Prepare to Vomit! More redesigns for "Wabbit"... - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wiley207  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2015 6:43:55 AM(UTC)
wiley207

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Just recently, Wile E. Coyote and Yosemite Sam's new designs for "Wabbit: a Looney Tunes Production" have been revealed. But the results aren't pretty...

ugly new wilee
Seriously? That's not even CLOSE to looking like how Wile E. Coyote really does. It's already causing quite a bit of hubbub online, almost like when "The Looney Tunes Show" designs were unleashed in 2010, or "Be Cool Scooby-Doo" currently is.

Yosemite Sam isn't much better either...
ugly sam

So first Warner Bros. Animation redesigns Bugs Bunny...
ugly bugs

Then the Scooby-Doo gang...
ugly scooby gang

and now THIS!
ugly LTs
Does Warner Bros. now think the old character designs are too "dated" or something? If only for "Wabbit" they stuck with being closer to the classic designs, like this "What's New Scooby-Doo" clip I frequently use when comparing it to the latest Looney Tunes stuff...

See? It looks more like Wile E. Coyote than that scrawny long-nosed hillbilly-esque creature that will be appearing on "Wabbit."
After "The Looney Tunes Show" and that "Rabbits Run" direct-to-video movie, and now this, I hope for the day the original Looney Tunes designs come back.

I'm also still hoping Warner will distribute these two new animated shows online for people who don't have Boomerang, or something...
thanks 1 user thanked wiley207 for this useful post.
ibcf on 9/4/2015(UTC)
Toadette  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2015 8:19:19 AM(UTC)
Toadette

Groups: Registered, Researcher

Was thanked: 227 time(s) in 190 post(s)
Echhh!

I'm still hoping that this show will actually be a good revival, especially given what Michael J. Ruocco, who storyboarded on it, has had to say about it; certainly the recent promos (which only show Bugs on-screen) seem promising. But terrible-looking redesigns do no one any favors.

(Is it just me, or does that Yosemite Sam redesign bear more than a passing resemblance to the cheaply-drawn version of him from "Invasion of the Bunny Snatchers"? Yikes...)
thanks 1 user thanked Toadette for this useful post.
ibcf on 9/4/2015(UTC)
ibcf  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2015 8:31:32 AM(UTC)
ibcf

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Toadette Go to Quoted Post
(Is it just me, or does that Yosemite Sam redesign bear more than a passing resemblance to the cheaply-drawn version of him from "Invasion of the Bunny Snatchers"? Yikes...)

It's uncanny!
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked ibcf for this useful post.
Toadette on 9/4/2015(UTC)
nickramer  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2015 10:44:24 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Was thanked: 197 time(s) in 161 post(s)
Couldn't they have gotten Dave Alvarez to do the character designs instead? He really draws the Looney Tune characters well in his elastic style contrary to the idiot editors running DC Comics. They are making him copy the old publicity art poses in the recent Loony Tune because of their lousy opinions.

Edited by user Friday, September 4, 2015 10:44:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked nickramer for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 9/4/2015(UTC)
LuckyToon  
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 5, 2015 1:42:50 AM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
They only have creators who worked on The Looney Tunes Show, which is why they are still using the ugly designs of the Looney Tunes in their recent shows. And not only that, the sound effects will be the same as in The Looney Tunes Show, using "Advantage Audio" to do the sound effects instead of "DigiPost TV."

If I was working at WBA, I would only use the original designs of the Looney Tunes characters instead. And have DigiPost TV do the sound effects like what they did before.
Mister Bighead  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2015 12:15:43 AM(UTC)
Mister Bighead

Man
United States

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)
The designs (especially of Sam) remind me of the designs of the WB/7 Arts characters.
wiley207  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2015 12:28:15 AM(UTC)
wiley207

Originally Posted by: Mister Bighead Go to Quoted Post
The designs (especially of Sam) remind me of the designs of the WB/7 Arts characters.

At least we got to see how Wile E. Coyote looked when animated by WBA during the Seven Arts era, in this Plymouth Road Runner commercial directed by Alex Lovy...

And LuckyToon, you are right about Advantage Audio. They're also going to be doing the sound editing for "Be Cool, Scooby-Doo," which means that show will probably have no H-B or Warner SFX for the most part (as Advantage Audio mostly sticks with realistic sound effects.)

Edited by user Monday, September 7, 2015 3:19:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Bobby Bickert  
#8 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2015 9:25:42 AM(UTC)
Bobby Bickert

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
There was an article about Wabbit in TV Guide last month. One of the producers is quoted as saying "We're trying to live up to the legacy of creator Chuck Jones". [insert "eyeroll" smilie]

And here's the caption that accompanied the image in this article: "Meet Squeaks the Squirrel, a new character who is Bugs's buddy--and moral compass". [insert "vomit" smilie]
Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2015 10:04:50 AM(UTC)
Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
"Yeah.." No mention of Clampett, Freleng,etc. Chuck Jones DIDN'T EVEN CREATE most of those (and for that matter, neither did Bob Clampett or any indidvual other!) Jones didn't even direct Bugs until 1941 when he called him Bugs ("Elmer';s Pet Rabbit")-Tex Avery cocreated him for 1940's "A Wild Hare" and prototypes existed before (Jones's own 1939 "Presto Change-O" and 1940 "ELmer's Candid Camera" were among these).
nickramer  
#10 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2015 10:09:38 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Was thanked: 197 time(s) in 161 post(s)
Originally Posted by: wiley207 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mister Bighead Go to Quoted Post

At least we got to see how Wile E. Coyote looked when animated by WBA during the Seven Arts era, in this Plymouth Road Runner commercial directed by Alex Lovy...

And LuckyToon, you are right about Advantage Audio. They're also going to be doing the sound editing for "Be Cool, Scooby-Doo," which means that show will probably have no H-B or Warner SFX for the most part (as Advantage Audio mostly sticks with realistic sound effects.)

Yeah, but at least in that commercial, the characters still looked relatively on-model. Can't say the same for "Wabbit".

User is suspended until 10/18/2045 7:30:21 AM(UTC) ParamountCartoons  
#11 Posted : Sunday, September 13, 2015 4:31:39 AM(UTC)
ParamountCartoons

United States

Was thanked: 58 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Wile E, Coyote looks like a mix between one of the "Woozles" in the first Winnie the Pooh movie and the Pink Panther. I actually dig that design.

However I think Warners should hire Wiley207 so he can legally obtain & show a legal copy of the YouTube link of that "What's New, Scooby-Doo" clip to Warner Bros. and fire Jessica whatsheface!

wiley207  
#12 Posted : Sunday, September 13, 2015 11:22:31 AM(UTC)
wiley207

Originally Posted by: ParamountCartoons Go to Quoted Post
However I think Warners should hire Wiley207 so he can legally obtain & show a legal copy of the YouTube link of that "What's New, Scooby-Doo" clip to Warner Bros. and fire Jessica whatsheface!

Heh, good call!

Here's the newest promo for the show...
wiley207  
#13 Posted : Saturday, September 19, 2015 10:27:23 PM(UTC)
wiley207

OK, a rumor is now going around that "Wabbit" is actually going to air on Cartoon Network, weekdays at 5 PM, starting Monday September 21st. The episode titles for this upcoming week are...

Monday: "Buddha Bugs / Now and Zen / The Inside Bugs / Sun Valley Freeze"

Tuesday: "St. Bugs and the Dragon / Leaf It Alone / The Bigfoot in Bed / World
Wide Wabbit"

Wednesday: "For the Love of Acorns / Game is a Foot"

Thursday: "Grim Rabbit / Wringer"

Friday: "White House Wabbit / Bugsbarian"

And this CN schedule confirms it...
http://schedule.adultswi...21%2F15&timeZone=EST

It seems to come from the same server as the Boomerang schedule through the Adult Swim backdoor site, and that's pretty accurate, so I can guess this is too.

And of course, Looney Tunes will be returning for the fall schedule, an hour-long slot weekdays at 9 AM.
thanks 2 users thanked wiley207 for this useful post.
Toadette on 9/19/2015(UTC), PopKorn Kat on 9/20/2015(UTC)
Toadette  
#14 Posted : Sunday, September 20, 2015 6:49:10 AM(UTC)
Toadette

It looks like the new shorts will be airing on Cartoon Network into early October, at the least:
http://tvschedule.zap2it...P02272457?aid=tvschedule

Apparently it's just a sneak preview before the show premieres on Boomerang. Here's the CN promo:

Michael J. Ruocco's episodes, by the way, are "St. Bugs and the Dragon" and "Wabbit's Wild". (This info, not to mention the schedule, sourced from his Twitter feed.)

Edited by user Sunday, September 20, 2015 6:50:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Did a bit of reformatting.

thanks 2 users thanked Toadette for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 9/20/2015(UTC), wiley207 on 9/21/2015(UTC)
wiley207  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, September 22, 2015 6:00:15 AM(UTC)
wiley207

So, here's what I believe the principal voice cast for this show will be...

JEFF BERGMAN - Bugs Bunny/Foghorn Leghorn
DEE BRADLEY BAKER - Squeaks
JP KARLIAK - Wile E. Coyote
MAURICE LAMARCHE - Yosemite Sam

The other voice actors actors include some of the usual Warner Bros./Butch Hartman group, like Carlos Alazraqui, Eric Bauza, Grey Griffin, Daran Norris and Kevin Michael Richardson.

The music is done by Joshua Funk, and so far seems to be your generic modern "comedy" cartoon score.
The overseas animation services are done by [SPOILER ALERT!] Rough Draft Korea and Yearim Productions. So I guess that means we're getting the same inferior animation quality as "The Looney Tunes Show" had. If only they stuck with more classic-looking designs and had Lotto Animation doing the Korean animation services, then it'd look as good as that "What's New Scooby-Doo" scene. Or if they had Yearim animate them in the classic style, then it'd look as good as "Duck Dodgers" and "Daffy Duck for President" did.

In fact, I'm betting even with its ugly character designs, "Be Cool, Scooby-Doo" will be better-animated than this show, like "Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated" was much better-animated than "The Looney Tunes Show!"

Oh yes, and plenty of Hanna-Barbera sound effects abound. Now all that's missing are the "Abstract W-7" opening and closing logo sequences...
thanks 2 users thanked wiley207 for this useful post.
Toadette on 9/22/2015(UTC), LuckyToon on 9/23/2015(UTC)
LuckyToon  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2015 3:55:47 AM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: wiley207 Go to Quoted Post
and plenty of Hanna-Barbera sound effects abound. Now all that's missing are the "Abstract W-7" opening and closing logo sequences...

Makes sense for Be Cool Scooby Doo to use some H-B sounds, but not at all for Wabbit. When is WBA and other animation studios going to stop using most of the H-B sound effects for cheesy moments in regular animated shows and just only use them for shows that resemble the H-B cartoons or CN shows (like Heathcliff, Garfield & Friends, Wander Over Yonder, Ren & Stimpy, and Krypto the Superdog)?

I would rather use sounds from other cartoon sound effects libraries instead of the H-B sounds for regular animated shows.
wiley207  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2015 4:16:40 AM(UTC)
wiley207

So now I finally heard Wile E. Coyote's new voice. So far, it's not too bad, actually. This new JP Karliak guy is kind of going for the posh, pseudo-sophisticated voice Wile E. had on the classic shorts and "Tiny Toon Adventures." It's still not as good as Mel Blanc's, but then again, neither was Joe Alaskey's. At least it's better than giving him a generic American voice like Tech E. Coyote, or in Seth MacFarlane's parodies.
Wile E.'s new design still sure looked weird at parts, though.

The "St. Bugs and the Dragon" segment was also fun, though it kind of reminded me of Jack Kent's 1975 Golden book "There's No Such Thing as a Dragon."
Toadette  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2015 11:27:39 AM(UTC)
Toadette

For those of you who might still be wondering about Dave Alvarez and his involvement (or alleged lack thereof) with this show, well...
https://twitter.com/DAlv...tatus/646112067007614976

And none other than Charlie Adler is the voice director:
https://twitter.com/bauz...tatus/645637738868305920

Edited by user Wednesday, September 23, 2015 11:30:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Added info on Charlie Adler.

Toadette  
#19 Posted : Thursday, September 24, 2015 6:09:12 AM(UTC)
Toadette

Here are some of Mr. Ruocco's boards for "St. Bugs":
http://michaeljruocco.tu...h-panels-from-one-of-the
Toadette  
#20 Posted : Sunday, October 4, 2015 10:27:57 AM(UTC)
Toadette

Due to high ratings, Wabbit will continue running on Cartoon Network in addition to Boomerang! New episodes coming on the 15th:
http://michaeljruocco.tu...ed-to-be-the-last-day-of