Celebrating Mickey on Blu-ray 10/23- Page 5 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
5 Pages«<345
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WaltWiz1901  
#81 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2018 9:24:30 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post
Ugh. I think Steamboat Willie looks terrible. It doesn't even remotely feel like true film. Not a hint of grain – it's smeary and sterile as hell.

UserPostedImage

There may not be any (visible) grain, but there are still some imperfections present in the picture - can you notice the *fringing* (I think that's what it's called) on the bottom of the frame and the artifacts on the right-hand side of the picture?
dbear  
#82 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2018 3:06:40 PM(UTC)
dbear

Groups: Registered, Researcher

Was thanked: 186 time(s) in 94 post(s)
I've seen the Steamboat Willie restoration on the Snow White Diamond Edition blu-ray. Even with the added back in "imperfections" it still looks *off*. I know it's mostly sourced off a dupe neg but the few Oswalds and Betty Boops on Blu-ray from roughly the same era look way nicer and more "film-like" than this.
thanks 2 users thanked dbear for this useful post.
Mesterius on 10/26/2018(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 10/27/2018(UTC)
Toonatic  
#83 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2018 4:38:04 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

Groups: Registered, Researcher
United States

Was thanked: 220 time(s) in 160 post(s)
WaltWiz1901  
#84 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2018 2:11:52 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Finally purchased this from Target today and can't completely get what all the negativity surrounding it's all about.

I watched The Band Concert, Thru the Mirror, and Mickey's Rival off it a while ago and, for the most part, I think most of these restorations are okay and not as severe as the process applied to most of the features. Just because Disney overdoes most of their current restorations doesn't mean they do it all the time; I was able to spot some imperfections and even some (admittedly faint, I might add) grain in a few instances. (I still hate that they chose not to include any bonuses or lossless audio and put some terrible artwork on the front cover)

(Oh, and for everyone who wants to contact Disney about the fake titles on The Band Concert, get that thought out of your head right now. Take a good gander at this:)
Originally Posted by: kazblox Go to Quoted Post
If I recall, the only known 35mm element of a theatrical 'The Band Concert' nitrate is a hands down first generation print from the original release and is held in a private collection or film archive.

Just because a photo exists of that said element on the internet does not mean that Disney has access to it or is bothered to examine it. Please understand that not everything is done on will, regardless of opinions or facts. A petition will not help; a bargain with a collector will do barely little.

However, Disney does ensure proper storage conventions and checkups on all the elements they have and receive, including nitrates.
kazblox  
#85 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2018 2:40:47 AM(UTC)
kazblox

United States

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Mind you, you immediately quoted that post without quoting the one below it.

Darn, I am an idiot. David Gerstein was the one who located the titles, and this knowledge and the existence of the material was public a while ago; Disney did acknowledge it as well.

Where and how I remembered that it came from a private collection was completely brain fuzz.

But my post that you did quote can apply to other films in Disney's archive. Just because an element exists does not mean that Disney will be bothered to go through the process without consultation. Not to mention that original materials outside the vaults are very scarce, and judging by their activities, Oswald is their main priority of interest in collecting films.

Erik has gotten his films mainly through eight years of collecting, bargaining and trading; risky activities. Even then, while plentiful, his library is still small. Money won't simply convince either.

Edited by user Sunday, November 4, 2018 2:49:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked kazblox for this useful post.
Mesterius on 11/4/2018(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 11/4/2018(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 11/4/2018(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#86 Posted : Monday, November 5, 2018 2:54:56 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Finally decided to watch each short in one sitting.

From what I'm seeing.....
-Steamboat Willie is near-pristine; doesn't feel a lot like film (even with the added-back-in imperfections). Comparing this transfer with the Treasures version reveals that there's more picture on the right, but less on the left, top, and bottom (I think...?) of the frame....
-....as is the case with The Band Concert, which is mildly cropped on all four sides; I can spot some grain, cel dust, and some other imperfections, but the original titles have been unnecessarily faked
-Thru the Mirror (again) has that insipid fake title card, but it doesn't appear to be de-grained to me and has a few visible specks of dust; I think this is a different transfer than the one they used on Netflix and on Alice in Wonderland's Blu-ray, could it?
-Surprisingly, they didn't put the Have a Laugh! titles for Mickey's Rival here - and it (to be perfectly blunt) is an (even if minor) improvement over the Treasures transfer; unfortunately, I can see that the right-hand corner of the picture has been cropped away
-Boat Builders unfortunately uses the RKO opening card from Tugboat Mickey - can't the people working on these title recreations read MPAA numbers and Roman numerals? - but has a fine-looking transfer regardless
-To make a long story short, Mickey's Trailer looks great (but why isn't there a MPAA number on the RKO slate?); definitely going to watch it off here from now on!
-Brave Little Tailor looks decent - I don't think I can say anything else about that one
-Tugboat Mickey looks perfectly fine
-Why didn't they use the 1941 RKO slate for The Little Whirlwind's opening sequence? That's just lazy. Decent transfer, though....
-....and the same could easily apply for Mickey's Birthday Party
-Gotta love how they faked the original titles for Pluto's Party - those look nothing like the original opening and closing cards! I don't even want to repeat what I said about "decent" transfers this time
-For such an unimpressive short, The Simple Things actually has a nice transfer - and the opening credits card definitely looks a lot like the original credits sequence. Still don't get why they reused the Tugboat Mickey RKO slate, though
-Most of the shorts' soundtracks sound better than their Treasures counterparts, so I'm at a loss of words at why they didn't use lossless audio here
(This was the first time (in quite a while) I was able to catch Get a Horse! and it looks *pristine* here, so I won't comment on it)

Edited by user Monday, November 5, 2018 4:07:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

WaltWiz1901  
#87 Posted : Wednesday, November 7, 2018 5:21:25 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

After looking through every short in this collection (as I have commented on above), I decided to do some screenshot comparisons with the Treasures DVDs (and, in one case, a "Gold Classic Collection" DVD) and was able to spot a varying amount of differences between both (or all three in some cases) transfers. If you're interested in looking at them, here you go:
-Steamboat Willie
-The Band Concert
-Thru the Mirror
-Mickey's Rival
-Boat Builders
-Mickey's Trailer
-Brave Little Tailor
-Tugboat Mickey
-The Little Whirlwind
-Mickey's Birthday Party
-Pluto's Party
-The Simple Things

(Forget about that "my personal choice" stuff; if you prefer the other version over the one I picked, that's perfectly fine with me. I couldn't get some frames from the Blu-ray to match up perfectly with their Treasures counterparts, but it was the best I could do when I was taking these pictures; trying to get a picture of one frame from Boat Builders on the Blu-ray, in particular, was incredibly hard)
thanks 2 users thanked WaltWiz1901 for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 11/7/2018(UTC), Mac on 11/9/2018(UTC)
kazblox  
#88 Posted : Wednesday, November 7, 2018 11:08:45 PM(UTC)
kazblox

United States

If anything, the older "Mickey Mouse in Living Color" restorations of 'Mickey's Birthday Party' and 'Pluto's Party' have a color balance less easy on the eyes, and so does the Treasures restoration of 'Chef Donald'; too oversaturated.

Edited by user Thursday, November 8, 2018 5:22:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

WaltWiz1901  
#89 Posted : Wednesday, November 7, 2018 11:52:11 PM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

If anything, the older "Mickey Mouse in Living Color" restorations 'Mickey's Birthday Party' and 'Pluto's Party' have a color balance less easy on the eyes, and so does 'Chef Donald'; too oversaturated.

Hmmmm......

(I could have explained how Technicolor works, but here's a blog post by Hans Perk instead)
kazblox  
#90 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2018 10:26:09 AM(UTC)
kazblox

United States

You're forgetting that 'Mickey's Birthday Party' was produced in the era where Technicolor labs still had key layer and that nitrate three color Technicolor elements have always varied in color. Stop being naive.

'The Hockey Champ' and 'Mother Goose Goes Hollywood', for example, I have seen an element from Steve Stanchfield where there was heavy warm emphasis on reds; Erik's nitrate of 'Plutos' Quin-puplets' had an emphasis on blues.

You're never going to get a constant picture from Technicolor elements. That being said, you're not going to change my mind.

Edited by user Sunday, November 11, 2018 10:28:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked kazblox for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 11/11/2018(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#91 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2018 10:59:05 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

You're forgetting that 'Mickey's Birthday Party' was produced in the era where Technicolor labs still had key layer and that nitrate three color Technicolor elements have always varied in color. Stop being naive.

'The Hockey Champ' and 'Mother Goose Goes Hollywood', for example, I have seen an element from Steve Stanchfield where there was heavy warm emphasis on reds; Erik's nitrate of 'Plutos' Quin-puplets' had an emphasis on blues.

You're never going to get a constant picture from Technicolor elements. That being said, you're not going to change my mind.

Never realized that. Thanks for the information - looks like I'm now split between both restorations now.
Bradskey  
#92 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2018 11:11:29 PM(UTC)
Bradskey

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Although I find some of the later selections curious, this seems like the day to finally sit down and watch this collection.
thanks 1 user thanked Bradskey for this useful post.
Toonatic on 11/19/2018(UTC)