Speaking of bonus: Love any sort of Milton Knight sighting....have some of his original sketches and even an original drawing. And if you aren't familiar with his work, go get familiar with it now.
An aside to Steve: To the squawkers that complain of long waits (and I put myself guiltily among those at the top of the list) the fact that you sent this out before the pressed discs are ready is much appreciated. You certainly didn't HAVE to by ANY means, but nonetheless....thanks. Just shows how you have and DO go more than the extra mile.
Get this, if you haven't. And if you have? Get a couple more.
JonBoschen  
#12 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2015 5:23:53 PM(UTC)
JonBoschen

I received mine the other day. I love the discs! It was a real treat to see a fragment of the two-color Technicolor title for "Picnic Panic"! Thanks again for your hard work Steve, It's greatly appreciated! :-)
nickramer  
#13 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2015 9:28:28 PM(UTC)
nickramer

Groups: Registered, Researcher

Was thanked: 178 time(s) in 147 post(s)
I apologize if this was mentioned before, but are there any audio commentaries included on this title?
DevonB  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2015 1:34:01 AM(UTC)
DevonB

Originally Posted by: nickramer Go to Quoted Post
I apologize if this was mentioned before, but are there any audio commentaries included on this title?

There are not.

dbear  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2015 2:10:14 AM(UTC)
dbear

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JonBoschen Go to Quoted Post
I received mine the other day. I love the discs! It was a real treat to see a fragment of the two-color Technicolor title for "Picnic Panic"! Thanks again for your hard work Steve, It's greatly appreciated! :-)

I'm making my way through this gigantic, meticulously-researched book called "The Dawn of Technicolor" and curiously the small section on animation towards the end claims the Van Beuren cartoons supposedly "stayed with Cinecolor until three-strip Technicolor became available." No footnote or source is provided to substantiate this claim but the cartoons' absence from their comprehensive two-strip Tech filmography implies there's nothing in Technicolor's internal documentation suggesting the Van Beurens were released in two-color Technicolor.

I've noticed there's a contemporary mention of the Rainbow Parades apparently planned for release in Cinecolor in the Film Daily (see the January 16 and March 28 bits).

I haven't got my disc yet but does the fragmentary original title lean more closely to a two-color Technicolor look? Can anybody else weigh in on this matter?
Dana Martin  
#16 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2015 8:52:35 PM(UTC)
Dana Martin

Still waiting on mine to show up, along with another title that I ordered, I am beginning to think my house is a black hole, have the same issue with some Amazon orders
Bradskey  
#17 Posted : Saturday, April 25, 2015 10:59:48 AM(UTC)
Bradskey

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Got mine yesterday, thanks.
Zachary  
#18 Posted : Friday, May 1, 2015 4:36:18 PM(UTC)
Zachary

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Beta Tester
United States

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Received mine on Monday, and have been enjoying it. Great set! Wish the end music of The Office Boy wasn't cut short (it's complete on the raw transfer) and it's a bit odd seeing some of the cartoons (from 16mm prints) presented in 1.4:1 - 1.45:1 aspect ratios, but overall, it's very nice. Thanks, Steve!

Is this set supposed to come with a liner notes booklet, like the previous Blu-rays? My copy didn't come with one. Just curious.

Unfortunately, the bonus discs I received are defective. The Blu-ray is totally non-functional, and the DVD version is corrupted as well: it's recognized, but the media player hangs when trying to open the disc. I tried playing the VOB files directly, and the first part of the stream (VTS_01_1.VOB) freezes after a handful of frames and the player doesn't report the length of the video, while the second part (VTS_01_2.VOB) works fine.

A few bugs I noticed that Steve might want to know about:

- The DVD version of the set has some pretty bad compression artifacts at times.

- There are some odd digital artifacts affecting the edges of the lettering in the opening and end titles of The Sunshine Makers. Perhaps where the restoration software covered over dust specks but did it poorly? Present on both the Blu-ray and DVD.

- The Office Boy's soundtrack only plays out of the left channel (except for the bits of opening music that were inserted from another source to fix the splices).

Edited by user Friday, May 1, 2015 4:38:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Chrisron  
#19 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2015 1:41:30 AM(UTC)
Chrisron

Got mine today. Haven't had time for more than a quick look, but everything looks great! And no problems with my bonus discs.
dbear  
#20 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2015 2:09:22 AM(UTC)
dbear

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Received the set yesterday and enjoyed watching it. A great selection and those 35mm Cinecolor prints of PASTRY TOWN WEDDING and SUNSHINE MAKERS look amazing! It's quite fascinating to see the evolution of a studio over a decade, from the blocky-style Paul Terry Fables to the Disney-esque Rainbow Parades. The Disney vs. Van Beuren lawsuit document in the extras is an interesting read, especially when it showed film strip reproductions comparing the cartoons in question.

Unfortunately, like Zachary, the bonus BD-R I received was defective and the bonus DVD-R was a duplicate of the main DVD.

Originally Posted by: Zachary Go to Quoted Post
- There are some odd digital artifacts affecting the edges of the lettering in the opening and end titles of The Sunshine Makers. Perhaps where the restoration software covered over dust specks but did it poorly? Present on both the Blu-ray and DVD.

I think I've noticed a few glitches in the digital clean up too. Spotted a few instances of outlines getting erased in THE BULLY'S END (check out the scene where the ersatz Bimbo tries to encourage the duck to fight). It's fairly minor however and was only noticeable when still framing. Minor flaws aside, this is another great set from Steve, many thanks to everyone involved!