The Magic Voyage - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Nicholas DS  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 31, 2018 6:00:18 AM(UTC)
Nicholas DS

Groups: Registered
Man
Canada

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
There isn't much information available about this movie, or perhaps I'm just not looking in the right places. From what I can find the film was very poorly received and stands with a 1 1/2 star rating on IMDB.

This film came out shortly before I was born and being of Italian decent my parents scooped it up and I watched it many many times as a child. I liked how Christopher Columbus spoke like my father and the songs and colors are delightful.

As far as I can tell this is one of the more accurate portrayals of Columbus ever put to film. He's shown as a complete idiot who doesn't even come up himself with the idea that the world is round. They touch on his affair with Queen Isabella. I particularly enjoyed that Columbus "thought the world was square" which is quite close to his actual recovered notes which state he thought the world was "pear shaped with a nipple like appendage on-top". In the film he asks for ships to sail to The Indies and sets off. His crew does not like him at all.

The film has apparently been criticized for nonesensical voice acting, poorly written script and cheaply produced animation. None of which I thought it had.

It is also fair to say that I have only ever seen the second edition by The Hemdale Corporation which apparently had different music soundtrack and different english translations. The first one was put out by Atlas Film

All in all, watching this movie as an adult I still very much enjoy it.
thanks 1 user thanked Nicholas DS for this useful post.
VoiceTalentBrendan on 8/1/2018(UTC)
nickramer  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 6, 2018 8:37:11 PM(UTC)
nickramer

Groups: Registered, Researcher

Was thanked: 242 time(s) in 201 post(s)
Personally, I thought Disney's unfinished featurette with Mickey as the explorer (which was planned in the late '80's but scrapped in favor of "The Prince and Pauper") would be a better project. The funny part is that as a kid, I thought it would be nice if there was a Christopher Columbus Mickey film not knowing about a real proposed project until a few years ago. Too bad they can't do a positive Columbus film now.

Edited by user Tuesday, August 7, 2018 10:38:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Nicholas DS  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2018 2:50:36 PM(UTC)
Nicholas DS

Man
Canada

Originally Posted by: nickramer Go to Quoted Post
Personally, I thought Disney's unfinished featurette with Mickey as the explorer (which was planned in the late '80's but scrapped in favor of "The Prince and Pauper") would be a better project. The funny part is that as a kid, I thought it would be nice if there was a Christopher Columbus Mickey film not knowing about a real proposed project until a few years ago. Too bad they can't do a positive Columbus film now.

Well I mean if you look at what he did historically there isn't anything good about that. The idea that he was this great explorer that discovered America was a lie spread by italian immigrants because they didn't want to be treated as badly as they were currently being treated. (Not that you can blame them)

In reality he sailed to a place full of people and slaughtered them all. That isn't really deserving of a positive film.

But I would sure love to see Mickey Mouse as an explorer. I sure loved the "Around the World in 80 days" Mickey Mouse cartoon. I still have the trading cards from it.

Edited by user Tuesday, August 7, 2018 2:53:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: typo fixing

VoiceTalentBrendan  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 9:11:53 AM(UTC)
VoiceTalentBrendan

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Man
United States

Was thanked: 108 time(s) in 82 post(s)
I'm sure it wasn't just the italian immigrants, it was also school textbooks, catholics and Washington Irving (author of Rip Van Winkle and Legend of Sleepy Hollow),

Washington Irving wrote the book A History of the Life and Voyages of Christopher Columbus (1828) and Washington Irving's bullshit stories about Columbus has been used in school text books for far too long

http://dhayton.haverford...mbus-and-the-flat-earth/
(link to an article by Darin Hayton)

Nicholas DS  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 12:05:37 PM(UTC)
Nicholas DS

Man
Canada

Originally Posted by: VoiceTalentBrendan Go to Quoted Post
I'm sure it wasn't just the italian immigrants, it was also school textbooks, catholics and Washington Irving (author of Rip Van Winkle and Legend of Sleepy Hollow),

Washington Irving wrote the book A History of the Life and Voyages of Christopher Columbus (1828) and Washington Irving's bullshit stories about Columbus has been used in school text books for far too long

http://dhayton.haverford...mbus-and-the-flat-earth/
(link to an article by Darin Hayton)

Yes and I am telling you, all of that, how it got written into textbooks and became an American holiday. All of it was due to italian immigrants.

Just think about that. How something so small can spread over the years. I think it's now called "modern mythmaking" It was a lie that was told intentionally and time passed, as it does and look at what has resulted. It's really fascinating to think about.
thanks 1 user thanked Nicholas DS for this useful post.
VoiceTalentBrendan on 8/8/2018(UTC)