Celebrating Mickey on Blu-ray 10/23- Page 4 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
5 Pages«<2345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nickramer  
#61 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2018 11:32:04 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Groups: Registered, Researcher

Was thanked: 241 time(s) in 200 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat Go to Quoted Post

I’d like to let both this Blu-Ray and Porky Pig 101 to be cautionary tales to remind future forum goers not to tell companies like Disney and WB to “shut up and take my money” so quickly. I see this as the Porky Pig 101 case all over again, but to a lesser extent. (For one, this is clearly a one-off destined for the bargain bin; not an overpriced five-disc set.) They’re both the same scenario though: sets with loads of problems that fans urge others to buy anyway in the hopes that we’ll get more shorts from that studio on home video. If the Porky 101 errors were a result of just not giving a darn, Disney’s restorations funnel piles of cash into soiling their own history due to poor decisions like drawing from the original animation cels to “restore” works, scrubbing grain clean, and literally retracing animation.

I'm sorry to get a little off-topic, but it still really irks me of people going after a project Jerry worked on just because it had some problems that more than irked. Sure, some of title music prints were wrong but it could've been a lot worse if it had black and white prints of Korean redrawns. Besides, can't Jerry afford a slip-up once in while? I hate to see these complaints happened if Thunderbean has some goof-ups with the upcoming Felix series (come to think of it, maybe if we could've gotten a "Porky in Black in White Volume 1 and 2" from Warners Archives instead, the mistakes might've been spotted quicker). My two cents.

Edited by user Tuesday, October 23, 2018 11:33:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

WaltWiz1901  
#62 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2018 2:45:08 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 74 post(s)
After having a look at the back cover on both Facebook and Instagram, I immediately thought about saying this:

If you think this is an acceptable way to release any of the shorts on Blu-ray, forget it. Not only is there a lackluster selection of cartoons (and you know something's up when the lineup here consists of five truly iconic shorts, seven run-of-the-mill ones, and - thanks to the studio releasing it three times on home video - what has quickly become the most accessible "Mickey Mouse" short *alive* (unsurprisingly, it's the most modern one in this compilation - and it's saying something when none of the black-and-white shorts, save a few, have made it onto home media legally after the Walt Disney Treasures line was silently cancelled)), but.....
-No bonus features listed on the cover. If there's none on the disc itself, what was even the point of including Mousercise Mickey and Paul Rudish Mickey? To alienate buyers who have no idea what Mousercise was and may be misled to believe that this is also a compilation of those hit-and-miss modern television shorts? (I would really appreciate it if there was at least a "through the years" featurette included here to justify the inclusion of those (amateurish-looking) sketches, but giving Disney's horrible treatment of whatever isn't one of their best-selling "Disney Vault" movies or a monstrous-hit-Marvel/Lucasfilm-produced blockbuster, I'm not counting on it)
-Lossy audio on the *truly* classic shorts (the technical specifications list Get a Horse! as having a 5.1 soundtrack, but they don't say what codec it's in). Why is giving vintage animation on Blu-ray lossy compressed audio tracks still such a big trend?! This isn't a budget DVD of cheesy CGI-animated television fodder, it's a Blu-ray of only part of one of the most famous and influential theatrical short series in existence! Why not give these classics - especially Steamboat Willie, The Band Concert, and Brave Little Tailor, all of which would benefit from it most of all - lossless high-definition audio?

Kat was right when she said this would be a destined-for-the-bargain-bin disc - very right. These specifications aren't acceptable for a Blu-ray release - rather a cheaply-produced budget DVD that should've been done for, say, Mickey's 80th anniversary.

(I was incredibly optimistic that buying this would lead to more classic Disney shorts on physical home media, but not now. The only benefit of getting this would be owning at least some of these cartoons in high-definition and with, at best, not as much heavy-handed restoration methods as the features. That's the only reason I'm still considering buying this - but I wouldn't be surprised if Disney responds to its sales by putting out even more lazily-produced compilations)

Edited by user Wednesday, October 24, 2018 3:03:58 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked WaltWiz1901 for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 10/24/2018(UTC), TibbyH on 10/24/2018(UTC)
ToonStar95  
#63 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2018 3:21:32 AM(UTC)
ToonStar95

Man
United States

Was thanked: 120 time(s) in 96 post(s)
Here's a trailer:

I know the set's aimed at families and not collectors, but geez that cover looks like a PD video.

I'm likely to get it digitally; it's like $10 on Google Play.

Edited by user Wednesday, October 24, 2018 3:23:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

PopKorn Kat  
#64 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2018 3:45:29 AM(UTC)
PopKorn Kat

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Administrators, Moderator, Beta Tester
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 311 time(s) in 231 post(s)
disneygeek98 on the blu-ray.com forums posted a link to this unboxing. What looked like a placeholder cover was final.

Yeah, this looks like one release I'll definitely be passing on.
thanks 1 user thanked PopKorn Kat for this useful post.
TibbyH on 10/24/2018(UTC)
Mesterius  
#65 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2018 6:13:59 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Was thanked: 132 time(s) in 52 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WaltWiz1901 Go to Quoted Post
After having a look at the back cover on both Facebook and Instagram...

Links?
thanks 1 user thanked Mesterius for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 10/24/2018(UTC)
TibbyH  
#66 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2018 8:20:29 AM(UTC)
TibbyH

United States

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Time for Celebrating Mickey to join the bargain bin. The Looney Tunes DVDs need a companion.
thanks 1 user thanked TibbyH for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 10/24/2018(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#67 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2018 9:02:32 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post
After having a look at the back cover on both Facebook and Instagram...

Links?

Here.

(Yes, the back does say that there'll be lossy audio on this compilation - but they're not always right. I would be incredibly pleased if this was the case)
thanks 2 users thanked WaltWiz1901 for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 10/24/2018(UTC), Mesterius on 10/25/2018(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#68 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2018 9:25:11 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Oh, and get this: according to Toonatic, The Band Concert and Thru the Mirror still have those stupid, crummy fake title cards! Brick wall

Bum-ta-freaking-tiss. Nearly every hope I had in this thing is disintegrating - but the only things that will still guarantee a purchase from me are the novelty of being able to get these shorts on Blu-ray and high-definition for the first time and the possibility of more shorts on Blu-ray of this sells well.
nickramer  
#69 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2018 11:24:11 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Was thanked: 241 time(s) in 200 post(s)
Calm down. It's not the end of the world. Most of us knew this release wouldn't be nothing special. At least, they didn't include the TV shorts and just stuck with the theatrical ones. I'm disappointed too in the lack of effort, but I just ignore the Blu-Ray and move on. Besides, I don't even have a Blu-Ray player.

Edited by user Wednesday, October 24, 2018 11:25:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked nickramer for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 10/25/2018(UTC)
Toonatic  
#70 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2018 2:14:40 PM(UTC)
Toonatic

United States

Was thanked: 220 time(s) in 160 post(s)
You can all disagree about the release if you wish, but I love it (save for the fake titles on two of the shorts which I will contact Disney about tomorrow).

Also an update for the Amazon listing; The good news, it's available to order again!
The bad news, it will be in stock by November 2nd.

Edited by user Wednesday, October 24, 2018 2:23:43 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mac  
#71 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2018 3:30:12 PM(UTC)
Mac

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 46 post(s)
This release isn't for me, so I'll skip it. It's not worth being angry about.

I am really surprised by that cover though. Just do an image search for "Mickey 90" and all other merchandise has more finished and professional-looking design and imagery.
thanks 1 user thanked Mac for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 10/24/2018(UTC)
Mesterius  
#72 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2018 1:18:16 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: nickramer Go to Quoted Post
Calm down. It's not the end of the world. Most of us knew this release wouldn't be nothing special. At least, they didn't include the TV shorts and just stuck with the theatrical ones.

Yeah, that's what truly makes the cover they went with so wonderful, innit? The big, prominent part of the motive is given to Mickey AS HE LOOKS IN THE PAUL RUDISH TV shorts, and not a single one of those shorts is included. Gotta wonder if the kids who recognize Mickey from those recent shorts will be a little confused/disappointed after they have talked their parents into buying this?

Also... dude, GET A BLU-RAY PLAYER! The moment you start watching 1940s Tom and Jerry in Blu-ray quality, you will never want to go back.
thanks 2 users thanked Mesterius for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 10/25/2018(UTC), dbear on 10/25/2018(UTC)
dbear  
#73 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2018 1:26:35 AM(UTC)
dbear

Was thanked: 186 time(s) in 94 post(s)
I'll probably end up picking up this release, but likely down the line when on sale. I don't seem to see any UK release for this scheduled so I'll have to import when it falls under the customs limit anyway.

Plus I'm too pre-occupied with other matters, money-wise.
Mesterius  
#74 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2018 2:09:23 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: Toonatic Go to Quoted Post
You can all disagree about the release if you wish, but I love it (save for the fake titles on two of the shorts which I will contact Disney about tomorrow).

Also an update for the Amazon listing; The good news, it's available to order again!

November... sounds like good timing for the anniversary. I guess the only thing that could make it better was if the date was November 28.
WaltWiz1901  
#75 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2018 2:10:43 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Toonatic Go to Quoted Post

Really? Even with the bare selection of shorts, primitive cover art, and lack of any bonuses whatsoever? Saying things like these really make me question how *sane* you are.... (and don't even bother contacting Disney about those fake titles; their treatment of their back catalog is so nasty, they wouldn't consider making a deal with, say, whoever owns that original The Band Concert print)

(And if people like you don't really support releases aimed at casual audiences, like the Classic Cartoon Favorites and the endless amount of "Tom and Jerry" budget discs, why do you support a release that's just as cheaply-produced as those? That doesn't add up.)
Yeah, that's what truly makes the cover they went with so wonderful, innit? The big, prominent part of the motive is given to Mickey AS HE LOOKS IN THE PAUL RUDISH TV shorts, and not a single one of those shorts is included. Gotta wonder if the kids who recognize Mickey from those recent shorts will be a little confused/disappointed after they have talked their parents into buying this?

Exactly.

Not to mention Mousercise Mickey; is the average consumer going to recognize him? Absolutely not - which makes the lack of a "through the years" featurette absolutely blasphemous. How the heck would they expect someone unfamiliar with either the show or the album to figure out where the "Mickey in a jumpsuit" sketch comes from?

Edited by user Thursday, October 25, 2018 2:17:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mesterius  
#76 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2018 2:25:20 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Not to mention Mousercise Mickey; is the average consumer going to recognize him? Absolutely not - which makes the lack of a "through the years" featurette absolutely blasphemous. How the heck would they expect someone unfamiliar with either the show or the album to figure out where the "Mickey in a jumpsuit" sketch comes from?

Oh, I definitely agree. What disappoints me even more about the cover, though, is how terribly drawn all of the "pencil sketch" Mickeys are. Just look at that god-awful drawing of Mickey from Brave Little Tailor, or the equally inept rendition of bland-1950s-Mickey. These sketches are supposed to look like production art, but what they REALLY look like is that someone with no understanding of even the most basic principles for drawing classic cartoon characters were asked to trace these off old model sheets and publicity art.

UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users thanked Mesterius for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 10/25/2018(UTC), PopKorn Kat on 10/25/2018(UTC), dbear on 10/25/2018(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#77 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2018 2:59:49 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Oh, I definitely agree. What disappoints me even more about the cover, though, is how terribly drawn all of the "pencil sketch" Mickeys are. Just look at that god-awful drawing of Mickey from Brave Little Tailor, or the equally inept rendition of bland-1950s-Mickey. These sketches are supposed to look like production art, but what they REALLY look like is that someone with no understanding of even the most basic principles for drawing classic cartoon characters were asked to trace these off old model sheets and publicity art.

UserPostedImage

Even I could draw a much better cover than that!

(Is it just me, or is the image of Mickey whistling at the helm of the boat in Steamboat Willie practically sprawled all over this thing? It's on the front and back of the cover, it's on the menu background, it's the picture they chose to represent that short on the "short selection" menu, and the sticker on the front cover loud-and-clear assures us that Steamboat Willie's on this disc, all right....and it's the only black-and-white cartoon included here. Remember what I said about it being the only B&W short Disney seems to care about nowadays? I was not kidding!)
Toonatic  
#78 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2018 7:55:36 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

United States

Was thanked: 220 time(s) in 160 post(s)
thanks 2 users thanked Toonatic for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 10/25/2018(UTC), Mesterius on 10/25/2018(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#79 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2018 8:40:24 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

So....
-Steamboat Willie, The Band Concert, and Mickey's Rival look fine to me
-Thru the Mirror is apparently the same smeary, de-grained "restoration" that's on Netflix and on the Alice in Wonderland Blu-ray
-This disc's transfer of Mickey's Trailer (which I had watched on Facebook a year ago) is a massive improvement over the unrestored videotape(?) master on Mickey Mouse in Living Color

Still going to buy this thing in hopes of more shorts on Blu-ray........but not as optimistic as I initially was.

(Does this disc have lossy or lossless audio? The back cover suggests the former, but it could be wrong)
thanks 1 user thanked WaltWiz1901 for this useful post.
Mac on 10/25/2018(UTC)
Mesterius  
#80 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2018 9:04:34 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Ugh. I think Steamboat Willie looks terrible. It doesn't even remotely feel like true film. Not a hint of grain – it's smeary and sterile as hell.

UserPostedImage

Mickey's Trailer on the other hand looks surprisingly good in this regard (and so does Mickey's Rival). Here you can really see the grain. The whole picture feels much more organic.

UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users thanked Mesterius for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 10/25/2018(UTC), PopKorn Kat on 10/25/2018(UTC), dbear on 10/25/2018(UTC), TibbyH on 11/4/2018(UTC)