Popeye the Sailor: The 1940s Vol. 1 (Warner Archive Collection) - December...- Page 9 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
15 Pages«<7891011>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ken Layton  
#161 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2018 11:37:37 AM(UTC)
Ken Layton

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 25 post(s)
I was notified Tuesday night my copy is on it's way. I ordered the DVD because I do not have any blu ray equipment.
Toonatic  
#162 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2018 1:19:51 PM(UTC)
Toonatic

Groups: Registered, Researcher
United States

Was thanked: 228 time(s) in 165 post(s)
Current rank on Amazon now: #677 in Movies & TV and #270 in Movies & TV > Blu-ray.

It's climbing higher. ;)
thanks 1 user thanked Toonatic for this useful post.
Einhander on 12/7/2018(UTC)
Mark The Shark  
#163 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2018 7:27:18 PM(UTC)
Mark The Shark

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Thad Komorowski Go to Quoted Post
The less egregious errors were indeed holdovers from the older transfers, usually when "The Merry-Go-Round Broke Down" is replaced with the '37 theme. The worst offenders were entirely new because the tracks for those particular fine grains were probably dead for the head and tail (as can often be the case with shorts of this vintage). The edits were intentional because they were done by people who didn't know the films. (There's evidence of this on the Bugs Bunny Superstar Warner Archive disc. They used the archival 35mm Cinecolor print of I TAW A PUTTY TAT for the picture but used the track from the "Dubbed Version"—so the solution to make it match was to do an artificial fade out before the credits start. >Sigh<) They slipped through because no one watched the check discs.

All in all, it was rather misguided to source some eight hours of raw material from the vaults if no one was going to bother to proof anything. They could've gone full-cheap mode and just used the analog masters. That'd have also been lame but at least the "off-the-shelf" excuse would've been valid, the cartoons would've looked about the same (sometimes better), and would've reduced the budget to, well, nothing. Live and learn, which is probably why this Popeye disc looks amazing.

That kind of stuff happens all the time on Warner releases, and it's probably just as you are describing: use the negatives for the visuals, but match them with whatever soundtrack is handy. Like Popeye Meets Ali Baba, which has the a.a.p. edit of 1940s end title music. The first (uncorrected) release of the Batman TV series has 1980s or 1990s 20th Century Fox fanfare audio combined with the correct 1966 visuals (the later fanfare is shorter and doesn't cover the entire length of the visuals). It is unfortunate.

The audio screw-up with the Porky Pig titles had to be due to the use of prints with mute audio on the title sequences. No other explanation makes any sense -- why would they deliberately change them, let alone so sloppily?
Einhander  
#164 Posted : Saturday, December 8, 2018 1:24:53 AM(UTC)
Einhander

United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 7 post(s)
FIRST NEW SCREENSHOT!(courtesy of Leviathan from Blu-Ray.com, who found the image source on Facebook)
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users thanked Einhander for this useful post.
Gabrielkat1991 on 12/8/2018(UTC), Jason Todd on 12/8/2018(UTC), PopKorn Kat on 12/8/2018(UTC)
Mesterius  
#165 Posted : Saturday, December 8, 2018 1:51:27 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Was thanked: 168 time(s) in 75 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Einhander Go to Quoted Post
FIRST NEW SCREENSHOT!(courtesy of Leviathan from Blu-Ray.com, who found the image source on Facebook)
UserPostedImage

Hmmmm... is that actually a DVD screenshot? It looks upscaled, and the height resolution of the picture is only 826 pixels rather than 1080 (Blu-ray resolution).

Just mentioning this because, while the colors look great, I don't think this is representative of the picture quality and resolution of the Blu-ray edition.
thanks 1 user thanked Mesterius for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 12/8/2018(UTC)
Gabrielkat1991  
#166 Posted : Saturday, December 8, 2018 1:54:01 AM(UTC)
Gabrielkat1991

Man
Canada

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Wow, that screenshot from Shape Ahoy looks so amazing! The colors look so much better than the faded Turner print.

If only the 40's Little Lulus and Noveltoons could look this good remastered from the original nitrate negatives...
"The dirty f**k!" - Bosko
Einhander  
#167 Posted : Saturday, December 8, 2018 1:59:34 AM(UTC)
Einhander

United States

Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post

Hmmmm... is that actually a DVD screenshot? It looks upscaled, and the height resolution of the picture is only 826 pixels rather than 1080 (Blu-ray resolution).

Just mentioning this because, while the colors look great, I don't think this is representative of the picture quality and resolution of the Blu-ray edition.

Perhaps the picture may have been compressed somewhere along the lines. I'll look into the Facebook post were this image came from.

But there's also the possibility that the source came from the DVD instead.

Edited by user Saturday, December 8, 2018 2:05:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Toonatic  
#168 Posted : Saturday, December 8, 2018 2:02:29 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

United States

Someone managed to even do a screenshot comparison:

https://forum.blu-ray.co...842355&postcount=327

And I do agree, the ENTIRE Famous Studios/Paramount library needs restoration and fast. Fortunately, we now have this (and I guess we can now say more to follow ;) ), several Noveltoons restored by Thunderbean, and even Paramount is playing ball by sublicensing its Puppetoons to B2MP. All we need is Kino and Shout! to take of the rest with Republic/Paramount and Universal respectively (but since Kino also has a deal with Universal, maybe its better for Kino to do the entire library).

PS. My DVD copy arrived today, watching it now (it's also an MOD disc btw).
Einhander  
#169 Posted : Saturday, December 8, 2018 2:10:00 AM(UTC)
Einhander

United States

Originally Posted by: Toonatic Go to Quoted Post

PS. My DVD copy arrived today, watching it now (it's also an MOD disc btw).

So, how's the picture and sound quality like?

Mesterius  
#170 Posted : Saturday, December 8, 2018 2:14:31 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post

Perhaps the picture may have been compressed somewhere along the lines. I'll look into the Facebook post were this image came from.

But there's also the possibility that the source came from the DVD instead.

I just now found what I believe is the original Facebook source for the screenshot, a posting by David Chaverz on Jerry Beck's Facebook page. He doesn't mention whether he bought the Blu-ray or DVD, but maybe someone can get in touch with him and ask. The resolution of the original Facebook pic is actually slightly higher than the version that's currently circulating on the blu-ray.com forum and here (1024 pixels in height rather than 826), but it looks really, really compressed. Certainly not anywhere near true Blu-ray quality. Here's the full-sized picture from Facebook:

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Saturday, December 8, 2018 2:36:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

PopKorn Kat on 12/8/2018(UTC)
dbear  
#171 Posted : Saturday, December 8, 2018 2:36:56 AM(UTC)
dbear

Was thanked: 203 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Once I receive the Blu-ray, I can provide full 1080p screenshot comparisons with the older Turner masters ripped from the Boomerang streaming service.

We should expect a BIG difference in colours for Her Honor Our Mare, The Marry Go Round, We're On Our Way to Rio, The Anvil Chorus Girl, Moving Aweigh and For Better Or Nurse. The late 80s Turner masters for those are faded to the point where backgrounds only display varying shades of pink and red.
thanks 2 users thanked dbear for this useful post.
Mesterius on 12/8/2018(UTC), Jason Todd on 12/8/2018(UTC)
Gabrielkat1991  
#172 Posted : Saturday, December 8, 2018 3:30:19 AM(UTC)
Gabrielkat1991

Man
Canada

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
To anyone who has this set, could anyone check to see which 1945 Popeye cartoon was the first to have that "red mountain on blue sky" Paramount logo? If it wasn't Shape Ahoy, then it could've been either Pop-Pie a La Mode or Tops in the Big Top.
"The dirty f**k!" - Bosko
Mesterius  
#173 Posted : Saturday, December 8, 2018 3:59:56 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Amazon update: The DVD is now also back in stock. And they've FINALLY added the actual cover art to the Blu-ray listing... hope the same is done for the DVD soon.

Speaking of cover art, could someone who has received the set share a picture of the back cover? Either Blu-ray or DVD version would be appreciated.
Toonatic on 12/8/2018(UTC)
raginggoodfella  
#174 Posted : Saturday, December 8, 2018 4:11:27 AM(UTC)
raginggoodfella

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
You humans convinced me. I pre-ordered the Blu-Ray from Amazon. Hopefully, this set does not have any problems like the other WB animation sets.
thanks 4 users thanked raginggoodfella for this useful post.
Mesterius on 12/8/2018(UTC), Jason Todd on 12/8/2018(UTC), Einhander on 12/8/2018(UTC), dbear on 12/8/2018(UTC)
Einhander  
#175 Posted : Saturday, December 8, 2018 5:34:14 AM(UTC)
Einhander

United States

Originally Posted by: raginggoodfella Go to Quoted Post
You humans convinced me. I pre-ordered the Blu-Ray from Amazon. Hopefully, this set does not have any problems like the other WB animation sets.

This is Warner Archive we are talking about. They handle things way more differently than Warner Home Video does.

Thad Komorowski  
#176 Posted : Saturday, December 8, 2018 5:45:41 AM(UTC)
Thad Komorowski

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 17 post(s)
As the shitbed Porky 101 proves... Thankfully it’s back to high standards.
thanks 6 users thanked Thad Komorowski for this useful post.
Mesterius on 12/8/2018(UTC), TibbyH on 12/8/2018(UTC), raginggoodfella on 12/8/2018(UTC), Jason Todd on 12/8/2018(UTC), PopKorn Kat on 12/8/2018(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 12/8/2018(UTC)
Mesterius  
#177 Posted : Saturday, December 8, 2018 6:13:14 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: ToonStar95 Go to Quoted Post
I have a Blu-ray player, but I can't take BD screencaps on my PC.

If I were you, I'd still go for the Blu-ray edition for the better viewing experience.

I guess I can understand the appeal in being able to play back the disc (and make screencaps) on your computer, though. What I've ended up doing myself – since very few laptops today even include an optical drive – is to invest in an external Blu-ray/DVD drive. The one I bought was of this type. As for playback, the free media player VLC can play Blu-rays without any problems if you download the proper codecs for it.

Edited by user Saturday, December 8, 2018 6:19:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ken Layton  
#178 Posted : Saturday, December 8, 2018 9:50:44 AM(UTC)
Ken Layton

Man
United States

Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 25 post(s)
My DVD copy arrived today. WOW it is great! Absolutely beautiful picture and sound. I've seen things in the background that I've never seen before. As an example, in Her Honor The Mare, look at the name on the mailbox when Popeye pushes the horse through the window and the entire wall revolves so the outside portion is inside. You'll get a nice surprise when you see the name on the mailbox.

I was blown away with the backgrounds in Pop-Pie A La Mode. You could actually see the night time stars in the sky! And watch the details in the cloud backgrounds.

In my opinion, people should definitely buy this disc. The colors are so eye-popping and the sound is crisp and clear. This is a billion times better than those faded, butchered, beat up 16mm tv AAP prints we're all used to.
thanks 7 users thanked Ken Layton for this useful post.
Einhander on 12/8/2018(UTC), Jason Todd on 12/8/2018(UTC), PopKorn Kat on 12/8/2018(UTC), Gabrielkat1991 on 12/8/2018(UTC), Toonatic on 12/8/2018(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 12/8/2018(UTC), dbear on 12/8/2018(UTC)
Toonatic  
#179 Posted : Saturday, December 8, 2018 10:34:13 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

United States

A friend of mine on Facebook commented me on my post for the release (I did have to note an error on For Better or Nurse_ and told me that his copy didn't shipped yet because Warner told him it was a "very popular" item:

https://www.facebook.com...ent_id=10213439798498364

Take that in for a moment. ;)
Jason Todd  
#180 Posted : Saturday, December 8, 2018 10:38:32 AM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Man
United States

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I just checked WBShop. Popeye is currently number 14 on the Best Seller list, for Blu-rays.

If this doesn't make Mr. Beck and the Archive happy, I don't know what will.