Celebrating Mickey on Blu-ray 10/23- Page 2 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
5 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WaltWiz1901  
#21 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2018 2:26:06 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nickramer Go to Quoted Post
Any press releases for this Blu-Ray yet?

I'm wondering the same exact thing now. What will be on this disc? Does anyone here have connections with whoever is behind this thing so we can get, at best, a list of the shorts and bonuses scheduled to appear here?
WaltWiz1901  
#22 Posted : Saturday, September 1, 2018 9:57:32 PM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Looks like we finally have a list of the shorts that'll be making an appearance on this disc:
-Steamboat Willie
-The Band Concert
-Mickey's Rival
-Thru the Mirror
-Boat Builders
-Brave Little Tailor
-Mickey's Trailer
-Tugboat Mickey
-The Little Whirlwind
-Mickey's Birthday Party
-Pluto's Party
-The Simple Things
-Get a Horse!

So....
-No black-and-white shorts (minus the most famous one, of course; why start with that and jump seven years to his more familiar, safer era; the era which signaled the beginning of his decline?)
-Only 12 classic shorts (the thirteenth short isn't even a full five years old yet!)
-Pluto's Party is not a "Mickey Mouse" cartoon! (everyone, just no; reissue titles are not very useful tools to learn from when you want to know who or what a certain short was released under)
-Out of the 13 shorts I thought should appear here, only six of them made the cut; my list had way more B&W cartoons than the paltry selection here

Anyone here hope that buying this will warrant a bigger, less disappointing selection of shorts make it on Blu-ray and not simply shunted to "Disney Play"?

Edited by user Sunday, September 2, 2018 7:29:39 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked WaltWiz1901 for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 9/1/2018(UTC)
Toonatic  
#23 Posted : Sunday, September 2, 2018 1:02:27 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

Groups: Registered, Researcher
United States

Was thanked: 228 time(s) in 165 post(s)
I for one hope if it does well, more will follow. Whether it's aimed at us collectors or for all audiences, I'll buy it regardless.

My concern is about the original titles used on this, let's not forget Thru the Mirror got fake titles on the Alice in Wonderland Blu-ray and The Band Concert the same (even though those titles were found and Thru the Mirror's titles were never lost in the first place).

Fortunately I run a Facebook campaign and next week I and several others will ask Disney to please make sure we get the REAL original titles for the first 12 shorts. Then again, if they gave Bambi the RKO logo for the Signature Edition, who knows? But it doesn't hurt to ask.
thanks 1 user thanked Toonatic for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 9/2/2018(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#24 Posted : Sunday, September 2, 2018 1:41:36 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Toonatic Go to Quoted Post
I for one hope if it does well, more will follow. Whether it's aimed at us collectors or for all audiences, I'll buy it regardless.

My concern is about the original titles used on this, let's not forget Thru the Mirror got fake titles on the Alice in Wonderland Blu-ray and The Band Concert the same (even though those titles were found and Thru the Mirror's titles were never lost in the first place).

Fortunately I run a Facebook campaign and next week I and several others will ask Disney to please make sure we get the REAL original titles for the first 12 shorts. Then again, if they gave Bambi the RKO logo for the Signature Edition, who knows? But it doesn't hurt to ask.

Don't count on it. The studio thinks it's more okay to cut corners and use the same exact "original" (read: faux) titles it's slapped onto almost every one of the shorts they restored than to actually spend their time finding the more legitimate originals (and in the first place, Thru the Mirror never needed to have its titles replaced with more modern, insipid ones).

You could try asking Disney if the real titles will be restored for most of the cartoons, but they could just as easily lie to you and instead use their crummy fake titles. Who's on the money that Pluto's Party will still have the wrong headshot and series card in its opening credits, they'll resort to using the fake titles, and Thru the Mirror will still have the wrong title card?
PopKorn Kat on 9/2/2018(UTC)
PopKorn Kat  
#25 Posted : Sunday, September 2, 2018 3:20:18 AM(UTC)
PopKorn Kat

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Administrators, Moderator, Beta Tester
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 330 time(s) in 240 post(s)
Paging David Gerstein...
thanks 2 users thanked PopKorn Kat for this useful post.
Toonatic on 9/2/2018(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 9/2/2018(UTC)
Mesterius  
#26 Posted : Sunday, September 2, 2018 3:50:55 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Was thanked: 172 time(s) in 79 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WaltWiz1901 Go to Quoted Post
Looks like we finally have a list of the shorts that'll be making an appearance on this disc:
-Steamboat Willie
-The Band Concert
-Mickey's Rival
-Thru the Mirror
-Boat Builders
-Brave Little Tailor
-Mickey's Trailer
-Tugboat Mickey
-The Little Whirlwind
-Mickey's Birthday Party
-Pluto's Party
-The Simple Things
-Get a Horse!

Uh, source for this info? I can't see anything about the contents on Amazon.

-Only 12 classic shorts (the thirteenth short isn't even a full five years old yet!)

You think Disney's marketing team cares about that? Their new animated features are "classics" the moment they come out. ;)

-Pluto's Party is not a "Mickey Mouse" cartoon!

Actually, officially speaking, yes it is. While Pluto is obviously the main character of its story, Pluto's Party was produced and released as part of the Mickey Mouse series.
kazblox  
#27 Posted : Sunday, September 2, 2018 4:50:08 AM(UTC)
kazblox

United States

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 52 post(s)
If I recall, the only known 35mm element of a theatrical 'The Band Concert' nitrate is a hands down first generation print from the original release and is held in a private collection or film archive.

Just because a photo exists of that said element on the internet does not mean that Disney has access to it or is bothered to examine it. Please understand that not everything is done on will, regardless of opinions or facts. A petition will not help; a bargain with a collector will do barely little.

However, Disney does ensure proper storage conventions and checkups on all the elements they have and receive, including nitrates.

Edited by user Sunday, September 2, 2018 5:01:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked kazblox for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 9/2/2018(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 9/2/2018(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 9/13/2018(UTC)
WaltWiz1901  
#28 Posted : Sunday, September 2, 2018 7:24:32 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post
-Steamboat Willie
-The Band Concert
-Mickey's Rival
-Thru the Mirror
-Boat Builders
-Brave Little Tailor
-Mickey's Trailer
-Tugboat Mickey
-The Little Whirlwind
-Mickey's Birthday Party
-Pluto's Party
-The Simple Things
-Get a Horse!

Uh, source for this info? I can't see anything about the contents on Amazon.

You think Disney's marketing team cares about that? Their new animated features are "classics" the moment they come out. ;)

-Pluto's Party is not a "Mickey Mouse" cartoon!

Actually, officially speaking, yes it is. While Pluto is obviously the main character of its story, Pluto's Party was produced and released as part of the Mickey Mouse series.

Originally Posted by: kazblox Go to Quoted Post
If I recall, the only known 35mm element of a theatrical 'The Band Concert' nitrate is a hands down first generation print from the original release and is held in a private collection or film archive.

Just because a photo exists of that said element on the internet does not mean that Disney has access to it or is bothered to examine it. Please understand that not everything is done on will, regardless of opinions or facts. A petition will not help; a bargain with a collector will do barely little.

However, Disney does ensure proper storage conventions and checkups on all the elements they have and receive, including nitrates.

1. A list of all 13 shorts was revealed just recently on Best Buy's website.
2. I hate to burst your bubble here, but confidentially, reissue titles should not be trusted. The theme music over the credits of Party (or at least the most common print or negative available) is clearly Pluto's, and both this and the original theatrical poster suggest that the short was most likely originally released under his name before being reissued as a "Mickey" (weren't both the Pluto and Mickey cartoons made by the same unit by the time it was in production?). The two pre-RKO Donald solo shorts have the same issue; they were both released under the "Mickey Mouse" banner at first (when they were first produced, all character-specific shorts were released under Mickey's name as he was the most popular character by then), but - understandably - reissued as "Donald Duck" shorts.
3. Unless there's someone like Jerry Beck or David Bossert around, I unfortunately have to agree with this. There is no way Disney can locate and slap on an original opening sequence for a couple of shorts here simply because someone made a petition for them to put it there.
thanks 2 users thanked WaltWiz1901 for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 9/2/2018(UTC), VoiceTalentBrendan on 9/13/2018(UTC)
nickramer  
#29 Posted : Sunday, September 2, 2018 10:35:16 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Was thanked: 242 time(s) in 201 post(s)
I hate to bust your bubble, but according to some official sources (Disney A to Z) "Pluto's Party" was indeed a Mickey short. The Pluto series ended a year earlier with "Cold Turkey". Personally, I think they should've gone with "Mickey and the Seal" (1948) as the mouse was a bit more involved in that short (plus, it was nominated).

Actually, the list doesn't look too bad. I'm surprised they didn't include one of the recent TV cartoons. "Get a Horse!" being on there doesn't really bother me as it is: A. a theatrical short and B. it feels more like something Walt would like unlike those aforementioned TV cartoons.

Edited by user Monday, September 3, 2018 1:03:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Source

thanks 1 user thanked nickramer for this useful post.
kazblox  
#30 Posted : Sunday, September 2, 2018 6:44:11 PM(UTC)
kazblox

United States

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 52 post(s)
Darn, I am an idiot. David Gerstein was the one who located the titles, and this knowledge and the existence of the material was public a while ago; Disney did acknowledge it as well.

Where and how I remembered that it came from a private collection was completely brain fuzz.
thanks 1 user thanked kazblox for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901  
#31 Posted : Sunday, September 2, 2018 8:07:11 PM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: nickramer Go to Quoted Post
I hate to bust your bubble, but according to some official sources (books) "Pluto's Party" was indeed a Mickey short. The Pluto series ended a year earlier with "Cold Turkey". Personally, I think they should've gone with "Mickey and the Seal" (1948) as the mouse was a bit more involved in that short (plus, it was nominated).

Actually, the list doesn't look too bad. I'm surprised they didn't include one of the recent TV cartoons. "Get a Horse!" being on there doesn't really bother me as it is: A. a theatrical short and B. it feels more like something Walt would like unlike those aforementioned TV cartoons.

Ummm.........isn't Pluto's Party classified as a Mickey cartoon because the reissue titles were (and currently, are) the only titles available for researchers to use? Certainly no one bothered to acknowledge whose theme plays during the opening credits....(things like this make me wish the real original titles were around so we can finally figure out who headlined this short then; surely if it was released as part of the "Mickey" series there was a different music cue opening the short up)

Again, there is no need to use the reissue titles as reference for anything as they can very well have an easy-to-spot mistake lurking within them (to name a loosely related example, did Jack Hannah direct Mail Dog and Charles Nichols direct Morris the Midget Moose? Of course not, Hannah was not part of the "Pluto" unit in 1947 and neither were any of the crew credited in the reissue credits for the former short; they both have their credits switched around). How would someone like it if they only had, say, a "Blue Ribbon" reissue of a "Looney Tunes" short, those titles classified it as a "Merrie Melodie", and they are then misled to believe that it must have been originally released as the latter?
Mesterius  
#32 Posted : Sunday, September 2, 2018 8:29:00 PM(UTC)
Mesterius

Was thanked: 172 time(s) in 79 post(s)
A list of all 13 shorts was revealed just recently on Best Buy's website.

Uhhhh... where exactly? I went to Best Buy's listing for the collection just now, but I can't see any list of shorts. (I tried scrolling down and ticking 'Details', but nothing.)
WaltWiz1901  
#33 Posted : Sunday, September 2, 2018 8:33:21 PM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Uhhhh... where exactly? I went to Best Buy's listing for the collection just now, but I can't see any list of shorts. (I tried scrolling down and ticking 'Details', but nothing.)

It isn't on their American website, but it is on their Canadian site....
PopKorn Kat  
#34 Posted : Monday, September 3, 2018 1:43:11 AM(UTC)
PopKorn Kat

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Administrators, Moderator, Beta Tester
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 330 time(s) in 240 post(s)
I've noticed that several members are neglecting to provide sources to their statements. I'll interrupt this thread by advising everyone to provide sources to back up their info.

Thanks.
thanks 1 user thanked PopKorn Kat for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 9/4/2018(UTC)
Mario500  
#35 Posted : Tuesday, September 4, 2018 3:30:56 AM(UTC)
Mario500

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)

It isn't on their American website, but it is on their Canadian site....

I was able to find such a list at this address for what I believed to had been the "Canadian site" for the "Best Buy" mentioned earlier:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/celebrating-mickey-multi-screen-edition-english-blu-ray-combo/m2228256.aspx
Toonatic  
#36 Posted : Thursday, September 13, 2018 10:15:05 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

United States

Back for pre-order on Amazon!
WaltWiz1901  
#37 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2018 4:21:13 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Man
United States

Semi-off-topic, but the Olaf's Frozen Adventure Blu-ray coming out only a couple of weeks after this compilation has some classic shorts on it:
-Winter
-Polar Trappers
-The Hockey Champ
-The Art of Skiing
-Pluto's Christmas Tree
(The "Once Upon a Wintertime" sequence of Melody Time and Olaf's Frozen Adventure (duh) are included, too)

I'm seeing two patterns here....
-Just one black-and-white short on each of these discs (I can tolerate that for the Olaf release (and I am surprised there's an incredibly obscure "Silly Symphony" on there at that!), but having a whole barrage of color shorts versus just the most *popular* B&W Mickey cartoon (which, ironically, wasn't even the first "Mickey Mouse" short to enter production!) is just wrong)
-There's some shorts double-dipped from an earlier Blu-ray (three of the five shorts I listed above are also on the 2013 "30th Anniversary Edition" of Mickey's Christmas Carol)

Not counting the more modern works, we now have 17 Disney shorts scheduled to appear on Blu-ray this year. Certainly a big improvement over only a handful (at best) making an appearance as a bonus on one of their movies - here's hoping this keeps up next year!
Toonatic on 10/12/2018(UTC)
ToonStar95  
#38 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2018 8:26:16 AM(UTC)
ToonStar95

Man
United States

Was thanked: 121 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Those shorts were included on the digital version of Olaf's Frozen Adventure released last year, after the show aired on ABC.
Toonatic  
#39 Posted : Friday, October 12, 2018 2:44:26 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

United States

And before that, attached with Coco in theaters.
dbear  
#40 Posted : Friday, October 12, 2018 6:03:38 AM(UTC)
dbear

Was thanked: 203 time(s) in 104 post(s)
How does WINTER and ONCE UPON A WINTERTIME look on the digital release? The others are the Have a Laugh restorations I assume?