Disney cartoons with original titles- home video releases - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Duck Dodgers  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2018 1:36:51 PM(UTC)
Duck Dodgers

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Hi,
I started this thread about classic Disney cartoons with original titles.
For example, the VHS "Donald's Golden Jubilee" got the original titles of "Rugged Bear", unseen (as far as I know) in other home video releases.

I remember to have seen "Don Donald", "Donald and Pluto" and "Pluto's Quin-Puplets" in some old VHS release with the original Mickey Mouse titles.
thanks 1 user thanked Duck Dodgers for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 9/7/2018(UTC)
Toonatic  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 7, 2018 12:42:50 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

Groups: Registered, Researcher
United States

Was thanked: 200 time(s) in 147 post(s)
There was a VHS tape that had Symphony Hour with its original titles.
thanks 1 user thanked Toonatic for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 9/7/2018(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 7, 2018 7:56:05 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 63 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Duck Dodgers Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
For example, the VHS "Donald's Golden Jubilee" got the original titles of "Rugged Bear", unseen (as far as I know) in other home video releases.

I remember to have seen "Don Donald", "Donald and Pluto" and "Pluto's Quin-Puplets" in some old VHS release with the original Mickey Mouse titles.

Do you still have those VHS' with you? If so, can you share the original titles of the shorts which I bolded the names of with us? (I really want to have a look at them)

(BTW, Pluto's Quin-Puplets was originally released as a "Pluto" cartoon)
kazblox  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 7, 2018 8:22:56 AM(UTC)
kazblox

United States

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 33 post(s)
The 'All Star Cartoon Revue' compilation sources a 35mm dupe of the original overseas theatrical distribution of 'Clown of the Jungle', with the differing title music arrangements.

Any home releases of Disney material sourcing that compilation have 'Clown of the Jungle' with it's original titles.
Mac  
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 9, 2018 2:21:46 PM(UTC)
Mac

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WaltWiz1901 Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Do you still have those VHS' with you? If so, can you share the original titles of the shorts which I bolded the names of with us? (I really want to have a look at them)

I'd love to see the titles for 'Don Donald' and 'Donald and Pluto' too, but are you sure you're not mis-remembering? If you can remember the title of the VHS and/or what country it was released in, that could be a big help too.
Duck Dodgers  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2018 12:28:45 AM(UTC)
Duck Dodgers

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Hi,

I got "Donald's Golden Jubilee".
I remember to have seen the other ones but I don't own them. The one with "Donald and Pluto" should have to bee an Italia VHS release (maybe there's an English equivalent) dubbed in Italian.
"Pluto's Quin-Pupltes" was never originally released as a Pluto cartoon. The series started with "Bone Trouble" in 1940. Disney released several Mickey Mouse cartoons without the mouse to test possible future series like "Don Donald", "Modern Inventions", "Donald and Pluto", "Plutos' Quin-Puplets".

thanks 1 user thanked Duck Dodgers for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 9/10/2018(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2018 4:00:38 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Hi,

I remember to have seen the other ones but I don't own them. The one with "Donald and Pluto" should have to bee an Italia VHS release (maybe there's an English equivalent) dubbed in Italian.
"Pluto's Quin-Pupltes" was never originally released as a Pluto cartoon. The series started with "Bone Trouble" in 1940. Disney released several Mickey Mouse cartoons without the mouse to test possible future series like "Don Donald", "Modern Inventions", "Donald and Pluto", "Plutos' Quin-Puplets".

Okay. If you find the other tapes you saw currently lost original titles on, make sure to take pictures of those titles so the entire world can see what would have preceded the shorts in question when they were first screened!

(Sorry to correct you, but Pluto's Quin-Puplets was originally released under the "Pluto" series. The original titles for that one have been found, and the series card addresses it as a "Pluto the Pup" cartoon. The other three shorts, though, were released under the "Mickey Mouse" banner)
Mac  
#8 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2018 9:16:38 PM(UTC)
Mac

'Pluto's Quin-Puplets' was part of the Mickey Mouse series?!
'Pluto's Quin-Puplets' was part of the Pluto series?!

You're probably both right! I don't know all the details, but I do know that in 1937 had two series "Mickey Mouse" and "Silly Symphonies" and, for bookkeeping purposes, the shorts at that time were assigned production numbers labelled "UM" for Mickey Mouse and "US" for Silly Symphonies. I believe the "U" must have stood for "United Artists".

I don't know the production number for Pluto's Quin-Puplets but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a UM number and so was classified as a Mickey Mouse cartoon in Disney Studio records, even if it was released on-screen with "Pluto the Pup" titles.
Using stills from a 35mm print of the cartoon, we can see what the original titles looked like in Erik's YouTube video here:

In 1936 Pluto appeared in a solo short Mother Pluto. In Merritt and Kaufman's Silly Symphony book, I learned that this short was originally assigned the production number "UM48" and designated part of the Mickey Mouse series. However, just before release, it was reclassified as a Silly Symphony and the production number became US38. I also learned that Don Donald was ultimately assigned a Mickey Mouse production code – UM48 (the code originally assigned for Mother Pluto) even if, on-screen, it appeared as a Donald Duck cartoon.

I'd love to see the original titles for Don Donald This is pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if it was a bit like the Silly Symphonies of the era with a "Mickey Mouse presents" card.

thanks 1 user thanked Mac for this useful post.
Mac  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2018 9:21:36 PM(UTC)
Mac

Scrap some of what I just said! "Pluto's Quin-Puplets" would not have had a UM number since it was distributed by RKO.
WaltWiz1901  
#10 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2018 10:32:13 PM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Mac Go to Quoted Post
'Pluto's Quin-Puplets' was part of the Mickey Mouse series?!
'Pluto's Quin-Puplets' was part of the Pluto series?!

You're probably both right! I don't know all the details, but I do know that in 1937 had two series "Mickey Mouse" and "Silly Symphonies" and, for bookkeeping purposes, the shorts at that time were assigned production numbers labelled "UM" for Mickey Mouse and "US" for Silly Symphonies. I believe the "U" must have stood for "United Artists".

I don't know the production number for Pluto's Quin-Puplets but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a UM number and so was classified as a Mickey Mouse cartoon in Disney Studio records, even if it was released on-screen with "Pluto the Pup" titles.
Using stills from a 35mm print of the cartoon, we can see what the original titles looked like in Erik's YouTube video here:

In 1936 Pluto appeared in a solo short Mother Pluto. In Merritt and Kaufman's Silly Symphony book, I learned that this short was originally assigned the production number "UM48" and designated part of the Mickey Mouse series. However, just before release, it was reclassified as a Silly Symphony and the production number became US38. I also learned that Don Donald was ultimately assigned a Mickey Mouse production code – UM48 (the code originally assigned for Mother Pluto) even if, on-screen, it appeared as a Donald Duck cartoon.

I'd love to see the original titles for Don Donald This is pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if it was a bit like the Silly Symphonies of the era with a "Mickey Mouse presents" card.

Hold on, wasn't Don Donald released as a "Mickey Mouse" with a title card saying "Presenting Donald Duck in Don Donald"? That's what I've heard so far.... (according to where I read this, what could be the original titles were up on YouTube for a while, but later deleted)

If I remember correctly:
-The "Mickey Mouse" series started in 1928; Plane Crazy was the first cartoon produced, but Steamboat Willie was released before it
-The "Pluto (the Pup)" series started in 1937 with Pluto's Quin-Puplets (promotional materials, like the original theatrical poster, classify it as a "Mickey")
-The "Donald Duck" series started not long after the "Pluto" series with Donald's Ostrich (two Donald solo shorts, Don Donald and Modern Inventions, were released as part of the "Mickey" series with title cards saying "Presenting Donald Duck in [name of short]"; there was no additional character series yet in early 1937)
-The "Goofy" series started in 1939 with Goofy and Wilbur (the original theatrical poster suggests that this was originally released under the "Mickey Mouse" banner, but the practice of using his name to headline shorts that didn't feature him at all and instead starred other characters was already phased out by this time)

Edited by user Monday, September 10, 2018 10:35:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mac  
#11 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2018 11:22:26 PM(UTC)
Mac

Walt-Wiz, yes I agree with you.

I think though that the title cards which read "Mickey Mouse presents Donald Duck in" [Don Donald/Modern Inventions] is still speculation – a guess at something that's likely rather than anything I've seen proof for.*

The advertising art I've seen for "Pluto's Quin-Puplets" all read "Mickey Mouse presents Pluto's Quinpuplets" (note no hyphen although it appears in the title card). The posters I've seen for "Don Donald" and "Donald's Ostrich" similarly use the Mickey Mouse presents headline. So, technically these shorts aren't being build as an actual "Mickey Mouse" cartoon, but they use the brand recognition of his name to say he presents them!

Since my last post, I've found out, from looking at model sheets, that the production number for Pluto's Quin-Puplets was RM1. Any RKO shorts in 1937 and 1938 which featured Mickey, Donald or Pluto used the RM production code whether Mickey was in them or not.

*Frustratingly, I do remember that partial original titles for Don Donald were up on YouTube in black and white at one point, but I forget what exactly they said. Wish I'd saved them.
WaltWiz1901  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 12:11:13 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Mac Go to Quoted Post
Walt-Wiz, yes I agree with you.

I think though that the title cards which read "Mickey Mouse presents Donald Duck in" [Don Donald/Modern Inventions] is still speculation – a guess at something that's likely rather than anything I've seen proof for.*

The advertising art I've seen for "Pluto's Quin-Puplets" all read "Mickey Mouse presents Pluto's Quinpuplets" (note no hyphen although it appears in the title card). The posters I've seen for "Don Donald" and "Donald's Ostrich" similarly use the Mickey Mouse presents headline. So, technically these shorts aren't being build as an actual "Mickey Mouse" cartoon, but they use the brand recognition of his name to say he presents them!

Since my last post, I've found out, from looking at model sheets, that the production number for Pluto's Quin-Puplets was RM1. Any RKO shorts in 1937 and 1938 which featured Mickey, Donald or Pluto used the RM production code whether Mickey was in them or not.

*Frustratingly, I do remember that partial original titles for Don Donald were up on YouTube in black and white at one point, but I forget what exactly they said. Wish I'd saved them.

According to another poster in another thread, the title card for Don Donald was labeled as "Presenting Donald Duck in Don Donald". This suggests that although Mickey doesn't appear in the short, his series was being used to "present" other character-specific cartoons released at the same time - he was still the most popular and recognizable Disney character during this period.

Getting this discussion back on topic a bit, here are some more original titles that were once included on home video, but eventually dropped at a later time:
-Mickey's Parrot (slightly different font for the cartoon's title; can be found on Cartoon Classics - Limited Gold Edition: Mickey)
-The Autograph Hound (can be found on CC-LGE: Donald)
-The Riveter (can be found on CC-LGE: Donald)
-Mr. Mouse Takes a Trip (MPAA number on the title card; can be found on CC-LGE: Mickey)

Edited by user Tuesday, September 11, 2018 1:07:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mac  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 1:31:31 AM(UTC)
Mac

A Knight for a Day had original titles on the VHS Here's Goofy.
ToonStar95  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 4:26:11 AM(UTC)
ToonStar95

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Man
United States

Was thanked: 112 time(s) in 89 post(s)
I'll name some off the top of my head:

Donald's Ostrich (Here's Donald)
Society Dog Show (Starring Pluto & Fifi)
Symphony Hour (Limited Gold Edition: Mickey)
Mac  
#15 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2018 2:57:44 PM(UTC)
Mac

I've been searching to see if I can find Italian VHS releases with these cartoons, but not much luck yet. Thing can get a bit muddled when we rely on memories, but I do think this is worth looking into because a lot of the early Disney VHS tapes are pretty obscure and it's an era when Disney releases often included different title sequences to the ones we see today. It's also possible that different prints were used for Italian (and other language) VHS releases because they would have a different soundtrack, so even if a UK or US VHS release included reissue titles, that's not to say that the same titles would appear on tapes made for other countries. Even though 'Pluto's Quin-Puplets' had a Pluto card and head-shot on the original US release, there's a possibility the Italian release still labelled it a Mickey cartoon.

The only Italian VHS with one of these shorts I've found so far is "Paperino Nel Far West" which includes 'Don Donald'. I think this may be made from a theatrical compilation which might not even include individual titles for each cartoon, but without watching the tape myself I can't say for sure.
Mac  
#16 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2018 6:02:10 PM(UTC)
Mac

Following on from my post earlier... since I had this morning off, I did a little more research. The IAD itself and http://vhswd.altervista.org have been the best place to find info about Italian Disney VHS releases.

I haven't been able to view these for myself but Italian tapes with Donald and Pluto are:
I Capolavori di Pluto
Cani e Simpatia
I 50 Anni Folli di Paperino
Pluto Aiutante Offresi

Don Donald
I Capolavori di Paperino
Paperino nel Far West
Paperino un Disastro di Eroe

Pluto's QuinPuplets
Paperino e la Sua Banda di Paperi
-This one appeared on a lot of German tapes:
Donald Ducks Tolldreiste Abenteuer
Donald und die Entenbande
Die Popcornschlacht
Pluto Held Wider Willen
Donald Ich bin der Grösste
Happy Birthday, Pluto!

Does anyone here own any of these videos to check if these cartoons have unique titles? If there are any, I think it's more likely they'll be on earlier 80s releases.